• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Longhorns Super Bowl winning candidates

Innermind

Lithomancer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting bit of trivia:

Both Sean Payton and Tony Romo played QB for Eastern Illinois University.

Texas Jefe

Come and take it
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have absolutely zero idea who they will really go after, and in the end, who will accept. I just hope whoever becomes coach, he's really good.

Smart

Asshat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting bit of trivia:

Both Sean Payton and Tony Romo played QB for Eastern Illinois University.

It's not exactly a coincidence. Payton's the biggest reason he wound up in Dallas.

Smart

Asshat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At the end of the day, they'll wind up with James Franklin. He might not be the most accomplished guy, but he can match Sumlin pound for pound in recruiting and can gameplan well. The only unproven aspect is player development, and a program like Texas can always bring in associates capable of it.

Innermind

Lithomancer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At the end of the day, they'll wind up with James Franklin. He might not be the most accomplished guy, but he can match Sumlin pound for pound in recruiting and can gameplan well. The only unproven aspect is player development, and a program like Texas can always bring in associates capable of it.

Interesting that you mentioned the Pennsylvania native, James Franklin. I have him pegged as the new Penn State coach to replace Bill O'Brien, if/when O'Brien goes to the NFL.

Pariah

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
DKR - Former OU player
Mack Brown - Former OU OC

I think the answer is clear. Stoops to Texas.

outofyourmind

Oklahoma Sooners
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
DKR - Former OU player
Mack Brown - Former OU OC

I think the answer is clear. Stoops to Texas.

No, that list would look like this.
Josh Heupel
Justin Fuente
Garrick McGee
Mike Leach
Mark Mangino
Chuck Long
Kevin Wilson

LawDawg

Sic 'em Dawgs ... woof!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As a Vandy grad I fear this. Franklin is a beast. Really high energy guy. I don't think Texas is going to get a nibble from all these guys they are talking about, and Franklin will be the best of the lesser known coaches. Then they are going to be surprised at how good he is.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As a Vandy grad I fear this. Franklin is a beast. Really high energy guy. I don't think Texas is going to get a nibble from all these guys they are talking about, and Franklin will be the best of the lesser known coaches. Then they are going to be surprised at how good he is.

I am not sold on Franklin. I just can't figure out what he brings to the table. Seems more of a program guy, than a coaching guy

HuskerinBig10

Dad, World Traveler, Investor, college football
Hoopla Cash
$ 436.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am not really following the coaching search.

I will go Gruden, Malzahn, Patterson.

After reading the thread, I thought Gruden was a good fit, after all he does that draft day analysis stuff on players, where he sits with the player one on one, that is pretty good. But someone posted that Gruden only wanted to go back to the pros, I will believe it for now.

Gus Malzhan, didn't he say it was his dream job? Texas will be glad to buyout his contract from Auburn.

TCUs Gary Patterson. Not sure if he fits the criteria, but he built TCU, he knows how to recruit Texas, I wonder what he could do with only four and five star players? Maybe Nebraska could go for Patterson?

The coach I want at Nebraska, Jim Tressel. Hopefully, Texas will leave him alone.

Wishbone

Robust Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So the Sports Animal is reporting it's already down to 3 candidates.

1. Pete Carrol

2. Chip Kelly

3. Mike McCarthy

I would be hard for me to get real fired up about any of these guys.

charlie42s

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So the Sports Animal is reporting it's already down to 3 candidates.

1. Pete Carrol

2. Chip Kelly

3. Mike McCarthy

I would be hard for me to get real fired up about any of these guys.

#1 and #2, not even being considered because of the NCAA violations that they ran to the NFL in an attempt to avoid.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Style of play is just a bad criticism. If you execute your schemes at a high level you will win a lot of games. Auburn is a typical Big 12 team. They have a great offense and an opportunistic defense that can get after a QB. KSU has used barbarian football to win in the Big 12. Others are spreading you out and forcing people to use smaller and faster LBs to cover. KSU runs power at those players and is very successful, because people are not prepared for it. So you have a KSU running SEC schemes and succeeding in the Big 12 above their talent. Mizzu and Auburn are used Big 12 schemes to get to the SEC championship game. I think it is pretty strong evidence that scheme is not the important factor, it is the execution of your chosen scheme.

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
McCarthy. 5 yrs of college coaching experience 21 years ago.

1987-1988 - Fort Hays St (graduate assistant)
1989-1991 - Pitt (Quarterbacks Coach)
1992 - (Wide Receivers Coach)

There are a plethora of past successful pro coaches who failed miserably in the college ranks. Very few success stories.