• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Lions currently sowed up the 8th overall pick

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If JJ is toas

He's not toast. It's that they traded for Vance MacDonald and he ended up getting more snaps. Maybe it was a Roethlisberger problem, idk. He still had good hands catching this past season, Jesse James.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
maybe Irv Smith in the 3rd.

I'd be absolutely shocked if he made it past our pick so long as BQ doesn't do something stupid like draft TE Hockenson at #8.

I guess never say never.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Irv Smith will never make it past pick #43.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Remove Chauncy and move up everyone else. Slide McGov to 4th. I could live with it. We would only need a decent Guard and Safety in FA.

:nono:

Chauncey was a #2 CB in 2017 and still played some slot and then this past year he was moved mostly to Safety but still had reps as an outside CB. So, that's a no for me. I will take Chauncey over Joe Juan (Don Carey) Williams 10/10 but would still hope that Williams is available in 3rd.

Furthermore, I expect JJ Williams to run somewhere in the 4.48-4.55 range and Chauncey should be sub 4.45 if not sub 4.40. Chauncey should be ready to step in at nickel/slot or deep high two safety, albeit limited snaps from the get go.

JJ Williams will need to be eased in.

Chauncey could start outside before JJ Williams. He's that talented but I still want them both.
cuz I'm greedy like that.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We would only need a decent Guard and Safety in FA.

I'll pass on that. I'm already past tired of schleps like Tavon Wilson and having Diggs at 6M per yr and the rookie relatively cheap I would hate it if BQ signs some piece of shit decent safety again or if he paid mega $$$ or close to that for another safety. This team isn't ready to contend just yet, on paper, so get some youth and let them grow together, imo.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Remove Chauncy and move up everyone else. Slide McGov to 4th. I could live with it. We would only need a decent Guard and Safety in FA.

TBH, I'd have to sincerely re-think any picks starting with 5th round and beyond but not with WSU RB James Williams.

James Williams College Stats | College Football at Sports-Reference.com

202 CFB Rec and no RB at WSU got over 600 yards to my knowledge for the last couple years. Mike Leach keeps them fresh and limited carries for the season on purpose.

2019 NFL Draft: Ranking all 25 RBs to know, from Devin Singletary to Mike Weber

Williams was essentially the James White of the Washington State offensive the past two seasons, and you do not want to see him out in the flat if you're a linebacker or even a defensive back. His lateral mobility is remarkable... and seemingly effortless.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hypothetically speaking, you have KJ and maybe they re-sign ZZ and then someone like Mike Davis for the time being and throughout camp and pre-season depending on if they draft someone better than Davis. If they were to take a RB/WR type like James Williams, who possesses burst and vision but not much in lower leg power then you just got a much younger and cheaper version of Riddick minus the experience at pass-pro which took the latter until season 3 before he became good.

Riddick is good at WR only when he has space and the same goes for his running ability. Riddick doesn't have the burst to hit a hole when it temporarily opens and then closes. Riddick also has poor vision and choppy indecisive footwork.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Previewing the 2019 NFL Combine: Studs, starters & sleepers at Defensive Tackle - nfldraftscout.com

Third Day Sleeper: Dontavius Russell, Auburn

Sleeper doesn’t necessarily mean small school or anonymous players. While overshadowed by splashier talents, Russell proved to be Mr. Reliable at Auburn, starting 49 of a possible 52 games over his career and even opting to compete at the Senior Bowl. He isn't going to wow anyone with his agility as a pass rusher - recording just six sacks over his career - but he's a steady run-stuffing presence whose size and strength will appeal to 4-3 and 3-4 disciples, alike and I love his effort in lateral and downfield pursuit. Pro-ready out of the box, Russell should be able to mix into the rotation as a rookie. Better yet, given all of the talent on the defensive line in this draft, his blue collar (rather than blue chip) game likely will have him still on the board well into Day Three, making Russell a potentially terrific value.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
^^^^

Russell could be a potential prospect in either of 6th or 7th round. There's nothing spectacular to his but I agree with Rang here.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Previewing the 2019 NFL Combine: Studs, starters & sleepers at Defensive Tackle - nfldraftscout.com

Second Day (Future) Starter: Trysten Hill, Central Florida

Boasting a combination of leverage and explosiveness that reminds me of a young Jurrell Casey at Southern California, Hill has been grossly underrated in some scouting circles but don’t expect that to last much longer. Hill's untraditional build and fall from grace at UCF contributed to his largely being overshadowed in this year's spectacular defensive line class but his talent is obvious once you watch the tape. Explosiveness like Hill's won't go unnoticed by scouts, however, with a Day Two pick possible (and perhaps likely) if he can convince teams that he possesses the maturity to take full advantage of his talent.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
^^^^

I will have to look into Hill. I saw nothing from that extremely short video clip other than the OL was clearly holding. There wasn't much burst, explosiveness, leverage or power. If you're going to post a clip put something better out there that will wow you, imo.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Of course, if size is what NFL clubs are looking for, this position group has loads of options, including massive Clemson run-stuffer Dexter Lawrence and Notre Dame’s Jerry Tillery, whose height and wingspan might just make him the most imposing player in the 2019 NFL draft. Teams needing a run-stuffing force could find bargains on Day Three with Florida State’s Demarcus Christmas, Washington’s Greg Gaines or Texas A&M’s Daylon Mack.

