• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Los Angeles Lakers 2018-2019 Season Thread

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 13,171.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who is to say the Lakers would not have tried to sign him. We have enough money for a max player with Zub. I dont think teams are going to be breaking the bank to sign Zub???

Nobody said "Break the bank" but he's in line for a hefty raise....

ANGELAKERAMS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Both trades were short sighted in my opinion.

Supposedly they needed 3 or shooting was the reason.

But Svi was was a good 3 or shooter already and only going to get better and Zublocka was a was better center than the center they got in return.

I would not be surprised to see Svi shooting over 40% from 3 at some point and Zu will be a great center off the bench if not a starter.

And I will be surprised if either player they got in return is on the roster next season.

Pelinka and Magic have shown they can draft, but their roster decisions are very short sighted and hasty to say the least

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There are also rumblings that a luring and signing of Klay Thompson this summer is also gaining traction. The Leonard talk is dying because Toronto isn't letting Leonard go anywhere anytime soon.

I'll be stunned if the Lakers get Klay.

From what I read and heard though, he has said that if the Warriors don't offer him a max, he'd be focusing on the Lakers.

Reports, including from his Dad, all say that he loves playing for the Warriors and being in the Bay area.

Having said that, I don't know if the Warriors will be able to handle the luxury tax that would come from signing he and KD to max deals.

My best guess is that there are 3 likely scenarios:

1.) The Warriors say "We'll give you a max deal, but that means we lose KD. If you take a close to max deal, we can bring him back". Klay signs for close to the max.

2.) KD signs another 1 year max deal and the Warriors decide to bite the bullet and sign Klay to a long term max deal and pay that huge luxury tax for one season. I believe they start playing in their new building next season, so they may want to open it with another title run.

3.) Klay and KD both sign 1 year max deals and we get this same speculation next year.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have no issue with the Lakers trades.

I like Zubac, but he is a solid backup/spot starter and nothing more. 10 years ago, he would be a solid starting center. In today's NBA he's a backup.

Mychailuk has the potential to develop into a solid 3 point shooter, but he's not ready for much in the way of quality minutes, especially in the playoffs.

One of the Lakers needs is perimeter shooting and they have addressed that. Bullock and Muscala should be able to help open driving lanes for Lebron, Ingram and Rondo.

They got some guys who can help without giving up much and they also opened up a roster spot to possibly add someone from the buyout market.

Additionally, Bullock is only 27 and on a 2 year $5 million dollar contract and is an FA after the season. So, if he doesn't perform, the Lakers can let him walk for cap space.

Same with Muscala who is also only 27. He is on a 2 year $10 million dollar contract and is also an FA after the season.

Not great trades, but definitely solid ones.

Lakers-Pistons trade grades: L.A. swindles Detroit in puzzling Reggie Bullock for Svi Mykhailiuk swap

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll give you the benefit of the doubt TJF12, but I have a tendency to disagree with your future prognostication for both Zubac and Mykhailiuk. I think both will become pretty darn good players in this league but I could be wrong just as well. Anything can happen and nobody knows the future. We can only guess and hope we were right. Nobody likes eating crow unless you have to eat op-possum!:lol:

ANGELAKERAMS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't get the "Svi is not ready to contribute in the playoffs" argument but somehow Bullock is.

Reggie has played a whopping 38 minutes in the playoffs. That does not count as playoff experience by any stretch of the imagination.

So, therefore, Svi is just as ready as Reggie.

And, you could argue, because Svi is young and doesn't know any better, the playoff pressure may not affect him as much as someone who is familiar with the pressure. I'm not making that argument, but one could be made.

I just feel both players offered more to the Lakers bench than who they traded for, and it looks like the trades were made to placate LeBron's style of play and nothing more ( without waiting to see if Svi or Zu could be those guys as both those guys big games came when LeBron was injured and have barely played with him due to Luke's stupid rotations ).

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll give you the benefit of the doubt TJF12, but I have a tendency to disagree with your future prognostication for both Zubac and Mykhailiuk. I think both will become pretty darn good players in this league but I could be wrong just as well. Anything can happen and nobody knows the future. We can only guess and hope we were right. Nobody likes eating crow unless you have to eat op-possum!:lol:

lol I have some good recipes for both if you need them.

Being a solid backup in the NBA, means you are a pretty good player. Imo, that's Zubac's ceiling in today's NBA. 10 years ago, he would be a solid starter. Today, he's a solid backup/spot starter.

As for Svi, I said he has the potential to be a solid 3 point shooter in the league, but he's not ready now.

DJ

Hoopla Cash
$ 13,171.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
James and Rondo at the Duke-UVA game.

DJ

Hoopla Cash
$ 13,171.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Both trades were short sighted in my opinion.

Supposedly they needed 3 or shooting was the reason.

But Svi was was a good 3 or shooter already and only going to get better and Zublocka was a was better center than the center they got in return.

