• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Lions currently sowed up the 8th overall pick

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
^^^^

I've seen a couple of Lions reporting websites that have mad a mention of both Thompson and Collier and I'd take a pass on both of them as well.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
10 Draft Picks Your Team Might Regret In 2019 NFL Draft - The Draft Network

Jachai Polite, EDGE, Florida
I watch Florida pretty closely, so I have a soft spot in my heart for Jachai. But I am not ignorant to the fact that there is a lot of boom/bust potential in him. At his peak, Polite had some of the best pass rushing tape in the country from 2018. He also showed he could be stout as a run defender, when he wanted to.

That brings us to the potential bust part: the want to. There are clips from Polite’s 2017 tape that show him hustling ball carries down 40 yards down the field. People watch that and think Polite’s motor is unquestionably high. But then there are instances in 2018 where he shied away from being physical or gave up on plays before he had to. This opens things up to some questions.

Which Polite is an NFL team getting? At peak effort, he’s a stud. Will he always be a peak effort? After all, the team that selects him will likely have to burn a first round pick on him.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Deionte Thompson, S, Alabama
When the best version of Deionte Thompson has been present, we’ve seen as true difference maker at safety. We saw a player who had all the range you would want from a free safety, a guy who would come up and lay his body on the line for hits on bigger ball carriers, and a motor that was always going at 100 miles per hour.

But late in the season, especially against Alabama’s best competition all year, Thompson not only shrunk but was a liability. He was frozen and fooled in coverage, and he just did not look like the same player we saw before. yep, I agree. He should've gone back to school for another year, imo.

With limited starts under his belt, selecting Thompson comes with a risk of wondering which tape was the real Thompson.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
https://thedraftnetwork.com/2019/02/16/10-draft-picks-your-team-might-regret-in-2019-nfl-draft/

Rashan Gary, EDGE, Michigan
Gary has been a unanimous Top 5 pick for almost a year now by big media guys in the NFL, and honestly I’ve never seen eye-to-eye with them on that. Gary has rare explosive traits for an edge player of his size, but the bend and the flexibility are not there on a consistent level. I think he does his best work when he can shoot gaps and be aggressive to offensive linemen to their face, and that’s not an edge player, that’s an interior player.

The risk here is really in where you draft him. If you’re drafting Gary anywhere from Pick No. 15 on in the first round, that’s fine, but taking a guy with physical limitations and tweener traits in the Top 10 is way more risky than some people seem to be leading you to believe with Gary.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
^^^^

He's big, not all that strong, athletic, not all that much bend, not all that explosive except a sprinkle here and there and didn't come close to becoming what he should have.

I wouldn't doubt that if Gary is there at #8, BQ/MP would draft this kid.

There's lots of potential that might be unleashed but what I see is a slightly more athletic Robert Nkemdiche. Maybe I'm wrong.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Johnathan Abram, S, Mississippi State
Speaking of highlight reel players, Abram has made a draft narrative out of big hits and high-flying speed. He is a physical player who doesn’t shy away from contact in any way. But though the hits are big-time, there are times where his desire to put someone on their back comes at the price of a blown assignment or being overly aggressive.

What you love about Abram is always what needs work, and anytime that’s the case things get tricky. You love how fast he plays and how he will make big impact plays physically, but at the same time you need him to tone it done and be more discipline with how he stops the ball and makes the right play more than say the “biggest”.

Abram is getting first round hype right now, and that could definitely come with some regret/reward.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
^^^^

He's not good in coverage. He misses far too many tackles and resembles a poor mans Louis Delmas, imo. nuff said.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
https://thedraftnetwork.com/2019/02/16/10-draft-picks-your-team-might-regret-in-2019-nfl-draft/

Lonnie Johnson, CB, Kentucky
I’m sorry, what did you say Johnson’s measurements were? 6-foot-3, 205 pounds? Yeah, now I know why people want to give Johnson every benefit of the doubt they can.

The NFL will always give bigger cornerbacks every chance they can to prove themselves or better their game before they give up on them. That’s just the facts. Part of that knowledge also goes into over drafting players who have that style and story.

The reason why you draft bigger cornerbacks is because you hope they can match up against bigger wide receivers on the outside in man coverage. But Johnson isn’ really a man coverage guy. He’s sloppy in press and struggles to keep wide receivers from separating from him. He’s boom/bust in the fact that, if you draft him early thinking he can be really good in man coverage right away, you might be in trouble.

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Previewing the 2019 NFL Combine: Studs, starters & sleepers at Defensive Tackle - nfldraftscout.com

Of course, if size is what NFL clubs are looking for, this position group has loads of options, including massive Clemson run-stuffer Dexter Lawrence and Notre Dame’s Jerry Tillery, whose height and wingspan might just make him the most imposing player in the 2019 NFL draft. Teams needing a run-stuffing force could find bargains on Day Three with Florida State’s Demarcus Christmas, Washington’s Greg Gaines or Texas A&M’s Daylon Mack.

Perhaps the most fun element of this year’s defensive tackle class is the number of legitimate sleeper candidates. Teams willing to roll the dice on gifted prospects who perhaps need a little fine-tuning could be handsomely rewarded with a gamble on UCF’s Trysten Hill, Western Illinois’ Khalen Saunders or even former top recruit Byron Cowart, who to the dismay of some Auburn fans, resurrected his career at Maryland and likely will hear his name called in the NFL draft.

