• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Los Angeles Lakers 2019-2020 Season Thread

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yea, Rambunctious. The Pig and Bird flu that caused SARS and MERS is a corona virus. The name given to those coronas as Pig and Bird were the names of the carrier. Coronas need an animal intermediate host. It was started in Monkies and now humans transmit it to one another by being stupid. Classic example: Wearing a mask doesn't protect you if you don;t have the virus. The mask is only good if you put it on the person that actually has the virus. Masks do not protect people who do not have the virus.

COVID 19 has an animal carrier and this time it was just recently identified in Thailand and Indonesia as coming from snakes because they eat snakes as delicacy believed to have magical powers. So if you follow the progression, COVID 19 could be called the Snake flu.

Dumbasses here in the United States are doing the DUMBEST things with this virus like believing if they get it, they'll die. Again, the deaths from corona's appearance in the past have come in the same class of people that other viruses affect to death and that is those people whose immune systems have been compromised.

So real young children, neonates and the elderly over the age of 70. Everyone else, the symptoms can be treated like the flu and people are fine like what is now happening in China where they are getting back to work.

Rambunctious

9er hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Exactly Retro and the corona virus is very similar to the common cold. Its respiratory and that is why elderly people struggle with it but not all elderly people die from it. The player that tested positive will be fine. Millions of dollars in ad revenue will be lost and if the NBA wises up and reinstates the season it will be too late. The season will have an asterisk pinned on it causing many fans to turn it off for the year. I hope this dumb move was worth it to the NBA. Because they really screwed up. IMO

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Really? I'm stupid? SARS pig flu and bird flu have come into the United states and killed more people than COVID19 has and the NBA went on. Ebola same thing, the NBA has over reacted and now the NHL is following them following being the key word because that's all people are doing, following others that know nothing about the Corona virus. The American people in my view has never been more easily frightened into changing their behavior and that is embarrassing. So when do we get pro sports back? If we follow the logic of the NBA the answer would be never because we will never be rid of new viruses. Grown men and women panicking like little children. I've never seen this in America before in my lifetime. My advise is to turn of the news until this has passed.

Yes, you are being stupid by calling it a global media driven panic. This isn't some made up thing or coordinated effort to scare people (because again, there's no reason why you'd do this). Multiple countries didn't get together and plan to shut themselves down, causing themselves harm just to say "You know, let's take this illness that really isn't a big deal but make it a big deal. That'll show em".

Rambunctious

9er hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, you are being stupid by calling it a global media driven panic. This isn't some made up thing or coordinated effort to scare people (because again, there's no reason why you'd do this). Multiple countries didn't get together and plan to shut themselves down, causing themselves harm just to say "You know, let's take this illness that really isn't a big deal but make it a big deal. That'll show em".
If the media reported all of the other killer viruses we have had over the last 20 years in the same fashion as they are with this one you would have a point but they didn't. And the NBA played on through them and Governors didn't cancel events and the NHL didn't stop and spring training played on and so did march madness. The madness here is fear driven. I for one will change nothing that I would normally do. I will go to movies and restaurants and concerts and I guess I won't see you there and will not have to wait in line. Hey maybe this is a good thing after all. No lines!

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the media reported all of the other killer viruses we have had over the last 20 years in the same fashion as they are with this one you would have a point but they didn't. And the NBA played on through them and Governors didn't cancel events and the NHL didn't stop and spring training played on and so did march madness. The madness here is fear driven. I for one will change nothing that I would normally do. I will go to movies and restaurants and concerts and I guess I won't see you there and will not have to wait in line. Hey maybe this is a good thing after all. No lines!

The mortality rate wasn't as high with other outbreaks of various diseases. Last I saw (yesterday), there's been 1500 cases reported here and 48 deaths. That's roughly a 3% mortality rate which tracks with the 3% rate China saw. Italy, which was slow in response and has now had its health system overrun is up to 6% because people can't get treatment. That mortality rate and how easily it spreads combined with the fact that it is a new virus, therefore no precautionary measures already in place (vaccines, hospitals ready with medicine and equipment), is why you've seen the extensive measures taken. With nothing in place, the best remedy to slow it down is stopping lots of stuff and quarantining lots of people. Slow the spread of the disease because there's a lack of preventable measures. You don't want an illness with a mortality rate that high just going thru a population unchecked as if its just some common thing not to care about. It's not. Mortality rates for stuff like the seasonal flu are less than 1%, some even less than 1 of 1%. The mortality rate of this coronavirus will come down when proper measures are taken. But again, its new, it happened quickly, and there isn't a lot of options to currently get it down quickly.

Rambunctious

9er hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The mortality rate wasn't as high with other outbreaks of various diseases. Last I saw (yesterday), there's been 1500 cases reported here and 48 deaths. That's roughly a 3% mortality rate which tracks with the 3% rate China saw. Italy, which was slow in response and has now had its health system overrun is up to 6% because people can't get treatment. That mortality rate and how easily it spreads combined with the fact that it is a new virus, therefore no precautionary measures already in place (vaccines, hospitals ready with medicine and equipment), is why you've seen the extensive measures taken. With nothing in place, the best remedy to slow it down is stopping lots of stuff and quarantining lots of people. Slow the spread of the disease because there's a lack of preventable measures. You don't want an illness with a mortality rate that high just going thru a population unchecked as if its just some common thing not to care about. It's not. Mortality rates for stuff like the seasonal flu are less than 1%, some even less than 1 of 1%. The mortality rate of this coronavirus will come down when proper measures are taken. But again, its new, it happened quickly, and there isn't a lot of options to currently get it down quickly.
Estimates are in the thousands of people around the world that have contracted corona virus but don't know it and haven't been to a hospital. They recover and move on thinking they had a bad flu. So comparing numbers and trying to judge the death rate with infected people compared to other illnesses is not possible at this time. Some doctors are beginning to ask whether the virus is even new. They are thinking it may have been around longer than we think at this time. Sorry my friend but this is being hyped. Most likely for global political reasons. That's my opinion.

