• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Lions trade for NT Haloti Ngata

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lowe's had specials on hoe's tho... much cheaper than the night-time ones

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If it is that is definitely a sign of desperation on the part of Mayhew. Ravens knew we were screwed and exploited it.

I would rather have him than not but unless they announce a very reasonable new deal that comes with this trade then its not a good value for us and does nothing to improve the standing of Millenhew as a competent GM.
Definitely a bad deal if we only get this year out of him. Now if we get three years out of him at a reasonable rate (somewhere close to what he's making now) then I think it's a pretty fair trade.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:bullshit: Do you not like the post because he's right?? A 4th and a 5th is too much. It's a desperation trade where he got schooled by the Ravens because they knew we were in a horrible position.

Like I am I will bet he is very happy to have Ngata but that doesn't change the fact that the Ravens clearly got the better end of this trade.

Show me a reasonable contract extension and I'll reevaluate my position. Until then its a one year rental on a guy who the Ravens were otherwise going to part with for no compensation.
It's a fucking 4th and 5th rounder for a goddamn 5-time All Pro. I'll concede we slightly overpaid, but we certainly didn't get fleeced by any means. We gotta get a new deal in place though. If he walks after this year, then we absolutely got fucked in the ass.

But let's not make it seem like Mayhew just gave away the draft for Herschel Walker or some such bullshit...

TwoCents22

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just a thought here, Are the compensatory picks calculated from just FA's who's contracts have expired, or does it include guys who were cut, as well? Just wondering, because maybe Mayhew thought that if Ngata was cut and the Lions signed him it would lower the possible 3rd round compensatory pick we're getting from Suh(next year) so a 4th and 5th rounder wasn't as bad?

TBBishop

The One And Only!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We get a 5 time all pro who seems to still have gas for a 4th and 5th rounder. And he's going to count $8.5 against the cap so we still have money to play with. I like the deal. I would have liked Suh better but this deal along with Suh leaving may finally get us out of cap hell. This will also help as far as playing multiple fronts as Ngata has played 3-4 and 4-3 for Baltimore. I haven't read how long he has left on his contrac though. Is this the last year? Does anyone know?

TBBishop

The One And Only!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I cant imagine that we gave up much here. Ravens were likely to cut him in cap savings move and its certainly possible this may end up being only a one year stay given that he and the Ravens couldn't even come close on an extension. Either they are cheap or he was looking to cash in on the DT bonanza set up by the recent contracts of Suh, Watt, and McCoy.

My guess is no more than a 5th rd pick and my personal prediction is a 6th.

It's my understanding that he was going to count $16 mil against the Ravens cap this year, it wasn't about the $8.5 he'll cost us.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actual transcript from Allen Park:

Mayhew: Fuck our 4th and 5th round picks. You know I'll just fuck them up.

Lewand: true.

Mayhew: Where's my draft magazine?

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2Cents

only players who were still under contract as a teams FA gets comp pick consideration... guys like DT Langford who got cut, he longer is a possible comp pock for STL

Naughtymax

Internet MMA God
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Effing A. Just like I told them to do. Like the price, like the player. Now go get Hardy.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Guys, at least give it a chance to play out. We NEEDED a DT and got one and still have time to land more
:clap::clap::clap:

Remember last year's free agency, when we didn't get the right players and we were going to suck balls? And we fucked up by over-paying Golden Tate? And then after we drafted Ebron instead of (insert player here) and we were going to be picking in the top ten again this year because of it? Or maybe at mid-season when we were "due for another collapse?"

For whatever reason, some people simply can't give it a chance to play out. They have to make up their minds based completely on how they think things will play out now, six months before the season has started. And people like that are never, ever, wrong, so...

TBBishop

The One And Only!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Typical Lions move, giving away draft picks like candy. There are Baltimore news articles from yesterday and this morning speculating that Ngata was going to be released. Mayhew just became their Santa Claus.

*If it's just one draft pick (5th round, hopefully), then I retract my critique. Thought I read it was 2.

And if he got released, would he sign with Detroit? and if he did, how much would THAT cost? Sometimes you just have to go get what you need and it's not going to come for free. And like someone else said, how likley is it those 3rd day picks would give us what Ngata can give us? Even if he walks it will probably be better than the camp bodies the 3rd day picks would likely be.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm honestly hoping the Lions will still sign 1 of Fairley or Dan Williams, if they're staying in a 4-3. if not, they can find a 1-tech in the draft pretty easily, imo
I'd love to see Fairley brought back and Langford signed. They both fall under the greater DT umbrella, but they're two very different linemen. Fairley is a classic 3 tech pass rusher. Langford is a 6'6" behemoth who could serve as the 3rd DT when we're 4-3 and a 5 tech when we're 3-4. Versatile guy who wouldn't break the bank...

TBBishop

The One And Only!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In other news, Down here TN news is reporting that Jake Locker has just retired.......Hahaha, Ohhh Wisenhunt what were you thinking?

I get a chuckle everytime I think about how much work Wisenhunt has to do.

TBBishop

The One And Only!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actual transcript from Allen Park:

Mayhew: Fuck our 4th and 5th round picks. You know I'll just fuck them up.

Lewand: true.

Mayhew: Where's my draft magazine?

Got video?

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just a thought here, Are the compensatory picks calculated from just FA's who's contracts have expired, or does it include guys who were cut, as well? Just wondering, because maybe Mayhew thought that if Ngata was cut and the Lions signed him it would lower the possible 3rd round compensatory pick we're getting from Suh(next year) so a 4th and 5th rounder wasn't as bad?
I'm not an expert on the compensatory stuff, but what you're saying seems to make sense. Maybe there's a master plan at work here of signing bargain free agents so as not to offset losing Suh and Sims (a long-term starter, regardless of the fact his play dropped off last year), filling holes in the draft, and using the extra $$ to sign Levy and Reiff to extensions while also rolling some over to next year, which is allowed now.

If we re-signed Fairley, signed Bradley Fletcher at CB (very under-rated CB for Eagles these last two seasons. Rebounded very well from some poor seasons in St. Louis. Very good size/speed combo), signed Kendall Langford as a DT/DE, and signed Roy Helu and Antone Smith as back-up RBs I'd be satisfied with free agency. We'd end up with a comp pick still from Suh, I believe, but I think Fletcher would either cancel out or lower Sim's comp. Langford was a back-up last year, so he wouldn't count as a replacement in that formula. Helu and Smith are a couple of low-mileage complementary backs who wouldn't cost much between the two...

TBBishop

The One And Only!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just heard that Fairley is going to Cincy tomorrow. Guess Indy spent up the money they were supposedly throwing him. Once Cincy tells him he's banged up too much and they aren't spending big dollars on him, maybe he'll find his way back to Detroit.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hearing Pats like Helu.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just heard that Fairley is going to Cincy tomorrow. Guess Indy spent up the money they were supposedly throwing him. Once Cincy tells him he's banged up too much and they aren't spending big dollars on him, maybe he'll find his way back to Detroit.

Fuck. That's a heartbreaker. Good landing spot for him. Lewis will turn him into an animal.