• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Lebron: "I was ready to hand Kyrie the keys to the Cavs"

PEOPLESCHICKEN

Dysfunctional Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

PEOPLESCHICKEN

Dysfunctional Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pffft, that was awesome

Kyrie owns a ring because of Lebron, and he's been nothing but a whiny little crybaby that mocks Lebron......

Lebron is crazy like a fox, his intentional language was awesome

Kyrie is and always be a ME player, just wait till he gets a taste of Gordon Hayward being the golden boy in Boston
Which explains why there are nipping at each other like two 13 year old girls..both are selfish egomaniacs.

gordontrue

Bandwagoner
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,550.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
lol, a lot of confirmation bias going on in this thread.

I thought his answer was candid, respectful, and pretty even-keeled. But that's probably just my confirmation bias.

CitySushi

Andrew Wiggin's burner account
Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I thought his answer was candid, respectful, and pretty even-keeled. But that's probably just my confirmation bias.

Nothing Lebron does is not without some level of thoughtfulness. He's always about public perception and it would serve in his best interest to say he was willing to defer. Whether or not he was actually willing to do so is another thing entirely.

Lebron is still the best player in the world. You don't ask the best player in the world to take a backseat to anyone. Hell if Lebron, KD, Steph, Anthony Davis and Kawhi Leonard were all on the same team, Lebron is still the guy you want with the ball in his hands as much as possible.

Kyrie wasn't going to get a real opportunity to be the lead dog on that team until Lebron declined significantly. Even then, it's not a sure thing that Lebron would relinquish any hold on his alpha role. It's in his DNA. Same way that when MJ played for the Wizards. He was a shell of himself, but he still acted as the alpha instead of helping his guys develop their games. I feel Lebron would be similar.

At the end of the day, the goal is to win games and win a championship. In Lebron's mind, do you think there is a better option for him to win than with someone other than him driving the ship? Not a chance in my mind and deservedly so.

Gman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Even the repetition of LeBron referring to Kyrie as "kid"?

It wasn't a slip... he did it over and over. How can you interpret that as anything other than him trying to needle and disrespect Kyrie?

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i dont know about you...

but i havent been this giddy since i literally fell out of my chair at work, when my entire office exploded that we got KG.
tumblr_ne5mnwFrQa1qa8sljo1_500.gif

gordontrue

Bandwagoner
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,550.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Even the repetition of LeBron referring to Kyrie as "kid"?

It wasn't a slip... he did it over and over. How can you interpret that as anything other than him trying to needle and disrespect Kyrie?

Kyrie was 20 years old when their relationship started and LeBron was an established top-10 player of all time. LeBron has always seen himself as the mentor/teacher in the relationship, even though I don't think Kyrie has.

I don't doubt that that might bother Kyrie... but I don't see it as intentionally disrespectful at all. Listen to the rest of what LeBron is saying, he hopes Kyrie does well, he hopes he did a good job of teaching him and setting him up for his future.

gordontrue

Bandwagoner
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,550.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nothing Lebron does is not without some level of thoughtfulness. He's always about public perception and it would serve in his best interest to say he was willing to defer. Whether or not he was actually willing to do so is another thing entirely.

Lebron is still the best player in the world. You don't ask the best player in the world to take a backseat to anyone. Hell if Lebron, KD, Steph, Anthony Davis and Kawhi Leonard were all on the same team, Lebron is still the guy you want with the ball in his hands as much as possible.

Kyrie wasn't going to get a real opportunity to be the lead dog on that team until Lebron declined significantly. Even then, it's not a sure thing that Lebron would relinquish any hold on his alpha role. It's in his DNA. Same way that when MJ played for the Wizards. He was a shell of himself, but he still acted as the alpha instead of helping his guys develop their games. I feel Lebron would be similar.

At the end of the day, the goal is to win games and win a championship. In Lebron's mind, do you think there is a better option for him to win than with someone other than him driving the ship? Not a chance in my mind and deservedly so.

Sure... but where did LeBron say I was ready to hand over the keys this season?

People are viewing this in the prism of "LeBron is leaving the Cavs soon"... but yesterday LeBron said nothing has changed in terms of wanting to be a Cav till he retires. That's the context this was all said under.

Listen to the rest of what LeBron was saying. He was talking long-term. He talked about trying to be a good mentor to Kyrie, tried to teach him what he learned, saw him grow a lot, was prepared to hand over they keys. I don't think its disingenuous at all... especially when you look at the way that LeBron values the mentors he's had in his life and his career.

Rock Strongo

My mind spits with an enormous kickback.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kyrie was 20 years old when their relationship started and LeBron was an established top-10 player of all time. LeBron has always seen himself as the mentor/teacher in the relationship, even though I don't think Kyrie has.

I don't doubt that that might bother Kyrie... but I don't see it as intentionally disrespectful at all. Listen to the rest of what LeBron is saying, he hopes Kyrie does well, he hopes he did a good job of teaching him and setting him up for his future.
i would if someone called me "kid".

gordontrue

Bandwagoner
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,550.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i would if someone called me "kid".

You're probably not 24. And it really just depends on who it is. For me, if its someone significantly older than me that I view as a mentor, it wouldn't bother me one bit.

Rock Strongo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're probably not 24. And it really just depends on who it is. For me, if its someone significantly older than me that I view as a mentor, it wouldn't bother me one bit.
i did when i was 24.

LogicMan

Watch out for Berniedoodles and Trumpers
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I will maintain Kyrie's departure was a little of everything. He truly got sheet lucky in the end.

Gman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I can't say I agree with you.

We can all agree that LeBron isn't stupid. He shouldn't be and wouldn't be unknowing of the fact that publicly referring to Irving as "kid", over and over, would be a needle.

Even given the context you outline above... the mere fact that LeBron knows it would bother Kyrie would be enough to let LeBron know he probably shouldn't do it.

But he did it all the same.

That takes away from any positive words LeBron may have said around his various "kid" jabs... and, frankly, those words came across more as self-congratulatory to me... a way to build James up as a 'mentor who tried and tried' more than anything else.

Rock Strongo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh I'm sorry, but Wyc Grousbeck has already claimed the Celtics. Try again sport.
PS thats a horribly misguided group of teams ya got there, sport.

pick one city, pick one cities teams.