• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Lol, this is getting ridiculous

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Which three teams?

Found an article saying it's the Giants, Cards, and Diamondbacks. Though this article alternates between "African American" and "black," which are not the same thing. A large number of Latino players have African heritage, and would thus be categorized as "black."

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is a bit of a tough call for me. I've got to say, although I agree with you in terms of warriors, braves, etc., I can understand people getting upset about Rebels. That mascot hearkens to confederate soldiers.

https://www.google.com/search?q=col...__iOOrV2QX7xYFY&ved=0CDUQsAQ&biw=1366&bih=638

I've never personally had a particular problem with it, but I don't believe someone who is bothered by it is necessarily being overly sensitive given this nation's history.

Having said that, even as I was typing that, I can't help but thing that the English or Irish could get upset about a Viking mascot, or Muslims about a crusader mascot, or native Americans about a Pilgrim mascot, etc. There's definitely a slippery slope element down that road, but for whatever reason, rebel seems somewhat different to me.

Redskins is also in a different league because it's a slur. Again, I don't personally get outraged by it, but I can understand why people might.

Let me just say this about Redskins - I understand people wanting to get rid of this name because at some point it was derogatory and it refers to skin color which is a touchy subject obviously, but at some point people need to realize the intent and context has A LOT to do with it, as well. The Washington Redskins aren't trying to be disrespectful or hurtful by using that name - the exact opposite actually.

The thing about "Political Correctness" is that it's very subjective. What's correct? Who decides what's correct? How many people need to be offended before we change something? It's just become a ridiculous onslaught of disgruntled groups that are just looking for something to be hypersensitive about at this point.

And really, where do we stop? You mentioned Vikings and Crusaders. There's also Chiefs, Braves, Indians, Hawks, Eskimos, Blackhawks, Tomahawks, Arrows, Aztecs, Apaches, Utes, Cherokees, Red Raiders?

What if tomorrow you have groups that are offended by 49ers, Reds, and Giants? What if PETA tomorrow decides that the Lions, Dolphins, and Panthers name is offensive and promote hunting? Honestly at this point people are just looking for anything and anyone to get offended by. Hypersensitivity is rampant and these groups are being empowered.

Caliskinsfan

Burgundy & Gold Forevah
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,569.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nicely said, Clyde.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Man Up,’ ‘Don’t Be A Pussy’ Labeled Offensive Language at Duke University

A new word-discouragement campaign at Duke University has labeled phrases such as “Man Up,” “That’s So Gay,” and “Don’t Be a Pussy” offensive language that “delegitimizes” homosexuality and oppresses and insults people.

But as the campaign has gained national popularity, its detractors have bristled at the effort, calling it a politically correct war on words that will stifle free speech and suggesting its true aim is to redefine terms to control public opinion and – ultimately – public policy.

In fact, the “You Don’t Say” campaign creators have admitted as much.

“Language is a reflection of how we think about others and view the world,” Jay Sullivan, a student leader of the campaign, tells Duke Today. “My goal is to…. help facilitate discussion about how language affects many social issues, from race to gender and sexuality.”

The campaign consists of a series of black-and-white memes with students posing behind large pledges to avoid so-called offensive language.

“I don’t say ‘No Homo’ because it delegitimizes love and sexual identities,” says one.

“I don’t say ‘Man Up’ because the strongest people I know have cried in front of me, regardless of their age, gender or sex,” says another.

“I don’t say ‘Tranny’ because it’s insulting to transgender and genderqueer communities,” adds a third meme.

Other banned words include “bitch,” because it “insists feminism is inherently negative,” “‘pillowbiter,’ because it only serves to hurt and oppress homosexual men,” and “pussy,” as it “implies that having a certain feature is indicative of being a coward.”

The recently launched campaign has spread far and wide on social media and gained national attention in a variety of news reports. The effort is similar to the recent “Ban Bossy” campaign, and akin to other university student efforts that have banned the term “illegal immigrant” on campuses.

The campaign is a collaborative effort between a newly formed group at Duke University called Think Before You Talk and Blue Devils United, a Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender and Queer student advocacy group.

The campaign has gained plenty of supporters, as well as detractors, whose reactions range from sarcastic to disgusted.

“I can’t say anything about an individual person, because it might be construed as offensive to a larger group… even if I had no intention of offending a larger group,” asks one Facebook post.

Others balk at the idea of being told how to choose their daily language.

“As a thinking individual, I don’t and didn’t need some children from Duke University admonishing me for ‘thinking any gender is inferior,’” says another. “Do you see what they did there? ‘Any gender.’ Not ‘either gender.’ It’s all about redefining terms, redefining life.”

Some commenters on Facebook hardly took the campaign seriously at all: “There is nothing wrong with being a HOMO. We’re all homos… homosapiens.”

