• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Left Tackle Discussion

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
If we need to, install an hback? to help out the left side!? Big Showdown this weekend!!

Yes, and lean on running plays.

If the run plays are effective enough, we should be able to throw short/medium. Skule will be an issue only when we have to throw longer. But this is also when you give him some help.

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is no big picture without garoppolo

They should have tried to improve the O-Line during the offseason either in free agency or the draft in this capacity. I'm willing to see what Smile can do before writing him off.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They should have tried to improve the O-Line during the offseason either in free agency or the draft in this capacity. I'm willing to see what Smile can do before writing him off.
They are just going to have to hope they can get through this I have a bad feeling about this.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
There is no big picture without garoppolo

JG could get hurt even if Staley was still playing. You're acting like the sky WILL fall on Sunday?!

No one likes this situation, no one wants JG to get hurt, and there is no good solution. I haven't seen anything to make me change my opinion, trading away a 1st rounder, giving Williams a top contract, then hoping he fits in by Sunday, isn't the best solution. TW can't just fly into SF and be in tune with the offense. He'll need two weeks if not more to REALLY play his best.

Then Williams finally gets in sync and Staley returns, then what?

It doesn't make sense to pay Williams a top LT contract, and then see if he can play OG? He's a top LT and has always played LT. Staley is signed THRU next season, then what, Williams becomes the highest paid swing OT in the NFL. We don't have a 1st round pick but we have a top LT sitting on the bench thru next season.

You need to think this thru, not have a knee jerk reaction for Sunday.

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
JG could get hurt even if Staley was still playing. You're acting like the sky WILL fall on Sunday?!

No one likes this situation, no one wants JG to get hurt, and there is no good solution. I haven't seen anything to make me change my opinion, trading away a 1st rounder, giving Williams a top contract, then hoping he fits in by Sunday, isn't the best solution. TW can't just fly into SF and be in tune with the offense. He'll need two weeks if not more to REALLY play his best.

It doesn't make sense to pay Williams a top LT contract, and then see if he can play OG? He's a top LT and has always played LT. Staley is signed THRU next season, then what, Williams becomes the highest paid swing OT in the NFL. We don't have a 1st round pick but we have a top LT sitting on the bench thru next season.

I agree, let's see how things go at least another week or two this early schedule is very winnable.

DurbanPoison2121

I'm just here so I won't get fined.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

My understanding was that both FA and this year's draft was not very deep with OL talent and we had greater needs with WR and pass rush topping the charts.

My understanding is also that next year's draft is supposed to be way deep with OL talent so the hope is we do similar to what we did with WR in this year's draft.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

No. I think he may get smacked around and get shaky. I think it will be against Cleveland that he goes down if they don't get him some protection. Garrett is a beast and he likes to hurt people. As for Staley, if you think he's going to be back in a few weeks with a broken fibula, I've got a bridge for sale if you're interested.
If he stays protected they'll win easily, if not it could go either way.

Ricky Roma

The Catch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
People have to realize that this really isn't a 'lack of O-line talent' situation here. SF lost their swing tackle in Shon Coleman, so this is just a case of bad luck. There are no teams that are 3-deep in quality tackles....just look at the Pats....they are scrambling to fill Isaiah Wynn, who is now on IR. Guess Billy Belly was 'unprepared' and whatnot...

Shanahan will simply have to scheme and help out Skule for the time being with establishing runs, QB misdirections, etc....unless the kid shows the team something. I'll worry about it if it needs to be worried about.

Niner Outlaw

Stay out of my territory.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If they traded for Williams and re-signed him, my guess is that they would kick Williams inside upon Staley's return and have him man LG next to Staley as a way to solidify the interior but I don't think that would be a smart move to sign a LT to star LT money, then kick him inside at the expense of re-signing guys like Buchner and Kittle.
Just one of the many reasons not to trade for Williams.

Saw an article this morning that proposed the Niners trading for the Eagles backup OT, Halapoulivaati Vaitai. Over the last couple of seasons, he's filled in for both RT and LT for them and wasn't terrible. He's in the last year of his rookie deal and the Eagles just spent a 1st rounder on a LT, so he's leaving Philly in the spring. He's got experience and he'd be a cheap rental.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
People have to realize that this really isn't a 'lack of O-line talent' situation here. SF lost their swing tackle in Shon Coleman, so this is just a case of bad luck. There are no teams that are 3-deep in quality tackles....just look at the Pats....they are scrambling to fill Isaiah Wynn, who is now on IR. Guess Billy Belly was 'unprepared' and whatnot...

Shanahan will simply have to scheme and help out Skule for the time being with establishing runs, QB misdirections, etc....unless the kid shows the team something. I'll worry about it if it needs to be worried about.
That's the best idea I've heard yet and hopefully Shanahan is thinking along those lines as well.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My understanding was that both FA and this year's draft was not very deep with OL talent and we had greater needs with WR and pass rush topping the charts.

My understanding is also that next year's draft is supposed to be way deep with OL talent so the hope is we do similar to what we did with WR in this year's draft.

IDK that free agency is ever deep in OL talent anymore. Quality olineman are in short supply these days and teams don't let them go unless they are players due big paydays. You almost need to draft and hopefully develop them.

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just one of the many reasons not to trade for Williams.

Saw an article this morning that proposed the Niners trading for the Eagles backup OT, Halapoulivaati Vaitai. Over the last couple of seasons, he's filled in for both RT and LT for them and wasn't terrible. He's in the last year of his rookie deal and the Eagles just spent a 1st rounder on a LT, so he's leaving Philly in the spring. He's got experience and he'd be a cheap rental.

If they trade for one that is probably the smartest way to do it.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, at least there's this:

“It was good to get him in a real NFL game especially since he’s going to be playing a lot next week,” Shanahan said. “The game’s not too big for him. That’s what we liked a lot about him, being a four-year starter in the SEC at Vanderbilt. He got to play against a lot of good players,""

He got a lot of opportunity to play against quality amateur competition in the SEC.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I told you, its what I do.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's the best idea I've heard yet and hopefully Shanahan is thinking along those lines as well.

I read this morning, they may bring in Tiolo on passing downs to act like an extra lineman to help Skule on passing downs.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Why the 49ers won't trade for Jalen Ramsey

Although this is about Ramsey, the cap evaluation would be similar if we try to sign Trent Williams. Obviously, Ramsey would make more due to his younger age, but the though process would be the same.

We need to sign our own first, starting with Buckner and Kittle. But if this continues to be a successful season, there will be others right after.

DurbanPoison2121

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I read this morning, they may bring in Tiolo on passing downs to act like an extra lineman to help Skule on passing downs.
This is where Juice needs to earn his keep. Putting Tiollolo (sp?) out there pretty much signals that he won't be a pass catching threat. Having Juice in at Hback makes it so the defense has to account for him as a receiving threat as much as a pass blocker.

DurbanPoison2121

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I respectfully disagree. There was a lack of OL talent before the season started based on the lack of production from both starting Gs and C last season. To add lack of depth in there is exactly a lack of OL talent. Even if we had Coleman healthy, there would STILL be a lack of OL talent. Now hopefully Person, Richburg and Tomlinson continue to ball out like the last couple games but that's ALOT of hope riding on 3 dudes who underperformed last season and only Richburg has shown to be better than last season's performance.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I respectfully disagree. There was a lack of OL talent before the season started based on the lack of production from both starting Gs and C last season. To add lack of depth in there is exactly a lack of OL talent. Even if we had Coleman healthy, there would STILL be a lack of OL talent. Now hopefully Person, Richburg and Tomlinson continue to ball out like the last couple games but that's ALOT of hope riding on 3 dudes who underperformed last season and only Richburg has shown to be better than last season's performance.

Richburg may be improved over last season, but that is a very low bar. i read an article saying Richburg is still the weak point. Can't say i saw it myself, but he gets more scrutiny because of the big FA contract.