• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Lions 2021 off-season FA. Something for nothing or nothing at all ?

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
^^^^^

This is another solid investment by the Lions, taking a chance on a previously highly successful player with a low downside, assuming the deal also follows the patterns of the previous deals this offseason.

The Lions still need more bodies in their secondary, but with Okudah, Oruwariye, Dunbar, Ford, and recently signed Corn Elder, they are slowly building a unit with potential.
He would count against the comp picks, so I hope this was a minimum contract prove it deal.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He would count against the comp picks, so I hope this was a minimum contract prove it deal.

one year deal so, this signing won't count against comp picks we're expecting to receive from Golladay, M. Jones and J. Agnew.

At max, I could "possibly see 3M" and would be disappointed in that but , like you, I hope a simple vet minimum.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Quinton Dunbar: What the Lions are getting in their new CB (usatoday.com)

For a guy who didn’t play defense in college, Dunbar’s tackling is impressive. He’s physical, aggressive and strong, with surprisingly sound technique and fundamentals for a defensive naif. He’s patient and takes consistently smart angles in attacking screens and coming off his man to make tackles in the open field.

The ball skills are what you’d expect for a converted wideout. Dunbar can go get the ball. He has 10 career INTs and 40 passes defended in 64 career games, starting 31. Dunbar uses his length and excellent timing of a closing burst to make plays on the ball that many corners can’t. He will rely on it too much at times and get beat by pinpoint throws, but Dunbar is not alone in that.

At 6-2 and over 200 pounds, he’s built to handle bigger receivers. He will use his size to fight through receivers and punish those that aren’t aggressive at extending to catch the throw.

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Quinton Dunbar: What the Lions are getting in their new CB (usatoday.com)

For a guy who didn’t play defense in college, Dunbar’s tackling is impressive. He’s physical, aggressive and strong, with surprisingly sound technique and fundamentals for a defensive naif. He’s patient and takes consistently smart angles in attacking screens and coming off his man to make tackles in the open field.

The ball skills are what you’d expect for a converted wideout. Dunbar can go get the ball. He has 10 career INTs and 40 passes defended in 64 career games, starting 31. Dunbar uses his length and excellent timing of a closing burst to make plays on the ball that many corners can’t. He will rely on it too much at times and get beat by pinpoint throws, but Dunbar is not alone in that.

At 6-2 and over 200 pounds, he’s built to handle bigger receivers. He will use his size to fight through receivers and punish those that aren’t aggressive at extending to catch the throw.
Nice piece of the puzzle. Still need a slot CB/S. Hopefully we get one in the draft at least.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nice piece of the puzzle. Still need a slot CB/S. Hopefully we get one in the draft at least.

If he's healthy his play can be beneficial on the field. He could be that on-field mentor during game time also.

I wouldn't discount Washington CB Elijah Molden out of the picture for draft due to that poor 40. He had a leg issue after his Vert/BJ. He still should be considered as well as Michigan's CB Ambry Thomas. Both should be available on day 3.

The poor forty for Molden pushes him down because some were projecting 2nd round, Outside of a playoff caliber team needing a nickel CB, I highly doubt he was in line for 2nd round.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ho-hum

Detroit Lions host free agent safety Dean Marlowe for visit - Pride Of Detroit

In Detroit, Marlowe could potentially compete with Will Harris for playing time alongside Tracy Walker. He brings a good amount of special teams experience, and he’s better suited to play multiple roles the box. Here’s Marlowe explaining his own strengths back before the 2020 season:

“I can play the nickel role; I can play the big nickel linebacker role too. I can play both positions at safety. I’m very valuable when it comes to the versatility in our secondary,” Marlowe said per Syracuse.com.

Indeed, he flashed his versatility last season, playing 54 snaps in the box, 56 at nickel corner, and 96 at free safety.