In an interview with The College Fix, Dr. Mark Hendrickson, economics professor at Grove City College, expressed concern for the direction and potential implications of the campaign, such as the idea of a possible enforcement mechanism.

He also questioned the discouragement of statements such as “man up.”

“I’m a little concerned about censoring a phrase like ‘man up’… a world without manliness, like a world without femininity… would be a pretty dismal place,” Hendrickson said.

Hendrickson acknowledged the need for consideration of others when choosing one’s language, but he observed that proponents of the campaign appear to have a narrow agenda.

He noted, especially with the impending graduation season, that similar tolerance is often not afforded to conservative campus speakers.

“With anybody advocating the banning of a certain word or phrase… would they be willing to publicly say, ‘I promise in return to never hinder a speech by a political figure with whose political philosophy I disagree?” Hendrickson said.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The University of Utah Utes Student Association is trying to change their fight song, "Utah Man Am I" because that doesn't include women. :wtf2:

Xponentialchaos

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fcja4WFFzDw]Louis CK: Faggot - YouTube[/ame]

TheNinerMind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Redskins will go away. All that has to happen is one player or one staffer needs to do is site the name as a basis to get out of a contract or as part of an appeal.

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
why no fuss over Cowboys? that's racist...

What about Hurricanes? how many people lost their homes or lives....

Then there's Yankees... Union much? Can't show favoritisim lol...

My NJ Devils? enough said

Texans? that's racist...

Nashville Predators... advocating sexual predators.

stupid weak minded society..... damn I want to go back to the 90s...

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Man Up,’ ‘Don’t Be A Pussy’ Labeled Offensive Language at Duke University

A new word-discouragement campaign at Duke University has labeled phrases such as “Man Up,” “That’s So Gay,” and “Don’t Be a Pussy” offensive language that “delegitimizes” homosexuality and oppresses and insults people.

But as the campaign has gained national popularity, its detractors have bristled at the effort, calling it a politically correct war on words that will stifle free speech and suggesting its true aim is to redefine terms to control public opinion and – ultimately – public policy.

In fact, the “You Don’t Say” campaign creators have admitted as much.

“Language is a reflection of how we think about others and view the world,” Jay Sullivan, a student leader of the campaign, tells Duke Today. “My goal is to…. help facilitate discussion about how language affects many social issues, from race to gender and sexuality.”

The campaign consists of a series of black-and-white memes with students posing behind large pledges to avoid so-called offensive language.

“I don’t say ‘No Homo’ because it delegitimizes love and sexual identities,” says one.

“I don’t say ‘Man Up’ because the strongest people I know have cried in front of me, regardless of their age, gender or sex,” says another.

“I don’t say ‘Tranny’ because it’s insulting to transgender and genderqueer communities,” adds a third meme.

Other banned words include “bitch,” because it “insists feminism is inherently negative,” “‘pillowbiter,’ because it only serves to hurt and oppress homosexual men,” and “pussy,” as it “implies that having a certain feature is indicative of being a coward.”

The recently launched campaign has spread far and wide on social media and gained national attention in a variety of news reports. The effort is similar to the recent “Ban Bossy” campaign, and akin to other university student efforts that have banned the term “illegal immigrant” on campuses.

The campaign is a collaborative effort between a newly formed group at Duke University called Think Before You Talk and Blue Devils United, a Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender and Queer student advocacy group.

The campaign has gained plenty of supporters, as well as detractors, whose reactions range from sarcastic to disgusted.

“I can’t say anything about an individual person, because it might be construed as offensive to a larger group… even if I had no intention of offending a larger group,” asks one Facebook post.

Others balk at the idea of being told how to choose their daily language.

“As a thinking individual, I don’t and didn’t need some children from Duke University admonishing me for ‘thinking any gender is inferior,’” says another. “Do you see what they did there? ‘Any gender.’ Not ‘either gender.’ It’s all about redefining terms, redefining life.”

Some commenters on Facebook hardly took the campaign seriously at all: “There is nothing wrong with being a HOMO. We’re all homos… homosapiens.”

In an interview with The College Fix, Dr. Mark Hendrickson, economics professor at Grove City College, expressed concern for the direction and potential implications of the campaign, such as the idea of a possible enforcement mechanism.

He also questioned the discouragement of statements such as “man up.”

“I’m a little concerned about censoring a phrase like ‘man up’… a world without manliness, like a world without femininity… would be a pretty dismal place,” Hendrickson said.

Hendrickson acknowledged the need for consideration of others when choosing one’s language, but he observed that proponents of the campaign appear to have a narrow agenda.

He noted, especially with the impending graduation season, that similar tolerance is often not afforded to conservative campus speakers.

“With anybody advocating the banning of a certain word or phrase… would they be willing to publicly say, ‘I promise in return to never hinder a speech by a political figure with whose political philosophy I disagree?” Hendrickson said.

I totally thought this was an onion article until I just saw another article on it. That's pretty over-the-top.