• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

LeBron FA saga is old to say the least; He need to man up...

Heatles84

Hoopla Cash
$ 654.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Again, you guys are missing the point.

The NBA was in control of the Hornets, and they never should have been. If the trade had been made with any other franchise, Stern stays out of the way for sure.

Stern was forced to act because he knew that trading a superstar for 3-4 solid players is a terrible way to build a team. The Hornets were clearly headed toward a rebuild and they needed to hit the reset button, not collect a bunch of average joes.

Of course Laker fans were upset because they were clear winners of this deal. Stern put an incompetent in charge of the team and then was forced into a bad position when the incompetent made a terrible move for the Hornets future. 2 high lotto picks + Gordon is ALOT more attractive to a potential buyer than Scola, Odom, etc.

But again, the issue was that the NBA was controlling the team to begin with.

Everyone knew that something was going to happen. At the time, everyone agreed that this was a fair trade for all parties, as NO was going to lose CP3 anyway - might as well get pieces back for him. No one knew that the Hornets would land the number 1 pick which would net Anthony Davis who turned out to be a stud. In hindsight, it's so easy to say that yeah that trade wouldn't have worked out given that Lamar Odom fell off the wagon and Scola's skills quickly diminished.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Everyone knew that something was going to happen. At the time, everyone agreed that this was a fair trade for all parties, as NO was going to lose CP3 anyway - might as well get pieces back for him. No one knew that the Hornets would land the number 1 pick which would net Anthony Davis who turned out to be a stud. In hindsight, it's so easy to say that yeah that trade wouldn't have worked out given that Lamar Odom fell off the wagon and Scola's skills quickly diminished.

Everyone did not agree. Many people thought it was a shitty deal for the Hornets because they would have had no future with that roster. Being mediocre without up and coming talent is the worst possible place to be stuck for an NBA team. Making a non-playoff team marginally better while getting older is the worst possible thing they could do.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Again, you guys are missing the point.

The NBA was in control of the Hornets, and they never should have been. If the trade had been made with any other franchise, Stern stays out of the way for sure.

Stern was forced to act because he knew that trading a superstar for 3-4 solid players is a terrible way to build a team. The Hornets were clearly headed toward a rebuild and they needed to hit the reset button, not collect a bunch of average joes.

Here's the problem. You are correct, the league never should have been in the position of owning a team. However, they were, and because they were, they had an obligation to treat the Hornets no differently than they would treat any other team.

The bold is where the problem is. If Stern would not have used his powers as commissioner to veto that trade if the league didn't own the team, he had no business doing so when they did. If, while acting as owner, he simply said "No" to the trade, it's likely that no one knows that the trade was even discussed.

That's not what he did though. He allowed the trade to reach the point where it was announced publicly, then when Cuban and Gilbert threw their bitch fits, he decided as commissioner to do what he wouldn't have done for any other team and vetoes the trade.

Bad trades have happened virtually every single year since the league was formed and I can't think of another time where the league took this kind of action.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's the problem. You are correct, the league never should have been in the position of owning a team. However, they were, and because they were, they had an obligation to treat the Hornets no differently than they would treat any other team.

The bold is where the problem is. If Stern would not have used his powers as commissioner to veto that trade if the league didn't own the team, he had no business doing so when they did. If, while acting as owner, he simply said "No" to the trade, it's likely that no one knows that the trade was even discussed.

That's not what he did though. He allowed the trade to reach the point where it was announced publicly, then when Cuban and Gilbert threw their bitch fits, he decided as commissioner to do what he wouldn't have done for any other team and vetoes the trade.

Bad trades have happened virtually every single year since the league was formed and I can't think of another time where the league took this kind of action.

I don't disagree. The whole thing was handled terribly. Still, Stern had a huge conflict of interest. That Laker deal would have crushed the Pelicans' team value. Stern literally could not afford to let that happen.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't disagree. The whole thing was handled terribly. Still, Stern had a huge conflict of interest. That Laker deal would have crushed the Pelicans' team value. Stern literally could not afford to let that happen.
lol....oh they HATE Gilbert....it really should come as no surprise all the hate the CAvs receive from Heat and Lakers fans...

Heatles84

Hoopla Cash
$ 654.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
lol....oh they HATE Gilbert....it really should come as no surprise all the hate the CAvs receive from Heat and Lakers fans...

It's okay, our team's have a combined 19 titles (thanks for inflating those numbers, Lakers fans(16)). Dan Gilbert makes it up indirectly when his team continues the Cleveland curse.

