• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Lions sign Golden Tate

Kreton

Former 5x UFC Champion
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For all the whining about the defense Noone is hitting on a very important factor regarding the secondary. The Lions brought in defensive minded and specifically defensive back minded coaches. We have a player who has shown flashes of potential in Houston, we have young talent that should develop all over. It may very well be that this coaching staff simply likes the potential of the dbs we currently have. At least at cb. It's also unlikely that ward or Byrd were coming in at safety. So maybe it's just me, but I was hoping to sign an fa difference maker at wr since no clue who will be there at 10. Safety is probably easier to fill at 10.

Also to quackers point we pulled the sb Champs #1 wr to be our #2. Take put up decent numbers with Wilson and being the focus of of the #1 dbs where now we has Stafford and facing #2s.

Kreton

Former 5x UFC Champion
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He was their third receiver. (Sidney Rice and Percy Harvin)But their fourth, Doug Baldwin had more receptions than Golden.

Maybe on paper but neither really played.

Kreton

Former 5x UFC Champion
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And Tate had one of, if not the best drop rate in the NFL. That's what we need. After all all the drops last year reliable hands is a fucking godsend.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When they played they certainly weren't behind Golden Tate on the depth chart.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kreton

Former 5x UFC Champion
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A former second-round pick by Seattle in 2010, Tate has improved every season since he entered the league, recording 64 receptions for 898 yards and five touchdowns last season to lead all Seahawks receivers

Kreton

Former 5x UFC Champion
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Per @PFF Golden Tate led all starting WRs last season in forced missed tackles & yards after catch. Undervalued Free Agent

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He was their third receiver. (Sidney Rice and Percy Harvin)But their fourth, Doug Baldwin had more receptions than Golden.

When they played they certainly weren't behind Golden Tate on the depth chart.

Sidney Rice played 8 games and caught 15 balls for less than 300 yards. BTW he's a FA right now getting zero attention.

Percy Harvin played 1 game and caught 1 ball.

Doug Baldwin had 50 catches for 778 yards and 5 TD's

Tate had 64 grabs for 898 yards and 5 TD's

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually Verner signed for like 7 mil a year. I would have paid that in a heartbeat. I really don't like any other FA CBs for that kind of money. Grimes was the only other.

Verner sure gets a lot of love for being the penalty machine he is. The way people get on Bentley around here for his PI penalties, they'd run Verner out of town with a pitchfork within a year or two...

Kreton

Former 5x UFC Champion
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Golden Tate has dropped 5 of 149 catchable passes in the last 3 seasons, lowest rate of any WR. Best hands in the NFL

Kreton

Former 5x UFC Champion
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Led the NFL in dropped pass pass rate, v broken tackles and yac. Per profootballfocus. Com

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A former second-round pick by Seattle in 2010, Tate has improved every season since he entered the league, recording 64 receptions for 898 yards and five touchdowns last season to lead all Seahawks receivers

But when Percy Harvin played that one snap, Tate was totally buried behind him on the depth chart.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Over and over and over you name positions, but not names. Why bother?

Because the top names at the CB position are already off the board, sans Revis who we couldn't afford anyway.

What's left now is two Cromartie's -- one who had a terrible season in 2013 and one who was talking about retiring if Denver won the SB. After those two -- you are now looking at CBs past their prime and their best years are behind them.

Safety is the same thing. The top 8 safety FA's are already off the board and signed with new teams. If Detroit signs a safety now -- they will be filling the hole with the left overs.

That is how FA works -- the top players are off the board early so you have to identify your targets and give them the full court press. Detroit brought in Tate for a visit. The only others are Costa (backup center for Dallas) and the fullback.

Kreton

Former 5x UFC Champion
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is how FA works -- the top players are off the board early so you have to identify your targets and give them the full court press. Detroit brought in Tate for a visit. The only others are Costa (backup center for Dallas) and the fullback.

That might be all they are aiming to do in fa.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Because the top names at the CB position are already off the board, sans Revis who we couldn't afford anyway.

What's left now is two Cromartie's -- one who had a terrible season in 2013 and one who was talking about retiring if Denver won the SB. After those two -- you are now looking at CBs past their prime and their best years are behind them.

Safety is the same thing. The top 8 safety FA's are already off the board and signed with new teams. If Detroit signs a safety now -- they will be filling the hole with the left overs.

What I meant was which defensive players specifically did you expect the Lions to sign going into this thing that has you so discouraged?

There were rumors they tried to get TJ Ward but he wanted to play in Denver. There were rumors they were interested in Verner but he wanted to play for the Bucs. Did you just want the Lions to throw mad money at these guys until they said yes?

FA is a 2 way street where the players need to want to play here too.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Verner sure gets a lot of love for being the penalty machine he is. The way people get on Bentley around here for his PI penalties, they'd run Verner out of town with a pitchfork within a year or two...

If Bentley had 5 interceptions and 23 passes defensed last year -- I'd be just fine with some PI calls.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What I meant was which defensive players specifically did you expect the Lions to sign going into this thing that has you so discouraged?

There were rumors they tried to get TJ Ward but he wanted to play in Denver. There were rumors they were interested in Verner but he wanted to play for the Bucs. Did you just want the Lions to throw mad money at these guys until they said yes?

FA is a 2 way street where the players need to want to play here too.

Bring them in for a visit. Show up at their front door, like the Lions did for KVB once FA opens. Roll out the red carpet.

The only thing I read is the Lions were interested in some players, because they would fill needs. They only set up 3 visits in FA. Tate, Costa and the FB.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sidney Rice played 8 games and caught 15 balls for less than 300 yards. BTW he's a FA right now getting zero attention.

Percy Harvin played 1 game and caught 1 ball.

Doug Baldwin had 50 catches for 778 yards and 5 TD's

Tate had 64 grabs for 898 yards and 5 TD's

My bad, thought Baldwin had 70 instead of 50. Still not going to convince me this guy has ever intentionally been a #1.(Should I consider Doug Baldwin a #2 receiver?) Cuz he hasn't. Kris Durham may have technically been a #1 when CJ and Nate were out, doesn't mean he was a number 1 in reality.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That might be all they are aiming to do in fa.

If that is the case -- we should expect much of the same results we've seen from this team. As I said before -- at least the games will be entertaining to watch.

You can get by with an average defense if you have a tom brady, aaron rodgers or drew brees at QB. I like Matthew Stafford, but he isn't going to be confused with those guys.