• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Lions currently sowed up the 8th overall pick

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A Senior Bowl pass rusher for every round for the Lions

First round: Montez Sweat, Mississippi State
One of the big winners from the practice sessions in Mobile, Sweat displayed the coveted ability to win with both power and speed. His one-armed stiff arm was brutally effective, and he showed the ability to finish with a variety of moves.

The 6-6, 252-pound Sweat paired nicely with Jeffery Simmons to wreak havoc on opposing offenses for the Bulldogs the last two years. If the name rings a louder bell, Sweat originally played at Michigan State before transferring.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Packers: 3 options at the 12th overall pick | PackersTalk.com

Montez Sweat – Edge Rusher, Mississippi State
Luckily for the Green Bay Packers, the edge rusher position is quite deep in this draft, so in addition to Polite, they will have other options at the 12th pick.

In recent weeks, Sweat has jumped up many big boards because of his performance at the Senior Bowl. Whether it was during practices or in the game, Sweat dominated just about everyone he went up against.

Since he was a senior this past season, Sweat has been able to string together a couple of fantastic seasons. In 2017 as a junior, Sweat led the SEC in sacks with 10.5 and tackles for loss with 15.5.

This past year, he tallied 47 total quarterback pressures, along with an incredible 21 combined sacks and quarterback hits. Sweat also recorded 53 total tackles, 14.5 tackles for loss, and 12 sacks.

PFF College‏Verified account @PFF_College
Montez Sweat got after the passer this season

DvwmKQuXQAAkQwJ.jpg

8:43 AM - 31 Dec 2018

Sweat uses his 6’6″ length and long arms to his advantage by creating space between himself and the offensive player. His burst at the snap and constant use of his hands are big contributors towards his success.

Where Sweat differs from Polite is that he isn’t as athletic and doesn’t operate as well in open space, but as we’ve seen, when it comes to wreaking havoc in the backfield, Sweat is as good as they come.

In addition to these three players, there are a number of other potential candidates for the Green Bay Packers to take with the 12th overall pick. However, if they end up with either of these three, the draft will be off to a fantastic start.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Crabbs
First Step Explosiveness – First step explosiveness covers a great deal of distance, will bound out of stance and quickly set hip to hip with tackles with weight forward on his hands. Two point release is not nearly as dynamic and at times will pop straight up out of stance instead of driving forward.

Ledyard
Burst/Arc Speed – First step varies from good to great. Almost never late off the ball, and will typically show excellent timing of the snap on long/late downs. Long strides devour the arc and can force his opponent into a hasty retreat, opening up space for inside counters. Explosiveness is more limited from a two-point stance (played almost entirely from 3-point stance in 2018).

Marino
Burst – Excellent snap anticipator and eats up ground with his initial steps out of his stance. Uncoils smoothly with no false step out of a three-point stance. Wish he had more burst to complement his timing, fluidity and stride length.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Montez Sweat

Crabbs
Pass Rush Counters – Best counters are push/pull combination, rip/club and power rushes. Linear explosiveness yields success why trying to collapse the pocket. Does not have the hip mobility to drop the inside shoulder and work hips across the frame of blockers, takes wide angled corners.

Ledyard
Rush Moves – Has strung together some awesome rush combinations during his time at Mississippi State, although they are fewer and further between than you’d like to see. Loves the long arm-snatch-rip combo. Has pulled off the push-pull from a long arm stab before to win the edge. Would like to see him convert speed-to-power more. Never hesitant to deploy his hands as a pass rusher, but can do a better job of breaking his opponent’s grip when he does get locked up.

Counters – With his first step and stride length, tackles overset consistently on him, opening up inside rush lanes. It’s imperative that Sweat begin to recognize opportunities to counter more readily into those lanes, rather than rushing up the arc, getting locked up and then trying to work back inside. He has to learn to set up those counters as go-to moves.

Marino
Pass Rush – Long arms, stride length, effort and counters are the traits he leans on to generate pressure. Twitch, flexibility and burst are all lacking. Has good vision to read the set of the offensive tackle and execute his plan accordingly. Can string together moves but he’s fairly rigid.

Last edited:

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Montez Sweat

Crabbs
Hand Technique – Hands work tirelessly in efforts to set on the chest of blockers before clubbing or ripping off of a block and into a pursuit role. Hand punch is timed well and recovery strength to pop the hands out and establish a crease enables late disengage vs. the run.

Marino
Hand Technique – Hands are active and he features a variety of counters. That said, needs to be more deliberate and sudden when stringing together moves. Length makes it difficult for blockers to work into his frame but works overtime to clear his frame if the blocker gets their hands fit.

Last edited:

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Montez Sweat

Crabbs
Run Defending – Terrific ability to lock horns with offensive tackles and length/wingspan leaves space open to duck back across the face of the block and challenge a ball carrier in outside-in leveraged reps or as a potential two-gap defender. Sets the edge effectively.

