• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Lions get the 16th pick

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just have a hard time considering a LB that early but Im not completely against it as long as he's miles ahead of any LB available.

JMO, Ragland is head and shoulders above all other MLB prospects in this draft. He shows some rigidity when dropping in coverage but the one thing that will definitely put him in a class of his own is his instincts to read and diagnose. He just knows where to be most times. He's going to take some bad angles or even trail when in coverage and for those of you who state a MLB shouldn't be in coverage then you'd better go look at Keuchly and Bobby Wagner or other 4-3 base MLB that drop frequently on some plays due opponents personnel use

You want to see cross field speed to track down a fast RB, who's split out to wr, then go look at fthe irst play of 2015 Awbun and Bama game. That play right there will give you an idea of his capabilities. Also, Ragland only has 1 year of experience as a drop i coverage LB'er as Saban pulled him on 3rd down passing situations back in 2014. He has the talent to be a top 10 LB not to mention a MLB, imo.

I'm not a LB'er guy myself in the early rounds unless I see the vast difference between that one specific position and where the next guy at MLB is slotted. once again, jmo.

Rollingthndr

FantasyFootball Pessimist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not always on board with the new love that CB's need to be at 6' or taller but there is some validity to a degree.

I like Lawson quite a bit and he has very fluid hips and feet, still a little to hands-on and latches quite a bit, but I am not confident in his ability to shadow bigger, quicker twitch, savvy route runners. He has long arms for being 5' 9" and it seems to be a risk for him to be outside. He's a greeat fit for nickel but for a #2 starter CB.

Last years drafted CB, Alex Carter, is an extreme risk, imo, as an outside CB as he has rigid hips and heavy feet for deep routes. He doesn't have that fluidity to match up on any 7,8,9 routes. He needs to be deep and see plays in front him. He does very good in run support. He has SS written all over him, imo. Maybe he progresses this year, idk.

My feeling is Alex Carter doesn't find much,if any playing time this year. Looked like a desperation pick by MM and the dude has ZERO ball skills.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
right here is the tape on awbun bama 2015 Iron Bowl. Ragland #19 is at MLB and watch how he chases down Smith (he's a gadget guy, wr, scat back). It's a jet sweep by Smith. you'll have to move the tape forward to the 8:30 mark or so as the play begins about 8:49... I know he made a couple mistakes with reads/angles in this game but he played lights out

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My feeling is Alex Carter doesn't find much,if any playing time this year. Looked like a desperation pick by MM and the dude has ZERO ball skills.

tbh, thndr, idk either way. I saw him as a SS maybe, possibly FS, when he came out of College. He's a little stiff in his hips when chasing or trailing deep. He needs to be in the back end to see whats going on in front of him and then his reactionary are fine. He can cover in short and intermediate zones as in uphill but against a really quick twitch player like A. Brown, TY Hilton, T. Lockette, I highly doubt it will be a positive outcome for him the majority of the time. He's very good at run stopping. I felt the same way towards Chris Greenwood in that they should have switched him to S. but jmo only. you never can tell.

if a player has some rigidity to his hips, feet or upper body and you expect him to play as a CB, those physical traits of stiffness don't go away. You can teach them better technique to overcome those flaws but it usually doesn't work in the long run. strictly speaking of Carter in CB mold as being a no go.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yeah, the ball skills scare me with him.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To me, we have basically nothing opposite Slay. Lawson should be depth and playing in the nickle. I don't like the matchup on the outside with Lawson against better WRs.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To me, we have basically nothing opposite Slay. Lawson should be depth and playing in the nickle. I don't like the matchup on the outside with Lawson against better WRs.

he likes to have his hands on wr's quite a bit whether it's on their hips or near shoulder's. he was like that in CFB also. he reminds me a little bit of darqueze dennard. he does have really good instincts to read routes and re-direct or jam receivers and shows very well in short to intermediate routes. It's those posts, deep outs and go routes that I'll be concerned with. he still has potential to be better as last year was first full year playing. He won the nickel in his rookie year then got hurt in game 3 of reg. season, so, year three is when we should see more of his development and start to get a final answer on his abilities.

Thruthefog

Can'tre Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Any Jim Bobs in the draft? If so, I'm interested.

