• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Lions get the 16th pick

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NFL Media analyst Bucky Brooks compares Michigan State T Jack Conklin to Andrew Whitworth.

"Conklin is a throwback at the position, exhibiting strong hands and a powerful punch when engaging defenders at the line. He complements this with textbook footwork and fundamentals on the edge," he wrote. "As a run blocker, Conklin exhibits mauler/brawler traits at the line of scrimmage. He aggressively moves defenders off the ball and displays some nastiness as a finisher." The Conklin-type is targeted by some teams and avoided by others who don't see a prototypical LT here. With that in mind, Brooks suggests the Giants, Eagles, Lions and Colts are potential landing spots. He explains by pointing out the sore spots in Conklin's game: "For all of Conklin's strengths as an aggressive edge blocker, he is susceptible to losing battles on the perimeter to athletic defenders. He lacks the lateral quickness to handle speed rushers with a wide array of inside-outside counter moves off the corner."

Source: NFL.com

I wouldn't be upset if we took him in Rd 1 but couldn't this guy be the next Riley Reiff (aka Jeff Backus) as well?

put 2 & 2 together and you answered your own question right at the bottom in bold, imo

His weight is down at the combine 15 pounds and he is moving much better than he was during the season. I think he can play LT if he stays at 310 or he could be a mauler at RT at 325. He seems to be able to do both IMO. I would be OK with him being the pick, but I want DT or LB in round 1. It will depend on what happens during FA. I think letting Ngata go and recouping a R3 pick would be best. Then we can take one of the DTs in the first round. Not married to any 1 plan yet though. Too early for that.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
His weight is down at the combine 15 pounds and he is moving much better than he was during the season. I think he can play LT if he stays at 310 or he could be a mauler at RT at 325. He seems to be able to do both IMO. I would be OK with him being the pick, but I want DT or LB in round 1. It will depend on what happens during FA. I think letting Ngata go and recouping a R3 pick would be best. Then we can take one of the DTs in the first round. Not married to any 1 plan yet though. Too early for that.

coincidence with the weight loss in the bold (A'Shaun Robinson was at 320+ during season and is down to 303 for the combine like many others who needed to lose weight in order to perform better) . Conklin was hopping on his toes as most OL were during drills versus sliding . The only four that had the kick-slide down were W. Beavers, L. Tunsil, Ronnie Stanley and J. Spriggs (from what my eyes witnessed, might be the problem, idk). Bucky had stated that only Tunsil performed with proper technique and not anyone else.

I won't dispute what you saw with your eyes but Conklin reminded exactly of Taylor Lewan during his drillwork and Lewan needs to be moved to RT. Tenn has already stated it needs to happen. Lewan was even more athletic than Conklin and almost as good in the run blocking but better in pass-pro. He's a nasty mauler who could literally move CFB DE's to the ground with his power that didn't have the speed or power to beat him. Conklin nor Decker have the footspeed to counter the extremely quick explosive NFL DE's, imo

I have trouble expecting any of these CFB LT remaining at LT in the NFL as clearly seen by the last 6 years of draft. The only ones to survive is Okung (injured 24 games but very good technique and mechanically sound), Tyron Smith who never played a single snap at LT in CFB only 2 years at RT, Glenn who was good as a CFB LT and who was flip flopped between RT and LT his first 1 1/2 years until settling in at LT. Khalil started off great his first 2 years and now is a human turnstyle.

The last thing I want to see is the Lions to draft one of the leftover OT's in the first round (Conklin, Decker, Spriggs-he's my favorite and I want him but don't trust him) on a whim in hopes they pan out. If they want someone to take over RT other than Ola then they should go after Clev RT Schwartz in FA. imo

Gandy is really good and probably the boards best at breaking down OL. He has brought to my attention many little nuances that I'd missed.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I want DT or LB in round 1. It will depend on what happens during FA. I think letting Ngata go and recouping a R3 pick would be best. Then we can take one of the DTs in the first round. Not married to any 1 plan yet though. Too early for that.

in bold is only going to happen via trading down in first round (which is exactly what I want, not jus once but twice and recouping two 3rd round picks) They'll be plenty of talented DT's or even DE's left in the mid to upper twenty slotted picks of the first round, imo.

