• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

latest offseason news

dmc0015

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
From mlbtraderumors:
•The Yankees did post a bid, according to ESPN.com's Buster Olney (Twitter link).
•The Rays did not bid, according to Marc Topkin of the St. Petersburg Times (on Twitter).
•The Angels did not bid on Darvish, according to MLB.com's Alden Gonzalez (on Twitter).
•Three MLB executives speculated that the Blue Jays and Rangers are candidates to win the bidding for Darvish, according to ESPN.com's Buster Olney (on Twitter).
•The Twins did not bid on Darvish, according to Joe Christensen of the Minneapolis Star Tribune (on Twitter).
•The Red Sox did not bid on Darvish, according to Nick Cafardo of the Boston Globe (on Twitter).
•At least one team submitted a bid on Darvish, according to Jack Curry of the YES Network (on Twitter). Nippon, which doesn't know the identity of the MLB team that won the bidding, must decide whether to accept the high bid by Tuesday.
•One MLB official expects an announcement regarding the winning bid tonight or tomorrow morning, tweets Adam Kilgore of the Washington Post.
•The Orioles are not bidding on Darvish, Roch Kubatko of MASNsports.com reports (on Twitter).
•Darvish has more leverage than any previous player coming from Japan to MLB, one executive tells Yahoo's Jeff Passan, because the righty seems willing to stay with the Fighters. In October, my poll of five agents and one team executive showed that they felt he has the leverage to extract a five or six-year deal worth $72-75MM from the winning team, on top of a posting fee for the Fighters ranging from $30-55MM. Passan's survey of six executives suggests the Rangers and Blue Jays are favorites for Darvish and the Nationals, Yankees, and Mariners may submit bids. Darvish appears to have a strong preference for the West Coast. Passan feels that the higher the posting fee gets, the less likely Darvish is to sign.

dmc0015

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I would say the Rangers bid would fall in the $20-30 million range, if they bid at all. Will that be enough? Who knows, but I did see an interesting note there that said the higher the fee the less likely he would be to sign. Not sure how to break that down.

dmc0015

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
•Jeff Passan of Yahoo! Sports reports (on Twitter) that the Fighters plan to accept the posting bid no matter how large it is.
•The Nippon Ham Fighters were very excited by how large the high bid was according to Danny Knobler of CBSSports.com (on Twitter). Still no word on the the money, though.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
•Jeff Passan of Yahoo! Sports reports (on Twitter) that the Fighters plan to accept the posting bid no matter how large it is.
•The Nippon Ham Fighters were very excited by how large the high bid was according to Danny Knobler of CBSSports.com (on Twitter). Still no word on the the money, though.

I have a feeling that rules the rangers out. I don't see them posting 50+ million dollar bid. I hope I'm overestimating the "very pleasantly surprised" part of that story and the rangers got him with a 20-30 million dollar bid, but the bluejays are sitting on a pile of money.

The marlins could sneak in to it too.

dmc0015

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I have a feeling that rules the rangers out. I don't see them posting 50+ million dollar bid. I hope I'm overestimating the "very pleasantly surprised" part of that story and the rangers got him with a 20-30 million dollar bid, but the bluejays are sitting on a pile of money.

I'm with you. Someone is going to bid in the $40 million range.

dmc0015

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
On a side note, Josh Hamilton has morphed in to Jerry Jones:

"I think when you're family is happy and your wife and kids are really settled, everyone is happy," Hamilton said. "For the first time in all of our lives, we feel like we're at a place where it's home. We're finally settled. I think that's a big deal, especially as the kids get older. It's been great since we've been here. The fans have been unbelievable. It's been fun. It is fun. Hopefully, it continues to be fun."

dmc0015

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
And Jon Heyman and Buster Olney are going to war:

•The Yankees' bid is modest, according to Jon Heyman of CBSSports.com (on Twitter). Indications are the winning bid is "sky high."

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm with you. Someone is going to bid in the $40 million range.

Hard to say. Teams may be very cautious about giving a bundle of money for him given the results with matsui for example.

My guess on why Darvish is less likely to accept a contract if the bid is very high is Darvish doesn't have to be posted next year and can take all the money thrown down as a FA.

Dammit, why does Tuesday seem so far away?

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And Jon Heyman and Buster Olney are going to war:

•The Yankees' bid is modest, according to Jon Heyman of CBSSports.com (on Twitter). Indications are the winning bid is "sky high."

Don't see that being Texas unless they really believe he is that good.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On a side note, Josh Hamilton has morphed in to Jerry Jones:

"I think when you're family is happy and your wife and kids are really settled, everyone is happy," Hamilton said. "For the first time in all of our lives, we feel like we're at a place where it's home. We're finally settled. I think that's a big deal, especially as the kids get older. It's been great since we've been here. The fans have been unbelievable. It's been fun. It is fun. Hopefully, it continues to be fun."

What do you mean by the Jerry jones comment?

Xx srs bsns xX

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,409.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hard to say. Teams may be very cautious about giving a bundle of money for him given the results with matsui for example.

My guess on why Darvish is less likely to accept a contract if the bid is very high is Darvish doesn't have to be posted next year and can take all the money thrown down as a FA.

Dammit, why does Tuesday seem so far away?

They have until Tuesday to accept it... once its accepted... it'll go viral within minutes. Might know by tonight or tomorrow...

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They have until Tuesday to accept it... once its accepted... it'll go viral within minutes. Might know by tonight or tomorrow...

If they like the bid that much I can't imagine them waiting that long.

By the way rep to dmc for keeping us all up to date.

Last edited by a moderator:

dmc0015

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
•The Marlins did not bid on Darvish, according to Clark Spencer of the Miami Herald (on Twitter).

This surprises me a bit. Thought they might be the team to sneak in with a huge bid.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
•The Marlins did not bid on Darvish, according to Clark Spencer of the Miami Herald (on Twitter).

This surprises me a bit. Thought they might be the team to sneak in with a huge bid.

Maybe Nolan and company will surprise the hell out of us. Maybe it won't take 50million. I just wanna know dammit!

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The marlins could sneak in to it too.

Originally Posted by dmc0015 View Post

it seems to leave the Blue Jays and the Rangers because all the normal suspects have dropped out

Last edited by a moderator:

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Originally Posted by dmc0015 View Post

it seems to leave the Blue Jays and the Rangers because all the normal suspects have dropped out

Th Yankees did post a bid. They could be sleepers here with a big bid.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Th Yankees did post a bid. They could be sleepers here with a big bid.

The Yankees' bid is modest, according to Jon Heyman of CBSSports.com (on Twitter). Indications are the winning bid is "sky high."