Rollingthndr

FantasyFootball Pessimist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ohio State LB Darron Lee's 4.43-second time in the 40-yard dash was faster than the times of all but six wide receivers.

That Lee outpaced almost every wideout on-hand in Indianapolis says at least as much about this relatively slow class of receivers as it does about the 6-foot-2, 228-pound Ohio State product. NFL Network's Daniel Jeremiah's termed him the "perfect new school linebacker" and he showed that kind of eye-popping athleticism at the combine. There's a lot to love here, though he did have his share of missed tackles in 2015. You can get away with whiffing on a few when you're making up for it with speed to spare that other linebackers just can't muster.

Source: rivals.com

I wonder if this guy is flying under the radar a bit for the Lions at #16? Lions can always shift Levy back to MLB (he is being paid like one) and run this guy at WLB. I'm sure Austin could get creative with him.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ohio State LB Darron Lee's 4.43-second time in the 40-yard dash was faster than the times of all but six wide receivers.

That Lee outpaced almost every wideout on-hand in Indianapolis says at least as much about this relatively slow class of receivers as it does about the 6-foot-2, 228-pound Ohio State product. NFL Network's Daniel Jeremiah's termed him the "perfect new school linebacker" and he showed that kind of eye-popping athleticism at the combine. There's a lot to love here, though he did have his share of missed tackles in 2015. You can get away with whiffing on a few when you're making up for it with speed to spare that other linebackers just can't muster.

I wonder if this guy is flying under the radar a bit for the Lions at #16? Lions can always shift Levy back to MLB (he is being paid like one) and run this guy at WLB. I'm sure Austin could get creative with him.

He is a guy I really like. His combine more than likely pushed him into the top 15 picks. Most have him gone before Detroit in the mocks.

With the draft, you never know though. I just want to see Detroit use the picks on defense the first fewe rounds. Hopefully the signing of a WR means Detroit can focus on defense in the draft

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

nothing wrong with pick but I think with him having only two years at OLB (he was a H.S. QB convert) you could get almost the same player (not in 40 timed speed) in LSU OLB Deion Jones (he had only 1 yr as starter), probaly be there in mid 3rd to possibly early 4th, and is smallish like Lee in terms of scouts eyes for WLB. just a thought is all.

LSU OLB is Gandy's pick. they're both relatively close in terms of skill-set and projection. it's just Lee is faster than Jones and in the mold of Shazier (probabaly faster than Shazier).

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

This is a real possiblility but it will depend on Levy. In a couple months they will know if he can play outside anymore. Our first LB pick will tell us their answer to that. If its Ragland or Scooby later on than Levy is still going to be the WLB. If its one of these speed type guys expect to see Levy at MLB.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm defense defense defense also, but I will say it be hard for me to pass on Elliot sitting at 16. Never been huge on RBs early, but he will be a beast for some team.

Only other guy for me that's not defense would be Stanley if he fell to 16

Lions would be fools to pass on Elliot.

Below is the career fumble rate for running back prospects in the 2016 NFL Draft class, starting with the highest (worst).
39.9 – Kenyan Drake, Alabama
43.3 – Alex Collins, Arkansas
44.0 – Daniel Lasco, California
45.6 – C.J. Prosise, Notre Dame
61.2 – Josh Ferguson, Illinois
61.6 – Wendell Smallwood, West Virginia
63.5 – Kenneth Dixon, Louisiana Tech
63.8 – Tre Madden, USC
71.1 – Devontae Booker, Utah
72.0 – Jonathan Williams, Arkansas
104.1 – DeAndre Washington, Texas Tech
111.8 – Jordan Howard, Indiana
123.0 – Tyler Ervin, San Jose State
123.8 – Derrick Henry, Alabama
128.8 – Tra Carson, Texas A&M
138.5 – Keith Marshall, Georgia
140.4 – Paul Perkins, UCLA
162.5 – Ezekiel Elliott, Ohio State
169.7 – Aaron Green, TCU
Kelvin Taylor, Florida (no fumbles in college)

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Below is the career fumble rate for running back prospects in the 2016 NFL Draft class, starting with the highest (worst).
39.9 – Kenyan Drake, Alabama
43.3 – Alex Collins, Arkansas
44.0 – Daniel Lasco, California
45.6 – C.J. Prosise, Notre Dame
61.2 – Josh Ferguson, Illinois
61.6 – Wendell Smallwood, West Virginia
63.5 – Kenneth Dixon, Louisiana Tech
63.8 – Tre Madden, USC
71.1 – Devontae Booker, Utah
72.0 – Jonathan Williams, Arkansas
104.1 – DeAndre Washington, Texas Tech
111.8 – Jordan Howard, Indiana
123.0 – Tyler Ervin, San Jose State
123.8 – Derrick Henry, Alabama
128.8 – Tra Carson, Texas A&M
138.5 – Keith Marshall, Georgia
140.4 – Paul Perkins, UCLA
162.5 – Ezekiel Elliott, Ohio State
169.7 – Aaron Green, TCU
Kelvin Taylor, Florida (no fumbles in college)
As much as I hate to say it. Elliot will be a beast. I would hate using a high pick on offense though, unless they were sold on an OL that they see as a LT.
At least if they did draft Elliot, I would understand why. I'm still scratching my head on the EE pick though. :)

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As much as I hate to say it. Elliot will be a beast. I would hate using a high pick on offense though, unless they were sold on an OL that they see as a LT.
At least if they did draft Elliot, I would understand why. I'm still scratching my head on the EE pick though. :)

Lions continue to be way at the bottom of the league at rushing. One way to fix that is to invest in a beast of a talent. Sure, fix the O-line, but hard to pass on a guy like that.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

drafting Elliot would open up so many outlets. They'd have to be sure about OL play but Zeke is a decent receiving back, he was the very best CFB RB in pass-pro (had 76 snaps and didn't miss one pass-pro block). You could have Zeke and AA in same backfield staying in place or one moving, Riddick in slot with Tater and M Jones outside. It could be one nearly unstoppable offense if the OL plays well. You have to add in your favorite of EE somewhere in theretoo. some many options but OL has to have quality run block first and improve upon pass block.

I think they need some vet FA_RT to be solid swing guy if Ola is starter and not banking on rookie's C. Robinson or T. Thompson.

I wouldn't object to Zeke. I just like ZZ but as gandy had to point out to me Zeke is a huge upgrade over ZZ.

Besides, I look at building this team through FA and the draft for next two years and if they hit the playoffs then good. If they don't make the playoffs then it's higher picks and more ability to add depth through draft.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lions continue to be way at the bottom of the league at rushing. One way to fix that is to invest in a beast of a talent. Sure, fix the O-line, but hard to pass on a guy like that.
If the OL sucks as much as previous two seasons then you see what happens to RB's who don't have a crease or hole to run through. Now, saying that, there are stats out there showing that once JBC became OC there was a 30+ yd increase in runs. it may have been scheme change, may have been OL having chemistry, cohesion, rb with better vision or all of the above.

The OL has to open holes or it won't matter who the fuckin RB is or how good he appeared to be facing CFB DLines as he'll be facing much tougher Def in NFL

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Besides, @lionstop1 , you were one of an extreme few who kept saying that AA would be just fine as a #1RB for the Lions last year and it didn't matter on scheme of zone or power block.

Seems different now that another shiny new toy possibly added will make all the difference. There's a big difference between AA and Zeke and it goes to Zeke. buttttttt

I had noted here on the board that Lions under Lombardi had nearly 69 rush yds. per game then when JBC took over before the KC game which was #8 game of year, couldn't make changes on 3 days notice and traveling to London, so I discounted that game. They had a bye week following KC which gave JBC some time to simply blocking scheme. The last 7 games of year the Lions avg 97 rush yds per game. It was a positive but that doesn't mean it carries over to following year. We can only hope it does.

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@Big_Blue_72
Is this that keeping you in check you spoke of with us? I'm not into attempting to upgrade with same caliber talent level. I like home run upgrades.

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The San Diego game was a eye opener for that. Even with ZZ on the roster they ran the ball 7 times in second half. Showed a huge problem early IMO. Could that be all on Lombardi? Maybe it is, as they ran pretty solid late in the season.

Not to mention what a Elliot lead run game would do for Stafford without CJ around. Just understand I'm only pro Elliot early. No one else.