• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Lions get the 16th pick

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ragland ran a 4.72 at the combine. Lots of kids stick with those numbers posted at combine. It was a better time than some expected. Pro day 40 numbers are usually better because they use laser to time and not electronic times. It's not unusual. So, LS1, you don't want a possible 10 yr MLB because he refused to run a 40 at his pro day ?

I don't like him as a prospect regardless. LOL

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I also think that a good GM would be able to to use a first round pick like that but still come back and and put together a really good draft and get the guys the team needs. If you're the Lions, and your first pick at 16 is Elliot, you've just had an amazing start to a draft.

You go into round two with the opportunity to come out with a D-lineman, CB, S or even a RT. A starter on defense preferably. Round three presents the same thing. You've got:

1st- RB (best in the draft)
2nd- DT (high quality starter or rotational guy who takes over for Ngata)
3rd- LB, CB (guys with tremendous upside/starter/depth

And you still have 7 picks left. Plus FA isn't over either.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm thinking he's probably going to land in Philly anyway. They don't have a RB worth anything...

Rollingthndr

FantasyFootball Pessimist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
there's never a guarantee with anything. I like the skill set and talent level of Zeke. I don't have faith in Oline as of yet regardless of improvements from last 7 games of 2015. Those improvements cannot be automatically assumed for upcoming year. JBC dumbed down that scheme, imo, and it may get more complicated this year now that he has a full off-season to make tweaks. This isn't mid-season and Lombardi left and jBC has little time to make improvements. It could be a matter where it isn't even a concern but that is the unknown for now.

I'm expecting a better performance from Tomlinson and Warford this year personally. Swanson should be more beefed up as well with another year of professional help from the Lions strength and conditioning coaches.

Rollingthndr

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I also think that a good GM would be able to to use a first round pick like that but still come back and and put together a really good draft and get the guys the team needs. If you're the Lions, and your first pick at 16 is Elliot, you've just had an amazing start to a draft.

You go into round two with the opportunity to come out with a D-lineman, CB, S or even a RT. A starter on defense preferably. Round three presents the same thing. You've got:

As of right now.... We still don't have a 3rd rounder.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And Ragland refused to run the 40 at his proday. I really dont want him now.

I don't like him as a prospect regardless. LOL

yep. cuz he didn't run at proday after already running at combine. plus, he's just a MLB and would do nothing more than stop the leak at that position and be an intrical part of a defense shutting down opponents offense.
He would be day 1 starter at MLB and possibly 10 yr starter if he stays healthy and a huge plus all way around as qb of defense. I get why you really don't like him though and respect your love of Offensive toys.

you never would like a 1st rd Def draft pick unless he had a great combine running a 4.37 forty and did well in other track and field events at Indy AAU meet. It's a 3 yr learning curve for all CB unless you get lucky and get someone like Slay. CB's like Slay don't come every year

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm expecting a better performance from Tomlinson and Warford this year personally. Swanson should be more beefed up as well with another year of professional help from the Lions strength and conditioning coaches.

I'm hoping for better play but sure as heck not expecting anything better from any of them outside of Reiff.

Warford has been injured two years in row with ankle and calf injuries and not saying it's going to happen again but it's had huge impact for his lack of returning to rookie year level. wrong scheme played a part too.

Swanson could see improvement this year now that's it's his 3rd yr in a pro strength and conditioning regiment. Oh wait, that former strength and conditioning coach was fired for being shit, according to Swarm, so, maybe that's the excuse all the OL had for their poor technique, wrong guys for wrong scheme and inability to open holes for RB's. Swanson is always going to suck, imo, no matter how hard he works at his craft which he can't right now because he's coming off another shoulder surgery.

I'm sure to be reminded about the 30+ yd per gm avg increase for those last 7 games

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There was holes to run through many times. Don't forget last year at the end under JBC the run game avg almost 20 more yards a game. However IMO the featured back sucked!!!

I agree, they did improve in the 2nd half. I'm in a more of a wait and see approach if that continues or if the schedule helped that out.

I'm ecstatic Bell is gone. I wish we didn't draft Abdullah, as I think Elliot is going to be good, but we just spent a 2nd round pick on a RB.

I'd rather see them find an impact player on the defensive side of the ball, as RB's are much easier to find. But I'd understand if the pick were Eliot

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

wish I had your optimism. I don't though.

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As of right now.... We still don't have a 3rd rounder.

When the owners meet March 20th-23rd they will announce the comp picks and the Lions get the 95th pick. KC was stripped of a 3rd this year and next for tampering with Maclin early last year.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Elliot is going to be good, but we just spent a 2nd round pick on a RB.

