• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Last Play to Crabtree

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My guess is this: the number 1 option was to Crabs, and there was nothing that Kap saw that would cause him to go elsewhere, like getting help up at the line. He got a good release, then it was manno a manno. You don't come off your number 1 option if it is playing out the way you want, just because someone else might be more open.

I would bet 100 bucks the coaches would have been 100% behind his decision to throw it there. It was shot to let your playmaker win the game. At worst the thinking would have been we just go to second and ten. Anyone heard any of the coaches asked about this? Of course, you might not get a real answer anyway.

Do you think Seattle avoided taking away that play because they knew that we were going to do that or knew that Sherman would win that? Or do you think they were surprised but Sherman made a play? It seems that they didn't care about Patton or Davis or Gore. They didn't care about the check down they just wanted to stop us before the end zone.

zman1527

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Do you think Seattle avoided taking away that play because they knew that we were going to do that or knew that Sherman would win that? Or do you think they were surprised but Sherman made a play? It seems that they didn't care about Patton or Davis or Gore. They didn't care about the check down they just wanted to stop us before the end zone.

I think you are right about not worrying about the others. It could be harder to get in the end zone from the 5 than the 18 with the compressed field. I think they would have had confidence in Sherman defending it, but it sure took a super play on his part to do it. Ball was in Crabs mitts otherwise and we win.

yossarian

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Watch the video in this article. I think Patton, Boldin, and Davis were all open. FUCK ME.
Y! SPORTS

I figured Ray if you were tough enough to watch it again I could too. What surprised me in re watching was how many outstanding throws he did make, he did throw it to Gore in the middle, he made some perfect throws. This just makes me think even more that before the last play Harbaugh should have called timeout to make sure they were all on the same page and Kaep did not lock in, and the other players were all open.

FUCK

yossarian

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think you are right about not worrying about the others. It could be harder to get in the end zone from the 5 than the 18 with the compressed field. I think they would have had confidence in Sherman defending it, but it sure took a super play on his part to do it. Ball was in Crabs mitts otherwise and we win.

I just am not sure I agree with that. The ball at the 5 with what 30 seconds left and all our timeouts and a first and goal? We could have run a couple of times from there -- or had Kaep keep it and try to run in at least once and call timeouts if we got stuffed.

smackdown380

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Just curious, but in college did Kaep read through his progressions?

bvanthielriceyoung

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

One thing I didn't notice on the last play was just how badly Davis was beat. This could've impacted the play.

Last edited by a moderator:

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

He doesn't need to. Didn't you hear both Harbaugh and Kaepernick say that this was a great call and they'd throw it up to Crabtree anytime if they had to do it over again.

zman1527

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I just am not sure I agree with that. The ball at the 5 with what 30 seconds left and all our timeouts and a first and goal? We could have run a couple of times from there -- or had Kaep keep it and try to run in at least once and call timeouts if we got stuffed.

Okay, maybe I was a bit over the top on that. But I would say that you could only get the play they ran from about the 18 or further, otherwise there is not time to get the ball there before the end zone runs out. So I can see that as a play they really like and wanted to take a shot for the end zone with it before worrying about getting it closer. I would (pure guess again) believe they were thinking that play gave them as good a chance to win the game as any other they could come up with.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

One thing I didn't notice on the last play was just how badly Davis was beat. This could've impacted the play.

Also, Crabs was covered the entire time Kaep was pulling the trigger. He made his mind before the snap and forced it anyway. TERRIBLE

Last edited by a moderator:

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ask NinerSickness. He seems to think Kaep was the only one who made mistakes last night! :laugh3:

Everyone made mistakes. But when the defense is asked to defend a short field two-three, six points is a pretty good defense. If we had held the Giants to three points on the first of two punt return fumbles, we would have been in the Super Bowl. (Of course, there are other whatifs on the offense.)

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He doesn't need to. Didn't you hear both Harbaugh and Kaepernick say that this was a great call and they'd throw it up to Crabtree anytime if they had to do it over again.

Maybe they knew that one on one meant the ball is going there. If they had doubled Crabtree would they have got it to someone else?

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Not much. The Pistol was kind of a read and react, quick hit offense. Especially at altitude in Mackay Stadium, where opponents are not conditioned to the thinner air.

tomikcon1971

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Disclaimer: I DO NOT claim to be an expert in NFL offenses. I'm also lukewarm on Kaep.

