• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

LeBron James, Kawhi Leonard, and the Perpetual Joke NBA Free Agency Has Become

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's all he did was build the team around him with whatever he could find in free agency instead of biting the bullet. James demanded a "team around him" since day 1 and Gilbert complied with whatever he could throw together in free agency. Maybe if James didn't want to run the show from the get-go and they could go through some mediocrity instead of constantly drafting later then they would have had young talent around him.

So wait. You're suggesting that the best player in the world should have what? Thrown games? Sat out a bunch of games? Not tried to win?

Tank for a season or 2 so they could get higher draft picks so they didn't have to put a team around him via free agency. Really?!?

The draft isn't always the best way to build a team. Especially when you have a generational type player like Lebron. They had how many high draft picks between Lebron leaving and his return? They got Kyrie and not much else.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Never understood the concept of owners getting way too involved with team decisions as it related to which players to scout, draft, sign, etc.. You're paying a guy to make these decisions. You'd think that you'd want to be able to let him do his job and properly evaluate him. The minute you start interferring is the minute where you can't look that person straight in the face when you fire them..

Exactly. I understand wanting to be involved...but as you said, you're paying someone to do that. If the owner is going to involve themselves like that, then save the money you're spending on a GM and take the criticism and/or praise that comes with how bad/good you perform.

That's what made Dr. Buss such a good owner. He believed in hiring the best people he could find and letting them do their jobs. He always had final say, but really only involved himself when they needed a "closer".

Apparently it's been leaked that the Cavs had a trade for PG all set to go, but Gilbert wouldn't let Griffin pull the trigger because he didn't get a commitment from Lebron. If true, that might be the dumbest thing I've heard yet.

First of all, getting him likely increases the chances that Lebron stays. Even if he doesn't, PG would be a pretty good piece to add to when starting a rebuild. Even if PG left too, you can say you did everything you could to keep Lebron and start the same rebuild you were going to have to go through anyway.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So wait. You're suggesting that the best player in the world should have what? Thrown games? Sat out a bunch of games? Not tried to win?

Tank for a season or 2 so they could get higher draft picks so they didn't have to put a team around him via free agency. Really?!?

The draft isn't always the best way to build a team. Especially when you have a generational type player like Lebron. They had how many high draft picks between Lebron leaving and his return? They got Kyrie and not much else.

3 No. 1 overall picks and a No. 4 pick in a 4 year stretch got them Kyrie and Kevin Love.

Heatles84

Hoopla Cash
$ 654.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Exactly. I understand wanting to be involved...but as you said, you're paying someone to do that. If the owner is going to involve themselves like that, then save the money you're spending on a GM and take the criticism and/or praise that comes with how bad/good you perform.

That's what made Dr. Buss such a good owner. He believed in hiring the best people he could find and letting them do their jobs. He always had final say, but really only involved himself when they needed a "closer".

Apparently it's been leaked that the Cavs had a trade for PG all set to go, but Gilbert wouldn't let Griffin pull the trigger because he didn't get a commitment from Lebron. If true, that might be the dumbest thing I've heard yet.

First of all, getting him likely increases the chances that Lebron stays. Even if he doesn't, PG would be a pretty good piece to add to when starting a rebuild. Even if PG left too, you can say you did everything you could to keep Lebron and start the same rebuild you were going to have to go through anyway.

I didn't think of all the permutations of the bolded, but you're absolutely right.

In the end, Gilbert could literally say he did everything in his power to try and convince Lebron to stay.

If you had Kyrie and George to team with Lebron, you're going to be competitive with Golden State.

By not doing that, you basically conceded defeat. And by that, you allowed Lebron to voluntarily walk.

Cleveland will not be in title contention for a very long time. Or at least while Gilbert is the owner, because as far as I know, there are no other players in the pipeline right now at least in HS that are from Ohio dying to play for the Cavs.

Heatles84

Hoopla Cash
$ 654.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
3 No. 1 overall picks and a No. 4 pick in a 4 year stretch got them Kyrie and Kevin Love.

And no team will *likely* have that draft lottery success in a 4-year span again.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And no team will *likely* have that draft lottery success in a 4-year span again.

They did get super lucky. Hard to imagine another team getting that lucky.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They did get super lucky. Hard to imagine another team getting that lucky.

Nobody is getting 3 1s,

But OKC drafted KD, Russ, Harden and Ibaka. They clearly hit better on their picks than Cleveland did even though none were 1. GS drafted Curry, Klay and Draymond.

Teams can and will draft better player than what Cleveland did, just not at 1.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nobody is getting 3 1s,

But OKC drafted KD, Russ, Harden and Ibaka. They clearly hit better on their picks than Cleveland did even though none were 1. GS drafted Curry, Klay and Draymond.

Teams can and will draft better player than what Cleveland did, just not at 1.

Oh no doubt about that. Draymond Green was a franchise altering type pick given where he was drafted.

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Beggars can't be choosers?

You realize the return suggested in the OP actually has negative trade value, right?

if this were actually the Spurs best offer they would be better off keeping him and letting him walk. But they could get Brandon Ingram today if they want. They could probably get Covington, Saric and a pick today. So yes, while the Spurs don't exactly have a ton of leverage, they aren't accepting a steaming pile of cow dung in return for their disgruntled superstar.
Season doesn't start for two months though, so I disagree with the bullshit that the Spurs are beggars. I agree that they are smarter to trade the guy, but that does not make them separate. They can keep Leonard around as well if he wants that route

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Never understood the concept of owners getting way too involved with team decisions as it related to which players to scout, draft, sign, etc.. You're paying a guy to make these decisions. You'd think that you'd want to be able to let him do his job and properly evaluate him. The minute you start interferring is the minute where you can't look that person straight in the face when you fire them.
It's their money

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It has also been leaked that the same lack of commitment from Lebron caused Paul George to not be willing to sign an extension.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It has also been leaked that the same lack of commitment from Lebron caused Paul George to not be willing to sign an extension.

Which makes it seem less likely that PG stayed in OKC because he didn't want to play with Lebron, imo.

Heatles84

Hoopla Cash
$ 654.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's their money

Yes, I understand that. But why hire people for a job, if you're just going to interfere? Successful people allow smart people to do their thing and not be micromanaged; that's my point.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Which makes it seem less likely that PG stayed in OKC because he didn't want to play with Lebron, imo.

Yeah, it had nothing to do with Lebron. It was about being comfortable with Russ and being in OKC. If that's what he wants, good for him.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

no.

what would have happend is that LeBron would have walked. AS soon as LeBron walked George would have walked (its not like he was signed up long term)- and then you would have owed multiple totally unprotected picks to Indiana and been in a Nets situation.

its clear that LeBron went to LA for non-basketball decisions at this point which i think is very surprising to us all.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, it had nothing to do with Lebron. It was about being comfortable with Russ and being in OKC. If that's what he wants, good for him.

Yep. As I've posted before, he has said from the moment he landed that OKC has done an amazing job of making him feel welcome and comfortable.

Good on them for selling him on OKC and good on Westbrook for learning his lesson and changing his tune from "I don't recruit" to doing everything he could to get him to stay.

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, I understand that. But why hire people for a job, if you're just going to interfere? Successful people allow smart people to do their thing and not be micromanaged; that's my point.
That's a tough call, but to me Any organization Should be bigger than one man. What makes an organization great is great team work, so I for one prefer to have blessings of my boss when performing a job so that o know we are headed in the right direction.

Think of it this way. what would you do if you were in the position of hiring people that might not be nearly as trustworthy as your wife or children? I think I would want to watch the mine, but try to let then do their job. When I have ever hired people to work for, I have neve
That's all he did was build the team around him with whatever he could find in free agency instead of biting the bullet. James demanded a "team around him" since day 1 and Gilbert complied with whatever he could throw together in free agency. Maybe if James didn't want to run the show from the get-go and they could go through some mediocrity instead of constantly drafting later then they would have had young talent around him.
If you had read the details surrounding LeBron's signature move to the Lakers, then you would know that LeBron's camp had the plan in mind that he would like to surround himself with some other players that can create their own shot and take some of the stress off of him because HE UNDERSTANDS THAT HE CAN'T CONTIUE DOING IT FOREVER. Magic Johnson, however presented LeBron with the vision Magic has and LeBron signed off on it. Magic's vision is to put LeBron back into the forward position doing less and put players around him that can play defense, create their shot and move the ball so that LeBron no longer has to do everything - Magic had a completely different idea which I cannot do justice in describing - so while some of you in here are blaming LeBron for trying to do to much - LeBron knows that already and he likes Magic's vision.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Holy Shit - You're a fucked up piece of shit - Go Fuck yourself pig

e31.jpg