• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Lions no shot to land Gurley

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why dont you like Gordon, Smitty?

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Read between the lines here folks, all theyre saying is that the Lions would be dumb to pass on them if available. This team's running game has been non-existent for years. I bet the media and all the other teams would straight up laugh at the Lions for passing on one of those two. Thats just my opinion though.

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think some are still under the opinion that the RB makes the running game. In the NFL today the O-line makes the running game IMO. You could put Adrian Peterson on the Falcons or Jags last year and he would do squat. Put any RB you want on the Cowboys last year and they put up close to 1500 yards.

I am not worried about passing on the next AP at all. That kind of fear is why people make so many mistakes in life. So afraid of looking bad instead of just making decisions based on their philosophy and sticking to the plan.

We do need a RB though. Not sure where we take him. If those guys are there in the 2nd then I can understand. BPA and all.

TwoCents22

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nah, nah bro. I think youre exaggerating a bit. The team must find a running game and be able to run AND pass. I dint think they intend on being ultra conservative, I just think the goal is to simply be able to run it.

I'd be fine with wanting to run the ball better. We all want that. But going off our personell, our offense last year, and our coaches words, that's not what he wants at all. What I hear is a guy who wants to run the ball MORE, and at any cost possible. It wouldn't be that hard for him to have come out and said "we need to run the ball. We need to be better in that area. It needs to compliment our passing game". I would've agreed. But he more all ng the lines said " we will run the ball more. Pass less. Fact." And everything I've witnessed from last year says he's 100% stubborn to that.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My fear is that they pass on them and next off season the Lions would look like fools for doing so. I can see that happening. I was thinking that Minny probably will consider taking Gurley and he will destroy us for years. Then Gordon will go to the Cowboys or something and kill it too.
I think Dallas would be where Gordon needs to go to live up to a first round pick.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd be fine with wanting to run the ball better. We all want that. But going off our personell, our offense last year, and our coaches words, that's not what he wants at all. What I hear is a guy who wants to run the ball MORE, and at any cost possible. It wouldn't be that hard for him to have come out and said "we need to run the ball. We need to be better in that area. It needs to compliment our passing game". I would've agreed. But he more all ng the lines said " we will run the ball more. Pass less. Fact." And everything I've witnessed from last year says he's 100% stubborn to that.

I think we are applying our own meanings to what is being said by these coaches. Caldwell said a few distinct things that I think tells the reason for wanting to run more. He said if teams still have to pass a lot in the fourth quarter, that means youre losing the game, which is true and that is Lions football.

I think they just want to improve instead of becoming a run first squad.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think some are still under the opinion that the RB makes the running game. In the NFL today the O-line makes the running game IMO. You could put Adrian Peterson on the Falcons or Jags last year and he would do squat. Put any RB you want on the Cowboys last year and they put up close to 1500 yards.

I am not worried about passing on the next AP at all. That kind of fear is why people make so many mistakes in life. So afraid of looking bad instead of just making decisions based on their philosophy and sticking to the plan.

We do need a RB though. Not sure where we take him. If those guys are there in the 2nd then I can understand. BPA and all.

Cant agree.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think they just want to improve instead of becoming a run first squad.

THIS..... Does Jim Caldwell want Detroit Lions to be a running team?
Offensive coordinator Joe Lombardi talked earlier this month about taking more deep shots in the passing game, but Jim Caldwell has hinted at his desire to improve the running game ever since he took over as Lions coach

Caldwell coached Peyton Manning, one of the most prolific quarterbacks in NFL history, for three seasons with the Indianapolis Colts, but he also won a Super Bowl with the Baltimore Ravens in 2012 when he was elevated to offensive coordinator for the final three weeks of the regular season. In those three games, the Ravens averaged 36.7 rushes per game against 36.3 passes, and twice ran the ball for more than 200 yards.

The Lions don't have a running back capable of shouldering that big of a load currently on their roster.