That being said.....I haven't seen ANYONE (besides Dick S) roasting Kaep on the football shows about the final INT. Jaws, Brunell, and several others said if you get one on one you go after it. They had no problem with the decision but the throw was not ideal. Not agreeing or disagreeing just throwing it out there.

Also, I'm sure I haven't read or watched everything.

zman1527

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Disclaimer: I DO NOT claim to be an expert in NFL offenses. I'm also lukewarm on Kaep.

That being said.....I haven't seen ANYONE (besides Dick S) roasting Kaep on the football shows about the final INT. Jaws, Brunell, and several others said if you get one on one you go after it. They had no problem with the decision but the throw was not ideal. Not agreeing or disagreeing just throwing it out there.

Also, I'm sure I haven't read or watched everything.

Throw was not ideal, and Sherman made an incredible play to get a hand on it, and they got incredibly lucky to have their guy there to catch it. A trifecta.

That is what I have been saying all along: I think the NIners coaches, Kap, Crabs got exactly what they wanted out of the play from the start. One on one, throw it and let your guy go get it. Sherman just beat us, dats all. The decisions by Kap were fine.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Ask NinerSickness. He seems to think Kaep was the only one who made mistakes last night! :laugh3:

No he made a ton of mistakes. He only did one thing to show that he's an absolute retard when it comes to playing the QB position, and that will never change. His brain is fully developed by now.

maniax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Kap has to lose his man-crush on Crabtree.

To quote:
"I had a one-on-one matchup with 'Crab,'" Kaepernick said of the play. "I'll take that any time."

That is stupid. I would NOT take Crab one on one anytime. I would especially NOT take Crabtree one on one matched up with arguably the best CB in the league with the game on the line. Look for a mismatch someone else. You have Boldin, Vernon, maybe Gore on a checkdown, and if all else fails use your legs and take off.

Why why why force it to Crabtree one on one, anytime?

We lost two HUGE games because of this mentality when the game is on the line. Crabtree is NOT Calvin Johnson. If we had Calvin friggin Johnson then go ahead and say "I'll take Calvin any time one-on-one" and I'll agree with you. Or Jimmy Graham. Otherwise it's reality check time if you think Crabtree can beat elite CBs one-on-one, anytime.

The coaching staff should take Crabtree OUT of the game with 30 seconds left and put in the "Jumbo" package. :-) Maybe it's best if we let Crabtree walk.

FourBeeDen

Semi Lurker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Also, Crabs was covered the entire time Kaep was pulling the trigger. He made his mind before the snap and forced it anyway. TERRIBLE

I don't think anyone has brought this up but ever wonder why the LB was so close to the play to be able to catch the ricochet for an INT???.. Kaep made a pre-snap decision to go to Crabtree... Fine, but what he also did was not to look off to the left during his drop back... By looking towards Crabtree the whole time, the LB dropped back into that area... had he look off first, the LB would have stayed in the zone he was in... Great play by Sherman.. Good hustle by the LB

zman1527

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Kap has to lose his man-crush on Crabtree.

To quote:
"I had a one-on-one matchup with 'Crab,'" Kaepernick said of the play. "I'll take that any time."

That is stupid. I would NOT take Crab one on one anytime. I would especially NOT take Crabtree one on one matched up with arguably the best CB in the league with the game on the line. Look for a mismatch someone else. You have Boldin, Vernon, maybe Gore on a checkdown, and if all else fails use your legs and take off.

Why why why force it to Crabtree one on one, anytime?

We lost two HUGE games because of this mentality when the game is on the line. Crabtree is NOT Calvin Johnson. If we had Calvin friggin Johnson then go ahead and say "I'll take Calvin any time one-on-one" and I'll agree with you. Or Jimmy Graham. Otherwise it's reality check time if you think Crabtree can beat elite CBs one-on-one, anytime.

The coaching staff should take Crabtree OUT of the game with 30 seconds left and put in the "Jumbo" package. :-) Maybe it's best if we let Crabtree walk.

I personally believe that the coaching staff have the exact same viewpoint on this as Kap and that he did exactly what they wanted. No way I can tell for sure, but Crabs is the "best pass catcher ever" according to the hc.

AU_Fever

The secret of getting ahead is getting started.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Crabs is the "best pass catcher ever" according to Harbaugh, but he has difficulty getting any separation. KaeperPICK definitely has a man-crush on Crabtree. Two years in a row they try to force the issue and both resulted in losses. Why not target Boldin in the redzone. The Ravens certainly did it last year in the Super Bowl.