• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Lions sign Golden Tate

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kreton,

He's not missing anything but I don't think he's a guy that will force teams out of that coverage they ro
l towards CJ. What happens here is teams will put their best CB on Tate and just continue to roll coverage to CJ. I may be way off but I feel like this wont be worth the money.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who's your favorite player Rob? Dennard?

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll be laughing if the Lions still somehow got Watkins.

jalopy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with Smitty. Tate climbed the depth chart by default. No way Tate gets this much money if Rice and Harvin stay healthy. Funny thing is, Tate plays really good but I can't see him being that difference maker the team needs.
Funny thing is, Tate proved on the field what he could do in the NFL. Forced or not, he succeeded without Harvin. With someone like CJ taking pressure away, look out. Watkins is a reach. He has a good chance of being a good WR in the NFL but there is risk. I've repeatedly said that I think Marqise is better and I think he might even get drafted higher (crazy?).

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Best of luck, Golden!

Revis worked out great for the Bucs, so I'm sure the same will happen for Detroit with Golden.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Only way the Lions are getting Sammy Watkins are if you draft him on Madden. He is a beast on NCAA.

jalopy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Best of luck, Golden!

Revis worked out great for the Bucs, so I'm sure the same will happen for Detroit with Golden.

Wow, that might be the most irrelevant analogy of the week. A player coming off a serious injury at the top of his game vs a steadily improving player just now entering his prime. All that for less than half the price and at a position that's value is exceeded only by the QB (SB Champs included).

I was a WA resident for a while and love the Seahawks and think they made the right choice letting Tate go but it will hurt them. I will be rooting for them against everyone except the Lions.

Wazmankg

Half Woke Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow, the Lions go out and get the absolute perfect person for a #2 WR. Great hands, hard worker, great routes, great blocker make him a borderline #1 WR for most teams. This was a position of need and the Lions filled it perfectly, although not cheaply.

Whining about the defense before the season starts is a little premature. RB is right, they will sign a legit starting DB, maybe two.

I think this is either an overreaction to seeing a team win a SB with defense or just Lions fans being Lions fans. I can't think of an offense in the NFL, including Denver, that would scare defenses more if everyone stays healthy.

And all of this is before a draft that is loaded with talent.

This ^^. I've always really liked the guy. It was a glaring need. We got a proven commodity. It's not as if we've done a great job drafting WRs aside from Calvin who was a no-brainer. Not gonna knock them before it's all put together.

Wazmankg

Half Woke Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh, they're always interesting. Now we get to see a new little guy get overthrown in the waning moments for a game sealing pick. Should be lots of fun.

It's not just overthrows. If Staff doesn't get better than he was last year, none of it matters. That doesn't necessarily make this a bad signing. What should they have done just say "well Staff is a bust. We'd better throw everything into the D" ? We needed a good #2 and we have one now and barring major injury there will be no excuses for the offense to not be unstoppable.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kreton

Former 5x UFC Champion
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kreton,

He's not missing anything but I don't think he's a guy that will force teams out of that coverage they ro
l towards CJ. What happens here is teams will put their best CB on Tate and just continue to roll coverage to CJ. I may be way off but I feel like this wont be worth the money.

I kind of know where you you are coming from. Prior to the Lions signing him and reading upon him I would have said he was an average receiver. However things like lowest drop rate in the NFL, and most broken tackles is impressive. The main problem with our offense last year was dropped balls. Think about how any close games we lost the last 2 years. Also think think about the Lions leading the league in dropped passes. I think a guy who doesn't drop balls helps this team more than a little. Those failed drives where we were dropping passes should not be a problem. Which means more of those drives get extended. Which keeps our offense on the field and our defense a little more rested. Last year a reliable 2 who doesn't drop passes and the same defense we had last year and we are likely a playoff team.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Golden Tate - Detroit Lions - 2014 Player Profile - Rotoworld.com

Golden Tate anticipates "moving around a lot more" in Detroit after playing X-Iso receiver in Seattle.
Though it obviously worked for the Super Bowl champs, it was frustrating at times to watch Tate's run-after-catch skills go to waste as a perimeter-only wideout in Seattle. He should play far more slot in Detroit, running higher-percentage routes. Some great stats on Tate per PFF's Pete Damilatis: Tate has dropped just five of his 149 catchable targets over the last three seasons, the lowest "drop rate" of any NFL wide receiver. Tate's 50 "missed tackles" forced the past three years are nine more than any wideout in football.

Gimme that cornbread nom nom nom

LPinSLC

Gang Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Golden Tate anticipates "moving around a lot more" in Detroit after playing X-Iso receiver in Seattle.
Though it obviously worked for the Super Bowl champs, it was frustrating at times to watch Tate's run-after-catch skills go to waste as a perimeter-only wideout in Seattle. He should play far more slot in Detroit, running higher-percentage routes. Some great stats on Tate per PFF's Pete Damilatis: Tate has dropped just five of his 149 catchable targets over the last three seasons, the lowest "drop rate" of any NFL wide receiver. Tate's 50 "missed tackles" forced the past three years are nine more than any wideout in football.

Wanna Big Gulp with that?

Kreton

Former 5x UFC Champion
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Glad someone other than me is posting those stats. Fewest drops and most broken tackles are exactly what you want in a WR.

jalopy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with Smitty. Tate climbed the depth chart by default. No way Tate gets this much money if Rice and Harvin stay healthy. Funny thing is, Tate plays really good but I can't see him being that difference maker the team needs.

And Wally Pipp would have made it to the Hall of Fame if he hadn't gotten hurt.