• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Lions no shot to land Gurley

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You know why it looks difficult? Because you see all those winning teams on the schedule and know deep down the Lions can't beat them. You hope they can, but you know they won't.

Fan bases of winning teams don't look at the schedule and worry.

All the fans of winning teams calling in on XM NFL would say different and of all things. I heard a Pats complaining of playing the Phins in the heat in December.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why dont you like Gordon, Smitty?
I don't like any running backs from Wisconsin. Or, rather, Im not impressed easily by their individual success.

IMO their system revolves around giant OLineman plowing holes for running backs. It works well against defenses that aren't speed orientated.(football is slow up here, we all know it)Has for two decades. But I don't put any credence into the numbers that are accumulated by the backs. It's just system yards. (Now, someone could say, "Smitty, Coleman played the same teams." And they'd be right. No arguement from me theres. But......IU does not have giant OLineman plowing holes. Nor do they have a quarterback to take pressure off and force teams to drop safeties back. They have a pathetic football program, that's what they've got.)

Gordon seems like a hard worker. A bright kid. And relatively athletic, but I don't think Id support taking him with our second rounder necissarily. Our OLine will not dominate the LOS like Wiskys did, at its respective level of play. Montee Ball is his own man, but we've already seen him be incapable of handling blocking responsibilities in the NFL, I expect something similar from Gordon. And we can't afford to use another 1-2nd rounder on a RB that doesn't lie up to his draft slot.

I also just broke up Gandy's lakeresque post streak. Believe it was 7 threads and counting. Yay me!

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All the fans of winning teams calling in on XM NFL would say different and of all things. I heard a Pats complaining of playing the Phins in the heat in December.

Really?

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't like any running backs from Wisconsin. Or, rather, Im not impressed easily by their individual success.

IMO their system revolves around giant OLineman plowing holes for running backs. It works well against defenses that aren't speed orientated.(football is slow up here, we all know it)Has for two decades. But I don't put any credence into the numbers that are accumulated by the backs. It's just system yards. (Now, someone could say, "Smitty, Coleman played the same teams." And they'd be right. No arguement from me theres. But......IU does not have giant OLineman plowing holes. Nor do they have a quarterback to take pressure off and force teams to drop safeties back. They have a pathetic football program, that's what they've got.)

Gordon seems like a hard worker. A bright kid. And relatively athletic, but I don't think Id support taking him with our second rounder necissarily. Our OLine will not dominate the LOS like Wiskys did, at its respective level of play. Montee Ball is his own man, but we've already seen him be incapable of handling blocking responsibilities in the NFL, I expect something similar from Gordon. And we can't afford to use another 1-2nd rounder on a RB that doesn't lie up to his draft slot.

I also just broke up Gandy's lakeresque post streak. Believe it was 7 threads and counting. Yay me!

Understandable but I contribute most player's success in the NFL to themselves and the programs they get into. These young guys must work hard once they make that transistion and then the team must help with that. Ball was just an average RB with limited skills. I see Gordon much differently.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Me either.

Im just not on the Gordon train, but I think you and I are about 95% the same with our outlook on the running game this offseason.

It just doesn't make sense to give %100 of the credit to the offensive line for the success of a RB. Using that logic, there would be absolutely no reason to even consider drafting a RB at no point in the draft.

But it could possibly make a difference in the numbers a RB puts up. Maybe.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, the guy actually said I realize we have a easy schedule but... Then complained about the late Phins game.

Well that's stupid considering Miami played in snowy Foxboro week 17 last year.

Rollingthndr

FantasyFootball Pessimist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How did he prove to be average? His 40? Even though most dont agree, you still have to be a quality RB to do what Gordon did. Gordon is good beyond the line of scrimmage which separate him. Hes a game changer.

He is a fine player. But is there there a whopping difference between him or Abdullah or Ajayi?

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But is there there a whopping difference between him or Abdullah or Ajayi?

Ajayi doesn't have nearly the on-field in game explosive burst that Gordon has, IMO. I'm not even talking about any players track time at the combine.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He is a fine player. But is there there a whopping difference between him or Abdullah or Ajayi?

To me there is. I consider what the experts say and Gordon is widely considered an elite RB. From what I can see, he is. Abdullah has small hands and is good but not great. Ajayi looks like another Bell to me.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I heard there are serious medical red flags on Ajayi. I liked him too.

Rollingthndr

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep! I just don't see him as a feature back though.

I don't know. I see him as a Chris Ivory type but one who can catch passes. 3 down type player.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ajayi reminds me of Roy Helu kinda.

LPinSLC

Gang Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My fear is that they pass on them and next off season the Lions would look like fools for doing so. I can see that happening. I was thinking that Minny probably will consider taking Gurley and he will destroy us for years. Then Gordon will go to the Cowboys or something and kill it too.
i think it is obvious that the Lions aren't concerned with looking foolish when it comes to the draft. You can see evidence of that by last year's first round pick.

Rollingthndr

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ajayi reminds me of Roy Helu kinda.

Helu is good but never gotten a chance to be lead guy. Wouldn't surprise me if L. Murray got injured this year... T-Rich sucked and Helu pulls a Dan Herron and helps fantasy owners down the stretch this year.

LPinSLC

Gang Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Most agree that we need improvement on the O-line. It seems the hang up there is how much help is needed. Regardless, it needs to be improved. I am not opposed to a RB. I am opposed to an injured RB in the 1st. It doesn't have to be O-line in the 1st but I sure as hell don't want to draft an injured RB and put him behind a line we all agree needs at least some improvement.

I am so tired of taking risks on guys that early in the draft that are injury concerns. This team has holes to plug in the top 22 not to mention some depth at key positions. If I was confident in our top 22 then I'd be fine with taking a high risk high reward type of player there. I'm not confident so I'll absolutely take a pass and won't feel bad if he succeeds due to the fact we weren't in the position to gamble.