• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Left Tackle Discussion

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After watching Myles Garret tonight I’m not sure Garoppolo will survive the Cleveland game with Skule playing left tackle

After watching Myles Garret tonight I’m not sure Garoppolo will survive the Cleveland game with Skule playing left tackle

The Jets O-Line isn't very good worse than the 49ers by far and they had a 2nd and 3rd string QB playing. Not to mention Adam Gase hasn't shown himself to be the kind of play called Shanahan is.

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would have rather traded for Fitzpatrick than Williams.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Jets O-Line isn't very good worse than the 49ers by far and they had a 2nd and 3rd string QB playing. Not to mention Adam Gase hasn't shown himself to be the kind of play called Shanahan is.
Skule still worries the shit out of me; especially being on Garoppolo's blind side.

Ricky Roma

The Catch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't take it up with me....go straight to the HC and drop your knowledge off....

"Why Shanahan is sticking with new 49ers left tackle Skule"
Well, then Shanahan is dumber than I thought. It definitely matters which side the best Tackle plays on because all QBs have a blind side and Garoppolo, being right handed, his is coming from the left. Someone must have misquoted Shanahan in that article because clearly he is not stupid enough to believe that it doesn't matter where your Tackles play.

I think they can still run effectively to the left with Skule in there, which is where they almost always run, but for Garoppolo to have a guy he does not have confidence in guarding his backside could be critical for his confidence. If you haven't noticed, the 49ers run a lot of slow developing pass plays which require protection for Garoppolo and the Left Tackle is crucial to the success of those plays.

DurbanPoison2121

I'm just here so I won't get fined.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, then Shanahan is dumber than I thought. It definitely matters which side the best Tackle plays on because all QBs have a blind side and Garoppolo, being right handed, his is coming from the left. Someone must have misquoted Shanahan in that article because clearly he is not stupid enough to believe that it doesn't matter where your Tackles play.

I think they can still run effectively to the left with Skule in there, which is where they almost always run, but for Garoppolo to have a guy he does not have confidence in guarding his backside could be critical for his confidence. If you haven't noticed, the 49ers run a lot of slow developing pass plays which require protection for Garoppolo and the Left Tackle is crucial to the success of those plays.

^^^This.

Niner Outlaw

Stay out of my territory.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm with @Ricky Roma. Trading our 1st for T.Williams seems like a panic move.

Then there is the issue of giving him a big new deal. Once that's done, who goes to the bench when Staley returns?

He's a PB LT, no doubt, but he's not all that durable--over the last few years, he averages about 4 games per season missed due to injury.

Not thrilled that Skule is all we've got over there, but put a TE on his side, have the RB chip his end, and see how it goes.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Again, there is no good solution.
I know. Its a tough call but everything possible needs to be done to keep Garoppolo healthy so we can find out what we have in him. Getting Tackles in the draft next year doesn't help us if Garoppolo is broken either physically or mentally like Kaepernick and Smith were.

DurbanPoison2121

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A single first round pick in 2020. Personally they probably aren't getting a player like him where they are picking.

NFL Network reported that PIT gave up:
1st, 4th, 7th

MIA gave up:
Minka, 5th, 6th

DurbanPoison2121

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm with @Ricky Roma. Trading our 1st for T.Williams seems like a panic move.

Then there is the issue of giving him a big new deal. Once that's done, who goes to the bench when Staley returns?

He's a PB LT, no doubt, but he's not all that durable--over the last few years, he averages about 4 games per season missed due to injury.

Not thrilled that Skule is all we've got over there, but put a TE on his side, have the RB chip his end, and see how it goes.

If they traded for Williams and re-signed him, my guess is that they would kick Williams inside upon Staley's return and have him man LG next to Staley as a way to solidify the interior but I don't think that would be a smart move to sign a LT to star LT money, then kick him inside at the expense of re-signing guys like Buchner and Kittle.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A single first round pick in 2020. Personally they probably aren't getting a player like him where they are picking.
Im not really impressed by him but I wish the Steelers had waited til next week to get him.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If we need to, install an hback? to help out the left side!? Big Showdown this weekend!!
The Niners should win fairly easily as long as they can protect Garoppolo without Staley.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
If they traded for Williams and re-signed him, my guess is that they would kick Williams inside upon Staley's return and have him man LG next to Staley as a way to solidify the interior but I don't think that would be a smart move to sign a LT to star LT money, then kick him inside at the expense of re-signing guys like Buchner and Kittle.

Yes, this is seeing the bigger picture and not being short sighted.