• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Lots of Trade Talk Revolving Around Iggy

Eddie_Shack

likes oatmeal lumpy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
KK is on fire this morning! Although I guess Iggy trade talk is nothing new...

Actually I don't know if Bruce Garrioch counts, so we'll ignore him.

Time for Flames captain Iginla to consider move? | Flames | Sports | Calgary Sun

Jarome Iginla would never admit it, but he’s thinking about the possibility of life without the Calgary Flames.

So say several sources close to the longtime Flames captain who believe the 34-year-old winger is quietly struggling with the realization his dreams of winning a Stanley Cup will not play out in Calgary.

If he’s to complete the championship journey he fell one game short of in 2004, he will have to waive his no-trade clause or sign elsewhere two summers from now.

Until now, Iginla has publicly refused to believe what the hockey world has known for some time: The Flames’ downward trend is real. Publicly, he’s steadfastly insisted he wants to be part of the solution and win a Cup in Calgary.

Given the mess former GM Darryl Sutter left behind, that’s not going to happen anytime soon, and who could blame Iginla for trying to digest exactly what that means?

Jim Matheson is a reliable writer, even if he IS an Edmonton guy..

Hockey World: Former scoring machine Ovechkin running on empty

Will Calgary Flames captain Jarome Iginla walk into general manager Jay Feaster’s office requesting a trade in the next month or so?

What kind of market would Iginla, who’s struggling mightily with just 10 points in 21 games, expect to see?

Ray Bourque, who played with the Boston Bruins for 21 seasons, got a new lease on NHL life when he requested a trade so he could have a shot at winning a Cup. He was sent to the Colorado Avalanche and won the Cup in 2001 in his last game.

Bourque is one of the four best defencemen of all time, along with Bobby Orr, Doug Harvey and Nick Lidstrom. But all he fetched was Brian Rolston, Sami Pahlsson, slugger Martin Grenier and a first-round draft pick (they took a bust in Martin Samuelsson). None of them stayed in Boston long or at all.

Bourque was 39 at the time. Iginla is 34.

I don’t see a big market for Iginla if only because of his $7-million salary next season and most of the contenders are close to the salary cap or maxed out.Hockey World: Former scoring machine Ovechkin running on empty

The Wings have about $4-5M in cap space, depending on who's currently on IR... a contract like say, Jonathan Ericsson could clear the rest of that space up...

Bizzle McDizzle

all of your teams suck
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
hard to take on 7M for 10 points... unless you are badly in need of what he brings to the table (leadership, vet experience, toughness)... but most contenders have that already, which is why they are a contender.

Eddie_Shack

likes oatmeal lumpy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
hard to take on 7M for 10 points... unless you are badly in need of what he brings to the table (leadership, vet experience, toughness)... but most contenders have that already, which is why they are a contender.

You don't think with a change of scenery, a defense who can move the puck, and a real big boy center he could start potting goals?

Bizzle McDizzle

all of your teams suck
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You don't think with a change of scenery, a defense who can move the puck, and a real big boy center he could start potting goals?

Sure... to an extent.
But I doubt he'll revert to Hart form, still gonna get today's Iggy.

Worth the risk for 7M? Who (contender) can add 7M that has those ingredients you just mentioned already in place and can assume the risk?
Guess we'll see.

Eddie_Shack

likes oatmeal lumpy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If I could get him for the right price, I'd pull the trigger. Wings have about $5M in space right now, and about $17M coming off the books next year. I'm sure we could squeeze him in. I don't know that we necessarily need him for the "intangibles", but the Wings have been lacking a true power forward since Shanahan left, there's no such thing as too much goal scoring, and it always helps to have that one guy to rally around.

Bizzle McDizzle

all of your teams suck
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the 'Canes should make a move for him

He would be a valuable asset in a playoff ru....

meh, nevermind

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If it's going to happen this season, it will be close to the trade deadline as that's when you have the most suitors and teams will overpay if they think they have a legit shot to make a Cup run.

I agree with Eddie_Shack, Jim Matheson is a respected hockey writer plus he has first hand knowledge of a messy situation being based in Edmonton.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also, I have to add that I'm pretty disappointed with some of the people that frequent Calgarypuck, some of the stuff that I've read over the past couple of weeks has been totally uncalled for and in some cases, disgusting. I think some people need a reminder about how much Iggy has done for this franchise over the past 14 years.

/It's no surprise Iggy suffers from back spasms, he's been carrying this team for far too long.

Eddie_Shack

likes oatmeal lumpy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also, I have to add that I'm pretty disappointed with some of the people that frequent Calgarypuck, some of the stuff that I've read over the past couple of weeks has been totally uncalled for and in some cases, disgusting. I think some people need a reminder about how much Iggy has done for this franchise over the past 14 years.

/It's no surprise Iggy suffers from back spasms, he's been carrying this team for far too long.

Are people scapegoating Iginla? He's never had a true number one center, he's hasn't had a "good" supporting cast since '04, he's fought, scored, and lead that team almost singlehandedly through coaching changes and player turnover... he's one of the best captains in the league, and say what you want about the Flames but they have been consistent as hell. Ken and Mick were talking last night during the Nashville game, the ONLY other team to hit 40 wins each season for the last seven besides SJ and DET is... you guessed it, Calgary.

