• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: Los Angeles Kings @ San Jose Sharks, 4/3 7:30 PM

Psych3man

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ox, I think Corsi is computed by who outshoots who while you are on the ice

smackdown380

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
SJ not allowing any room and maintaing longer periods of possession. Need to get the forceheck to get going

oxnardkingsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ox, I think Corsi is computed by who outshoots who while you are on the ice

Thanks but I still don't know what that tells me. Looks to me like another meaningless statistic. Much like plus/minus.

Ox

Psych3man

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Those in the know say it's a very valuable stat...measures puck possession
Kings are #1 team in league in Corsi

oxnardkingsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well I'm obviously not one of those "in the know". Doesn't seem too valuable to me. If the Kings are number 1 in the league why aren't they number 1 in points?

Ox

pete6835

Buuuuuurp!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
aaaaahhh the Corgi scale.

PembrokeLucy2.jpg

pete6835

Buuuuuurp!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Toffoli is worthless

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Toffoli is worthless

Honestly starting to believe that. He had his hot little stretch last season and this season, but he either needs some serious seasoning in the minors or needs to be moved out of the organization.

Completely invisible 90% of this season yet occupying a roster spot. Showed a lot of promise but the results aren't there, praying he isn't POS II.

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Those in the know say it's a very valuable stat...measures puck possession
Kings are #1 team in league in Corsi

And Jake Muzzin is a really high scoring Corsi player. It's a stupid stat because it may show 2+2=4 but in reality 2+2= Muzzin just fucked the dog.

oxnardkingsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not a horrible game. Just couldn't generate enough offense and Jones lost that puck. Too bad the road winning streak had to end but it wasn't going to go on forever so might as well end it in a game that really doesn't matter.

Ox

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not a horrible game. Just couldn't generate enough offense and Jones lost that puck. Too bad the road winning streak had to end but it wasn't going to go on forever so might as well end it in a game that really doesn't matter.

Ox

Kings played decent but agreed, Jones losing that puck ended losing that game. The team in general played well. Doughty's injury concerns me but hopefully it isn't serious.

Jones looked a little rusty to me, I mentioned in the Dogs thread that they need to get him into 2 games at least to be prepared to play come April 16, now I am thinking 3.

Psych3man

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ox, did not at all intend "in the know" as a shot at you--was merely reporting what I read that the so-called hockey analysis experts cite Corsi more and more. Respect you too much to take a cheap shot at you, bro.

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ox, did not at all intend "in the know" as a shot at you--was merely reporting what I read that the so-called hockey analysis experts cite Corsi more and more. Respect you too much to take a cheap shot at you, bro.

I know Ox personally and he isn't like that (Ox - got your email BTW. I'll respond by the end of the weekend) at all, but that Corsi stat really irks me.

It's a great for possession stats, but what it fails to track - because realistically nothing really can efficiently - is what happens after that possession. Did they score? Did they get scored on? Did they turn it over? Did it go out of play? What exactly did that Corsi prove?

Much like the hits stat, a lot of it is subjective and depending on who you talk to you may get 3 different Corsi readings. I don't read much into it, I prefer to watch the player and see how effective they are. Nothing beats your own two eyes.

Martinez probably isn't even anywhere near the top 50 on the Corsi list on the season yet has been more effective than almost any player in the NHL the last month.

Psych3man

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Puck, what's your theory on what's up with Richards and his play this year? I keep turning this over and over in my little pea brain because I love the guy and his grit and team attitude but can't land on anything that seems to be truth. What do you think?

oxnardkingsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah Psycman, Puck has it right. I didn't take it like that at all. My comment was freely admitting that I really don't know that much about the details of the game of hockey.

Ox

ouendan1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's a great for possession stats, but what it fails to track - because realistically nothing really can efficiently - is what happens after that possession. Did they score? Did they get scored on? Did they turn it over? Did it go out of play? What exactly did that Corsi prove?

This is what I don't like about Corsi either. Another thing it doesn't take into account are actual scoring chances. They may get 35 shots on net and their corsi may be amazing, but so many of them are low percentage shots. Doesn't LA have one of the worst shooting percentages in the league? "Experts" may say they're due for an increase in goals but the system isn't a high percentage shooting system. Meaning their shooting percentage will remain well below league standard