• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Lions currently sowed up the 8th overall pick

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rotoworld fantasy College Football news and analysis

• NFL Network's Daniel Jeremiah "wouldn't be surprised" if Vanderbilt CB Joejuan Williams was the best corner in the 2019 NFL Draft.
    Williams (6'3/208) checked-in as Jeremiah's No. 47 overall player earlier this week, but it appears that he may be ranked higher whenever his next rankings come out. Jeremiah is a fan of Williams' size and strength and even mentions him as an ideal fit for the Seattle Seahawks. As a junior, Williams deflected 13 passes and collected four interceptions. Williams has emerged as a legit second-round prospect.

Source: Daniel Jeremiah on Twitter
    Feb 13, 2019, 6:52 PM
More player news

I love this kid too. He and Murphy are my targets but I would be OK Baker or even Greedy too. I just think the first 3 are low risk. Just do not know if we go CB early.

Old Lion

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For the love of all that is holy — please do not draft a TE with the 8th pick in the draft.
CBS has TJ Hockenson as the Lions pick. :gaah:

Also rumors of a QB. My guess is Bevell is drueling over Kylar Murray.

Old Lion

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So far my draft is:

LB White LSU
CB Williams Vandy
WR Butler IA ST
RB Love Stan

I think we address edge in FA. I am pretty sure Trey Flowers is coming over. Also TE as well. Jesse James would make a lot of sense and then draft one later on.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think we address edge in FA. I am pretty sure Trey Flowers is coming over.

Do you honestly believe the Lions can outbid other teams above us in cap space that also need a versatile edge rusher/DE ?

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have him as number 8 behind Samuel. There are a group of a half dozen WRs with him that could be ranked interchangeably and I put him at the top. They put him on the bottom. I just like what I have seen on video. I didnt see too much of what was in that draft sites analysis.

I have absolutely nothing against Hakeem Butler, however if we're going after a WR in this draft it better be a WR who can create separation and have damn good speed to draw coverage to him and away from Kenny Golladay, Marvin Jones and whichever TE they draft this year.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So far my draft is:

LB White LSU
CB Williams Vandy
WR Butler IA ST
RB Love Stan

I think we address edge in FA. I am pretty sure Trey Flowers is coming over. Also TE as well. Jesse James would make a lot of sense and then draft one later on.

I really like Devin White but I went back to watch SEC only games on youtube (bama, aTm, Miss. St. Georgia), the more I saw a similarity to Jarrad Davis. There were numerous missed tackles that he clearly should have made, poor foot balance upon contact with O-Lineman which he couldn't shed their blocks, over-pursue, under-pursue, wrong reads with RB/TE's.

I wouldn't be disappointed if he was drafted but I already want a re-draft and not take J. Davis. Maybe the two together can become a great combo, idk.

Also, there isn't much of a choice of very good LB'ers this year and I sure as hell wouldn't draft Bama's Mack Wilson and those two, White and Wilson, are considered top 2/3 (Devin Bush being the other in that discussion).

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think we address edge in FA. I am pretty sure Trey Flowers is coming over.

even if the Lions do sign Flowers in FA, I hope they double down in the draft at Edge-Rusher/DE and CB in the draft so long as they trade down from #8 multiple times.

You cannot have enough quality Edge-Rusher's or CB's. Besides, Kennard only has two years left and if they re-sign Okwara that would only be for 1 year. It's worth it to draft two this year seems as though it takes at least a year if not 2 years to get these draft prospects producing. all imo.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also rumors of a QB. My guess is Bevell is drueling over Kylar Murray.

I will take anything other than a TE again in the top 10 of the 1st round.

Grab a CB, grab a DE, grab a LB — hell, if they feel Stafford isn’t the guy and the want to trade him — Draft Murray.

But for the love of god, do not draft another TE with a top 10 pick:lol:

Old Lion

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do you honestly believe the Lions can outbid other teams above us in cap space that also need a versatile edge rusher/DE ?

I think the connections he has here will make a difference. He knows the system and knows he will be successful in it. That might be worth taking a little less instead of playing for the Raiders or Jets. He would not play the Pats unless both made the superbowl.

Old Lion

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
even if the Lions do sign Flowers in FA, I hope they double down in the draft at Edge-Rusher/DE and CB in the draft so long as they trade down from #8 multiple times.

You cannot have enough quality Edge-Rusher's or CB's. Besides, Kennard only has two years left and if they re-sign Okwara that would only be for 1 year. It's worth it to draft two this year seems as though it takes at least a year if not 2 years to get these draft prospects producing. all imo.

I like Okwara and would sign him for more than a year if possible but I understand we cant keep everyone.

Old Lion

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have absolutely nothing against Hakeem Butler, however if we're going after a WR in this draft it better be a WR who can create separation and have damn good speed to draw coverage to him and away from Kenny Golladay, Marvin Jones and whichever TE they draft this year.

There are 3 little speedy guys this year too and 1 migh slip to round 3. I just dont think that is what bevell does on offense though. Thats why I wanted a bigger guy that does not need space. Bevell does a lot of 2 WR sets and tight formations.

Old Lion

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I will take anything other than a TE again in the top 10 of the 1st round.

