• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Lions 2021 off-season FA. Something for nothing or nothing at all ?

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lions should have interest DT Maurice Hurst after release by Raiders (usatoday.com)

In a surprising move, the Las Vegas Raiders released former starting defensive tackle Maurice Hurst this week. Hurst’s unexpected availability should definitely be something the Detroit Lions are interested in, too.

Hurst was the Raiders’ fifth-round pick in the 2018 NFL Draft out of Michigan. He was widely considered a top-50 prospect but fell due to concerns over a heart condition. And since joining the Raiders, Hurst played like a top-50 prospect from that draft.

He led all Raiders defensive players in PFF grading in 2020, earning a 77.9 overall score in 11 games. Hurst was also their top-graded defender in 2019 amongst those with at least 100 snaps.

Take it from someone who covers Hurst and the Raiders on a daily basis, Raiders Wire editor Marcus Mosher,

I would love it if the Lions could get him. He is one to throw money at. No comp pick issues and he fills a massive need.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This doesn't pertain to the Lions but D.H. is insane

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
forgot about this and the waiver procedures

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would love it if the Lions could get him. He is one to throw money at. No comp pick issues and he fills a massive need.
This would be perfect and would save us a draft pick. He is still very young. Open the wallet.

Sheldon Richardson is also a FA now but I think Mo is a better fit.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
3 free agents the Lions could sign before the draft (usatoday.com)

Dede Westbrook............... oft-injured but would be a decent slot WR if they don't draft one or Cephus gets sent to PS

Darqueze Dennard........... Missed 15 games the last two seasons but when healthy could be that experienced 4th CB versus Mile Ford being 4th

Jurell Casey......................... Tore his biceps last year. Broncos traded for him. Not really interested in Casey all that much.

Dennard would be worth a look, imo, IF He Is Healthy

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Even though the Detroit Lions players will not be working out at the team facility next week for the scheduled voluntary offseason activities, many players are still getting after it. The latest are cornerback Jeff Okudah and wide receiver Breshad Perriman.

The duo joined a cadre of Lions working out with new QB Jared Goff. Detroit’s new starting quarterback was throwing with TE T.J. Hockenson, WR Tyrell Williams and WR Quintez Cephus during the week, hoping to get more familiar with his new targets

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
good to see all above get some training and timing

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
agree on all their points that Oruwariye needs to improve upon. Scheme and having Glenn/Pleasant "should be biggest help" towards improvement.

4 Keys Detroit Lions Amani Oruwariye Successful 2021 NFL Season - Sports Illustrated Detroit Lions News, Analysis and More

4.) Oruwariye needs to find a good mentor in the locker room.

BB_72: possibly the biggest need right above and same goes for Okudah. This is where having Dennard and Dunbar both could help so long as they're on same page. When either Oruwariye or Okudah make a mistake, on-field, having one of or both Dunbar/Dennard point out what they saw that went wrong and what changes in mechanics/technique need to be made could be highly beneficial.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@Old Lion here's why I stated Tracy Walker shouldn't be playing box safety - not a dig at you just that Walker isn't comfortable there. Walker didn't struggle in man-coverage during the 2019 season.

If the Lions are looking to replicate the Saints secondary, they will need safeties capable of playing in Single-high (Cover-1), deep free (Cover-2), man-coverage in the slot, and in the box.

Tracy Walker is capable of playing the box but has said he feels more comfortable away from the line of scrimmage at single-high and free. Unfortunately, he struggled in man-coverage last season, which could be an issue moving forward. Will Harris has flashed playing in the box but struggled in man and deep coverage. Dean Marlowe has shown the ability to play free and in the box, but like the rest of the group, lacks the necessary man coverage skills.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2021 NFL mock draft: Detroit Lions select S Jamar Johnson in Round 3 - Pride Of Detroit

Enter Jamar Johnson.

One of Lions’ general manager Brad Holmes’ favorite players he identified and pushed for the L.A. Rams to draft was John Johnson, who just signed a big deal with the Cleveland Browns. The first-team All-Big Ten safety from Indiana in this year’s draft is basically his clone.

Jamar Johnson is capable of lining up at single-high, deep free, man coverage in the slot, and is very comfortable in split-zone:

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Johnson’s range and instincts allow him to make plays on the ball, regardless of where he lines up on defense. Last season, he had four interceptions in the eight games Indiana played.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The problem with Jamar Johnson is all those damn missed tackles and it's a high % 26.5

2021 NFL Draft safety rankings | NFL Draft | PFF

3. JAMAR JOHNSON, INDIANA

PFF BIG BOARD RANK: 47​

Johnson’s high-end coverage plays are special. You won’t find a safety with better ball production per snap in the class. On 406 career coverage snaps, Johnson’s picked off seven passes and broken up six others. Just don’t ask him to play in the box — he’s a liability as a tackler and missed 13 of his 49 attempts last year.

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@Old Lion here's why I stated Tracy Walker shouldn't be playing box safety - not a dig at you just that Walker isn't comfortable there. Walker didn't struggle in man-coverage during the 2019 season.

If the Lions are looking to replicate the Saints secondary, they will need safeties capable of playing in Single-high (Cover-1), deep free (Cover-2), man-coverage in the slot, and in the box.

Tracy Walker is capable of playing the box but has said he feels more comfortable away from the line of scrimmage at single-high and free. Unfortunately, he struggled in man-coverage last season, which could be an issue moving forward. Will Harris has flashed playing in the box but struggled in man and deep coverage. Dean Marlowe has shown the ability to play free and in the box, but like the rest of the group, lacks the necessary man coverage skills.

I dont disagree with any of this. Adding Marlowe and Dunbar help a lot with this secondary. I wish we had kept Larson. He was an enforcer out there and played pretty well before getting hurt.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wish we had kept Larson.

Man I'm having brain fog with trying to recall who the heck is Larson.

If you dare meant to say Nevin Lawson then take yourself to the corner for 15 minutes.

Kearse, the Safety, is a possibility of who you are referring to ?

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I dont disagree with any of this. Adding Marlowe and Dunbar help a lot with this secondary. I wish we had kept Larson. He was an enforcer out there and played pretty well before getting hurt.

I really like what Walker was showing as far as progress in 2019 but, he has to prove he can play high, low, box, slot Safety in this scheme or he'll probably be on the chopping block next year is my best guess.