• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Looking back on the draft

Hangman

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,152.62
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How many people were saying that the picks were not going to make it on the team and they were just there to compete and fill holes or the niners just could not make a trade out of that position. I felt that they were trying to move up and couldn't use those late round picks to jump as high as they would like and were settling for players. MY BAD

Every single one made the team or practice squad or in Coopers case made the 53 on a different team. Only one I am not too sure about making it is Dial who is on the PUP list. This was one hell of a draft and they found a lot of talent late. That all comes down to great scouting.

Now the 9ers are stock piling more 7th round picks. While I hope they use those as ammo to move up in the draft even if its a few slots. They might actually be looking for sleepers like BJ Daniels who has looked like he has a real good chance to be the back up by the end of the season. And Moody who switched positions from S to ILB and has looked and played well. Next season he will be the backup to both Willis and Bowman and he is a special teams stud.

If they keep drafting like this, players who are starting now will be back ups or traded and keep a solid team intact and become a dynasty all over again. I saw a dynasty coming 2 years ago when they hired Harbaugh and people asked me at the time why I could see one on a team that at that point was playing lousy. I replied they are solid at every position but QB who was average. Since that time the talent level has only improved and it seems that with all the draft picks that they will improve even more for next year. I hope they trade a 3rd for a second the following year. A ST player for a pick and then bring in more talent to get the best every year.

Not to mention that udfa will want to come to SF for one fact. They will get picked up by other teams because they look good playing with other people who play well. People cut by the 9ers were signing all over the place. UDFAs know that and will see that coming to SF is a big opportunity not just a chance to make the 9ers, but they will be treated like SEC bench players and grabbed up.

Man the future looks bright for the 49ers and the 49ers fans.:cool2::cool2::cool2:

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
hopefully they keep it up. great work by scouts finding all those players.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the Reid pick is making a lot of people look bad because as of right now he looks like the best Safety from the draft. A lot of analysts said 49ers made a bad pick and some said they took the 4th or 5th best safety. Well as of right now it looks like a great pick. Kind of like when the 49ers drafted Al. Smith. Everyone said it was a bad pick and he was a major protect. Nope came right in and started sacking people.

badazzk9

Key Master
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How many people were saying that the picks were not going to make it on the team and they were just there to compete and fill holes or the niners just could not make a trade out of that position. I felt that they were trying to move up and couldn't use those late round picks to jump as high as they would like and were settling for players. MY BAD

Every single one made the team or practice squad or in Coopers case made the 53 on a different team. Only one I am not too sure about making it is Dial who is on the PUP list. This was one hell of a draft and they found a lot of talent late. That all comes down to great scouting.

Now the 9ers are stock piling more 7th round picks. While I hope they use those as ammo to move up in the draft even if its a few slots. They might actually be looking for sleepers like BJ Daniels who has looked like he has a real good chance to be the back up by the end of the season. And Moody who switched positions from S to ILB and has looked and played well. Next season he will be the backup to both Willis and Bowman and he is a special teams stud.

If they keep drafting like this, players who are starting now will be back ups or traded and keep a solid team intact and become a dynasty all over again. I saw a dynasty coming 2 years ago when they hired Harbaugh and people asked me at the time why I could see one on a team that at that point was playing lousy. I replied they are solid at every position but QB who was average. Since that time the talent level has only improved and it seems that with all the draft picks that they will improve even more for next year. I hope they trade a 3rd for a second the following year. A ST player for a pick and then bring in more talent to get the best every year.

Not to mention that udfa will want to come to SF for one fact. They will get picked up by other teams because they look good playing with other people who play well. People cut by the 9ers were signing all over the place. UDFAs know that and will see that coming to SF is a big opportunity not just a chance to make the 9ers, but they will be treated like SEC bench players and grabbed up.

Man the future looks bright for the 49ers and the 49ers fans.:cool2::cool2::cool2:

I will agree off the bat the future is very bright and this years draft was amazing!

The deal if stock piling 7th round picks is there really isn't much value to them especially with a team as deep as the 9ers. Guys get brought in that have a very limited chance to make the team with expectations of making the practice squad. If they look good during preseason they have a high chance of being swooped up by a competitor. Also if guys are going to flock to the 9ers as a destination of desire wouldn't they want to try out anyways?

