• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Left Tackle Discussion

Ricky Roma

The Catch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I respectfully disagree. There was a lack of OL talent before the season started based on the lack of production from both starting Gs and C last season. To add lack of depth in there is exactly a lack of OL talent. Even if we had Coleman healthy, there would STILL be a lack of OL talent. Now hopefully Person, Richburg and Tomlinson continue to ball out like the last couple games but that's ALOT of hope riding on 3 dudes who underperformed last season and only Richburg has shown to be better than last season's performance.

Lack of overall talent? Yes. SF will be hurting if one of the three interior guys go down. Lack of talent at specifically the LT position? Nope. Teams just aren't deep on the OL, so if SF gets anything from Skule, it's a bonus.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
https://www.************.com/articles/128659-how-did-49ers-manage-without-joe-staley-offense/

Hey now, it wasn't a disaster at LT. What would you expect from Skule, i know Maltaban expected DISASTER. :-)

No, our situation is STILL bad but there is no good solution.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lack of overall talent? Yes. SF will be hurting if one of the three interior guys go down. Lack of talent at specifically the LT position? Nope. Teams just aren't deep on the OL, so if SF gets anything from Skule, it's a bonus.
The 49ers certainly aren't. I noticed thst all the starting O Linemen played every snap against Pittsburgh except for McGlinchy who missed two snaps with an equipment malfunction.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
https://www.************.com/articles/128659-how-did-49ers-manage-without-joe-staley-offense/

Hey now, it wasn't a disaster at LT. What would you expect from Skule, i know Maltaban expected DISASTER. :-)

No, our situation is STILL bad but there is no good solution.
Not true. I predicted Garoppolo would get knocked around badly against Pittsburgh which he did. I did not predict his injury to come until the Cleveland game when Myles Garrett, who tries to hurt people, gets him.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
https://www.************.com/articles/128750-arik-armstead-make-money-whether-49ers-elsewhere-lynch/

Arik Armstead is another player we want to re-sign. Granted, not as critical as Buckner or Kittle, but we should try. So we have to be careful not to give away 1st rounders and give the big cap money to "short term" Free Agents. It sends a bad message to our own players who deserve it first.

This doesn't mean don't ever do it, but don't succumb to knee jerk reactions.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
https://www.************.com/articles/128750-arik-armstead-make-money-whether-49ers-elsewhere-lynch/

Arik Armstead is another player we want to re-sign. Granted, not as critical as Buckner or Kittle, but we should try.

Ricky Roma

The Catch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

DurbanPoison2121

I'm just here so I won't get fined.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sure....on a very team-friendly deal. He shows more this year because there are three guys on the line who are better than him. Since it's highly doubtful he'd be willing to give the team a discount, I say let him walk.

I think from a cap perspective and considering our depth on the DL, we end up letting him walk.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Not too bad a performance from the Left AND Right OT. Seems to me they did worse in the run game than pass blocking? :-)

Ok that's just nit-picking, they both did a good job filling in.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Staley has been out since Week 2 with a fractured left fibula, which he suffered Sept. 15 in Cincinnati. Justin Skule is expected to make his sixth consecutive start vs. Arizona at left tackle.

GOOD job taking over for Staley. We don't even mention LT anymore......

Also good job by Brunskill on the right side. These guys aren't 'perfect' but they exceeded expectations.

DurbanPoison2121

I'm just here so I won't get fined.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Staley has been out since Week 2 with a fractured left fibula, which he suffered Sept. 15 in Cincinnati. Justin Skule is expected to make his sixth consecutive start vs. Arizona at left tackle.

GOOD job taking over for Staley. We don't even mention LT anymore......

Also good job by Brunskill on the right side. These guys aren't 'perfect' but they exceeded expectations.

Agreed. I honestly thought our tackle situation was going to turn into a shit show. I am so happy that I was wrong!

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Staley broke his finger and will be out multiple weeks. Not even worried about this; Skule plays at least as well as Staley has and Staley looked like a broke down old man last night as Clowney dominated him.

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Staley broke his finger and will be out multiple weeks. Not even worried about this; Skule plays at least as well as Staley has and Staley looked like a broke down old man last night as Clowney dominated him.

I think some of that was just coming back from an injury but it is what it is.