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's okay, our team's have a combined 19 titles (thanks for inflating those numbers, Lakers fans(16)). Dan Gilbert makes it up indirectly when his team continues the Cleveland curse.

Heck I'm not even entirely convincedcCleveland makes it to the finals this year

TurnUpTheHeat

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Pointing out what a hypocrite Gilbert is, isn't hate.
It's fact.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Heck I'm not even entirely convinced Cleveland makes it to the finals this year

I'm not either. Obviously, if I'm betting real money, I'm putting it on the Cavs to emerge from the East. However, I wouldn't be at all shocked if the Cavs got knocked out in an earlier round. I don't think they are the lock they were earlier in the year.

HurricaneDij39

The Middle of Everywhere: NWI
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
New Orleans has been doing so great since the trade right? They could very well be in a better position now if that trade was allowed. That's speculation for sure, but so is claiming they would have been mediocre for life.

I'd take my chances at a chance in the Anthony Davis lottery over having a washed up Lamar Odom, Luis Scola, and Kevin Martin. :doh:

All day any day.

Heatles84

Hoopla Cash
$ 654.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, because obsessively hating on Gilbert (who doesn't even make the basketball decisions) just because he lured away your star player is such a more ballsy thing to do. Good call.

I ain't going nowhere. I just ask you to get a life loser.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcScOy3R_E5sAOHV7lV716qJXUz7OXbew30qMgsOEwgAgVqcMQxn3Q.jpg

lakersrule

ANUSTART
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The Lakers deal would not have crushed the Pelican's team value at all. Absolutely no impact. Again, Stern was in favor of the deal. He didn't find out about it only when the team's announced it. He was well aware of the trade, but two owners were butthurt that the Lakers could get CP3 and decrease payroll. It had nothing to do with franchise value.

lakersrule

ANUSTART
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd take my chances at a chance in the Anthony Davis lottery over having a washed up Lamar Odom, Luis Scola, and Kevin Martin. :doh:

All day any day.

Were they washed up at the time? No. Ultimately it worked out good because they drafted Anthony Davis. Would they be in better position now if the Lakers traded did happen? Who knows. That's speculative.

Funny how people treat this trade in hindsight, yet the Pau trade still gets eviscerated even though things worked out pretty good for Memphis. Lakers haters are funny.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

All day any day.
EXACTLY.....

one of the funniest things about the deal is that N.O. did not even get Gasol! lol....so- the team getting the 3rd best player in the trade and taking on a TON of money- gave up CP3? HAHA....never would happen and thats why the "owners" of the team decided it was against their best interest---- which it definitely was. This is why you dont let coaches/gm's on the hot seat make deals that might help benefit their own careers in their short term- but hurt the franchise very much in the long term.

but- what ever at this point....its ancient history.

HurricaneDij39

The Middle of Everywhere: NWI
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Were they washed up at the time? No. Ultimately it worked out good because they drafted Anthony Davis. Would they be in better position now if the Lakers traded did happen? Who knows. That's speculative.

Funny how people treat this trade in hindsight, yet the Pau trade still gets eviscerated even though things worked out pretty good for Memphis. Lakers haters are funny.

I never said anything about the Pau trade. Speak for yourself.

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
why is Gilbert a hypocrite?

I'm guessing Because he built a Super Team.

I don't even really remember what Cuban nor Gilbert said on the matter.

I just remember being happy that things went in my Team's favor.

lakersrule

ANUSTART
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I never said anything about the Pau trade. Speak for yourself.

More than likely you have. I never specifically said you did though.

Can you clarify the washed up comment?

2010/2011 Stats
Scola: 18.3 PPG, 8.2 RPG
Odom: 14.4 PPG, 8.7 RPG, reigning Sixth Man of the Year
Martin: 23.5 PPG

The trade also netted New Orleans Goran Dragic and a 2012 1st rounder. The Clippers deal was marginally better at the time and only really proved better when they ended up with the #1 overall pick. New Orleans has been tearing the league up since. Wait, they haven't?

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm guessing Because he built a Super Team.

I don't even really remember what Cuban nor Gilbert said on the matter.

I just remember being happy that things went in my Team's favor.
as long as he is paying the extremely punitive luxury tax that was designed to limit super teams i dont see what the issue is. Hes playing by the rules that he and the other owners instituted- never outside of them. If other ownerse are too cheap to field their own "super teams" under the new system - or conversely- if we hae super rich owners (like Dan) that show a willingness to do so then more power to them.