• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Lions sign Golden Tate

jalopy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think people are forgetting his best quality. Dude works his ass off. Lots of receivers in the league have talent but he gets the most out of it. People have to remember (with disdain) what he did to UofM. He is a competitor. He won't take plays off and on this team, that will be a huge influence. Hopefully Bush takes notice.
I know he was expensive but as far as being a perfect fit, he is it.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bring them in for a visit. Show up at their front door, like the Lions did for KVB once FA opens. Roll out the red carpet.

I'm not sure KVB is the best example, him being Schwartz' best bud and all. Plus, he was awful. I understand being disappointed none of these big names signed with us. There are 20+ other fan bases out there bummed about the same things. That's life as an NFL fan.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My bad, thought Baldwin had 70 instead of 50. Still not going to convince me this guy has ever intentionally been a #1.(Should I consider Doug Baldwin a #2 receiver?) Cuz he hasn't. Kris Durham may have technically been a #1 when CJ and Nate were out, doesn't mean he was a number 1 in reality.

Doesn't matter. He's not being brought in to be a no.1 What we do know is he helped a team that lost their top 2 wide outs win a Super Bowl playing as their top WR, by default or not.

That tells me we have some chance to still win if Calvin goes down again for a few games.

Kreton

Former 5x UFC Champion
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If that is the case -- we should expect much of the same results we've seen from this team. As I said before -- at least the games will be entertaining to watch.

You can get by with an average defense if you have a tom brady, aaron rodgers or drew brees at QB. I like Matthew Stafford, but he isn't going to be confused with those guys.

We don't know what this d will look like next year. We know what Schwartz and Cunningham were able to do. We have an entirely new staff. Our staff right now has a defensive background specializing in the secondary. Coaching matters in football. If the defense comes out and tanks then bitch. But you are bitching now about something we have no idea about. What I am sure of is that staff had evaluated this roster. They know what they have to work with. And all indications seem to be that they are at least content at cb and safety other than ward via fa.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If that is the case -- we should expect much of the same results we've seen from this team.

2nd day of free agency and the sky is already falling. Fucking Lions fans. I tell ya.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Bentley had 5 interceptions and 23 passes defensed last year -- I'd be just fine with some PI calls.

Seattle had THIRTY more penalties than any other team. Weird what a freakin' defense can do to make nobody notice. (Sherman had ten of 'em, 5 were PI's)

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bring them in for a visit. Show up at their front door, like the Lions did for KVB once FA opens. Roll out the red carpet.

The only thing I read is the Lions were interested in some players, because they would fill needs. They only set up 3 visits in FA. Tate, Costa and the FB.

He's got a point though. If the guy doesn't want to be there they're not going to agree to a visit.

themuzzer

Hoopla Cash
$ 400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lions secondary is like the Tigers Bull pen.........Mangement just doesn't know or want to make it better.....I'll believe it when I see it, the countless hours of semantics on a message board won't change it.

Quackerjacked

Falcon
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Stop being a twat. he was the number one passing option in that offense evidenced by him have the most receptions, yards, and tied for the most touchdowns. They may have envisioned him playing 3rd fiddle to Harvin and Rice, but that didn't happen. Harvin couldn't get on the field and he outperformed Rice. Should he be a number 1? No, but he was their number 1 last year. I'm pretty sure I indicated that he was not a number one when i said he was overmatched.

Durham was a number 1 for 1 game. He was a number 2 for most the year. He was really bad at it.

themuzzer

Hoopla Cash
$ 400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm still waiting for countless hours spent on the debate about " New Coaching Staff" takes a few years to see what these guys have........Muzzrradomaus.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Doesn't matter. He's not being brought in to be a no.1 What we do know is he helped a team that lost their top 2 wide outs win a Super Bowl playing as their top WR, by default or not.

That tells me we have some chance to still win if Calvin goes down again for a few games.

Knew that was coming. It's liking talking about Stafford with you people all over again. Pointless.

Kreton

Former 5x UFC Champion
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What do you mean "you people"?

Quackerjacked

Falcon
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think he makes us win games without Calvin. I think he is the best 2nd option we've had since Calvin was the second option.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Knew that was coming. It's liking talking about Stafford with you people all over again. Pointless.

Agree. Once you said Harvin buried Tate on the depth chart for that whole 1 play he played all of last year, I should have just hit the bowl and smiled.

Pointless.

Microwahevo

Green St. Elite
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,481.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is how FA works -- the top players are off the board early so you have to identify your targets and give them the full court press. Detroit brought in Tate for a visit. The only others are Costa (backup center for Dallas) and the fullback.

Seriously, what's so hard to understand about the fact that maybe, juuuuuust maybe not all players want to come play in Detroit? We can't make them sign.

http://www.freep.com/article/20140308/SPORTS01/303080086/detroit-lions-tj-ward-alterraun-verner

We did reach out them. I initially thought award came in for a visit. However, it's not like the front office didn't try. They declined. Move on.

Last edited by a moderator:

jalopy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2nd day of free agency and the sky is already falling. Fucking Lions fans. I tell ya.

No kidding. It is like taking a half baked dish out of the oven and tasting it and saying it is no good. How about we wait until after the draft when we have some idea what the depth chart will look like.
I have no problem with people evaluating this deal in a vacuum and criticizing it. The Lions paid a lot but getting another quality WR was a priority, if the the biggest priority. Not only do the Lions need someone to take some coverage off of CJ but they also have to face the reality that CJ is unlikely to play 16 games. Lost in all of this was the signing of Ogletree. That plus a late round WR pick-up (remember how deep the position is in this draft) should take care of a major shortcoming from last year.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with Smitty. Tate climbed the depth chart by default. No way Tate gets this much money if Rice and Harvin stay healthy. Funny thing is, Tate plays really good but I can't see him being that difference maker the team needs.

Kreton

Former 5x UFC Champion
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with Smitty. Tate climbed the depth chart by default. No way Tate gets this much money if Rice and Harvin stay healthy. Funny thing is, Tate plays really good but I can't see him being that difference maker the team needs.

Why not? What skill set is he missing?

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What do you mean, "you people"? Lmaooooooo