• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Toughest Schedules in College Football this season (List)

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Serious no Oregon?

We get Virginia and @Nebraska on our OOC.

Then we have to play Stanford, Washington, @WSU, @cal, and @USC.

FEI based SoS has you 33rd best SoS this year. Which is a bit tougher than usual for Oregon, but in general is just slightly above average.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I couldn't disagree more. Each OC we've had under Saban has had their own ways of doing things. I've seen much different offenses over the years. McElwain and Kiffin aren't even close to being alike.

Our offenses from this past year to the days when Saban first came to Alabama is like night and day.

At best, I think there have been a few times where Saban did take control in the middle of a game and force more ball running. Nuss especially.

I've always thought it was lazy journalism when people claim Alabama is always this or that when it comes to what goes on. Saban is successful because he adapts.

Get reading for a heaping load of RPO's this year from Alabama. We only recruit dual threat QB's now and which ever of the 3 wins the QB this year, they will be a dual threat QB. You'll be seeing read options and all that.

Not like they go from Pro to Spread in 1 year. Each OC operates differently. There is freedom inside a frame work. A little step towards modern offenses is common. RPO is common everywhere now. It is not a spread principle. Not like you ignore trends and innovation. I dont think we will ever confuse Bama's offense with Baylor's. In the last 8 years, Bama has finished outside the top 3 in rushing 3 times (#4, #5, and #6) in conference play. They have finished in the top 3 once in passing. 6 of last 8 years, they have been top 3 in TOP. Twice finishing #4. They have run between 63.77-69 plays in 7 of the 8 years (72.7 in 2014). Run plays account for 55-63% of play calls. It fair to say that in the last 8 years Bama has been a methodical offense featuring the power run. Formations may change a bit, but they certainly have a philosophy to what they are trying to do.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not like they go from Pro to Spread in 1 year. Each OC operates differently. There is freedom inside a frame work. A little step towards modern offenses is common. RPO is common everywhere now. It is not a spread principle. Not like you ignore trends and innovation. I dont think we will ever confuse Bama's offense with Baylor's. In the last 8 years, Bama has finished outside the top 3 in rushing 3 times (#4, #5, and #6) in conference play. They have finished in the top 3 once in passing. 6 of last 8 years, they have been top 3 in TOP. Twice finishing #4. They have run between 63.77-69 plays in 7 of the 8 years (72.7 in 2014). Run plays account for 55-63% of play calls. It fair to say that in the last 8 years Bama has been a methodical offense featuring the power run. Formations may change a bit, but they certainly have a philosophy to what they are trying to do.

Against Texas in 2009, Greg McElroy went for 58 yards, 6 for 11 passing, 0 TDs and 0 INT's. 4 of those 6 completions were to our RB's.

Against Clemson in 2015, Coker went 335 yards, 16 for 25, 2 TDs and 0 INT's.

It's like night and day.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Against Texas in 2009, Greg McElroy went for 58 yards, 6 for 11 passing, 0 TDs and 0 INT's. 4 of those 6 completions were to our RB's.

Against Clemson in 2015, Coker went 335 yards, 16 for 25, 2 TDs and 0 INT's.

It's like night and day.

Perhaps that is because Texas had their QB knocked out in the first series and had to play a true freshmen and Clemson had a Heisman hopeful that was marching his team up and down the field. I used 8 years of data and the numbers did not deviate much. Using 2 games out of the 110 games covered in the numbers is just illogical. I can find plenty of games over the 8 years that look very similar.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Perhaps that is because Texas had their QB knocked out in the first series and had to play a true freshmen and Clemson had a Heisman hopeful that was marching his team up and down the field. I used 8 years of data and the numbers did not deviate much. Using 2 games out of the 110 games covered in the numbers is just illogical. I can find plenty of games over the 8 years that look very similar.

If you want to believe Alabama's offense hasn't really changed over the past years, then more power to you.

I've watched every single game and I think you're off your rocker.

theboardref

thewhite_00 ESPN board
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
FEI based SoS has you 33rd best SoS this year. Which is a bit tougher than usual for Oregon, but in general is just slightly above average.
Every game is tough when you rely squarely on offensive production to win games and have no qb.

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Saban is successful because he adapts.
This exactly. I heard an interview with Saban today on XM and he talked about having to change the profile on the type of safeties and linebackers they are recruiting now as opposed to just a few years ago. He adjusts on offense and defense.

I wouldn't be a bit surprised if the true freshman ends up playing the most QB for them this year. Talk about a change.

Last edited:

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
9-3 would not be a bad season. I would even say 8-4 purely because I see Helton as a bad hire, and even with the talent he may max out at 9-3 in his tenure. He may set the world on fire, and good for USC if he does. I just think the HC needs to be kept in mind in managing preseason expectations (see LSU and Les Miles).

We'll see about Helton. At least he's an actual grown up instead of a petulant child and a drunk like the last 2 coaches.

People keep pointing to Helton having never been a head coach as a problem. But of the 3 greatest coaches in USC history (McKay, Robinson and Carroll)...McKay and Robinson had never been head coaches anywhere and Carroll had never been a college head coach.

Not saying that Helton will be anywhere near as good as those 3. But I am saying that him not having HC experience may not be as big a deal as some are making it out to be.

I expect that at worst, him being an actual adult will remove a lot of the unnecessary drama and bullshit that we've seen over the past 5 years and that alone would be an improvement.

outofyourmind

Oklahoma Sooners
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When every single game is tough, then Kansas is #1 on this list.

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We'll see about Helton. At least he's an actual grown up instead of a petulant child and a drunk like the last 2 coaches.

People keep pointing to Helton having never been a head coach as a problem. But of the 3 greatest coaches in USC history (McKay, Robinson and Carroll)...McKay and Robinson had never been head coaches anywhere and Carroll had never been a college head coach.

Not saying that Helton will be anywhere near as good as those 3. But I am saying that him not having HC experience may not be as big a deal as some are making it out to be.

I expect that at worst, him being an actual adult will remove a lot of the unnecessary drama and bullshit that we've seen over the past 5 years and that alone would be an improvement.
Good points. And from what I hear, he's hired and kept some pretty good help.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good points. And from what I hear, he's hired and kept some pretty good help.

Yeah, Tee Martin as the OC is a little iffy. But the guy has been a very good position coach and has earned his shot, imo. Pretty much every Trojan fan that I know is really happy with him bringing back Pendergast as DC. When he was our DC the last time, we were #1 in the PAC in defensive efficiency.