Grab a CB, grab a DE, grab a LB — hell, if they feel Stafford isn’t the guy and the want to trade him — Draft Murray. But for the love of god, do not draft another TE with a top 10 pick:lol:

I hear ya. Also, I would be OK shaking it up and drafting Murray. We could trade Staff to the Jags and get a bunch of extra picks. Heck maybe they could bring in Cooter down there.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the connections he has here will make a difference. He knows the system and knows he will be successful in it. That might be worth taking a little less instead of playing for the Raiders or Jets. He would not play the Pats unless both made the superbowl.

hypothetically speaking only, Let's say one of Colts (obvious playoff contenders right now), Jets, Raiders offer him 5 years 85M (17 per yr and 60M guaranteed) and Lions only cough up 5 years 75M (15M per yr average and 52M guaranteed) where does he go. He has two SB rings already. Does he follow the $$$$ train.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There are 3 little speedy guys this year too and 1 migh slip to round 3. I just dont think that is what bevell does on offense though. Thats why I wanted a bigger guy that does not need space. Bevell does a lot of 2 WR sets and tight formations.

When I posted Bevell's tendencies (they may have changed compared to being at Seattle with their then personnel and what the Lions currently have) the 3rd WR didn't get as many targets as the No.1 TE when he had a quality TE. Therefore, I believe TE is the more logical choice of draft over a WR.

The other alternative fact is maybe MP truly doesn't want Marvin Jones around so it's quite possible they may look at a No.2 WR that could be a BPA of need per say on the 2nd day. If they draft a so-called No.2 on the 2nd day then I'd expect BQ/MP to move Marvin on day 3 for a 4th or 5th round pick this year.

It wouldn't save but roughly 3M this year while having 5+M in dead money but my impression of MJ getting on social media and bitching about being removed from the sidelines before the game started (he was injured and team policy is if you're injured, you're not to be on the sideline during a game) didn't sit well with MP.

In the above situation I could possibly see a can't pass up BPA with need might take place.

Last edited:

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like Okwara and would sign him for more than a year if possible but I understand we cant keep everyone.

I believe Okwara being a RFA they only have to offer a 1 year tender and preferably a 2nd round tender as it only costs slightly over 3M for the year this upcoming season and if another team equals that tender and sign him then that team has to cough up a 2nd round draft pick in 2019.

I don't think it's a wise decision to lay out a 2-3 year contract as last year was his first year getting that many snaps and all those snaps were due in majority part because of Ansah being hurt.

It's quite possible for Okwara to regress this year.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So far my draft is:

LB White LSU
CB Williams Vandy
WR Butler IA ST
RB Love Stan

He's coming off an ACL tear in November or late late October I believe it was. That's a risky pick for a 4th rounder, imo. It's now 2 consecutive years being wrought with injuries (ankle and now knee)

He might have lost some of that explosiveness and he wasn't nearly as good early on in 2018 as he was in any part of 2017. 2016 wasn't all that great either for him.

NFL Draft 2019: Bryce Love reveals he tore his ACL in final Stanford game

Last edited:

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
WalterFootball.com: 2019 NFL Draft Player Preview: Bryce Love

Love averaged a staggering 8.3 yards per carry in 2017 on his way to 2,118 yards with 19 touchdowns. As a receiver, he made six catches for 33 yards. Love ran for 263 yards on UCLA and 301 yards on Arizona State. A leg injury slowed him down late in the year, but he gutted it out and continued to be productive despite the injury. Against good opponents, Love maintained a good yards-per-attempt figure despite not having his top speed and explosiveness: Washington - 5.5 for 166 yards -, Notre Dame -6.3 for 125 yards -, USC - 5.7 for 125 yards -, and TCU - 5.6 for 145 yards.

Teams will be selling out to stop Love this fall, but they were in the back half of last year, too, and only his injury slowed him down.

Here is how one college director summarized Love, "He has great gas [speed]. If the other 10 all execute their jobs for a second or two, this guy is gone. He is special. He has great vision, balance, is shifty, and more strength to get through tackles than you would think. I graded him late [in Round 1] before he decided to come back."

What really sets Love apart as a runner is his speed. He is an extremely fast back who is a threat to take any carry to the end zone. With his rare acceleration and explosiveness, Love can to get to the secondary in a blur. Once in the open field, he will run away from the defenders and his speed can take away angles. Love has a great first step and darts through the hole to get into the second level of the defense. In the open field, Love also is elusive, although not as shifty as McCaffrey. Love is more straight line than McCaffrey was at Stanford.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would be a very heavy lean to Montez Sweat at #8 at that this point. He needs to develop better awareness at containing the edge for run fits but He truly has some of the best, if not the very best, hand usage of any Edge Rusher coming out this year.

WalterFootball.com: 2019 NFL Draft Scouting Report: Montez Sweat

Strengths:
  • Excellent length
  • Long arms - 35.63 inches
  • Natural pass-rush feel
  • Good instincts
  • Quickness off the edge
  • Very good in pursuit
  • Annual double-digit sack potential in his pro career
  • Speed-to-power rusher
  • Active hands
  • Pursuit run defense
  • Good play recognition
  • Ability to redirect
  • Active hands
  • Burst to close
  • Gives a second effort
  • Has some functional strength
  • Upside

Weaknesses:
  • A little stiff in the hips
  • Needs to refine and add more pass-rushing moves
  • Can get knocked to the ground
  • Can get pushed out his gap
  • Needs more weight, strength to take on NFL offensive tackles
  • Has some maturity issues, but not a bad kid

2019 Senior Bowl: Weigh-In Results - Optimum Scouting

DE Montez Sweat Mississippi State South 6060..... 252...…. 9 7/8...…... 35 5/8...……. 84 1/2

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
10 players who impressed at Senior Bowl practices

Montez Sweat, DE, Mississippi State, 6-6, 252

Sweat likely made himself some money here in Mobile this week. He was considered a mid to late first-round pick coming in, but had a terrific week that might just move him up some boards. Physically, he fits the bill. He showed off a terrific blend of power and quickness in both individual pass rush drills and in team periods. He has a wide range of moves that will give him a head start on his rookie campaign.