• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Lions select OT at #10

Microwahevo

Green St. Elite
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,481.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's not about semantics at all. He simply never said Ihedbigo already "is" a significant upgrade over Delmas. You're wanting him to mean it that way, but he never stated it that way. If Ihedbigo's production drops off considerably from last year(where he played the best in his career IMO) then it wouldn't be an upgrade at all.

I have no dog in this fight between u two, but you're wrong in what u thought he said. Plain and simple.

Microwahevo

Green St. Elite
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,481.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yet now you say you like last year's team better. If the Lions have regressed in your mind from 2013 to 2014 -- how can you like any of the moves they have made?
Regardless of the previous posts before this one, I'm curious too. Unless it has to do with losing Young and potentially not having Fairley around too much longer. Or that Ihedbigo isn't exactly an upgrade yet.

However, I am curious in a less than condescending way that mikeD is. ;)

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Ihedbigo's production drops off considerably from last year(where he played the best in his career IMO) then it wouldn't be an upgrade at all.

As much as everyone here disagrees on many things. I think the one thing we could absolutely agree on 100% is..........Ihedbigo's best season was in 2013. Seeing as it was the only time in his career he was a full time starter for 16 games, even TP and I could agree, it was his best season.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Regardless of the previous posts before this one, I'm curious too. Unless it has to do with losing Young and potentially not having Fairley around too much longer. Or that Ihedbigo isn't exactly an upgrade yet.

However, I am curious in a less than condescending way that mikeD is.

We basically lost Willie Young and Louis Delmas and replaced them with Ihedigo and Darry Tapp. IMO, the defense is going to be pretty much what we saw last year, unless they find an impact player or two in the draft (fingers crossed).

Offensively, we returned the entire offense and added Golden Tate, who is exactly the kind of WR the Lions needed, even though I still don't like how much they spent for a #2 WR. So the offense should be more efficient, as the OL has had a full year to play together and we added another weapon.

Everyone wanted Schwartz gone and he was fired. We hired an offensive minded coach, as well as an OC from the Saints and a DC from Ravens (who specialty is DB's, where the Lions need the most help).

While I don't like that both the OC and DC are both 1st time coordinators in the NFL -- I don't see how last year's team could possibly be better than this year's team?!?

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's not about semantics at all. He simply never said Ihedbigo already "is" a significant upgrade over Delmas. You're wanting him to mean it that way, but he never stated it that way. If Ihedbigo's production drops off considerably from last year(where he played the best in his career IMO) then it wouldn't be an upgrade at all.

I have no dog in this fight between u two, but you're wrong in what u thought he said. Plain and simple

I guess we will agree to disagree, in regards to semantics. His statement is saying Ihedbigo was significantly better than Delmas in 2013. We released Delmas and signed Ihedbigo to replace him. 'If' both players play at the same level in 2014, he would be implying Ihedbigo would be a significant upgrade at the safety position for Detroit in his opinion.

Microwahevo

Green St. Elite
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,481.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While I don't like that both the OC and DC are both 1st time coordinators in the NFL -- I don't see how last year's team could possibly be better than this year's team?!?
I don't mind that our coordinators haven't had experience in that actual position/title. Peeps gotta get promoted somehow. They've obviously shown enough to warrant such a promotion. I'd rather us have someone fresh with new ideas than some re-tread off the scrap heap.

But, I also agree the team looks better in most areas. Even cutting Akers' ass without a replacement is better than having him on our team. And I get your confusion here, I was just trying to ask the same thing in a calmer, nicer way. Being snide back and forth doesn't really do much in an actual football discussion. :suds:

Microwahevo

Green St. Elite
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,481.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess we will agree to disagree, in regards to semantics. His statement is saying Ihedbigo was significantly better than Delmas in 2013. We released Delmas and signed Ihedbigo to replace him. 'If' both players play at the same level in 2014, he would be implying Ihedbigo would be a significant upgrade at the safety position for Detroit in his opinion.

Yes, but he hasn't played a snap. And one good year is a small sample size to determine whether said player is an upgrade at this time or not. That's why he's taking the "wait and see" approach instead of already calling him a guaranteed upgrade. Atleast that's what I got out of it.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With all the arguments going on with the Lions -- I am thinking I found something we can all agree on. Signing Miguel Cabrera to a 292 million dollar contract till he is the age of 40 is absolutely absurd.

292,000,000 to play baseball for the next 10 years. He will make like 50,000 dollars an at bat. WOW. I wish I would have taken baseball more seriously. I'd play for 5,000 an at bat. :laugh3:

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He will make like 50,000 dollars an at bat.

In Cabrera's 1st game -- he could almost pay off the mortgage on my house. By the 2nd game, he could finish paying off my mortgage and have a college fund set up to pay my son's tuition in full.

Now he only has 160 games left in year 1 of the 10 year contract. That is mind boggling.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With all the pitchers jetting, I'm not surprised. Now both the Lions and Tigers will have to win by scoring copious amounts of points/runs to make up for their putrid defenses/pitching.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

However, I am curious in a less than condescending way that mikeD is. ;)

I like the long-term impact new coaches will have and think we'll be better from the 2nd half of this year onward, I'm just worried about the adjustment period with all of the players learning a new system and new terminology on both sides of the ball.

I liked last year's team better at this same juncture last year because they were all well-versed in the schemes and language and were used to playing with each other within those systems.

I think our overall talent level is pretty even- we lost a good one in Willie Young, but gained a good one in Golden Tate. I wasn't a huge Delmas fan, so I'm not crushed about him leaving, not much of a net gain/loss, really.

I think the changes were very healthy for the team and will make us better going forward, I just think we'll see an initial dip in overall play vs. the 1st half of the season last year, based solely on a new group of coaches bring in a lot of change...

Kreton

Former 5x UFC Champion
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With all the pitchers jetting, I'm not surprised. Now both the Lions and Tigers will have to win by scoring copious amounts of points/runs to make up for their putrid defenses/pitching.

With all the pitchers jetting? You mean the Tigers trading Fister?

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With all the pitchers jetting? You mean the Tigers trading Fister?

Ya, Fister now Max. I don't have the same faith in Verlander as I did a couple of years ago. Once a strength, our rotation looks like it will be a hole sooner than later.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I liked last year's team better at this same juncture last year because they were all well-versed in the schemes and language and were used to playing with each other within those systems.

You do realize the Lions had a massive turnover before the start of last year. Quin came in as a 1st year starter at safety. Ashley Palmer was a 1st year starter at OLB, but at least he was with the team in previous years. Slay was a rookie playing at CB. Bentley had only played 4 games the year before, but as with Palmer he was with the team. Ansah was a rookie starting at DE. Devin Taylor was playing DE as a rookie. Reiff was a 1st year starter at LT, though he was on the team the year before, just not at LT, sans one game. Warford was a rookie starting at G, and Waddle was a rookie starting at RT. Forgot about James Jones too.

All of these guys have now played an extra year on Detroit and played together with the guys on the team, as Detroit returns basically everyone but Delmas and Young.

I'd hope they have developed after an extra year of starting on the team. That is why I found it extremely odd that you said you like last year's team, as we haven't had the kind of turnover we did last year since they started cleaning house 5 years ago.

Kreton

Former 5x UFC Champion
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ya, Fister now Max. I don't have the same faith in Verlander as I did a couple of years ago. Once a strength, our rotation looks like it will be a hole sooner than later.

I am pretty sure I would have heard if Scherzer left.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You do realize the Lions had a massive turnover before the start of last year. Quin came in as a 1st year starter at safety. Ashley Palmer was a 1st year starter at OLB, but at least he was with the team in previous years. Slay was a rookie playing at CB. Bentley had only played 4 games the year before, but as with Palmer he was with the team. Ansah was a rookie starting at DE. Devin Taylor was playing DE as a rookie. Reiff was a 1st year starter at LT, though he was on the team the year before, just not at LT, sans one game. Warford was a rookie starting at G, and Waddle was a rookie starting at RT. Forgot about James Jones too.

All of these guys have now played an extra year on Detroit and played together with the guys on the team, as Detroit returns basically everyone but Delmas and Young.

I'd hope they have developed after an extra year of starting on the team. That is why I found it extremely odd that you said you like last year's team, as we haven't had the kind of turnover we did last year since they started cleaning house 5 years ago.
We had some new players, sure, but the majority of the team was in the same system for their 3rd or 4th year in a row. Now all of our guys have to learn a new system. I think it's for the best, as Schwartz proved he wasn't the guy, but generally the first half of the first season under a new coaching staff is a bit rocky.

Take last year's Eagles for example: they struggled early, but then cam on hot late once they figured their shit out...

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess it's another issue of arguing schematics: I'm not saying I liked last year's players or talent better, just liked where the team was at heading into the season.

LPinSLC

Gang Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess it's another issue of arguing schematics: I'm not saying I liked last year's players or talent better, just liked where the team was at heading into the season.

At least last season Mayhew wasn't as close to completing his plan of lazying the shit out of Fairley.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Offensive Tackle

Which one, and where would be play? Lewan has too many issues to be a top 10 pick, and I don't think Matthews or Robinson drops that far.