• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

LIONS FIRE SCHWARTZ OFFICIALLY

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know Lewand mentioned Scotty could feel free to look for employment or whatever but I didn't hear Cunningham mentioned. Maybe I missed it, or maybe you're right and his ax will drop later. I don't know.

They said Linehan and one other were gone but everyone else is still under contract. Gunny is still here.

Gunny has earned the respect of being retained for the next HC to decide on imo. Maybe he stays in some other capacity. Maybe the new HC will think the D is good while the O needs most help. Hard to say but he def has more clout than that career failure Linehan. Glad to see them treated differently.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lappano can put the "Most Drops" tag on his résumé if he wants. Funny that only he and Scotty got canned aside from Schwartz.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gunny has earned the respect of being retained for the next HC to decide on imo. Maybe he stays in some other capacity. Maybe the new HC will think the D is good while the O needs most help. Hard to say but he def has more clout than that career failure Linehan. Glad to see them treated differently.

I think he'll interview for HC tbh.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think he'll interview for HC tbh.

Does mingling with the guy who sings Forward Down the Field count towards the Rooney rule? I'm impatient.

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Does mingling with the guy who sings Forward Down the Field count towards the Rooney rule? I'm impatient.

Lovie or Ray Horton would not bother me, as long as they have good OC or QB coach in mind prior to the hiring. I just want right guy. Whether it be tomorrow or next month.

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You get a chance watch the Browns owner interview. He got lambasted by a reporter. He called the team a embarrassment and the owners face said it all.

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The only fucking way Scott Linehan will be a hot commodity is if someone sets him on fire.

His play calling is nothing short of pathetic. If the media or fans or anybody wants to know how we continually lost in the 4th Q just look at how we always completely went away from running the offense the same way we did to get the lead in the first place. That's all on Linehan.

Will they have to put him in a brown paper bag and throw him on someones front porch too ?

LPinSLC

Gang Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Will they have to put him in a brown paper bag and throw him on someones front porch too ?

I don't think anyone would even step on him to put him out.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
btw here is the official rules for interviewing coordinators in the playoffs for us Wisenhunt fans.

Teams may not interview assistants from another team for either a lateral move or a head coaching opportunity during the season. The lone exception to this rule comes when teams want to interview assistants for head coaching jobs while the current team is in the playoffs. As there is an urgency to hire new head coaches for some non-playoff teams, the NFL does allow teams to request permission to interview a postseason participant's assistants during the wild card week for teams who have the bye that week

Read more: NFL Rules for Interviewing Assistant Coaches | eHow

Think that means the Lions can't "offically" talk to him/offer him a job until SD out of the playoffs since they don't have a bye.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You get a chance watch the Browns owner interview. He got lambasted by a reporter. He called the team a embarrassment and the owners face said it all.

Never have seen/heard a reporter read Facebook posts to an NFL owner during a press conference before. I liked it.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Problem is the gen consensus among the NFL elite is the team has "gobs of talent" and is "the most attractive job available." if true, and this helps them land a serious HC, then it goes along with the idea that Mayhew stays.

I think you hit it spot-on, and it's hardly a problem. Mayhew has put together a talented roster, and Schwartz just wasn't a high-level coach.

It bothers the shit out of me that people can't separate what a GM is supposed to do from what a coach is supposed to do. GMs are supposed to assemble talent, coaches are supposed to use said talent to win games. If the consensus around the league is that we have a very talented roster, then I think it's clear where the blame for Schwartz's record over the last few years falls...

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It bothers the shit out of me that people can't separate what a GM is supposed to do from what a coach is supposed to do.

Just wait until Ken Wisenhunt's name starts coming up and fans bitch about him ignoring the Cards shitty O line all the years he was there. I can see it now.

VulturesRule

Nothing To See Here
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So mind numbing listening to vapid caller after vapid caller on 97.1 bitch about Stafford not being Brady or Brees. I wonder if every city has these kind of fans. They probably do.

I work in the Twin Cities, so it's Vikings and Packers mostly when it comes ot sports radio shows. The Vikings fans are justifiably frustrated with their QB, whreas the Packer fans are really happy with the Viking's QB situation....

But more to your point, pretty much if the team isn't on its way to the SuperBowl, some fan is complaining and knows how to get the team there better than the current coach/GM/owner. It's the nature of the beast.

jayfan

{firestan}
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just wait until Ken Wisenhunt's name starts coming up and fans bitch about him ignoring the Cards shitty O line all the years he was there. I can see it now.

I already mentioned it. Just sayin. ;)

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I will never again refer to him as anything other than Millenhew. Five years with the coach he hired = garbage results.

You seem to be trying really hard to over-simplify the situation to better serve your point. He may have hired Schwartz, but he also wanted to fire him last year, but did not have the authority to do so. That tells me that while he runs his department (personnel) he doesn't have final say over coaching hires, as is the case in most of the NFL, where the owner is the true boss. And we all know our owner doesn't exactly have much of a track record for success.

Garbage coach given a ridiculously overpaid contract extension.
By Mayhew? I think not. Again, you're bending the facts to suit your argument.

Miss after miss after miss in the draft.
Compared to his contemporaries he hasn't done nearly as poorly in the draft as he gets credit for. He's made some really good picks (all of which were "no-brainers," of course) to go along with his string of missed picks on 2nd round skill players.

Couldnt possibly do anything other than improve the talent level of the team because it was at Zero when he took over.
But it wasn't at zero after year one, or two, or three, or last year, when he had his best offseason to date. Yes, he started with nothing, but even now that we're well past that point he's still been able to make us even more talented.

None of that equals a guy who deserves to be retained.
No, if you focus on (and embellish the hell out of) the negatives, then he doesn't come across as someone who deserves to stay. However, if you look as his tenure objectively and focus on what his job is (and it's not coaching or dealing with coach's contracts) then I think he's shown that he's absolutely someone who has shown that they deserve to stay.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And when Washington peddles Cousins for a high pick to get back some of what they spent on RG3 it looks a lot better. Cousins was not the problem.
Never going to happen. If Cousins was worth a high pick someone would have drafted him as such when he came out. It's not like he was a small-school, raw, developmental QB. He came out pretty polished and doesn't have a whole lot of room to grow. Don't get me wrong, he's a decent QB who could develop into an NFL starter, but he doesn't have the requsite skill-set to make some team give up a high pick (or picks) for him.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The only fucking way Scott Linehan will be a hot commodity is if someone sets him on fire.

His play calling is nothing short of pathetic. If the media or fans or anybody wants to know how we continually lost in the 4th Q just look at how we always completely went away from running the offense the same way we did to get the lead in the first place. That's all on Linehan.

AMEN!

"...just look at how we always completely went away from running the offense the same way we did to get the lead in the first place."
That is Linehan in a nutshell. "What's that? We're killing them by doing "xxxxx"? Well then we better stop doing that asap or they're going to catch on!" That's how I picture his thought process anyhow... abandon the run when it's working, pound the rock when there's 9 in the box and Megatron is singled up. Throw deep to Megatron 4 times a game with huge success, then stop doing it for 6 weeks straight. Killing them with the screen in the 1st half? Better scrap that in our half-time adjustments...

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I already mentioned it. Just sayin. ;)

But the GM drafts the players. Did Wisenhunt have GM duties in AZ? I don't think he did but maybe you know something I don't. I love what he has done with Rivers and would love to see him work with Stafford. Everytime he has had a good QB he wins. Besides, all we really need is a new C and a LG. Maybe a RT. But the LT is set and that's the most important part of the line.