Perhaps the most fun element of this year’s defensive tackle class is the number of legitimate sleeper candidates. Teams willing to roll the dice on gifted prospects who perhaps need a little fine-tuning could be handsomely rewarded with a gamble on UCF’s Trysten Hill, Western Illinois’ Khalen Saunders or even former top recruit Byron Cowart, who to the dismay of some Auburn fans, resurrected his career at Maryland and likely will hear his name called in the NFL draft.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
https://thedraftnetwork.com/2019/02/16/this-week-in-scouting-some-day-2-surprise-grades/

Texas A&M TE Jace Sternberger – Early 2nd Round Grade
Woah, nelly. Sternberger transferred out of Kansas when he couldn’t get on the field with any regularity, so the expectation here was that he would be pretty rough around the edges. Not so fast.

Sternberger is a wonderful receiving prospect and the fact that Kansas couldn’t get him on the field is a black-eye for the Jayhawks, not Jace. I love Sternberger’s contested catch ability, his burst and explosiveness after the catch and also how smooth he is in space.

Sternberger, in a pure receiving role, could be an impact player in year one.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
^^^^

Sternberger offers little in blocking in-line whether it's run or pass but the few games I've watched of aTm he was pretty decent as a downfield blocker in run/pass. He can have concentration issues that'll plague him also with drops at the most inconvenient time. He did show great sideline ability with awareness and hands.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This Week In Scouting: Some Day 2 Surprise Grades - The Draft Network

Clemson CB Trayvon Mullen – 2nd Round Grade

I was plenty familiar with Mullen after seeing the Tigers live twice this season: once in Boston vs. Boston College and again a few weeks later in Charlotte to see them take on Pitt in the ACC Championship Game.

And I knew Mullen had his share of ups and down. I knew he wasn’t overly special or dynamic in space. But put him inside of the contact window and let him re-route receivers at the line of scrimmage? We’re cooking with fire!

I’m grading Mullen on a curve: I have to account for scheme specificity in every player that I watch…so while I’m not giving Mullen a first round grade (I don’t want him in a lot of off coverage), I think he can start early on for the right team and wouldn’t blame someone for taking him in the first round.

Context is king!

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
^^^^

I really like Mullen and the possibility that could exist for him but in a majority off-ball zone coverage system. I don't see the fit for the Lions but he has had decent showings in press coverage but not enough to trigger for a 2nd round selection, imo.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
https://thedraftnetwork.com/2019/02/16/pre-combine-risers-i-just-dont-get/

Players on teams that didn’t demand a ton of in-season attention, that were always on the watchlist and eyeballed obliquely during the season. Some of them make a ton of sense to me, and I’m glad to see them come to fruition: Utah State’s Dax Raymond, Texas Tech’s Antoine Wesley, Maryland’s Darnell Savage, and even the Florida kids: nobody was really watching the Gators for top prospects this season (save for maybe Trevor), and that’s why we’re only now hearing about Jawaan Taylor and Chauncey Gardner-Johnson as potential Round 1 studs.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pre-Combine Risers I Just Don't Get - The Draft Network

But you have to pick up the other end of the stick: unheralded players who, despite being draftable, don’t deserve the same pre-Combine juice as other late discoveries. Sure, they might even be better than you thought given their in-season hype, but that doesn’t mean they’re more than Day 3 pieces, with intriguing traits or tape to some degree.

But it’s important to remember that uncovering those players as better than expectation does not mean they have to catapult in the top of your rankings. It’s important to calibrate, and remember sometimes Day 3 guys are just that: Day 3 guys.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
https://thedraftnetwork.com/2019/02/16/pre-combine-risers-i-just-dont-get/

Utah State RB Darwin Thompson
If you’ve followed my Draft stuff in years previous, you know that I once got burned by an undersized, shifty Mountain West runner. He held career rushing records and a chip on his little shoulder. And while I would still — as doggedly as ever! — argue that Donnel Pumphrey’s NFL career could have been more if not for hamstring injuries that have kept him off the field, I am a bit more wary of the undersized back.

Now, Thompson is much more physically developed than Pumphrey was, coming out. Thompson is truly yoked, and has been testing well in training despite the fact that he was an egregious Combine snub earlier this month.

That added thickness will be big for Thompson, as he’ll look to bring his explosive play profile to the NFL. But when I watch Thompson, I don’t see a player with the ideal blend of vision, straight-line explosiveness, and elusive traits to get vertical and house the big plays. Thompson has great balance and contact balance for a back his size — likely a product of his stacked frame — but an NFL team will look to use him in a scatback role, and I don’t think his best traits fit that deployment.

Thompson is still a rosterable player, who must prove more on special teams than he did in his season with the Aggies — but in a RB class full of role players, he stands a head shorter than the rest.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pre-Combine Risers I Just Don't Get - The Draft Network

TCU EDGE LJ Collier
The lesser known of the two TCU EDGEs coming into the season, TCU’s quiet season kept Collier generally under the radar through the college football season. The Senior Bowl did their job though: they brought Collier into the game, and he benefited from a week of one-on-one rush opportunities that he didn’t often see with the Horned Frogs.

So Collier quickly got the “head back to the film, see what’s what” designation after his Mobile week. And there is, again, some exciting stuff there! Collier has decent movement skills for his size, and even though he’s a tweener who will need to redefine his role in the NFL, you want to work with that blend of length, power, and lateral quickness.

Quick off the ball and active with his hands as a run defender, Collier’s upright build hurts him when he tries to anchor in a gap; but as a one-gap penetrating type in a different style of defense, he has the potential to cause better disruption.

However, as a pass-rusher, Collier floundered against top competition. The Oklahoma offensive line bullied Collier in the running and passing game for four quarters, and Collier’s lack of a pass-rush plan and desirable EDGE rush traits was exposed. (No. 91 on the right side)