Ledyard
Run Defense – The only complaint anyone could have about his run defense is that he may not have the athleticism to play in space a lot and be successful. At the point of attack, Sweat fires off the ball into his opponent, setting a strong edge and consistently maximizing his length. Does a terrific job of stacking and shedding with full arm extension, hand placement and physicality are exactly what you want. Understands when to step down and take on a puller, but can also make plays when unblocked from the backside. Crazy how many plays he makes by setting the edge, then getting off a block to chase down a ball carrier running to a gap inside of him.

Marino
Run Defense – Notable strength area. Plays with wonderful extension and a stout anchor that allows him to set a firm edge and squeeze gaps. Processes blocking schemes, knows his techniques and finds the football. Great awareness. Works down the line of scrimmage from the backside effectively. Clearly understands run fits and is disciplined to control his gap.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Montez Sweat

Crabbs
Football IQ – Technically refined defender with his hands. Ceiling as a pass rusher will be limited due to tightness but has illustrated pass rush counters that can effectively transition him to the NFL game and allow for pressures on a consistent basis.

Ledyard
Mental Processing/Vision – Mental processing in the run game is very good, finds the football and quickly reacts to the play to get in pursuit. Rarely fooled or caught out of position, very gap-sound defender. As a pass rusher, needs to identify overset and use inside moves more heavily, but does work back to the depth of the pocket fairly often once his edge rush is shut down.

Marino
Processing – Astute processor. Sees through blocks and does well to find the football. Plays with good technique overall and has a plan to get off blocks. Takes advantage of his length.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Montez Sweat

Crabbs
Flexibility – Reaches the apex of his rushes and either needs to be disengaged or will be ridden past the pocket. Has a great anchor at the line of scrimmage as a power player to squat and hold ground. Slipperiness in space is limited due to struggles getting small through gaps.

Ledyard
Bend/Flexibility – More limited than you’d like to see in this area. Hip flexibility isn’t ideal, struggles to turn tight corners and bend through contact to the pocket. High-hipped defender who can only reduce his surface area so much when cornering, has a hard time winning the corner clean unless he gets an amazing jump off the ball. Often pushed up the arc when cornering, even by tackles in full-on recovery mode. Does have some good ankle flexibility to tilt by tackles when he gets the jump on them.

Marino
Flexibility – If he’s uncontested up the arc, Sweat has the ankle flexion to turn the corner but his hips are tight. Leggy and segmented when changing directions and turning. Limited twitch. High center of gravity affects his body control and balance.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Simmons Falling? | Pretty Penny v. Bargain Buy - The Draft Network

BB_72; keep an eye out for Bama OLB Christian Miller. He should be a player MP likes. I don't agree with him going in round 4 with that injury history (biceps tear 1st game in 2017 against FSU and came back game 11. Injured again in late 2018 with a groin injury that kept him out of the NCG. It really hurt Bama's pass rush. I'd take a flyer on him in 5th at the earliest but another team could risk a pick earlier.

Deebo hands down vs. Oregon WR. Dillon has more issues than tracking the ball and that alone is huge for a WR as they rarely get better by leaps and bounds, imo.

If Simmons was still available for our 1st day 3 pick he'd be hard to bypass. He's not a RB and hasn't had any injury history to date so I might be inclined to red-shirt him for a year due to his talent. RB's take a pounding and have limited lifespan in the NFL whereas Simmons might be worthy of the high risk reward.

No way I pass on Josh Jacobs over Henderson,

I wouldn't pass on Tillery over Saunders so I agree with them there. Tillery has huge upside whereas Saunders flashed at Senior Bowl and lower division FCS. Saunders might be a DT to attempt to fill the void of Falcon's Jarrett if they don't re-sign him.

Nauta isn't even close to being a round 2 TE yet alone in the day 2 range anywhere.

Ben Burr-Kirven in the 5th round is a hell yes for me and I don't care how he measures at the combine. He has some of the best instincts as a Will LB'er for this class. He has proven to be high football IQ and can weave and flow through traffic. He'll struggle to beat blocks in the trash but I'd bank on him being able to sift through traffic and become a very good coverage LB'er.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So far my draft is:

LB White LSU
CB Williams Vandy
WR Butler IA ST
RB Love Stan

I think we address edge in FA. I am pretty sure Trey Flowers is coming over. Also TE as well. Jesse James would make a lot of sense and then draft one later on.

as it stands now I would probably draft the following (obviously will change after the spandex Olympics)

#11......DE Montez Sweat (Trade with Den as they draft OL before Buffalo while we're getting this yr 4th rd and 2020 5th)
#43...…..S Chauncey Gardner-Johnson
#88......CB JoeJuan Williams (probably won't be there)
#104.....RB Elijah Holyfield (if he's gone OG Connor McGovern)
#106.....LB Terrill Hanks
#135.....TE Keenen Brown (very under-rated, imo)
#170.....OG Terronne Prescodd (probably doesn't last to this slot)
#190.....RB James Williams (Riddick's replacement, should/could go in 5th rd. comp is to Jame White)
#200.....DL Byron Cowart
#210.....LB Otaro Alaka

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
hypothetically speaking only, Let's say one of Colts (obvious playoff contenders right now), Jets, Raiders offer him 5 years 85M (17 per yr and 60M guaranteed) and Lions only cough up 5 years 75M (15M per yr average and 52M guaranteed) where does he go. He has two SB rings already. Does he follow the $$$$ train.