Marlowe isn’t the only free agent safety the Lions are looking at. Earlier this week, they hosted former Broncos defensive back Will Parks.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Photo of Dean Marlowe

Dean Marlowe​

Dean Marlowe
Position
: S
6-1, 208lb (185cm, 94kg)
Born: July 25, 1992 (Age: 28-256d) in Queens, NY
College: James Madison

Capture marlowe.PNG

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NFL free agency: Detroit Lions sign safety Dean Marlowe - Pride Of Detroit

Bills head coach Sean McDermott was a big reason for Marlowe’s growth in the league. He was defensive coordinator for the Panthers when Marlowe was there, and he had a big part in bringing Marlow to Buffalo.

“He’s seen the journey of life in the NFL where his career started off in his first year and (he) had success and was expecting in the next year or two to take the job in Carolina,” McDermott said back in 2018. “He never quite got to that, maybe in part due to some injuries. Now, he’s basically reinvented himself (as) another guy, basically, since coming to Buffalo.”

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still believe they draft a Safety even though they signed two in FA

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like to see this for players who outperform contract

Amani Oruwariye tops Detroit Lions in performance based pay (freep.com)

A fifth-round pick out of Penn State in 2019 who started 15 games last season, Oruwariye will receive an extra $572,067 for his play in

Performance-based payouts, which are designed to reward players who outperform their contracts, are deferred until 2024 because of the NFL's reduced revenue amid the COVID-19 pandemic and are made on top of players' base salaries.

Each NFL team had a performance-based pay pool of $8.5 million for 2020.

Oruwariye, who played nearly 90% of the Lions' defensive snaps last season, is one of eight Lions who qualified for a payment of more than $250,000.

Rookie guard Jonah Jackson ($487,322), safety Tracy Walker ($409,218), tackle Tyrell Crosby ($372,772), guard Oday Aboushi ($345,325), rookie nose tackle John Penisini ($316,832), linebacker Reggie Ragland ($291,930) and safety Will Harris ($254,174) join Oruwariye atop the list.

All but Aboushi and Ragland were on their rookie contracts and made less than $1 million last season.

In all, 74 Lions qualified for performance-based pay. Matthew Stafford, because of the size of his contract, earned a comparatively small payout of $27,068. Marcus Martin, who appeared in one game and played five special teams snaps, qualified for the smallest check by a Lion: $2,839.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
this quote from Dan Campbell in January:

What I do think is, let’s build this team first. Let’s build the nucleus and the foundation of this team first and get some roots in the ground. And once you get the roots in the ground and let it grow a little bit, we’ll find the right guy at the helm.

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like to see this for players who outperform contract

Amani Oruwariye tops Detroit Lions in performance based pay (freep.com)

A fifth-round pick out of Penn State in 2019 who started 15 games last season, Oruwariye will receive an extra $572,067 for his play in

Performance-based payouts, which are designed to reward players who outperform their contracts, are deferred until 2024 because of the NFL's reduced revenue amid the COVID-19 pandemic and are made on top of players' base salaries.

Each NFL team had a performance-based pay pool of $8.5 million for 2020.

Oruwariye, who played nearly 90% of the Lions' defensive snaps last season, is one of eight Lions who qualified for a payment of more than $250,000.

Rookie guard Jonah Jackson ($487,322), safety Tracy Walker ($409,218), tackle Tyrell Crosby ($372,772), guard Oday Aboushi ($345,325), rookie nose tackle John Penisini ($316,832), linebacker Reggie Ragland ($291,930) and safety Will Harris ($254,174) join Oruwariye atop the list.

All but Aboushi and Ragland were on their rookie contracts and made less than $1 million last season.

In all, 74 Lions qualified for performance-based pay. Matthew Stafford, because of the size of his contract, earned a comparatively small payout of $27,068. Marcus Martin, who appeared in one game and played five special teams snaps, qualified for the smallest check by a Lion: $2,839.
They gave Oruwariye 10 dollars for each missed tackle.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They gave Oruwariye 10 dollars for each missed tackle.

you ain't a lyin'

Players like him and others who have that propensity for missed tackles in CFB rarely become significantly better at the NFL level. They may shine for a year here and there but that trait rarely disappears completely or to a diminished level for very long.

J. Davis, Tavai and W. Harris all had that trait coming into the league.