I would not be surprised to see Svi shooting over 40% from 3 at some point and Zu will be a great center off the bench if not a starter.

And I will be surprised if either player they got in return is on the roster next season.

Pelinka and Magic have shown they can draft, but their roster decisions are very short sighted and hasty to say the least

Muscala is making 34% of his 3's, they added a C who can help stretch the floor.

Bullock is averaging 12ppg and making almost 40% of his 3's....they didn't add outside shooting over the summer and corrected that mistake at the deadline.

You need to surround James with shooters so when he is double-teamed he can kick it out to an open shooter.....

DJ

Hoopla Cash
$ 13,171.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
lol I have some good recipes for both if you need them.

Being a solid backup in the NBA, means you are a pretty good player. Imo, that's Zubac's ceiling in today's NBA. 10 years ago, he would be a solid starter. Today, he's a solid backup/spot starter.

As for Svi, I said he has the potential to be a solid 3 point shooter in the league, but he's not ready now.

James doesn't have 2-3 years to wait either, he's already gotten hurt once this season.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't get the "Svi is not ready to contribute in the playoffs" argument but somehow Bullock is.

Reggie has played a whopping 38 minutes in the playoffs. That does not count as playoff experience by any stretch of the imagination.

So, therefore, Svi is just as ready as Reggie.

And, you could argue, because Svi is young and doesn't know any better, the playoff pressure may not affect him as much as someone who is familiar with the pressure. I'm not making that argument, but one could be made.

I just feel both players offered more to the Lakers bench than who they traded for, and it looks like the trades were made to placate LeBron's style of play and nothing more ( without waiting to see if Svi or Zu could be those guys as both those guys big games came when LeBron was injured and have barely played with him due to Luke's stupid rotations ).

Reggie has been in the league for 5 years, starts and plays 30+ minutes per game.

Svi is a rookie who has played in 40 games and averages 10 minutes per game.

Of course Bullock is more prepared, he's been playing against NBA players for 5 years.

I think Svi will eventually be good, especially in a place like Detroit where he is likely to play more. As soon as the Lakers signed Lebron, it became about winning a title within the next 4 years. They don't have time to wait for Svi.

Plus, Bullock is an expiring contract. So, if he doesn't work out or if the Lakers need the cap space for a max level guy, they can let him walk.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You need to surround James with shooters so when he is double-teamed he can kick it out to an open shooter.....

The best part of these trades, imo...is that they added needed perimeter shooting without sacrificing any of their length and athleticism.

It's like Lebron said, Bullock and Muscala should open up driving lanes for himself, Ingram and Rondo that haven't really been there this season.

It'll especially be important in the playoffs when the game typically slows down a bit.

DJ

Hoopla Cash
$ 13,171.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bullock is also a tenacious defender.....something the Lakers can use a lot.

DJ

Hoopla Cash
$ 13,171.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope these trades don't turn this into the Rams master vent thread.....LOL.

DJ

Hoopla Cash
$ 13,171.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the Lakers were in Philly's trust the process mode, these trades wouldn't have made sense but the Lakers aren't in that mode. We're fighting for a playoff spot.

DJ

Hoopla Cash
$ 13,171.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The best part of these trades, imo...is that they added needed perimeter shooting without sacrificing any of their length and athleticism.

It's like Lebron said, Bullock and Muscala should open up driving lanes for himself, Ingram and Rondo that haven't really been there this season.

It'll especially be important in the playoffs when the game typically slows down a bit.

Yes sir.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am glad we got rid of that waste-of-a-roster-spot Michael Beasley though. The Clips did what we should have before he got into a shouting match with Luke. They didn't even let him walk across the hall but cut his ass immediately.

I'll be stupefied if Magic and Pelinka yield to James' likes of wanting the Lakers to sign a washed-up and done Carmelo Anthony just because James wants to be happy and there is an open roster spot. WTH?

DJ

Hoopla Cash
$ 13,171.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Reggie has been in the league for 5 years, starts and plays 30+ minutes per game.

Svi is a rookie who has played in 40 games and averages 10 minutes per game.

Of course Bullock is more prepared, he's been playing against NBA players for 5 years.

I think Svi will eventually be good, especially in a place like Detroit where he is likely to play more. As soon as the Lakers signed Lebron, it became about winning a title within the next 4 years. They don't have time to wait for Svi.

Plus, Bullock is an expiring contract. So, if he doesn't work out of if the Lakers need the cap space for a max level guy, they can let him walk.

I really liked the kid when he played but we raped the Pistons in that trade IMO.

DJ

Hoopla Cash
$ 13,171.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am glad we got rid of that waste-of-a-roster-spot Michael Beasley though. The Clips did what we should have before he got into a shouting match with Luke. They didn't even let him walk across the hall but cut his ass immediately.

I'll be stupefied if Magic and Pelinka yield to James' likes of wanting the Lakers to sign a washed-up and done Carmelo Anthony just because James wants to be happy. WTH?

I think Melo gets the roster spot.