Rambunctious

9er hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We went to the movies last night to see call of the wild. There were 5 other people in the audience. How sad for the theater owner. Its a small business. So if you are one that is not living in fear go out to dinner or to a movie. Go to the farmers markets and concerts. We need to try and keep these small businesses afloat until people come to their senses.

tomodach10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We went to the movies last night to see call of the wild. There were 5 other people in the audience. How sad for the theater owner. Its a small business. So if you are one that is not living in fear go out to dinner or to a movie. Go to the farmers markets and concerts. We need to try and keep these small businesses afloat until people come to their senses.

Sorry Ram, but it was Call of the Wild movie, that caused low turn out. LOL

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Estimates are in the thousands of people around the world that have contracted corona virus but don't know it and haven't been to a hospital. They recover and move on thinking they had a bad flu. So comparing numbers and trying to judge the death rate with infected people compared to other illnesses is not possible at this time. Some doctors are beginning to ask whether the virus is even new. They are thinking it may have been around longer than we think at this time. Sorry my friend but this is being hyped. Most likely for global political reasons. That's my opinion.

Well your opinion is wrong and you should rethink it. This is not some global conspiracy.

Rambunctious

9er hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well your opinion is wrong and you should rethink it. This is not some global conspiracy.
I didn't call it a global conspiracy but it is a global panic brought on by the irresponsible reporting of it. Its kind of concerning that it was unleashed into the world by China who we are in a global fight for economic supremacy with right now. And I wasn't surprised to see that the NBA which has an economic stake in China cancel its season so haphazardly. What would you bet that China told them to do it?. And the NBA dutifully complied.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A couple of things...unless something has changed that hasn't been reported, the NBA has not canceled it's season.

As for the reactions, imo, it's part real and part media driven hysteria.

It's real in the sense that people are getting sick and some are dying. It does seem a little stronger than most of what we see in a typical flu season and seems to spread a little faster too.

However, it also seems that the same folks who are most at risk during every flu season, are the same ones at risk now. Older folks, folks with compromised immune systems and the very young.

My mother-in-law is 85 and my wife has lupus. They are both at risk, so we are taking the same precautions we have for about the past 5 years.

My wife is at her Mom's (5 minutes away),'if my son or I get sick, she doesn't get exposed, they try to limit contact with folks who aren't family and family knows to stay away if they have symptoms or have been around someone who does.

The hysteria is media driven which is why people are trying to buy up all of the toilet paper and water.

Personally, I'm not taking any special precautions.

Last edited:

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't call it a global conspiracy but it is a global panic brought on by the irresponsible reporting of it. Its kind of concerning that it was unleashed into the world by China who we are in a global fight for economic supremacy with right now. And I wasn't surprised to see that the NBA which has an economic stake in China cancel its season so haphazardly. What would you bet that China told them to do it?. And the NBA dutifully complied.

You are literally describing a conspiracy. :L

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,551.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well......this blows. Got this weekend off and no live sports....

Watching UFC on ESPN.

tomodach10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A couple of things...unless something has changed that hasn't been reported, the NBA has not canceled it's season.

As for the reactions, imo, it's part real and part media driven hysteria.

It's real in the sense that people are getting sick and some are dying. It does seem a little stronger than most of what we see in a typical flu season and seems to spread a little faster too.

However, it also seems that the same folks who are most at risk during every flu season, are the same ones at risk now. Older folks, folks with compromised immune systems and the very young.

My mother-in-law is 85 and my wife has lupus. They are both at risk, so we are taking the same precautions we have for about the past 5 years.

My wife is at her Mom's (5 minutes away),'if my son or I get sick, she doesn't get exposed, they try to limit contact with folks who aren't family and family knows to stay away if they have symptoms or have been around someone who does.

The hysteria is media driven which is why people are trying to buy up all of the toilet paper and water.

Personally, I'm not taking any special precautions.
This run on toilet paper is ridiculous. I guess they did not hear diarrhea is not caused by the carona virus.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This run on toilet paper is ridiculous. I guess they did not hear diarrhea is not caused by the carona virus.

I think its more due to the fact that people think they'll be lockdown in their house for weeks at a time. But that's thinking wrong. Even in places where they've closed all public gathering places (restaurants, theaters, etc), grocery stores and pharmacies are still open. You're still allowed to go out and get supplies. But buying stuff up now creates shortages.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think its more due to the fact that people think they'll be lockdown in their house for weeks at a time. But that's thinking wrong. Even in places where they've closed all public gathering places (restaurants, theaters, etc), grocery stores and pharmacies are still open. You're still allowed to go out and get supplies. But buying stuff up now creates shortages.

People are idiots.

Yesterday afternoon I went to the grocery store to get eggs and cream cheese. There was a line to get into the store.

So, I walked up to the employee who was at the door letting people know when they can go in and asked what's going on. She says, the store is at capacity so we can't let everyone in.

I get inside the store and found out that was bullshit. I've been in that store when there were far more people in it. But folks were buying all kinds of bottles water, paper towels and toilet paper. They were trying to prevent fights. lol

This store is usually open 24 hours but they had a sign saying that they were closing from Midnight to 5am to stock their shelves.

So, I went back at a little after 5 this morning to get a couple of things that I forgot and there was already a line and the store wasn't open. There was an employee outside telling people that the store wouldn't be opening until 7 and how limited their supplies were on dry goods and water.

I decided fuck this, I'm not waiting 2 hours for powdered sugar and vanilla extract. I was amazed at how many people just stayed in the line.