• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Let the fun begin, CA Gov signs college athlete likeness pay bill

Goldbug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My hunch is it will just stink things up until the national election next year. If the Democrats take over the White House, you can expect the new Prez to throw his/her weight behind this "progressive adjustment to the historical enslavement and blatant exploitation of college athletes". If the White House isn't controlled by a Dem, my guess is it will eventually go the way of most California insanity; it will be defeated in the Federal courts when someone files a suit against it and gets down in the mud to fight it out.

BoiseMike19

10 inch Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 450.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yet we all hear read and agree that most are not there for the education and the ncaa couldn't care less if they get an actual education. The ncaa is about money but everyone gets cash except the players. Lol
Thanks for the facepalm, let me guess...."Bernie Sanders 2020" bumper sticker on your Prius?

BoiseMike19

10 inch Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 450.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yet we all hear read and agree that most are not there for the education and the ncaa couldn't care less if they get an actual education. The ncaa is about money but everyone gets cash except the players. Lol
Thanks for the facepalm, let me guess...."Bernie Sanders 2020" bumper sticker on your Prius?

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My hunch is it will just stink things up until the national election next year. If the Democrats take over the White House, you can expect the new Prez to throw his/her weight behind this "progressive adjustment to the historical enslavement and blatant exploitation of college athletes". If the White House isn't controlled by a Dem, my guess is it will eventually go the way of most California insanity; it will be defeated in the Federal courts when someone files a suit against it and gets down in the mud to fight it out.
I guess you missed the Ed Obannon ruling. It's been going in this direction for a while and the more money that is being brought in make it inevitable . I dont know why people especially people who claim to be for the free market system are so against someone making money from their own likeness and popularity.

Goldbug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess you missed the Ed Obannon ruling. It's been going in this direction for a while and the more money that is being brought in make it inevitable . I dont know why people especially people who claim to be for the free market system are so against someone making money from their own likeness and popularity.

You're seeing this in a shade of gray when the situation is more black and white. Want to pay them? Fine. Pay them a salary subject to all the normal rules and law of employment and do completely away with scholarships. Or we keep it the way it is and the amateurs have to settle for an expensive education with all the perks. It's just not feasible to make the system try to absorb both approaches because of some good reasons.

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're seeing this in a shade of gray when the situation is more black and white. Want to pay them? Fine. Pay them a salary subject to all the normal rules and law of employment and do completely away with scholarships. Or we keep it the way it is and the amateurs have to settle for an expensive education with all the perks. It's just not feasible to make the system try to absorb both approaches because of some good reasons.
I guess it depends how badly the schoosl want a good team. Let me know when teams would tell a player we wont give you a scholership lol

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From what Ive heard this is about players having the ability to market themselves . Why would a school pull a scholly because its top players made a Gatorade commercial.

Stakesarehigh

One day it will all make sense
Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This may actually help schools retain players especially in college hoops. A borderline pro but stud in college will be less likely to go pro if they're making more in endorsements than they would in the G League

Goldbug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess it depends how badly the schoosl want a good team. Let me know when teams would tell a player we wont give you a scholership lol

If the system is changed to either one or the other approach then EVERYONE would be doing the same thing like it is now. Pay For Play vs. Scholarship.

ElTexan

Board Chancellor Emeritus
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here is what you don’t get. Making money off their likeness means — a select few will make money.
Schools can literally say — here is your choice. A scholarship or you can pay for the services we provide, including school, coaching, room and board, etc.

If a school pays 10 million for a coaching staff — each kid who chooses against the scholarship can pay their part of the salary. 10 million divided by 85 scholarship players. Each player would be responsible for $117,000 a year for coaching. Then the away games, they can pay for their flight and hotel, food, transportation, etc. strength and conditioning coach will cost scholarship athletes about 10k a year at big schools.

The list is never ending. And the worst part of all of it. Schools can go back to 1 and done scholarships. You aren’t performing, your scholarship is pulled and you are off the team.
I do get that. And those consequences will have to be ironed out because those consequences are absolutely not as important as the basic economic freedom of the principals in a multi multi billion dollar industry.

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the system is changed to either one or the other approach then EVERYONE would be doing the same thing like it is now. Pay For Play vs. Scholarship.
So you're saying Alabama wont honor or give Tua scholership if he makes a nike commercial. Yeah ok.

Goldbug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I do get that. And those consequences will have to be ironed out because those consequences are absolutely not as important as the basic economic freedom of the principals in a multi multi billion dollar industry.

The multi billion industry you are talking about involves revenues, not profits. Big difference. I understand the gripe about salaries for coaches. They are ridiculous. But the profits that are generated are (a) not being paid out to investors and (b) are plowed back into the programs, assuming there are any profits in the first place. The whole system is unsustainable over the long term because of the huge costs involved, not how any particular athlete is getting "screwed by the Man".

ElTexan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Disagree, the NFL tried a minor league system with NFL Europe and it failed miserably. Problem will always be fans with non professional football. You as a fan of Florida will pay money regardless of who suits up, there is no loyalty for minor league football and no way the NFL, XFL or any other league could generate 1/10th the money the NCAA does with college football.
It failed because there is an illegal, unfair status quo monopoly. Geez, you people can’t see basic economics working. Yes. They can’t make 1/10 while the illegal, immoral, unfair NCAASports monopoly exists. Correct. Damn.

Goldbug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So you're saying Alabama wont honor or give Tua scholership if he makes a nike commercial. Yeah ok.

Fuck, dude, you're being intentionally obtuse. I'm comparing a system with scholarships vs Pay for Play without any scholarships.

ElTexan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So, that’s indentured servitude. It’s a monopoly in a multi multi billion dollar industry.
You can’t be this dumb.
Again: in a multi multi billion dollar industry, not letting the ACTUAL PRINCIPALS negotiate for their compensation in any way is on its face laughable, unfair, illegal, immoral.

ElTexan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That would work. The farm team plays in the NFL team's stadium off season. That would pick up what the USFL tried to do...but would probably work with less investment in the players and the stadiums already there. The facilities are there, equipment, a lot of the staff could overlap.

The more I think about it, a farm league could be profitable as fuck!
It is profitable as fuck. It’s college football and is very profitable. Except for the principals actually doing the thing. It’s not a revelation that it could be profitable. It is. Multi multi billions.

Last edited:

ElTexan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Man, I get why some are down on the NCAA and I'd like to see some changes too. However, this is not the answer. Kinda like treating a brain tumor by removing your head.
A head is important. A multi billion dollar monopoly on the backs of unpaid labor isn’t.

ElTexan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The multi billion industry you are talking about involves revenues, not profits. Big difference. I understand the gripe about salaries for coaches. They are ridiculous. But the profits that are generated are (a) not being paid out to investors and (b) are plowed back into the programs, assuming there are any profits in the first place. The whole system is unsustainable over the long term because of the huge costs involved, not how any particular athlete is getting "screwed by the Man".
I didn’t bring up profits vs revenues. I said it’s a multi multi billion dollar industry. We don’t allow monopolies and unpaid labor in those.
It’s not your summer softball league where you make a bit of money from the concession stands and T-shirt sales so you can pay the guy to cut the grass and repair the bleachers in the off-season. Its a MULTI MULTI BILLION DOLLAR industry where everyone is making millions except the actual principals doing it.
It’s illegal, unfair, immoral, and would be laughed and sued out of existence in any other field.
But solely because it’s the status quo, you fools argue in favor of it???