I dont see why we wouldnt match 85M/5 with 60M for sure. If one of the teams gets outrageous like 100M then no way. I would expect 80M/5 and 55M guaranteed would do it.

Old Lion

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When I posted Bevell's tendencies (they may have changed compared to being at Seattle with their then personnel and what the Lions currently have) the 3rd WR didn't get as many targets as the No.1 TE when he had a quality TE. Therefore, I believe TE is the more logical choice of draft over a WR.

The other alternative fact is maybe MP truly doesn't want Marvin Jones around so it's quite possible they may look at a No.2 WR that could be a BPA of need per say on the 2nd day. If they draft a so-called No.2 on the 2nd day then I'd expect BQ/MP to move Marvin on day 3 for a 4th or 5th round pick this year.

It wouldn't save but roughly 3M this year while having 5+M in dead money but my impression of MJ getting on social media and bitching about being removed from the sidelines before the game started (he was injured and team policy is if you're injured, you're not to be on the sideline during a game) didn't sit well with MP.

In the above situation I could possibly see a can't pass up BPA with need might take place.

I dont think MJ will be going anywhere. As you stated there is no money to be saved and he is the deep threat Bevell needs to keep the offense verticle.

Old Lion

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's coming off an ACL tear in November or late late October I believe it was. That's a risky pick for a 4th rounder, imo. It's now 2 consecutive years being wrought with injuries (ankle and now knee)

He might have lost some of that explosiveness and he wasn't nearly as good early on in 2018 as he was in any part of 2017. 2016 wasn't all that great either for him.

NFL Draft 2019: Bryce Love reveals he tore his ACL in final Stanford game

Injuries will dictate. If JJ is toast and Brate is not doable then maybe Irv Smith in the 3rd. I would have to look for another RB in the 4th or maybe a Guard. It makes too much sense to dump Lang so we will need more depth.

Old Lion

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Packers: 3 options at the 12th overall pick | PackersTalk.com

Montez Sweat – Edge Rusher, Mississippi State
Luckily for the Green Bay Packers, the edge rusher position is quite deep in this draft, so in addition to Polite, they will have other options at the 12th pick.

In recent weeks, Sweat has jumped up many big boards because of his performance at the Senior Bowl. Whether it was during practices or in the game, Sweat dominated just about everyone he went up against.

Since he was a senior this past season, Sweat has been able to string together a couple of fantastic seasons. In 2017 as a junior, Sweat led the SEC in sacks with 10.5 and tackles for loss with 15.5.

This past year, he tallied 47 total quarterback pressures, along with an incredible 21 combined sacks and quarterback hits. Sweat also recorded 53 total tackles, 14.5 tackles for loss, and 12 sacks.

PFF College‏Verified account @PFF_College
Montez Sweat got after the passer this season

DvwmKQuXQAAkQwJ.jpg

8:43 AM - 31 Dec 2018

Sweat uses his 6’6″ length and long arms to his advantage by creating space between himself and the offensive player. His burst at the snap and constant use of his hands are big contributors towards his success.

Where Sweat differs from Polite is that he isn’t as athletic and doesn’t operate as well in open space, but as we’ve seen, when it comes to wreaking havoc in the backfield, Sweat is as good as they come.

In addition to these three players, there are a number of other potential candidates for the Green Bay Packers to take with the 12th overall pick. However, if they end up with either of these three, the draft will be off to a fantastic start.

Add 10 pounds and he is Trey Flowers Jr. Definitely an option

Old Lion

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
as it stands now I would probably draft the following (obviously will change after the spandex Olympics)

#11......DE Montez Sweat (Trade with Den as they draft OL before Buffalo while we're getting this yr 4th rd and 2020 5th)
#43...…..S Chauncey Gardner-Johnson
#88......CB JoeJuan Williams (probably won't be there)
#104.....RB Elijah Holyfield (if he's gone OG Connor McGovern)
#106.....LB Terrill Hanks
#135.....TE Keenen Brown (very under-rated, imo)
#170.....OG Terronne Prescodd (probably doesn't last to this slot)
#190.....RB James Williams (Riddick's replacement, should/could go in 5th rd. comp is to Jame White)
#200.....DL Byron Cowart
#210.....LB Otaro Alaka

Remove Chauncy and move up everyone else. Slide McGov to 4th. I could live with it. We would only need a decent Guard and Safety in FA.

Last edited:

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I dont see why we wouldnt match 85M/5 with 60M for sure.

you pretty much called me crazy when I stated this amount almost a month but I understand how age affects ones mind or memory. lol.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I sure as hell hope it's reining Flowers come March 13th.