• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Let the fun begin, CA Gov signs college athlete likeness pay bill

Stakesarehigh

One day it will all make sense
Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm confused why people think athletes profiting from their own likeness will take away money from schools? If anything them being able to market themselves may actually improve the situation for some schools. Because the schools don't have the funds nor can spend the time to do it.

The bill is specifically stating schools cannot directly pay players. End arounds are possible but those already exist.

Just curious why the concern over CFB becoming more top heavy....can it get anymore top heavy?

We've had the same two teams win the last four titles and only Georgia has cracked the final and that's because Bama and Clemson actually played in the Semis.

Stakesarehigh

One day it will all make sense
Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's not where this is though. If they start paying players, it'll really damage CFB. I mean it will really, really damage CFB. Every school's bleachers will look like a Miami game at home.

You don't pay someone to go to your university! If they need to get paid to get a degree there, fuck them. gtfo. That WILL be the response of alumni from public universities to paying players. We already cringe when illiterate players get a mic in their faces...that's fake enough.

That being said, the NFL will have to get a farm league because the universities won't pay these degenerate retards to play a sport at their school. CA schools will get good players doing this at first. Then, the rest of the country will have to follow and the entire thing will crumble. Any school winning the NC with purchased players will be a joke....the sucker that paid for that shit.

People really need to read the actual bill and not the asshats tweet that kicked off the OP.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's not where this is though. If they start paying players, it'll really damage CFB. I mean it will really, really damage CFB. Every school's bleachers will look like a Miami game at home.

You don't pay someone to go to your university! If they need to get paid to get a degree there, fuck them. gtfo. That WILL be the response of alumni from public universities to paying players. We already cringe when illiterate players get a mic in their faces...that's fake enough.

That being said, the NFL will have to get a farm league because the universities won't pay these degenerate retards to play a sport at their school. CA schools will get good players doing this at first. Then, the rest of the country will have to follow and the entire thing will crumble. Any school winning the NC with purchased players will be a joke....the sucker that paid for that shit.

I get what you are saying. I just think the main reason the NFL or NBA have never been remotely successful with a minor league is because colleges have a loyal fan base regardless. The only way you could conceivably make a profit off it is to put teams in professional cities do develop. Then there goes nearly the entire SEC and B1G and Big 12. Without a fan base the players would be making less than they currently do as a student athlete.

JuiceTheGator

Purveyor of Justice
Hoopla Cash
$ 903.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's not a left vs right issue. A Republican in North Carolina has proposed a similar bill.

Well, I'm not wrong but neither are you.

This is also a suckage issue. Teams that suck forever, but have money, see this as a way to level things. The suck is deep in CA and NC. (right Clemson?)

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
...is the schools. It's not some evil corporation. It is made up of member schools.
Who want to keep the same deal in place that was around since before the leather helmet days even though now everyones (schools , coaches, ncaa employees, networks) making more money
Than anyone ever dreamed about.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Does the womens tennis coach make as much as Clay Helton now?

That was your argument not mine. The football coach makes more money than the women’s tennis coach because they are legally obligated to follow???

michaeljordan_fan

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, I'm not wrong but neither are you.

This is also a suckage issue. Teams that suck forever, but have money, see this as a way to level things. The suck is deep in CA and NC. (right Clemson?)

Team competitiveness had 0 to do with the bill being passed.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Schools and the NCAA is what I wrote.
Just the salary of the pac 12 commissioner would give 80 members of each teams football squad 5k. One guy. So sorry if I dont think something can be done . A film student on scholarship can make a short film and get paid and not lose his scholership. This is just about the NCAA fearing the loss of cash cow .

The salary of the commissioner again just like coaches is irrelevant. You film student can make money from his short film correct. But whoever gives the kid money isn’t legally obligated to treat the kid who got the F equally.

JuiceTheGator

Purveyor of Justice
Hoopla Cash
$ 903.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I get what you are saying. I just think the main reason the NFL or NBA have never been remotely successful with a minor league is because colleges have a loyal fan base regardless. The only way you could conceivably make a profit off it is to put teams in professional cities do develop. Then there goes nearly the entire SEC and B1G and Big 12. Without a fan base the players would be making less than they currently do as a student athlete.

That would work. The farm team plays in the NFL team's stadium off season. That would pick up what the USFL tried to do...but would probably work with less investment in the players and the stadiums already there. The facilities are there, equipment, a lot of the staff could overlap.

The more I think about it, a farm league could be profitable as fuck!

TigerBait1971

Roll Tide? What? FUCK YOU! lolz
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who want to keep the same deal in place that was around since before the leather helmet days even though now everyones (schools , coaches, ncaa employees, networks) making more money
Than anyone ever dreamed about.

So what?

michaeljordan_fan

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The salary of the commissioner again just like coaches is irrelevant. You film student can make money from his short film correct. But whoever gives the kid money isn’t legally obligated to treat the kid who got the F equally.

Your analogy makes no sense. Whichever company gives an athlete money isn't legally obligated to pay anyone else.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're confusing profits and revenue. They are not the same thing.

I meant profit, my bad not revenue. Either way the schools do not make remotely the money that the people who are pro this bill make. The star football player does get screwed, so instead of paying a dumbass like Larry Scott to screw over that athlete then the Presidents/Chancellors need to try to reform how the NCAA works.

Peter Gozintite

NO!...but yes.
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 103,499.99
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why the fuck would anyone be pro NCAA at this point? They are corrupt, and half of their rules are stupid and archaic. I would be more for abolishing the NCAA than banning Cali schools. Fuck the NCAA.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That would work. The farm team plays in the NFL team's stadium off season. That would pick up what the USFL tried to do...but would probably work with less investment in the players and the stadiums already there. The facilities are there, equipment, a lot of the staff could overlap.

The more I think about it, a farm league could be profitable as fuck!

Could be but why hasn’t any other league been profitable. The USFL was for a second but they were paying money to star college guys. How is it profitable to be paying 18 year olds when the bust rate is higher than any other sport.

I’m totally cool with this bill but first California has to argue Title IX is unconstitutional and that argument I cannot wait for.

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hence laws are changing. This doesnt go into affect till 2023. They are going to have to figure out the details. But the days of we cant pay them or let them make money on thier likeness are going to be gone soon.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Your analogy makes no sense. Whichever company gives an athlete money isn't legally obligated to pay anyone else.

Title IX says otherwise. Any single advantage a male in a revenue sport makes has to be given to a female athlete in a non revenue sport. This is why the coaches making boat loads of money is irrelevant.

JuiceTheGator

Purveyor of Justice
Hoopla Cash
$ 903.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Title IX says otherwise. Any single advantage a male in a revenue sport makes has to be given to a female athlete in a non revenue sport. This is why the coaches making boat loads of money is irrelevant.

Teddy Kennedy's shitty law. We'll have to pay women swimmers and rowers and all that shit.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hence laws are changing. This doesnt go into affect till 2023. They are going to have to figure out the details. But the days of we cant pay them or let them make money on thier likeness are going to be gone soon.

So let’s be reckless and pass a bill to find out what’s in it again? They put a gun to the head of the NCAA and say fix this with 4 years? The NCAA can’t change the law. And this bill is a shot across the bow of the NCAA but the NCAA is going to be extorted into reforming rules just to open themselves up to lawsuits? The Women’s National Team is suing right now because 105 pound women needs to same food allowance as the men.