I'd rather see them find an impact player on the defensive side of the ball, as RB's are much easier to find. But I'd understand if the pick were Eliot

There is no RB in this draft like Zeke and there'll never be again.

You win games by having the best of skill-set offense guys not by building a defense better.

You can always get def starters anywhere after first round anyways. there's still 12 picks left in the draft after the first round of which 4 are in 5th round, 2 in 6th round and 3 in 7th round.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You can always get def starters anywhere after first round anyways. there's still 12 picks left in the draft after the first round of which 4 are in 5th round, 2 in 6th round and 3 in 7th round.

correction 11 picks after 1st rd

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lions current draft picks including 3rd round comp pick for Suh and possible 5th (maybe drops to 6th rd)

1st rd. #16
2nd rd. #46
3rd rd. comp pick (Gandy states #95)
4th rd. #107 (possibly there if three 3rd round comp picks happen)
5th rd. from TB for George Johnson trade (currently listed as #136 but have to figure in 4th rd comp picks)
5th rd. #139 (will change with comp picks of 4th rd)
5th rd. #157 from Den trade last yr (will change with 4th rd comp picks)
5th rd. 3rd in line for comp pick from last list for Fairley
6th rd. our own pick
6th rd for trade of Seisay to Sea
7th rd. our own pick
7th rd. for trafe of Michael Williams to N.E.

this graph doesn't show trades to TB and NE.
2016 NFL Draft Trade Value Chart

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just wait until the three trade downs happen you want Blue. Somebody will have sore legs going to the podium that much.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just wait until the three trade downs happen you want Blue. Somebody will have sore legs going to the podium that much.

won't happen.
then they should be in better shape, imo.
two trade downs would suffice though.
Besides, shiny new toys for offense take precedence.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yep. cuz he didn't run at proday after already running at combine. plus, he's just a MLB and would do nothing more than stop the leak at that position and be an intrical part of a defense shutting down opponents offense.
He would be day 1 starter at MLB and possibly 10 yr starter if he stays healthy and a huge plus all way around as qb of defense. I get why you really don't like him though and respect your love of Offensive toys.

you never would like a 1st rd Def draft pick unless he had a great combine running a 4.37 forty and did well in other track and field events at Indy AAU meet. It's a 3 yr learning curve for all CB unless you get lucky and get someone like Slay. CB's like Slay don't come every year

Im definitely an offensive guy, can't deny it, but thats not the reason why I dont like Ragland. He might be good, but I just dont like him. I do like a bunch of the other LBs though. CB is my favorite position in football.

I didnt post it here but very early after the season was over, I said the Lions need to load up on defense. I still believe that but a few things have changed. Without CJ, I think we still need a couple of real difference makers on offense. I just happen to like a few offensive guys.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Obviously Blue, you like Ragland and I'd prefer Elliot if they were both there. Not sure why thats such a big deal?

Rollingthndr

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Obviously Blue, you like Ragland and I'd prefer Elliot if they were both there. Not sure why thats such a big deal?

I highly doubt Elliot will be around at #16. He looks like one of the few blue chippers in this draft along with Bosa, Buckner and Ramsey. I would be happy if he was there for the Lions but definitely a long shot.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

cuz this defense has more holes and high question marks than the offense does at this time. that's why.

Oline still has to open holes for any RB. You appear if that's easily done after seeing the last two years of what they haven't been able to do. A RB needs gaps, space, holes to run through. If those things aren't there, it's a wasted pick regarless of his talent. I saw Zeke run through CFB gaping holes and yet still could create on his own because of all of the space that was there. Spread offenses spread teams out and make it easier for RB's to run loose. How did Gordon fair in SD last year ? He was supposed to be one that could make a difference if Detroit drafted him. It wasn't good at all and they had a maligned OL that couldn't run block just like the Lions.

I'm not even on the Ragland train at this moment. I do like his talents and know how they are projected to NFL and he's a huge upgrade over Bynes as MLB. That solidifies the middle and the qb of the defense. it's important. For me, it's getting someone in the trenches that can make an impact to shut down run game or put pressure on the QB's.

Zeke is a better talent than either AA or Zach Zenner. no doubt about it. I see an offense that already has M. Jones, Tate, Riddick (rb and wr and more from latter position), EE, TJ Jones and Fuller. Then add in RB's AA, ZZ and little used Burton.

Don't take it personal LS1. I'm not on your case. You just think I am. We're on opposite ends of the spectrum.