Trading a 7th rounders is only moving up 8 places in the 5th or 5 places in the 6th, depending on position. Also you have to find a trade partner that is going to want a 7th round pick, or throwing it in to sweeten a deal for bigger trade.

dredinis21

Swollen Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There are teams in this league where 7th rounders have a great chance of sticking onto their rosters based on the lack of talent around them. Teams like the Raiders and Jags are limited in the talent that they have so a 7th rounder could mean a bit more to them then they do to us at the moment.

badazzk9

Key Master
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There are teams in this league where 7th rounders have a great chance of sticking onto their rosters based on the lack of talent around them. Teams like the Raiders and Jags are limited in the talent that they have so a 7th rounder could mean a bit more to them then they do to us at the moment.

Very true, but if we are at draft position 32 and they are 1-5 its difficult to make that work.

EaseUrStorm

Chief Imagination Officer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Yeah, it can be real hard to move 7th rounders later in the draft. They're good to have around to sweeten some trades involving earlier draft picks. It baffles me that the bad teams don't take advantage of this and get more 7th rounders on the cheap to fill out their roster.

Cam Johnson was becoming a fan favorite, compared to other guys that weren't. That's the main reason for the backlash. Not sure if they moved him because he would definitely be cut, or if it was because several players were bunched together and he's the guy that the other team was willing to give up a 7th Rd for.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree I think Baalke likes to have some 7 rd picks so he can move up in rds 5 and 6. I mean we went to the super bowl alst year and almost the whole class made it on the team or atleast on the practice squad so that means they are drafting the right players for this team. It shows that the 49ers don't waste picks. They look for certain players.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
This seems as good a place as any to post this. I was slightly irritated by a recent NFCW blog post about the Hawks. Specifically:

The Seattle Seahawks have 17 players on their 53-man roster who were not part of the team that won 11 regular-season games last year. That seems a little unusual for a playoff team, but coach Pete Carroll is pleased with his squad.

“It’s just exciting they could find guys who could help us upgrade at key spots,’’ Carroll said. “We’re all about guys competing and earning their way. They earned their spots. Hopefully it makes us a little better.”

There seems to be something of a "look at how amazing we/they are" sentiment to the fact that the Hawks have a lot of players who weren't on the roster last year. I don't get it. By my count, the Niners have 20 players on their 53-man roster who weren't on the team last year. I'm quite certain the Ravens also have a lot of new players. This sort of thing is entirely ordinary. It's called the NFL.

yossarian

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This seems as good a place as any to post this. I was slightly irritated by a recent NFCW blog post about the Hawks. Specifically:

The Seattle Seahawks have 17 players on their 53-man roster who were not part of the team that won 11 regular-season games last year. That seems a little unusual for a playoff team, but coach Pete Carroll is pleased with his squad.

“It’s just exciting they could find guys who could help us upgrade at key spots,’’ Carroll said. “We’re all about guys competing and earning their way. They earned their spots. Hopefully it makes us a little better.”

There seems to be something of a "look at how amazing we/they are" sentiment to the fact that the Hawks have a lot of players who weren't on the roster last year. I don't get it. By my count, the Niners have 20 players on their 53-man roster who weren't on the team last year. I'm quite certain the Ravens also have a lot of new players. This sort of thing is entirely ordinary. It's called the NFL.

I think the Hawks are a really good team, well coached, and good front office, but they are also very much the current hot flavor of the month.

h0ckeysk83r

Haters gonna hate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the Hawks are a really good team, well coached, and good front office, but they are also very much the current hot flavor of the month.

Def agree with you there. But so were we in 2011 and we sustained it.

