• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Lions hire…Jim Caldwell?

gvsulaker82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep...not ringing, but after losing the best WR, TE, and LT...they struggled.

The post I responded to said incompetent...period, which imo was foolish...but I have no clue what he will be as the HC.

Well I can for sure say the lions organization was extremely incompetent in their process to hire a new coach. They supposedly were the "hot" destination to land in for potential candidates and ended up with arguably the worst selection a day after the best choice for them spurned them. Anyhow Im a lions fan so I should be used to it. Whis knew better, coaches come to detroit to die. See steve mariucci. Other coaches come to detroit with awful resumes and astonish the fans as to how awful they are. See morninhweg and schwartz. Ah well.

gvsulaker82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why is everyone saying he is incompetent? I thought he did well in Indy- of course, its hard to say how much HE really did given the QB he had there.

Yeah peyton tends to make any coach look dominant.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is not a bad hiring. It's just a "meh" hiring. Caldwell does fit the need for a coach that brings discipline & maturity to the team. He just isn't a sexy hire.

:agree: spot on. No slight to Lion's fans, but I'm not sure who they were expecting...We had Whiz as the OC...okay, did a solid job in AZ, but he's nothing special either.

hockey878

Hoopla Cash
$ 300.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ask any colts fan, caldwell was awful.

horrible hire for the lions

gvsulaker82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:agree: spot on. No slight to Lion's fans, but I'm not sure who they were expecting...We had Whiz as the OC...okay, did a solid job in AZ, but he's nothing special either.

Im not saying whis is a savior but he has a great track record for developing talented quarterbacks. The lions whiffed on Whis and handled the hiring process awfully. Theres really no getting around that. Its not so much jim caldwell (although it is somewhat) as it is the ineptitude of the lions front office.

Davis_Mike

You can never have too many knives.
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Im not saying whis is a savior but he has a great track record for developing talented quarterbacks. The lions whiffed on his and handled the hiring process awfully. Theres really no getting around that. Its not so much jim caldwell (although it is somewhat) as it is the ineptitude of the lions front office.

What QB(s) did Whiz develop? Can you name more than 1?

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well I can for sure say the lions organization was extremely incompetent in their process to hire a new coach. They supposedly were the "hot" destination to land in for potential candidates and ended up with arguably the worst selection a day after the best choice for them spurned them. Anyhow Im a lions fan so I should be used to it. Whis knew better, coaches come to detroit to die. See steve mariucci. Other coaches come to detroit with awful resumes and astonish the fans as to how awful they are. See morninhweg and schwartz. Ah well.

Coming from someone that knows coach Whiz history...I can't honestly say I see him being much of an upgrade over Caldwell. I think DET was a better gig myself over TN, but maybe you're onto something with the the DET to die comment.

gvsulaker82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Coming from someone that knows coach Whiz history...I can't honestly say I see him being much of an upgrade over Caldwell. I think DET was a better gig myself over TN, but maybe you're onto something with the the DET to die comment.

Well I personally see him as a massive upgrade. Coming as a guy that knows stafford has all of the talent in the world, having a guy like whisenhunt would have been huge.

Davis_Mike

You can never have too many knives.
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Roethlisberger and rivers.

He didn't develop Rivers. You need to look up the definition of develop. I guess you can give him some credit for Ben, but he didn't start to take off till after Whiz left Pit.

Next thing you will say is that he developed Warner too...

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just can't trust a guy who at crunch time has the look of somebody standing in line at the DMV.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He didn't develop Rivers. You need to look up the definition of develop. I guess you can give him some credit for Ben, but he didn't start to take off till after Whiz left Pit.

He didn't develop Rivers but I would say helped him get back on track and play to his strengths. The Chargers the last few years have asked Rivers to do more than what he was capable of especially with the OL that he was playing behind. Norv was asking him to do 7-step drops and look for the deep ball. With the OL he had though that just wasn't possible to execute on a regular basis. Wisenhunt and McCoy designed an offense with the idea of getting the ball out of Rivers' hands as quickly as possible then playing some ball control with the run game. They got him back to dumping it off to his safety valve like he used to with Sproles and Tomlinson.

gvsulaker82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Rivers had all of the talent in the world but couldnt put it together. He did start warner over leinart so theres that.

PackMaster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Darrell Bevell would have been the perfect hire..

gvsulaker82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Granted stafford at this point is much worse than rivers, but clearly kw was a huge factor in rivers development. Clearly you realize the development of quarterbacks is an ongoing process mike? Or no? His resume speaks for itself, if you cant read it so be it, I cant help you.

gvsulaker82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

So let me get this straight. He doesnt get credit for rivers although rivers and their offense improved drastically under him while he was there and also doesnt get credit for ben because he "took off" after whisenhunt left. Although for a young qb ben was very impressive while ken was there. So which is it, does a coach/coordinator get credit after he leaves or while hes there? You managed to completely contadict yourself Mike, all the while managing to know what develop means, haha.