• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Looks Like D'Antoni Is Staying

LucklessPadresFan

Creedence Fanatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's being reported in the Orange County Register/Inland Empire Press-Enterprise that the Lakers have decided to keep him for at least one more season.

According to Mark Heisler, it was reported to the newspaper by "a source inside the Lakers", but the Lakers have not officially announced anything and apparently have not told D'Antoni yet either. Apparently, the Marshall job that Dan D'Antoni just accepted was originally going to be offered to Mike, but Mike removed himself from consideration.

Heisler says the Lakers are apparently absolving D'Antoni of much of the blame for this past season given that they were missing Nash and Kobe for 141 of a possible 162 games.

Heisler made a couple of good points re: what the Lakers can do for next season to be a better team before they go after big name FA's in 2015 and/or 2016:

Re-sign Pau for one year at his current $19 million - This actually makes some sense. Heisler points out that Pau is actually the ideal center for D'Antoni's system and that their problem started with Dwight as Pau became the "odd big man out". If it works out, it gives Pau one more season at a salary he won't see again while also giving him a chance to show that his health can hold up for the longer term deal that he seeks.

They can also re-sign Swaggy P, Jodie Meeks, Kendall Marshall, etc. to nice 1 year deals as well as Steve Blake who said he's like to come back when he was traded. I'd throw Jordan Hill and Jordan Farmar to that list as well.

I agree with everyone that whether D'Antoni were returning or not, the defense MUST improve. Whether that means D'Antoni needs to spend the off-season doing the coaching version of Kobe's off-season workouts and immerse himself in defensive schemes and principles. Or whether it means hiring another defensive minded assistant to replace Dan and pair with Rambis, I don't know. But the defense HAS to improve.

In my defense of D'Antoni, I've said all along that I'd like to have seen what the team could have done if they were healthy for at least most of the season. If the Lakers handle this off-season correctly, we'll get to find out.

Thoughts?

Btw, as I was typing this I saw ESPN report that D'Antoni is staying, but the Lakers still haven't told him.

Laker haters are celebrating.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ultimately, the Lakers' most important decisions will be who is on next year's roster. While I think keeping D'Antoni in the fold will do nothing to improve Lakers' prospects, you have to have the horses and they have to play like professionals. D'Antoni can only do so much.

It's going to be a wild ride for another season or two, but there is light at the end of the tunnel.

:agree: These next couple of off-seasons are going to be the most interesting since Magic retired.

Louie26

Beavers Suck
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,238.10
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, we shall see if short buss lives up to his own edict.

What do you guys think of Mike Woodson?? Haven't watched the Knicks enough to get a clear picture of him. How would he do with Kobe and Co??

Would he be a guy to lure guys in?? OR Steve Kerr if NY doesn't hire him??!!

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What do you guys think of Mike Woodson?? Haven't watched the Knicks enough to get a clear picture of him. How would he do with Kobe and Co??

Would he be a guy to lure guys in?? OR Steve Kerr if NY doesn't hire him??!!

I'll pass. If he's not good enough for NY he aint good enough for LA

LALakersboy24.7

I am the Lizard King
Hoopla Cash
$ 206.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's being reported in the Orange County Register/Inland Empire Press-Enterprise that the Lakers have decided to keep him for at least one more season.

According to Mark Heisler, it was reported to the newspaper by "a source inside the Lakers", but the Lakers have not officially announced anything and apparently have not told D'Antoni yet either. Apparently, the Marshall job that Dan D'Antoni just accepted was originally going to be offered to Mike, but Mike removed himself from consideration.

Heisler says the Lakers are apparently absolving D'Antoni of much of the blame for this past season given that they were missing Nash and Kobe for 141 of a possible 162 games.

Heisler made a couple of good points re: what the Lakers can do for next season to be a better team before they go after big name FA's in 2015 and/or 2016:

Re-sign Pau for one year at his current $19 million - This actually makes some sense. Heisler points out that Pau is actually the ideal center for D'Antoni's system and that their problem started with Dwight as Pau became the "odd big man out". If it works out, it gives Pau one more season at a salary he won't see again while also giving him a chance to show that his health can hold up for the longer term deal that he seeks.

They can also re-sign Swaggy P, Jodie Meeks, Kendall Marshall, etc. to nice 1 year deals as well as Steve Blake who said he's like to come back when he was traded. I'd throw Jordan Hill and Jordan Farmar to that list as well.

I agree with everyone that whether D'Antoni were returning or not, the defense MUST improve. Whether that means D'Antoni needs to spend the off-season doing the coaching version of Kobe's off-season workouts and immerse himself in defensive schemes and principles. Or whether it means hiring another defensive minded assistant to replace Dan and pair with Rambis, I don't know. But the defense HAS to improve.

In my defense of D'Antoni, I've said all along that I'd like to have seen what the team could have done if they were healthy for at least most of the season. If the Lakers handle this off-season correctly, we'll get to find out.

Thoughts?

Btw, as I was typing this I saw ESPN report that D'Antoni is staying, but the Lakers still haven't told him.

My thoughts on this is Gasol really going to sign a deal with the Lakers, knowing that his always going to be mentioned in trade rumors & let alone for only 1 year. Same fo the other guys, they are going to be looking for 2 or 3 year deals, and I don't blame them. Also Gasol want's to go to a contending team, I don't believe he wants to waste the last years of his career in trade rumor talks in LA. That is the impression I got in his check out interview, it looks like his out of here.

If this happens we gotta get a big men in the draft if not Exum. Its going to be a very busy off season for the franchise.

tomodach10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
D'antoni does not know how to use big men. All he'd needs is a team of 3 point shooters. So sad.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
D'antoni does not know how to use big men. All he'd needs is a team of 3 point shooters. So sad.

Not true at all. Yes, the 3 is a big part of his offense. But guess what? The 3 is a big part of everyone's offense. That's how the game is played in the NBA these days.

As for not knowing how to use a big, also not true. He requires a mobile big (ever heard of Amare Stoudemire?). Pau is actually ideal for his system because he is mobile, is good with the pick roll, pick and pop, is an excellent passer and can even shoot the 3 occasionally.

The type of bigs that don't work in his offense are one's like Dwight or Shaq when he played because they can't be more than 5 feet from the basket. Bigs like Pau, Nowitzki, Bosh, etc. are ideal for his system.

lakersrule

ANUSTART
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The nerve of D'Antoni requesting that the Lakers pick up his 4th year option. I understand his point, but that's not happening.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The nerve of D'Antoni requesting that the Lakers pick up his 4th year option. I understand his point, but that's not happening.

:agree: The Lakers have decided to keep him around because they don't feel that he has been given a fair chance (even his most ardent detractors agree about that), so he should leave it at that and be happy. At end of the day, it was still a 27 win team and fair or not, he is still wildly unpopular with the fanbase.

Besides, we all know how the Lakers operate. If the Lakers have a healthy lineup and they see significant improvement in next years team, they will pick up the option during the season.

Last edited by a moderator: