• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

LIONS FIRE SCHWARTZ OFFICIALLY

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good move by the Lions. When you have as much talent on the roster as Detriot does and you fail to win 10 games the blame has to go on the coach. They have some exciting players and if you put the right coaching staff in there I expect to see the Lions in the playoffs next year.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Millenhew did not deserve to be retained. One good offseason, from which huge question marks surround whether or not he even deserves the credit for it, is not good enough. His win loss record is the same as Schwartz and everyone wanted him to be fired. What's the difference?

Please dont tell me that the team has steadily improved the talent we have because we had absolutely nowhere to go but up. The fact is he did serve under the biggest joke in NFL history as a GM and that is part of his track record, which doesnt get much better once he was put in charge.

Problem is the gen consensus among the NFL elite is the team has "gobs of talent" and is "the most attractive job available." if true, and this helps them land a serious HC, then it goes along with the idea that Mayhew stays.

jdwills126

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Say thnx again for Avril,i know how you all said he stinks,guess it was the coaching or the team or something.

Cya next year maybe,,,,,,:suds:

From the few times I watched Seattle I did not see Avril make much of an impact.

Valion78

SportsHoopla Noob
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Schwartz was a good go between from a job no one really wanted to what is a desirable location for the top available coaches. He was committed to trying to run the ball and the team is better off for it. He went into ultra conservative mode game after game with one of the best offenses in the NFL. His lack of aggressive defensive playcalling killed us more times than not. I don't hate him but I'm glad he's gone.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Say thnx again for Avril,i know how you all said he stinks,guess it was the coaching or the team or something.

Cya next year maybe,,,,,,:suds:

20 tackles and 8 sacks. He had better seasons than that in Detroit making millions less. Can't see the Hawks keeping him past his current contract.

jdwills126

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Schwartz's total lack of discipline did him in. If he would have dealt with the dumb penalties and mental mistakes the Lions win the division.

Dr. Evil-er

Mayhew for President 2016
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Problem is the gen consensus among the NFL elite is the team has "gobs of talent" and is "the most attractive job available." if true, and this helps them land a serious HC, then it goes along with the idea that Mayhew stays.

I will never again refer to him as anything other than Millenhew. Five years with the coach he hired = garbage results. Garbage coach given a ridiculously overpaid contract extension. Miss after miss after miss in the draft. Couldnt possibly do anything other than improve the talent level of the team because it was at Zero when he took over. None of that equals a guy who deserves to be retained.

I'll add one more thing......the ability for a new coach to have influence on who the new GM would be could be a big factor in helping secure the best candidate for the HC vacancy. I see no real positives of keeping him. Millenhew blows.

Rob

Forward down the field, Bitches.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree. This is not the time to experiment with lifetime coordinators/assistants or young hotshot potential. This team is at a stage where it needs an experienced head coach with a track record of success.

One guy I am pulling for is Lovie Smith. He has credibility and it seemed he was respected around the league and within his own team. He has an overall winning record despite having some lousy QBs during his tenure in Chicago. He has won playoff games and been to a Superbowl. He accomplished it all while coaching against good/great Packer teams. My only concern would be that he can bring in a stable set of coordinators.

jdwills126

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Whomever comes in Detroit needs to bring in a young QB, like Washington did with with Cousins after taking RG3.

Stafford is still the guy but maybe with a good young guy getting developed may put some pressure on Stafford to play better and not get sloppy with the football.

If Schwatz would have benched Stafford in the Steeler or Tampa Game maybe Stafford would have got the message to protect the football. These are the things I think Schwartz was incapable of.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Whomever comes in Detroit needs to bring in a young QB, like Washington did with with Cousins after taking RG3.

That turned out to be a disaster for the Redskins. Both of them suck, and the pressure it created brought the team crumbling down from the inside out.

Also totally retarded taking two QB's when you only have like 3 picks in 2 drafts after trading the rest away. Moronic beyond comprehension.

MI Nightmare

Slow Roller
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,317.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Lions don't need another QB, they need a QB coach.

Rob

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Lions don't need another QB, they need a QB coach.

When Shaun hill walks out the door they will need another QB. I honestly don't know who the Lions 3rd String QB is (amazing I say that because historically the 3rd stringer is who I want to see in the game).

jdwills126

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That turned out to be a disaster for the Redskins. Both of them suck, and the pressure it created brought the team crumbling down from the inside out.

Also totally retarded taking two QB's when you only have like 3 picks in 2 drafts after trading the rest away. Moronic beyond comprehension.

And when Washington peddles Cousins for a high pick to get back some of what they spent on RG3 it looks a lot better. Cousins was not the problem.

Reports out of DC is that Snyder had developed a friendship with RG3 and RG3 was by passing Shanahan and going right to Snyder and that under minded Shanahan. So much so Shanahan almost resigned a few weeks ago.

Shanahan is a train wreck as a head coach but you can't let a player have that type of access to ownership. Plus it's Snyder that is wasteful with draft picks. Giving up what they did for RG3 was stupid IMO.

Rob

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
18m Matthew Stafford said "I owe a ton" to offensive coordinator Scott Linehan and "I'n sure he'll be a hot commodity"

I respect and admire Stafford's loyalty, but he'll figure out that this is best for him, and grow up with his next HC. This is a landmark moment in his career that he'll one day look back on as a blessing in disguise imo.

This could be like when Drew Brees (after 5 seasons) left San Diego and became a much better QB when he got into the right situation. Not saying Stafford will become elite, but the change of coaching may give him a whole new perspective on the QB position.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kreton

Former 5x UFC Champion
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I will never again refer to him as anything other than Millenhew. Five years with the coach he hired = garbage results. Garbage coach given a ridiculously overpaid contract extension. Miss after miss after miss in the draft. Couldnt possibly do anything other than improve the talent level of the team because it was at Zero when he took over. None of that equals a guy who deserves to be retained.

I'll add one more thing......the ability for a new coach to have influence on who the new GM would be could be a big factor in helping secure the best candidate for the HC vacancy. I see no real positives of keeping him. Millenhew blows.

As far as his decisions, I'm not completely pissed by anything Mayhew did. I felt like he gave this staff a good amount of talent to work with. They just never built on it. I think Mayhew's biggest mistake (if he had a choice) was keeping this staff around as long as he did.

MI Nightmare

Slow Roller
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,317.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe we can still steal O'Brien. I would be OK with Wizenhunt or Lovie though. I agree we should be getting whomever the best available coach is. Cant see any other vacancy as attractive as this one.

I dont really watch college football, but I know O'Brien from his time up here. There may be some other intriguing college HCs that would make sense too. I just need to read up when they put the list out there.

O'Brien coaches his players up and understands the Xs and Os. Sumlin, Shaw, Franklin and Dantanio are all names (among others) being thrown around but I'd rather go with O'Brien or target a NFL OC.

lionscanWIN

The Morenci Mauler
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
thank god he is gone, i really appreciate the job he did getting us over the hump. he gave the team a great attitude/cockiness that we desperately needed after becoming the laughing stock in 08. that crap got out of control fast and he had the most horrible in game instincts.

i really want wisenhunt he has done a great job upscaling 3 different offenses when there is a QB to work with. you give him the talent and he can get the job done. cowher would be cool but too old school IMO to work with our team/offense. so for me right now it has to be wisenhunt or bust

jdwills126

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
18m Matthew Stafford said "I owe a ton" to offensive coordinator Scott Linehan and "I'n sure he'll be a hot commodity"

I respect and admire Stafford's loyalty, but he'll figure out that this is best for him, and grow up with his next HC. This is a landmark moment in his career that he'll one day look back on as a blessing in disguise imo.

I am not that down on Linehan! If Mayhew would have gotten Stafford a couple more WR with starting NFL caliber talent he would have more successful. Not that he doesn't need mechanics help but really Burleson is two years past his expiration date and durham is a #4 or 5 at best. Broyles was an injury concern and the Lions should have passed as they had pressing needs. Titus Young? Derrick Williams?

When the talent isn't their it's hard to get the best from your QB. Pettigrew is average at best and Jahvid Best never panned out due to injuries…again a guy that should have been passed on.

Last edited by a moderator: