• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Lions sign Golden Tate

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Still is. And we still have ONE starting defensive back.

Last edited by a moderator:

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, it won't. Rookie Dbacks are consistantly awful. And we'll have another fucking munchkin trying to catch passes 11 feet off the ground for the sixth straight season.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As for ur edited part, adding Tate hardly keeps our WR situation bleak. Yes, he's a douchebox, but he's a solid receiver.

He's a short douchebox. That just took up a majority of the money available to replace the holes on defense. (We probably have 6 starters on that side of the ball currently. Seven if you want to count Houston. Eight if you think Don Carey should start. Which brings back to only having six starters on defense currently.)

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While I can agree with this post. You do also realize a #2 WR was a glaring need!!! CJ out meant no offense whatsoever! Does it solidfy the WR spot? NO, it does mean they should go defense first two picks and look for a slot WR in the 3rd. Still wishing for a trade down and get a extra 2nd or 3rd rd. pick. I was all Sammy 1st pick. Now I am Dix or Pryor, followed by Van Noy in 2nd. SHazier will not be there.

I agree it was a glaring need. They have a draft coming up in a couple of months that is the deepest for WRs in a long time though, while their positions of need on defense -- OLB, CB and Safety are not.

It seems logical to give a proven commodity in the back 7 a 30 million dollar contract and roll the dice on a #2 WR with the dozen or so they have projected as 1st or 2nd round talents. The OLB and Safety positions have a total of 8 combined projected to be 1st or 2nd round talents. CB is nothing more than a crap shoot when it comes to the draft.

IMO -- they are doing the exact same thing they did with the RB situation. They traded up to draft Best in the 1st round and he is out of the NFL. They traded up in the 2nd round to draft Mikel LeShoure and when they don't work out -- They throw money at a FA to fill the hole.

Now it is rinse and repeat for the WR position. They have spent two 2nd round picks and a 3rd round pick and two are out of the NFL and one was coming off a major knee surgery when we drafted him, had another major knee surgery after we drafted him and then blows out his achilles. Bad drafting by the team, let's fix the mistakes by throwing money at a FA to fill the hole.

I actually like Golden Tate and think he is a great fit for our offense. I hate that they continue to neglect the defensive side of the ball and would have much rather saw them sign a proven safety or a proven CB with the money they had available. I could see if the WR position in the draft was really weak, but it is totally opposite.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's a short douchebox. That just took up a majority of the money available to replace the holes on defense. (We probably have 6 starters on that side of the ball currently. Seven if you want to count Houston. Eight if you think Don Carey should start. Which brings back to only having six starters on defense currently.)

I can see that Broncosmitty and I are the only Lions fans who wanted to see the Lions fill holes on the defensive side of the ball, instead of adding another shiny new toy for the offense.

Microwahevo

Green St. Elite
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,481.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It seems logical to give a proven commodity in the back 7 a 30 million dollar contract and roll the dice on a #2 WR
We did this recently. Only one remains and his knees are fucked. I like that we added a young experienced solid WR.

CB is nothing more than a crap shoot when it comes to the draft.
Huh? So you're telling me GMs don't do any scouting or research on CBs in the draft? Well that's news to me.

It's far from a crap shoot. Teams do tons of analysis on CBs just like all the other positions.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
...the only Lions fans who wanted to see the Lions fill holes on the defensive side of the ball, instead of adding another shiny new toy for the offense.

Avatar bet. I guarantee they sign at least one defensive FA. Probably two. Put your avatar where your fingers are.

Microwahevo

Green St. Elite
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,481.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can see that Broncosmitty and I are the only Lions fans who wanted to see the Lions fill holes on the defensive side of the ball, instead of adding another shiny new toy for the offense.

No you're not. But the damn FA period just began. Did you think maybe the players you wanted simply wanted to play elsewhere? This isn't Madden where we can add anyone we want. In fact, I believe Ward came in to the D for a visit. It's obvious he either didn't get what he wanted or liked Denver better.

I get that our defense needs help. But this signing doesn't mean we won't target others.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who available does everybody like for the defensive side. For the sake of argument let's suspend what the current cap situation dictates.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who available does everybody like for the defensive side. For the sake of argument let's suspend what the current cap situation dictates.

They already signed with other teams while Mayhew was courting his newest munchkin for Staff to overthrow.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Of course they will. Shitty old guys who come on the cheap.

Who did you guys think wanted to come here that they didn't go get? Ward? Byrd? Ware? Who did you two want that also wanted to be Lions?

SonnyCID

Conocido Miembro
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tate is a grinder. Kid plays hard, blocks, attacks the ball, breaks tackles... He's not great, but he is a relentless football player and always makes the most of his opportunities.

And he's better in a dome, 4 of his 5 TDs last year were in a dome, 14,7 ypc as opposed to 12.5 outdoors.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lions should've used that money for DRC if there was any chance he would come.

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Not true. I just don't think it should be all defense. Whether draft or FA a WR was a need. I would like to see Dix or Pryor. A CB takes time to develope IMO and would rather see a FA CB signed.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@ broncosmitty .... So you were pretty focused on one or two players and since they signed with other teams your gonna pout. This is what I've missed about the message board community.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who did you guys think wanted to come here that they didn't go get? Ward? Byrd? Ware? Who did you two want that also wanted to be Lions?

No interest in Ware. Verner, Ward, Byrd, Talib, DRC, Peanut.... someone who could help slow down opposing passing games. Oh well, fuck it..... draft Evans and a pass catching tight end, try to outscore everybody. That's been working real well.