I wont be sleeping on them, especially since they have the luxury of playing in there stadium 8 times.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

me too, I felt 11 picks were too much and they should've traded a few into next season. granted, you can't wait till you reach round 7 (don't even think round 6?) and then trade. so again, was also one who felt they likely got too far into the draft, and couldn't get deals.

anyway, apparently they were targeting players for IR, so kept picks till day 2 played out?

yep, the draft is the life blood for any NFL team. do well in drafting and everything else gets easier, do bad in drafting and your organization spirals down. no doubt Baalke and Staff has to continue good drafting, cause this roster won't stay together long.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
me too, I felt 11 picks were too much and they should've traded a few into next season. granted, you can't wait till you reach round 7 (don't even think round 6?) and then trade. so again, was also one who felt they likely got too far into the draft, and couldn't get deals.

anyway, apparently they were targeting players for IR, so kept picks till day 2 played out?

yep, the draft is the life blood for any NFL team. do well in drafting and everything else gets easier, do bad in drafting and your organization spirals down. no doubt Baalke and Staff has to continue good drafting, cause this roster won't stay together long.

During this year's draft, there were three trades for 2014 picks. One of those trades was the Niners moving back at the top of the second round and picking up the Titans' third-rounder next year. The other two involved Cleveland giving up picks this year entirely for future picks. So the Niners made 1/3 of the trades for future picks in the entire draft. I don't think it was a case of it getting too far into the draft. It doesn't appear that there was much of a market for future picks this year.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

And as you note here, at least two of the guys they drafted were pretty clearly not going to be major contributors this year, so those choices effectively were future picks.

Last edited by a moderator:

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
During this year's draft, there were three trades for 2014 picks. One of those trades was the Niners moving back at the top of the second round and picking up the Titans' third-rounder next year. The other two involved Cleveland giving up picks this year entirely for future picks. So the Niners made 1/3 of the trades for future picks in the entire draft. I don't think it was a case of it getting too far into the draft. It doesn't appear that there was much of a market for future picks this year.

was thinking along the lines of 8 picks total PRIOR to the draft, trading the rest for higher 2014 picks. this didn't mean no trades or only use highest 8 picks, but end the draft with 8 picks. hadn't thought about injured players at the time. anyway, just saying I agree with the original poster.

for the Tennessee trade we still retained a 2013 pick, just moved down. we didn't trade a 2013 pick into 2014.

don't recall the Cleveland trade?

TODAY, it worked out for the most part, since three picks (Tank, Lattimore, and Dial) went to IR.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
was thinking along the lines of 8 picks total PRIOR to the draft, trading the rest for higher 2014 picks. this didn't mean no trades or only use highest 8 picks, but end the draft with 8 picks. hadn't thought about injured players at the time. anyway, just saying I agree with the original poster.

for the Tennessee trade we still retained a 2013 pick, just moved down. we didn't trade a 2013 pick into 2014.

TODAY, it worked out for the most part, since three picks (Tank, Lattimore, and Dial) went to IR.

Tank & Dial went to IR??? I thought they were just in the PUP.

This totally changes my expectation of the defense's play this season. Tank was supposed to play a key role by the end of the year. :mad2:

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

He said a lot of things, so it wasn't clear what you were agreeing with. A lot of us felt it would make sense to make trades for 2014 picks. Teams didn't seem interested in doing that during the draft, as there were only three trades total in which 2014 picks changed hands. We made one of them. We repeatedly used lower-round picks to move up, but ultimately there's only so many late-round picks you can dump. Given that 10 of 11 players ended up on the team in some capacity, six on the final 53, and the 11th is on another team's active roster, I'd say this draft to date has been a great success.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Tank & Dial went to IR??? I thought they were just in the PUP.

This totally changes my expectation of the defense's play this season. Tank was supposed to play a key role by the end of the year. :mad2:

They're on the PUP. As is Lattimore. It's technically the reserve/non-football injury list, but it's the same as the PUP. I'm not confident Fangio will play him, but Tank should have a chance to contribute late in the season.

http://www.49ers.com/team/roster.html

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
He said a lot of things, so it wasn't clear what you were agreeing with. A lot of us felt it would make sense to make trades for 2014 picks. Teams didn't seem interested in doing that during the draft, as there were only three trades total in which 2014 picks changed hands. We made one of them. We repeatedly used lower-round picks to move up, but ultimately there's only so many late-round picks you can dump. Given that 10 of 11 players ended up on the team in some capacity, six on the final 53, and the 11th is on another team's active roster, I'd say this draft to date has been a great success.

"me too, I felt 11 picks were too much and they should've traded a few into next season."

this isn't clear for you?

i'm not critiquing this draft if that's what you're responding too? again, just agreeing with the original post.