BB_72; seems to me Caldwell is looking to improve (key word) running while also becoming more balanced (via attempts in pass/rush Off)

Rollingthndr

FantasyFootball Pessimist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My fear is that they pass on them and next off season the Lions would look like fools for doing so. I can see that happening. I was thinking that Minny probably will consider taking Gurley and he will destroy us for years. Then Gordon will go to the Cowboys or something and kill it too.

If Minny takes Gurley and he is awesome. Then that's just what happens. I liked Melvin Gordon before the combine when he proved to be just an average athlete behind an elite Wisconsin running game. He is still considerably better then Montee Ball but looks like a 4.0 ypc kind of back. Not a 5.0 ypc type of back.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mayhew called Todd Gurley an "outstanding prospect," said the team has to evaluate his injury situation; wouldn't share that eval

just draft the ALL-ACL team

1st rd. RB Gurley
2nd rd. OT Ogbuehi
3rd rd. CB Ifo Ekpre-Olomu

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
THIS..... Does Jim Caldwell want Detroit Lions to be a running team?
Offensive coordinator Joe Lombardi talked earlier this month about taking more deep shots in the passing game, but Jim Caldwell has hinted at his desire to improve the running game ever since he took over as Lions coach

Caldwell coached Peyton Manning, one of the most prolific quarterbacks in NFL history, for three seasons with the Indianapolis Colts, but he also won a Super Bowl with the Baltimore Ravens in 2012 when he was elevated to offensive coordinator for the final three weeks of the regular season. In those three games, the Ravens averaged 36.7 rushes per game against 36.3 passes, and twice ran the ball for more than 200 yards.

The Lions don't have a running back capable of shouldering that big of a load currently on their roster.

BB_72; seems to me Caldwell is looking to improve (key word) running while also becoming more balanced (via attempts in pass/rush Off)

Im curious to know what is expected from the fans with the run vs pass ratio. What should it be?

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Minny takes Gurley and he is awesome. Then that's just what happens. I liked Melvin Gordon before the combine when he proved to be just an average athlete behind an elite Wisconsin running game. He is still considerably better then Montee Ball but looks like a 4.0 ypc kind of back. Not a 5.0 ypc type of back.

How did he prove to be average? His 40? Even though most dont agree, you still have to be a quality RB to do what Gordon did. Gordon is good beyond the line of scrimmage which separate him. Hes a game changer.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Im curious to know what is expected from the fans with the run vs pass ratio. What should it be?

IMO, it'll change game by game due to matchups but as an overall ratio 55-60% pass (because of Stafford) and 45-40% run. could change depending on draft, if they get a true bell-cow.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gordon is good beyond the line of scrimmage which separate him. Hes a game changer.

I'll say this much for Gordon, he has that quick and explosive burst to change direction and get outside. If he does reach the perimeter, he has the long speed to do some major damage. Gurley and Coleman as well. IMO.

The holes for RB's in college are much more expansive than what they'll see at NFL level on a consistent basis. And that is regarding any RB whether it's Gurley, Gordon, Langford (smitty honestly is crushing on him and doesn't want anyone to know), Coleman, Ajai, David Johnson... put a name in there and it doesn't matter.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You know me! I would love to watch Staff launch it 70 times a game but thats not good. It doesnt mean a whole lot but look at our schedule. Its going to be very difficult without a legit running threat imo.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would love to watch Staff launch it 70 times a game but thats not good

he'd be seeking TJ surgery after a year or two.

kind of like watching Wash ST/TxTech/Hou college games.... up and down the field

but I do comprehend where you're coming from

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You know me! I would love to watch Staff launch it 70 times a game but thats not good. It doesnt mean a whole lot but look at our schedule. Its going to be very difficult without a legit running threat imo.

You know why it looks difficult? Because you see all those winning teams on the schedule and know deep down the Lions can't beat them. You hope they can, but you know they won't.

Fan bases of winning teams don't look at the schedule and worry.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Worrying and saying it looks difficult is two separate things.

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Never really worried about the ratio. What ever it takes to win on Sunday. Whether 30 runs and 45 passes or reversed. I care to see a fat W when the clock reads 00:00