I think that is probably the most likely scenario now that A'Shawn has reemerged. Drafting Hand and trading for Snacks gives us a decent core.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
^^^^

Lonnie Johnson and his teammate, Derrick Baity, should both be considered as probable converts to Safety (coverage because neither is great or even slightly above good in run support, imo. Baity is the better of the two but has a little more hinge in his flip of hips)

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Jerry Tillery, iDL, Notre Dame
If you pick the right games to watch, you’ll wonder why Tillery isn’t considered a sure-fire first round pick. But if you watch some of his other games, you’ll see a guy who fails to make an impact far too often.

Some people would just say that that means you take him in the middle rounds to find that middle ground, but that’s not exactly how it works. You could still take him in the middle rounds and him still not learn how to show up — or vice versa with success. All I’m saying is that don’t just watch the Stanford and Navy games and assume you’ve got a steal. There’s risk there.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
^^^^

They stated the same thing regarding Stephen Tuitt. It doesn't mean Tillery and lack of motor or immaturity improves once he gets to the NFL the it did for Tuitt.

When Tillery is engaged in the game he can absolutely be a game changer.

I made a comment the other day that I'd take Tillery over Western Illinois DT Khalen Saunders when comparing Tillery as a round 2 pick versus Saunders as a round 3/4 pick and the one area where Saunders outplays Tillery is his non-stop motor. Tillery is more advanced with his hands and technique but Saunders brings the better burst and explosiveness but he can Saunders do it at the NFL level ?

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Anthony Nelson, EDGE, Iowa
If you read my 5-Play Prospect column on Nelson, you know I’m not the biggest fan. His size at 6-foot-7, 270 pounds certainly jumps off the page and jumps off the screen when you watch his tape, but when I watched him that’s about the only thing that jumped out at me.

Nelson was not flexible around the edge and he was not that strong in run support. He is big and when he gets his hands on you he can disengage and do some damage, but picking him anywhere in the middle rounds of 3-4 makes me think you’re drafting a player who is pretty replaceable year-to-year.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't draft Nelson even with our last 7th round pick for all that was stated above and a lot more could be said but I digress.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think that is probably the most likely scenario now that A'Shawn has reemerged. Drafting Hand and trading for Snacks gives us a decent core.

BQ should still re-sign RJF for a rotational piece on a short term, team friendly, contract so he's not going into the draft having to select a DT (preferably a 3-tech/4i-tech, the latter being stated by @Stomp, the 4i-tech)

If a 3/4i-tech falls to their draft slot that is too good of a BPA/value of position need then great.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rotoworld fantasy sports news and analysis for NFL, MLB, NBA, NHL, CFB, Golf, EPL and NASCAR

The Draft Network's Jon Ledyard believes "special teams is probably" Notre Dame senior LB Te'Von Coney "best chance at a career in the NFL."
This is a strong stance on a player widely seen as a solid Day 2 pick. Ledyard explains, "Even if Coney begins to trust his instincts and play a bit faster, his athletic limitations are significant enough to be concerned about his transition to a full-time role in the NFL." Ledyard recognizes Coney's football intellect and strong tackling ability but "he’s constantly second-guessing himself which leads to a lot of missed opportunities to shoot gaps or beat blockers to spots." Strong athletic testing could help alleviate some of the concern about Coney but he looks like a risky mid-round selection for the time being.

Source: The Draft Network
Feb 17, 2019, 12:15 PM

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rotoworld fantasy sports news and analysis for NFL, MLB, NBA, NHL, CFB, Golf, EPL and NASCAR

Per Pro Football Focus, Ohio State WR Parris Campbell led the Big 10 in yards per route run.
Campbell (6'1/208) averaged 3.47 yards per route run, besting Minnesota WR Tyler Johnson, Ohio State's K.J Hill, Nebraska's JD Spielman, and Purdue's Rondale Moore. Campbell's draft stock is all over the place with Bleacher Report's Matt Miller projecting him to be selected in the early second round while The Draft Network's Trevor Sikkema mocked him in Round 6. The upcoming NFL Scouting Combine should give us more clarity on where the speedster will be selected in the NFL Draft.

Source: Pro Football Focus on Twitter
Feb 17, 2019, 1:04 PM

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Paris Campbell has suspect hands and route running but he does possess a decent burst off the L.O.S.

I question his ability to beat press coverage though. Most teams played off-coverage in CFB fearing his burst and deep seam route and cross/scissor route running capabilities.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

NFL Draft Scout's Ric Serritella believes Maryland RB Ty Johnson is "one of the fastest players in this year's draft."
Johnson (5'9/205) is undersized but has the jets to break off long gains on the ground. He averaged 7.7 yards per carry on his 66 carries in 2018 (506 yards) and posted over 1,100 yards as a kick returner. Johnson will run at Maryland's March 27th Pro Day and have a chance to show off his speed. Draft Analyst's Tony Pauline pegged Johnson with a 4th-round grade for the upcoming NFL Draft.

Source: Ric Serritella on Twitter
Feb 17, 2019, 11:18 AM

Ty Johnson College Stats | College Football at Sports-Reference.com

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

ESPN's Mel Kiper Jr. calls Oklahoma OL Cody Ford an offensive guard and believes he's in the top 25-40 range.
Ford (6'4/338) is viewed as an offensive tackle by others and he's generated some minor top-10 buzz in the early goings of #DraftSZN, so this is a bold take by Kiper. The Athletic's Dane Brugler recently polled 12 NFL-types about the 2019 OT class and Ford received the most votes when asked who they believed would end up as the first tackle taken. Kiper's opinion is a reminder that NFL teams will be split on some of these offensive linemen, and it will take a team believing in Ford as an offensive tackle if he were to go inside the first 10 picks.

Source: ESPN.com
Feb 15, 2019, 8:40 PM