• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Let the fun begin, CA Gov signs college athlete likeness pay bill

AlaskaGuy

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,312.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Richard Sherman hopes new California law destroys the NCAA

gettyimages-1176718535-e1569936571838.jpg

JuiceTheGator

Purveyor of Justice
Hoopla Cash
$ 903.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Could be but why hasn’t any other league been profitable. The USFL was for a second but they were paying money to star college guys. How is it profitable to be paying 18 year olds when the bust rate is higher than any other sport.

I’m totally cool with this bill but first California has to argue Title IX is unconstitutional and that argument I cannot wait for.

Yeah...I dunno. The USFL was trying to compete with the NFL for everything. An NFL farm team would just be their 4th string and recent new hires that didn't make the draft or got released. So, I'm sure the overhead would be a lot less than the USFL but would serve the same purpose.

Somebody who knows the industry has probably already done a full analysis on how it might work. I know a farm league was tried back in 1970 - around the time of the big NFL merger.

Peeps are still kicking it around. I'm not sure white people are allowed to attend this though: https://www.mflishere.com/

michaeljordan_fan

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Title IX says otherwise. Any single advantage a male in a revenue sport makes has to be given to a female athlete in a non revenue sport. This is why the coaches making boat loads of money is irrelevant.

The advantage of a male being able to sign a contract with a private business is also available for a female athlete.

Please cite which section of Title IX prohibits an athlete signing a contract with a private company.

Further eroding your argument is the fact that Olympic athletes are already able to sell their likeness. According to your (dumb) argument, this is illegal.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah...I dunno. The USFL was trying to compete with the NFL for everything. An NFL farm team would just be their 4th string and recent new hires that didn't make the draft or got released. So, I'm sure the overhead would be a lot less than the USFL but would serve the same purpose.

Somebody who knows the industry has probably already done a full analysis on how it might work. I know a farm league was tried back in 1970 - around the time of the big NFL merger.

Peeps are still kicking it around. I'm not sure white people are allowed to attend this though: https://www.mflishere.com/

I guess doing in Africa where they don’t have the regulations we do here could work. No minimum wage, no L&I, no unions. I just think students athletes don’t realize they are making more money in free shit at a university than they would on an open market for a minor league team. Sweet you are a 5 star recruit but get fired after your first season because you didn’t translate to professional football and it leaves you where?

JuiceTheGator

Purveyor of Justice
Hoopla Cash
$ 903.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jack Brewer was just on with Charles on FoxBiz. He's been advocating for player pay for over a decade, but was very cautious in his remarks.
Then, Charles mentions the kids will mostly squander all the money anyway...even more than NFL players do. The avg. NFL player is broke within 5 years of retirement. Jack had to agree...and mentioned you have to take a shit degree when playing because there's no time to study.

It's complicated.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The advantage of a male being able to sign a contract with a private business is also available for a female athlete.

Please cite which section of Title IX prohibits an athlete signing a contract with a private company.

Further eroding your argument is the fact that Olympic athletes are already able to sell their likeness. According to your (dumb) argument, this is illegal.

I get it, you are a Duck so you don’t have any brains but it’s all good little buddy. I get you want other people to look stuff up because you are a moron but go look at the argument that Jeremy Bloom kicked off to allow endorsements. I’ll give you 5 minutes then you can come back with your tail between your legs to make a semi decent rebuttal. I’ll wait.

michaeljordan_fan

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I get it, you are a Duck so you don’t have any brains but it’s all good little buddy. I get you want other people to look stuff up because you are a moron but go look at the argument that Jeremy Bloom kicked off to allow endorsements. I’ll give you 5 minutes then you can come back with your tail between your legs to make a semi decent rebuttal. I’ll wait.

Olympic athletes are already allowed to earn money off their name.

How is that different?

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jack Brewer was just on with Charles on FoxBiz. He's been advocating for player pay for over a decade, but was very cautious in his remarks.
Then, Charles mentions the kids will mostly squander all the money anyway...even more than NFL players do. The avg. NFL player is broke within 5 years of retirement. Jack had to agree...and mentioned you have to take a shit degree when playing because there's no time to study.

It's complicated.

His argument is fair except athletes are given the ability to have better tutors than afforded 99% of other students. It isn’t the school or NCAA’s problem that a player can memorize the playbook but can’t memorize the answers the tutor is giving them.

JuiceTheGator

Purveyor of Justice
Hoopla Cash
$ 903.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
His argument is fair except athletes are given the ability to have better tutors than afforded 99% of other students. It isn’t the school or NCAA’s problem that a player can memorize the playbook but can’t memorize the answers the tutor is giving them.

Yeah, most are imbeciles who would flunk no matter what.

