• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Lions sign Golden Tate

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Caldwell deal is about the same for me. Im still pissed this franchise sharted in face last season is all.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Twats that? I **** hear you.

Sounds like I'm higher on slay than you are. I wanted a Houston replacement. The CB's that were better than him are gone now. With Delmas gone, I see Safety as the bigger need. Still hoping Young comes back to fill the DE need too.

Dont have a problem with Slay. Didnt expect anymore out of him as a rookie than what he gave. Pretty rare to see guys come in and handle a starting role at corner right away. He has potential, not doubting that. I just dont want to see him paired with Houston.(haven't lost faith in any one player quicker than I did Houston this year. Had always thought he was adequate until mid season) Either at nickle with a legit #1 would have made me happy. Expected it to be addressed honestly. (Like you said, and I said yesterday, theyre all gone.)Llet myself think Verner was a possibility. That was foolish. Really not ready to stomach Don Carey as a starter. Ive wanted three capable starting safeties for awhile, we have one. That sucks. And I've given up hope on Willie coming back. Ware and Peppers getting cut might have helped that situation, but I don't think he'll be back. Be a good day if he re-signs for sure.

Last edited by a moderator:

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
imo pretty much any fast OLB/DE hybrid with more than 2 brain cells can easily replace Willie Young as long as Fairely and Suh are out there.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who out there still is an upgrade over Delmas, who hasn't practiced in 3 years? Probably a lot of guys.

Looks like the guy we are going to sign is Ihedigbo. He has been a full time starter twice in 8 years and his best year was in 2013, where he was solid for baltimore.

While I know you don't like Delmas -- they rated him as the 6th best safety available in FA. Ihedigbo is rated 12th out of 15. The top 8 safeties in FA have already signed elsewhere.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While I know you don't like Delmas -- .

Just like the Lions, I liked Delmas just fine when he was healthy. But from what I was told from a pretty good source imo (an ex-Lion I see around the gyms), because Delmas couldn't practice, he was never on the same page as his teammates on Sundays, and that led to inconsistency. As a locker room guy, all the players love him.

That's what I was told.

gvsulaker82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My thoughts on tate. Great signing. He complements CJ well, they needed a number two and found an extremely adequate one. I dont believe hes reached his ceiling yet, he is very talented and hes joining a pass happy lions offense and leaving a team that wasnt known for passing. Hes headed into his prime. He will put up impressive numbers for a second wide receiver, hes not here to fill CJS shoes as far as I know CJ is quite capable of doing that. It also allows the lions to really focus on addressing their biggest needs in the offseason via the draft and thats the defense, and hopefully put all of the silly talk about drafting a wide out at ten.

gvsulaker82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can see that Broncosmitty and I are the only Lions fans who wanted to see the Lions fill holes on the defensive side of the ball, instead of adding another shiny new toy for the offense.

Would you rather have spent the number ten pick on WR? Because thats what would have happened. Thank god they found a solid 2 in FA and now can draft defense all day long.

gvsulaker82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow, the Lions go out and get the absolute perfect person for a #2 WR. Great hands, hard worker, great routes, great blocker make him a borderline #1 WR for most teams. This was a position of need and the Lions filled it perfectly, although not cheaply.

Whining about the defense before the season starts is a little premature. RB is right, they will sign a legit starting DB, maybe two.

I think this is either an overreaction to seeing a team win a SB with defense or just Lions fans being Lions fans. I can't think of an offense in the NFL, including Denver, that would scare defenses more if everyone stays healthy.

And all of this is before a draft that is loaded with talent.

I agree and ive been one of the hugest advocates to building our defense during the offseason, which should be done thru the draft. If fans here are expecting the lions to build a winner through free agency they will be waiting a long time

seattlefan75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
tell you what its going to be fun watching him play the packers twice a year lol

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looks like the guy we are going to sign is Ihedigbo. He has been a full time starter twice in 8 years and his best year was in 2013, where he was solid for baltimore.

While I know you don't like Delmas -- they rated him as the 6th best safety available in FA. Ihedigbo is rated 12th out of 15. The top 8 safeties in FA have already signed elsewhere.
Weird, wonder who comes up with those rankings?

He was rated as the 16th best safety in the league last year, so your numbers mean that 9 of the top 16 safeties from last season were free agents. That's a helluva market...

jalopy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is there anyone out there that doesn't think that signing Tate is a better option than signing Decker? Decker cost $5MM more but I would take Tate over him in a heartbeat.

gvsulaker82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is there anyone out there that doesn't think that signing Tate is a better option than signing Decker? Decker cost $5MM more but I would take Tate over him in a heartbeat.

I wanted tate over decker even if the price was the same. Decker will not do nearly as well without peyton throwing the ball. Tate will do even better heading into a passing offense and leaving a running offense.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
3 steps to being a Lions insider on this board:

1) Get hopes up about signing every big name FA available

2) Become increasingly disappaointed by the minute when said players do not become Lions.

3) Curse the GM, and shit all over the board.

4) Rinse and repeat.

Just wait until draft day. Some of these guys haven't been able to nail down a Mayhew pick in years and it always results in mass confusion.

Oh my bad.

Well I'm a realist so I guess that takes care of that. Am I right?
With that being said hell yes I would have rather seen the Lions big FA score be on defense. I don't mind the Tate signing but I'm also not creaming my shorts about it either. I think you could get the same production out of E.Sanders as you do Tate at a little more than half the cost. I seem to be a little higher on Slay than most especially since I heard he's been working with Rod Woodson this off season to help perfect his craft. Idk we'll see. As for Houston well I think he beat himself a lot last season and hope he's gotten over it. Very disappointed about not resigning W.Young. I'm intrigued by what's going on at TE. Frustrated about Pettigrew's inconsistent hands but I really dig the Fauria kid. Depth at receiver after CJ and Tate.....uh well given up on Broyles but I do like Durham as option #3. Ogletree doesn't really get me excited... But "the draft is sooooo deep at Wr" that one should be around in later rounds.

I'm thinking its Dix with the 1st round pick. As for the rest of FA ... All the big names are gone and the Leos are outta money.I've seen a few posts where there's talk of blowing up the team. In a year maybe two that's pretty damn likely starting with Mayhew. Simply because the "well at least he's not Millen" had worn off.

gvsulaker82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh my bad.

Well I'm a realist so I guess that takes care of that.

Uh oh. You cant use that word, thats reserved for proven excellence. I may be a bit biased but Ill take a stab at it

Biggest optimist
Kreton or tpaul

Biggest pessimist
Clearly smitty ;)

Biggest realist
Gvsulaker82, but theres some stiff competition.

You earn the title of realist here, by keepin it real.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One last thing never trolled the cbs boards but I had a helluva time on the old ESPN boards. I've been busy the last flippant years dealing with a divorce and subsequent fallout in family court. No justice for dads I guess. Btw is there a guy by the name of Hoopster around used to like slapping that face-baiting b*tch around.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Haha ....ok then looking forward to earning my stripes.

No offense was intended at all RtM. Glad to have another Lions fan around. (The guy I thought you were was a favorite poster of mine.). If Hoopster is here, his screen name has changed.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's hoping for Evans at 10!:suds:

gvsulaker82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No offense was intended at all RtM. Glad to have another Lions fan around. (The guy I thought you were was a favorite poster of mine.). If Hoopster is here, his screen name has changed.

Turd.