DaBoltsNIsles

PLAYOFFS OR BUST!!
Lost in the ABYSS that is Islanders Hockey.
Hoopla Cash
$ 588.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
KK is on fire this morning! Although I guess Iggy trade talk is nothing new...

Actually I don't know if Bruce Garrioch counts, so we'll ignore him.

Time for Flames captain Iginla to consider move? | Flames | Sports | Calgary Sun

Jim Matheson is a reliable writer, even if he IS an Edmonton guy..

Hockey World: Former scoring machine Ovechkin running on empty

The Wings have about $4-5M in cap space, depending on who's currently on IR... a contract like say, Jonathan Ericsson could clear the rest of that space up...

Sure, but would you be willing to give up Jurco, Nyqvist, Smith & your 1st round pick as well.

mattola

Scotchy Scotch Scotch!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sure, but would you be willing to give up Jurco, Nyqvist, Smith & your 1st round pick as well.

yeah to get Iggy you will be emptying the cupboard. I couldnt even imagine where he would go. I dont know who has the depth to part with that much to give it a go. if the Canucks could give up non roster players (top prospects but I dont think we have enough to give them) plus we would have to dump salary to hold him

man on the RW of the Sedins.......... .or Keslers line............. goshdarnitforthedream

but we dont have the space nor depth to afford that. that being said if I looked into the crystal ball and saw that it delivered a Cup I would A) mortgage my house on the bet and B) trade the fucking farm away even if it gave me 5 years of darkness.... just for one Silver Cup

DaBoltsNIsles

PLAYOFFS OR BUST!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 588.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Islanders could take him off the Flames hands for free. Consider it a favor. God knows the Flames wouldn't want any of their players. I mean Comeau is minus 1 after one game & the Flames lost 1-0.

Eddie_Shack

likes oatmeal lumpy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

That's two firsts and two guys who look like they should have gone in the first. Hossa didn't even grab that in his prime. Iggy is 34 and having a poor season. I would say a guy like Flip, Huds, or Ericsson to offset the salary, a first round pick, and then a good + a medium prospect would be more than enough. The bidding might go higher than that, but I doubt it. If I'm Holland, I offer Hudler, a 1rst, and a guy like Andersson and start from there. I guarantee Jurco, Smith, and Nyqvist aren't going anywhere for someone over 30.

mattola

Scotchy Scotch Scotch!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's two firsts and two guys who look like they should have gone in the first. Hossa didn't even grab that in his prime. Iggy is 34 and having a poor season. I would say a guy like Flip, Huds, or Ericsson to offset the salary, a first round pick, and then a good + a medium prospect would be more than enough. The bidding might go higher than that, but I doubt it. If I'm Holland, I offer Hudler, a 1rst, and a guy like Andersson and start from there. I guarantee Jurco, Smith, and Nyqvist aren't going anywhere for someone over 30.

If the flames keep flickering the way they are I would think it selfish by both iggy and the flames not to explore teh trade after firing Sutter first. Im shocked Hitchcock is not a Flaming Coach right now :)

DaBoltsNIsles

PLAYOFFS OR BUST!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 588.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Only 1 problem. He's the Flames franchise. If they don't get a good return the Flames organization will be crucified. They said last night during the Hot Stove that no team in the league cares more about the perception of their team than the Flames.

mattola

Scotchy Scotch Scotch!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Only 1 problem. He's the Flames franchise. If they don't get a good return the Flames organization will be crucified. They said last night during the Hot Stove that no team in the league cares more about the perception of their team than the Flames.

I think trading iginla for players like the oilers did for Smyth would hurt that teams attendance long term

DaBoltsNIsles

PLAYOFFS OR BUST!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 588.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think trading iginla for players like the oilers did for Smyth would hurt that teams attendance long term

I don't. The only problem with the players acquired by Edmonton was Snow & the Isles scouts knew they were going to be busts. If the Flames get the right package of prospects & picks they should make the deal. The problem Feaster has is he's going to have to take back some salary because no team other than teams like the Isles can afford Iggy.

mattola

Scotchy Scotch Scotch!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't. The only problem with the players acquired by Edmonton was Snow & the Isles scouts knew they were going to be busts. If the Flames get the right package of prospects & picks they should make the deal. The problem Feaster has is he's going to have to take back some salary because no team other than teams like the Isles can afford Iggy.

thats what I mean so I agree with you it will take best prospects to get him. Isles didnt give that. if that deal came to the flames for IGGY I dont think the phone call would end well. Oilers got squat for Smyth

DaBoltsNIsles

PLAYOFFS OR BUST!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 588.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
thats what I mean so I agree with you it will take best prospects to get him. Isles didnt give that. if that deal came to the flames for IGGY I dont think the phone call would end well. Oilers got squat for Smyth

Robert Nilsson & Ryan O'Marra were 1st round picks. So it's not like they weren't highly thought of at one point.

Feaster will have to be careful in who he gets in return.

esls79

I am?
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lots of trade talk revolving around the Ducks as well, but I doubt the Ducks would part with what is necessary to land him.