• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Looking ahead to next year----WR

DCWV4life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
WVU is losing 2,200 yards and 19 TDs with the graduation of their top outside receivers. Now look at the group below.

Here is WVU’s top returning receivers and what class they will be in.
1. Thompson, sr. 46 catches for 500 yards and 2 TD this season. Inside guy. More of a 3rd option. Played 12 games and started 8 this season.
2. Shorts, jr. 24 for 350 yards and 2 TD. Inside receiver but could play outside. 3rd option. Played 12 games and started 4. Catches cut in half this year but had about 1/3 of his catches in the 6 quarters that Howard was the QB.
3. Gibson, r-so. 3 for 13. Coaches got his feet wet this year after not playing any football last year, even in practice. Played mainly special teams and had 220 return yards and 5 tackles. Probably a candidate to start on the outside.
4. Parker r-fr. Redshirted. Was recruited by some big schools. Inside guy.
5. Marcellus r-so. Looked good last spring but had a knee injury and sat out the season. Inside guy.
6. Davis, r-jr. Has 7 for 70 in two seasons. 3rd team inside receiver. Maybe moving him to outside like they did Alford will help him.
7. Myers, r-sr. 4 for 15. Has 17 for 135 and 1TD in 3 years. 6-2, 200 but with little speed. Transfer candidate.
8. Mathis r-jr. Zero catches in 2014. Had 7 for 80 yards in 2013. Built like a safety at 6-1, 210. Transfer candidate.
9. Rodgers r-fr. Was a 4 star recruit after his junior year in high school. Dropped to a 3 star his senior year. Redshirted his freshman year at WVU. Outside guy.

Others.
1. Smallwood. 30 for 300. Has 41 for 450 in 2 season. With the depth at RB and lack of depth at receiver he may play more inside receiver next year.
2. Clay. 7 catches for 65 yards. Has 18 for 160 in 3 years with 1 TD. I have been asking for WVU to use him more but DH likes him as a blocker.
3. Wellman. 3 for 7. Clay’s backup.

WVU only has 2 WR commits. They are pursuing several others. I listed one of those below.
· Jovon Durante. 4 star from Miramar. Committed to WVU. About 5-11, 170. Reports say he is explosive with big play ability. Alabama, Auburn, Florida St., USC, and LSU all offered. May have some eligibility concerns.
· Khalil Lewis. 3 star from Miramar. Committed to WVU. About 6-0, 180. Reports say he is a little raw and doesn’t have elite speed. Ohio St., Miami, and Louisville are the other top 3 schools that have offered.
· Stone Wolfley. Scout ranks him as the 11th best TE in the class. Committed to WVU.

· Issac Witney. 4 star guy who played with Howard at Riverside JUCO. WVU battling Cal, USC, Washington St., Boise, Texas Tech, Louisville, and Nebraska. Outside guy 6-4, 200.

Anotherwvufan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Someone from that list will rise up and play on Sundays one day. Dana has no shortage of wide outs in the NFL.

My guess is that Gibson grows a set of hands and shines the next two years.

GoldRusher

Hoopla Cash
$ 768.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I saw Rogers in person at the Charleston practice last spring and while he has a lot of work to do and needs experience, he has about all the tools you could ask for at outside WR. I think he will be impressive and I think Shorts has been held back by Trick locking in on White too often. Don't forget the transfers and JC guys that we may nab before fall camp as well. I think we will be fine, maybe take a small step back but still fine and maybe even a little more diverse if Howard (or Crest ect..) spreads it out more.

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
DC, I applaud you for the effort you've made starting this thread and the stats you put together for GoldRushers thread. Nice job!

At BGN, the owner of the site always spoke of what a difference maker he thought Marcellus was going to be… up until his injury.

I have also read that Parker has some big time potential.

Gibson did not get to practice with the team until this summer. I won't be surprised if he doesn't break through with a great spring practice.

If I remember right, White didn't look like he could catch a ball last fall either. Look at the jump he made in 1 year.

Dana knows how to groom receivers. And, unlike the 2013 season, he will not be starting receivers across the board with no experience in the offense.

Slaton10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think they have a boat load of talent at receiver..what they don't have is a Kevin White type...but who does?

DCWV4life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think they have a boat load of talent at receiver..what they don't have is a Kevin White type...but who does?

Do not take this the wrong way, but Kevin White may just be a product of the system....he IMO did not prove he could take over a game at WR and teams to easily took him out of the game plan while still shutting down other aspects of our offense. Cooper from Bama has a way more polished game than White. (KW is my fav player on team and I have thought he would do well since we signed him)

By no means am I saying he is a bad player, but IMO next year will be an addition by subtraction either because of White being the only player that can make a play and others will be forced too or not having a QB that only looks for one WR.

I agree this position is deep and will be getting deeper with the new class coming in.

Slaton10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do not take this the wrong way, but Kevin White may just be a product of the system....he IMO did not prove he could take over a game at WR and teams to easily took him out of the game plan while still shutting down other aspects of our offense. Cooper from Bama has a way more polished game than White. (KW is my fav player on team and I have thought he would do well since we signed him)

By no means am I saying he is a bad player, but IMO next year will be an addition by subtraction either because of White being the only player that can make a play and others will be forced too or not having a QB that only looks for one WR.

I agree this position is deep and will be getting deeper with the new class coming in.

I guess I was trying to say from a size standpoint..the kid was a LB playing WR..no matter how many protein shakes Shorts drinks he will never get that big!

DCWV4life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess I was trying to say from a size standpoint..the kid was a LB playing WR..no matter how many protein shakes Shorts drinks he will never get that big!
:pound::suds:

DrPhil58

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree no issues at WR position. Yes I agree we should have someone with height that can catch the ball. I hope Marcellus turns into another Austin. Well, it doesn't hurt to wish for something big for next year, right! :)

Anotherwvufan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What ever happened to Jacob McCrary from last years class. He had 4.4 speed