Stomp

Lions Homer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2016 NFL Draft

Figured someone should post a link to the new SportsHoopla draft sub forum since it hasn't been well advertised

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not a Conklin fan. I felt he had very sloppy technique in college. IMO he cheats a lot. He puts some pounds back on after this and he will be a decent RT. There are reasons why no OL have been drafed under D'antonio. The what, who or why I don't know. Powerful run game, yet it produces no pro's, why? That center Allen will be the better IMO.

To me, much like fumbles and drop rates, missed tackles or a QB having a inaccurate arm in college translates to the pros. Some techniques can be coached up. AA apparently is not technique. LOL( for Smitty) Neither is Matt's issues or Ebrons drops. OL is being left behind these days, damn sure the LTs are. The margin of speed and strength across from them is growing rapidly.

Tunsil will be gone. I've seen some mocks with Stanley dropping to us. I'd love that. Spriggs and Decker( I do like Decker) may be that RT guy and then LT a year later type player. Problem for the Lions, as we all know, he has to be immediate impact starter to replace Reiff. We will keep seeing more and more sure LT prospects the media keep hyping busting out and moving to the right side. The college game is killing pro LT's.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nice to see we met with Kevin Hogan.

(AA might not be done growin' Gandy.)

Old Lion

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not a Conklin fan. I felt he had very sloppy technique in college. IMO he cheats a lot. He puts some pounds back on after this and he will be a decent RT. There are reasons why no OL have been drafed under D'antonio. The what, who or why I don't know. Powerful run game, yet it produces no pro's, why? That center Allen will be the better IMO.

To me, much like fumbles and drop rates, missed tackles or a QB having a inaccurate arm in college translates to the pros. Some techniques can be coached up. AA apparently is not technique. LOL( for Smitty) Neither is Matt's issues or Ebrons drops. OL is being left behind these days, damn sure the LTs are. The margin of speed and strength across from them is growing rapidly.

Tunsil will be gone. I've seen some mocks with Stanley dropping to us. I'd love that. Spriggs and Decker( I do like Decker) may be that RT guy and then LT a year later type player. Problem for the Lions, as we all know, he has to be immediate impact starter to replace Reiff. We will keep seeing more and more sure LT prospects the media keep hyping busting out and moving to the right side. The college game is killing pro LT's.

Agreed it is very difficult to trust a LT these days. Even Tunsil does not wow me. Conklin is defintely better suited at RT. I admit I have not looked too much at Spiggs or Decker. Like I said I would prefer to stay away in round 1. I think we need such help at DT and LB we will have to address on of those unless we do both in FA (which I cant see that happening).

Old Lion

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Swarm is going to be pissed his boy Billings is not on the list yet. I am surprised we are looking at Nkemdiche though. He is a trainwreck waiting to happen. Glad Vernon Butler is there. he is a good choice in the 2nd rd of the draft (If a LB falls to us in the first), but he may start to fly up draft boards soon.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have ZERO interest in Conklin, or really anyone from MSU this year. Junk team, not pro ready. Looks to me like the Lions are don't their homework on guys with big question marks. I don't think Billings is one of those guys.

Assuming the Lions are one of the teams who have taken Smith off their boards after meeting w him.

Did u guys know the Lions are the ONLY team who hadn't talked to RT Beavers from Western?? I find that interesting. He might be a guy we take.

Stomp

Lions Homer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"Two NFL scouts speaking with the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel emphatically disagreed about Alabama DL Jarran Reed's worth as a prospect and as a pass-rusher.

