• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Left Tackle Discussion

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Should 49ers trade for Williams after Staley's injury?

This guy is available and the 49ers needed to address the Offensive Line anyway; I say go get him. They have more motivation to do so now. You don't want to waste this good start by losing their running game (in case anyone hadn't noticed, just about every significant run yesterday came off left tackle) or worse yet, losing Garoppolo's confidence or losing him to injury because we have a rookie 6th round pick at left tackle who wouldn't even have been on the team had Coleman not gone on IR..

DurbanPoison2121

I'm just here so I won't get fined.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Kalil at the very least should be looked at.

Ricky Roma

The Catch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The O-line has really gelled this year...probably largely due to the continuity of the guys up front. I personally rather see what they have in Skule/Brunskill. If Staley is going to return, might as well try out guys who are at least familiar with the scheme rather than just bring in somebody.....and by the time they're up to speed, Staley is back.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
The O-line has really gelled this year...probably largely due to the continuity of the guys up front. I personally rather see what they have in Skule/Brunskill. If Staley is going to return, might as well try out guys who are at least familiar with the scheme rather than just bring in somebody.....and by the time they're up to speed, Staley is back.

this is my line of thinking too. yes, not THE solution and LT WILL be a problem from here on. But seems like the more sensible path in the big picture?

if Williams was permanently replacing Staley for at least for the longer term, he would make more sense. But it's not 'longer term' and he will need time to transition.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would do but not at the cost of Jimmy Garoppolo. Left Tackle is too important to give to a rookie sixth rounder who would not even have made the team had Shon Coleman not gone on IR

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
this is my line of thinking too. yes, not THE solution and LT WILL be a problem from here on. But seems like the more sensible path in the big picture?

if Williams was permanently replacing Staley for at least for the longer term, he would make more sense. But it's not 'longer term' and he will need time to transition.
The only time you'd get a perennial All Pro Left Tackle like Williams is on a long term contract and Staley is in his 14th year? He might last through next year.....maybe. Staley could move to Right Tackle and McGlinchy could move to Guard which is his natural position.
If Staley is back in 6-8 weeks from a broken fibula I'll eat my hat. There is no way.

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The only time you'd get a perennial All Pro Left Tackle like Williams is on a long term contract and Staley is in his 14th year? He might last through next year.....maybe. Staley could move to Right Tackle and McGlinchy could move to Guard which is his natural position.
If Staley is back in 6-8 weeks from a broken fibula I'll eat my hat. There is no way.

I have to disagree about McGlinchey's natural position being guard. He played RT and LT in college and was a tackle in high school.

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Williams is also holding out so you would have to sign him to a long term deal and move on from Staley. Trent Williams is 31 so he isn't a great deal younger.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
"To acquire Williams, the 49ers likely would have to give up a first-round draft pick, and they already lost their 2020 second-round pick when they traded for Dee Ford. Williams also has a $14.6 million salary-cap hit for 2020. Williams wants a new deal and the 49ers likely would have to secure him for the long haul.

If that would be the case, the 49ers would be choosing Williams over Staley, who they signed to a new contract through 2021 this past offseason. Staley, 35, wants to be in red and gold his entire career. Are the 49ers willing to demote a player who has been loyal through tumultuous times?

The more likely scenario has the 49ers trading for another depth tackle. But is that the right move?"

Ok for sure i say no to signing Trent Williams.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I would do but not at the cost of Jimmy Garoppolo. Left Tackle is too important to give to a rookie sixth rounder who would not even have made the team had Shon Coleman not gone on IR

No argument there. Staley's injury is very unfortunate and there is no good solution. Even if you take the best LT in the NFL, he'd need some transition time.

None of us likes this solution but trading a 1st rounder and giving TW a big contract isn't prudent. We already have Buckner to sign but at least he earned it.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have to disagree about McGlinchey's natural position being guard. He played RT and LT in college and was a tackle in high school.
Oh. I thought he played Guard at Notre Dame

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No argument there. Staley's injury is very unfortunate and there is no good solution. Even if you take the best LT in the NFL, he'd need some transition time.

None of us likes this solution but trading a 1st rounder and giving TW a big contract isn't prudent. We already have Buckner to sign but at least he earned it.
Why? Do you think you are going to get a better player than Williams with that first round pick? I don’t

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why? Do you think you are going to get a better player than Williams with that first round pick? I don’t

Probably not but do you want to give up a first round pick for a 31 year old LT with injury history that's holding out for a big deal.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Probably not but do you want to give up a first round pick for a 31 year old LT with injury history that's holding out for a big deal.
Yeah that’s the drawback but sooner or later we gotta stop building for the future and win now. They have a great opportunity with this start and an easy schedule to make the playoffs but if garoppolo starts getting sacked and loses confidence or, worse yet, gets hurt they are done

DurbanPoison2121

I'm just here so I won't get fined.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not to sound like a broken record, but Kalil could be serviceable at the very least and would probably be more productive than a 6th rd pick that didn't impress during the preseason.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After watching Myles Garret tonight I’m not sure Garoppolo will survive the Cleveland game with Skule playing left tackle

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

Rather take my chances over the highly priced, big cap hit, 31 year old TW.

If there isn't an LT in the draft, we don't have to draft one.

This team is going to be much better now, which means bigger contracts to retain our own. We should spend the cap on 26 and 27 year old type players who have proven to fit this team.

Ricky Roma

The Catch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The left tackle/importance is more myth than anything now....practically every pass rusher comes from either the left or right side nowadays. It's why Shanahan has stated he has no intentions of moving Glinch over to left.

If they can find some stop-gap player in the market (which they probably won't because everybody values OT's), it's best to stick with what they have, instead of blowing draft picks for half-year loan players....no matter how good they are. Shanahan can adjust his line to help out whomever is there...and if they keep emphasizing the run, it will only make things easier.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rather take my chances over the highly priced, big cap hit, 31 year old TW.

If there isn't an LT in the draft, we don't have to draft one.

This team is going to be much better now, which means bigger contracts to retain our own. We should spend the cap on 26 and 27 year old type players who have proven to fit this team.
Man, this just doesn’t make any sense

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The left tackle/importance is more myth than anything now....practically every pass rusher comes from either the left or right side nowadays. It's why Shanahan has stated he has no intentions of moving Glinch over to left.

If they can find some stop-gap player in the market (which they probably won't because everybody values OT's), it's best to stick with what they have, instead of blowing draft picks for half-year loan players....no matter how good they are. Shanahan can adjust his line to help out whomever is there...and if they keep emphasizing the run, it will only make things easier.
A myth? Good lord you better put the bottle down and get some sleep