• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Lions sign Golden Tate

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Avatar bet. I guarantee they sign at least one defensive FA. Probably two. Put your avatar where your fingers are.

You are missing my point completely. I'm sure they will sign someone for the defense, but they will get what they pay for, as it will be a player who is still on the market for a reason.

How about this -- I will avatar bet you that the Lions don't bring in a FA to a 5 year 30 million dollar contract on the defense.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Huh? So you're telling me GMs don't do any scouting or research on CBs in the draft? Well that's news to me.

It's far from a crap shoot. Teams do tons of analysis on CBs just like all the other positions.

Where in the world did you get that out of what I said? OF COURSE they scout and research CBs. It is still a crap shoot. It is one of the toughest positions to get acclimated to in the NFL and it is one of the toughest positions on what players will get acclimated to the speed of the NFL. That is why you see such a mix of when players were drafted at that position for the really good corners.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh well, fuck it..... draft Evans and a pass catching tight end, try to outscore everybody. That's been working real well.

I like your thinking. No reason to upgrade defensively, when we can upgrade the offense that finished 6th, 3rd and 5th the last three years in total offense.

Our offensive minded approach has brought us one winning season since 2001 -- if it ain't broke, why fix it.

If nothing else -- the Lions games will be entertaining to watch.

jalopy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow, the Lions go out and get the absolute perfect person for a #2 WR. Great hands, hard worker, great routes, great blocker make him a borderline #1 WR for most teams. This was a position of need and the Lions filled it perfectly, although not cheaply.

Whining about the defense before the season starts is a little premature. RB is right, they will sign a legit starting DB, maybe two.

I think this is either an overreaction to seeing a team win a SB with defense or just Lions fans being Lions fans. I can't think of an offense in the NFL, including Denver, that would scare defenses more if everyone stays healthy.

And all of this is before a draft that is loaded with talent.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You are missing my point completely.

How about this -- I will avatar bet you that the Lions don't bring in a FA to a 5 year 30 million dollar contract on the defense.

You're missing my point completely. You're acting like this a 1 player Madden league and the Lions can just go out and sign whoever they want, picking and choosing from a mile long waiting line made up of all the best FA's available, all just dying to play for Detroit. Would be nice, but it's not realistic.

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow, the Lions go out and get the absolute perfect person for a #2 WR. Great hands, hard worker, great routes, great blocker make him a borderline #1 WR for most teams. This was a position of need and the Lions filled it perfectly, although not cheaply.

Whining about the defense before the season starts is a little premature. RB is right, they will sign a legit starting DB, maybe two.

I think this is either an overreaction to seeing a team win a SB with defense or just Lions fans being Lions fans. I can't think of an offense in the NFL, including Denver, that would scare defenses more if everyone stays healthy.

And all of this is before a draft that is loaded with talent.

:clap::clap::clap::clap::10:

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not true. I just don't think it should be all defense. Whether draft or FA a WR was a need. I would like to see Dix or Pryor. A CB takes time to develope IMO and would rather see a FA CB signed.

It doesn't have to be all defense -- but when you already have the highest paid WR in the NFL, do you need a #2 whose average salary from this contract puts him as the 20th highest paid WR in the NFL?

I would have rather the Lions attempted to hand out a 30 million dollar deal to upgrade the defense.

I already said -- I think Tate is a great fit for the Lions. I just don't understand the logic of paying Tate top 20 money at the position, when the draft is the deepest in a looooong time at the WR position, while the other positions of need for the Lions (Safety, CB, OLB) are all thin on top talent.

Microwahevo

Green St. Elite
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,481.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Where in the world did you get that out of what I said? OF COURSE they scout and research CBs. It is still a crap shoot. It is one of the toughest positions to get acclimated to in the NFL and it is one of the toughest positions on what players will get acclimated to the speed of the NFL. That is why you see such a mix of when players were drafted at that position for the really good corners.

Bc u said drafting a CB is a crap shoot, that's where I got it. Just bc it's a tough position to get acclimated to doesn't mean Gma don't have an idea of who will succeed and who won't. Sometimes they get it right, sometimes they don't. But it sure as shit isn't a crap shoot. That's asinine IMO.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
they will sign a legit starting DB, maybe two.

I would LOVE to see this happen, but Detroit is severely limited on cap space, unless their captain decides to sign an extension.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lions should've used that money for DRC if there was any chance he would come.

There's a joke about DRC having 12 kids in here somewhere.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bc u said drafting a CB is a crap shoot, that's where I got it. Just bc it's a tough position to get acclimated to doesn't mean Gma don't have an idea of who will succeed and who won't. Sometimes they get it right, sometimes they don't. But it sure as shit isn't a crap shoot. That's asinine IMO.

maybe crap shoot is a bit harsh, but it is one of the most difficult positions to predict how it will translate from college to the pros. that is why i would have much rather the lions spent money to get a legit CB than a WR, especially when the draft is so deep at that position.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
maybe crap shoot is a bit harsh, but it is one of the most difficult positions to predict how it will translate from college to the pros. that is why i would have much rather the lions spent money to get a legit CB than a WR, especially when the draft is so deep at that position.

Over and over and over you name positions, but not names. Why bother?

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like your thinking. No reason to upgrade defensively, when we can upgrade the offense that finished 6th, 3rd and 5th the last three years in total offense.

Our offensive minded approach has brought us one winning season since 2001 -- if it ain't broke, why fix it.

If nothing else -- the Lions games will be entertaining to watch.

Oh, they're always interesting. Now we get to see a new little guy get overthrown in the waning moments for a game sealing pick. Should be lots of fun.

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It doesn't have to be all defense -- but when you already have the highest paid WR in the NFL, do you need a #2 whose average salary from this contract puts him as the 20th highest paid WR in the NFL?

I would have rather the Lions attempted to hand out a 30 million dollar deal to upgrade the defense.

I already said -- I think Tate is a great fit for the Lions. I just don't understand the logic of paying Tate top 20 money at the position, when the draft is the deepest in a looooong time at the WR position, while the other positions of need for the Lions (Safety, CB, OLB) are all thin on top talent.

This is actually a fair point. This next year isn't terrible, but if you simplify Tate to a guess of 6 per, you have 46, 52, and 49 million spent on just QB, WR1, and WR2 in 2015, 16, and 17, respectively. That is a lot of money for an elite receiver, a legitimate starting QB, and a very good number 2 WR. Things can be reworked, sure, but that just sinks you further a lot of the time.

The thing is, though, Tate's deal isn't bad. It's the other two that are what makes those numbers what they are.

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually Verner signed for like 7 mil a year. I would have paid that in a heartbeat. I really don't like any other FA CBs for that kind of money. Grimes was the only other.

themuzzer

Hoopla Cash
$ 400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Unleash the Dogs !!!!!!!

I kinda like the Tate signing......Kinda forces the Lions to draft Defense.....But then I forget who's running things.....Give me WATKINS!!!!!!!

Quackerjacked

Falcon
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The thing I like about this signing is that it is the opposite of what usually happens in FA with wide receivers. We signed Seattle's number one wide receiver to be our number two. He may have been slightly overstretched as a number one, but he still was productive. He had more plays over 40 yards in the past two years than Burly had in the past ten. He may not have been the absolute best we could have gotten, but he is a definite upgrade.

Lions=TeHsUcKs

Basketball School
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not going to lie, I would have loved a Byrd, Ward or Verner on this team.. But with Suh's situation the Lions probably weren't in the discussion for those players..

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He was their third receiver. (Sidney Rice and Percy Harvin)But their fourth, Doug Baldwin had more receptions than Golden.