Early in SportsHoopla's existence, I started a troll thread saying I'd trade all our future football success if UF became a top 3 public university academically. People got irate. lol I guess the diploma means more to some than others who don't mind insults to the academic institution.

It's just so weird to have illiterate players at a college where everyone is studying their ass off just to get through. All I know is it's a tenuous balance right now and CA is going to fuck it all up.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Olympic athletes are already allowed to earn money off their name.

How is that different?

Bloom’s primary argument was they needed it because the school isn’t responsible for his expenses when he was doing trials or anything that he is doing that isn’t school related. The NBA and NFL pay for football and basketball players to come to their combine. The USOC does not give money to them in preparation for trials. It is a legal argument kids can make after they declare for a draft but I highly doubt any court would equate a student athlete trying to make an Olympic squad is remotely close to a football or basketball player.

michaeljordan_fan

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bloom’s primary argument was they needed it because the school isn’t responsible for his expenses when he was doing trials or anything that he is doing that isn’t school related. The NBA and NFL pay for football and basketball players to come to their combine. The USOC does not give money to them in preparation for trials. It is a legal argument kids can make after they declare for a draft but I highly doubt any court would equate a student athlete trying to make an Olympic squad is remotely close to a football or basketball player.

None of what you posted had anything to do with why Title IX doesn't apply. According to your flimsy argument, every athlete regardless of sport has to be paid the same by outside companies...obviously that isn't true.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, most are imbeciles who would flunk no matter what.

Early in SportsHoopla's existence, I started a troll thread saying I'd trade all our future football success if UF became a top 3 public university academically. People got irate. lol I guess the diploma means more to some than others who don't mind insults to the academic institution.

It's just so weird to have illiterate players at a college where everyone is studying their ass off just to get through. All I know is it's a tenuous balance right now and CA is going to fuck it all up.

I hear, especially since even if you fail as a professional in whatever sport you can use your worthless degree and make more money than a student who got a legit degree. How many former professional athletes are making millions as an analyst who’s degree was worthless. I’m sure there are hundreds of examples but the one that I know is there was a former UW football star who was gifted his own real estate agency after he failed to make a practice squad.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
None of what you posted had anything to do with why Title IX doesn't apply. According to your flimsy argument, every athlete regardless of sport has to be paid the same by outside companies...obviously that isn't true.

Title IX has nothing to do with why student athletes who are invited to try to be Olympic athletes are allowed endorsements you dolt. As I’ve said, this California bill I am totally cool with as long as they either abolish Title IX athletic part or reform the law just as the NCAA needs to be reformed. But putting a gun to someone’s head is not the way our judicial system should work. You want it to be an open market fine, then encourage the 4 teams who make the CFB playoffs or the 68 that make the NCAA tournament refuse to play.

michaeljordan_fan

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Title IX has nothing to do with why student athletes who are invited to try to be Olympic athletes are allowed endorsements you dolt. As I’ve said, this California bill I am totally cool with as long as they either abolish Title IX athletic part or reform the law just as the NCAA needs to be reformed. But putting a gun to someone’s head is not the way our judicial system should work. You want it to be an open market fine, then encourage the 4 teams who make the CFB playoffs or the 68 that make the NCAA tournament refuse to play.

Nothing about Title IX restricts private companies from giving endorsements to athletes. All athletes in California will have the opportunity to market themselves.

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So let’s be reckless and pass a bill to find out what’s in it again? They put a gun to the head of the NCAA and say fix this with 4 years? The NCAA can’t change the law. And this bill is a shot across the bow of the NCAA but the NCAA is going to be extorted into reforming rules just to open themselves up to lawsuits? The Women’s National Team is suing right now because 105 pound women needs to same food allowance as the men.
Lol. Yeah Im sure they cant figure it out. Its not like we all get paid different. Its not like Saban makes more than the womens softball coach. It's not like the football facilities are palatial compared to the tennis team.
Yeah the world will crumble if Tua does a nike shoe ad and they put the money NIKE is paying him in a trust till hes graduated or how ever they figure it out.

BoiseMike19

10 inch Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 450.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Man, I get why some are down on the NCAA and I'd like to see some changes too. However, this is not the answer. Kinda like treating a brain tumor by removing your head.

OregonDucks

Oregon Is Faster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Does this mean I have to drive to California to buy a copy of EA NCAA Football 21?

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess doing in Africa where they don’t have the regulations we do here could work. No minimum wage, no L&I, no unions. I just think students athletes don’t realize they are making more money in free shit at a university than they would on an open market for a minor league team. Sweet you are a 5 star recruit but get fired after your first season because you didn’t translate to professional football and it leaves you where?
Yet we all hear read and agree that most are not there for the education and the ncaa couldn't care less if they get an actual education. The ncaa is about money but everyone gets cash except the players. Lol