"I didn't realize how well he ran until he chased down (Carson) Wentz in the Senior Bowl," the first scout said. "I'd take him (mid-first round) and not look back. You don't see his pass rush but I think he can. I think he can play nose, too." Indeed, the 6-foot-4, 313-pound prospect posted 21.5 TFL in college despite playing in a rotation that wasn't the friendliest for defensive line stats. "He doesn't thrill me," the other scout said. "He's a nose tackle. Maybe somebody will get fired up on him. Not a pass-rush guy." - Rotoworld

He's still my favorite, but i like a lot of guys this year in the first Robinson, Ragland, Spriggs, and even Doctson.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

He would be my #1 WR this year even over Treadwell. He doesn't have explosive qualities/burst nor will he gain much seperation on deep balls with his route running but he's better than Treadwell at tracking the ball, seeing it through to his hands from over his shoulder and any 50/50 he'll pluck it out of the air whether he's in short, intermediate or deep routes. jmo.

Rollingthndr

FantasyFootball Pessimist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He would be my #1 WR this year even over Treadwell. He doesn't have explosive qualities/burst nor will he gain much seperation on deep balls with his route running but he's better than Treadwell at tracking the ball, seeing it through to his hands from over his shoulder and any 50/50 he'll pluck it out of the air whether he's in short, intermediate or deep routes. jmo.

If we are taking any skill position play on offense in the 1st, it better be Zeke Elliot. Dude's a fuggin monster. I still like CC but not over any defensive player and he sure and hell isn't better than Zeke.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If we are taking any skill position play on offense in the 1st, it better be Zeke Elliot. Dude's a fuggin monster. I still like CC but not over any defensive player and he sure and hell isn't better than Zeke.

First of all. I'm almost always a defense guy in early rounds even if it's a MLB (told they can had all the time after 4th round)

I never stated I would take him in first round this year. I stand firmly that no offense player for me in first 3 rounds (unless we pick up extra picks in 3rd round somehow) which includes comp in that round. I was merely stating my thoughts that Doctson is my #1 WR this year and not Treadwell or you could add any other WR "insert any name". None of this years WR crop are worthy of first round grades, imo.

I'm on the train of DTx2, DE, OLB (could change with FA signings) in first 3 rounds unless there's a SS that has very good coverage abilities to go along with highly strong "in the box" abilities somewhere in that mid 2nd round and beyond and I would still hesitate.

BTW, BSU S D. Thompson looked like shit at the combine but Lions have met/interviewed with Duke SS Jeremey Cash twice. off to the penalty box on the thought he could move up into late 1st round unless some team goes solely off game film and he redeems himself at his pro day (Highly unlikely)

Rollingthndr

FantasyFootball Pessimist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First of all. I'm almost always a defense guy in early rounds even if it's a MLB (told they can had all the time after 4th round)

I never stated I would take him in first round this year. I stand firmly that no offense player for me in first 3 rounds (unless we pick up extra picks in 3rd round somehow) which includes comp in that round. I was merely stating my thoughts that Doctson is my #1 WR this year and not Treadwell or you could add any other WR "insert any name". None of this years WR crop are worthy of first round grades, imo.

I'm on the train of DTx2, DE, OLB (could change with FA signings) in first 3 rounds unless there's a SS that has very good coverage abilities to go along with highly strong "in the box" abilities somewhere in that mid 2nd round and beyond and I would still hesitate.

BTW, BSU S D. Thompson looked like shit at the combine but Lions have met/interviewed with Duke SS Jeremey Cash twice. off to the penalty box on the thought he could move up into late 1st round unless some team goes solely off game film and he redeems himself at his pro day (Highly unlikely)

I've seen a few mock drafts of us taking Jeremy Cash in the 2nd round. As for DT, the more I look at it, the more none of them really stand out. A bunch of good players but none that are really exciting or seem to have big upside. A sleeper pick I think the Lions might look at is Shaq Lawson out of Clemson. He would be a nice player to bookend across from Ziggy. Not sure how much faith Quinn has in Devin Taylor but at least he flashed a little bit last year.

Old Lion

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How about:

R1 DT Billings or LB Ragland
R2 OT Beavers or Spriggs
R4 OC Boehm

Not sure we are getting a R3 comp back yet but I think we will.

If that happens:

R1 LB Ragland
R2 DT Butler
R3 OT Beavers
R4 OC Boehm

Although personally I think the R2-R4 picks will go earlier than what everyone is projecting so this is probably pie in the sky