• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Last nights game deciding face mask...good or bad call?

Was the right call made?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

whywork2

Archduke of Guacamole
Hoopla Cash
$ 381.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was rooting against the Pack and I thought it should have been called.

Maybe not as clear as you would like it because of the way Rodgers ducked his head but it looked like a facemask to me.
Thanks Ducky for the honest post. In all honesty if the play was the other way around I would have been pissed at the outcome but would have totally understood that it's highly likely that will get flagged. I would have been more pissed at my team and my coaches for letting any of the late game plays to occur. This was a game for Detroit's taking. They didn't need to hardly to anything to clinch a victory. This was probably every bit as bad as what the Packers did last year versus Seattle. A whole series of cluster fucks had to occur for that outcome, much the same as last year's championship game.

NEhomer

Hoopla Cash
$ 944.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Look at all video available and you will see that a ref from behind threw one and one with a front view off to the right side who had a clear view from the front 2 flags were thrown

If this was Brady and the Pats you'd take 180 view of it. Your statement is complete homerism.

LambeauLegs

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,938.22
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Finally saw the replay of the pass... I couldn't tell but where was the line of scrimmage? Rodgers went up pretty far... Then again he did back peddle a lot

The line of scrimmage was the 39 yard line and he threw from about the 36

LambeauLegs

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,938.22
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If this was Brady and the Pats you'd take 180 view of it. Your statement is complete homerism.

If two refs see the same play and both throw a flag on it we cant just be blaming this on THE REF the missed the call. It doesnt matter who the teams are it is what the refs see and 2 refs saw the same thing.

When the refs get in their little huddle to discuss the call there are 2 ref saying what they saw

whywork2

Archduke of Guacamole
Hoopla Cash
$ 381.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Except that if they don't make that call, the Lions win the game :L
I don't believe for one second that if that was a Patriot's game and it had any significance: home field, playoff birth, undefeated season, Super Bowl victory that you as Patriots fans would not think that should be called a penalty. If you state differently I'll simply state I don't believe you. Not that the game's significance was important to the call but if that were the case there would be a tremendous outcry from Patriot fan.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Except that if they don't make that call, the Lions win the game :L
Except if the lions played even decent defense they win the game. :L

mbhhofr

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
One thing that isn't mentioned. Could there not have been another penalty on that play? Rodgers was tackled by a hand pulling him down by his shoulder pad. Horse collar tackle, 15 yard penalty.

NEhomer

Hoopla Cash
$ 944.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't believe for one second that if that was a Patriot's game and it had any significance: home field, playoff birth, undefeated season, Super Bowl victory that you as Patriots fans would not think that should be called a penalty. If you state differently I'll simply state I don't believe you. Not that the game's significance was important to the call but if that were the case there would be a tremendous outcry from Patriot fan.

...and the same goes for you. If it was Brady and not Rodgers, you'd be saying no foul.

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The thread title sucks. It was not a "game deciding facemask."

Money

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You seem to have missed Rock's note at the very beginning of this thread.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Apples and oranges.
Not really. You make it sound that it was a forgone conclusion that the penalty gave them the win. All it did was give them another chance, a chance that was given by a play that occurred on the field. Even after the call, the Lions still had a chance to play defense, bat the ball down, intercept it, or otherwise prevent a 61 yard TD pass.

The penalty was a factor, but not the deciding cause of that loss. To think that way basically undermines every play that led up to that point. There are multiple things that had just as big of an impact on why the Lions lost that game that happened before that call (and after since they can't play basic defense).

So, that call did not cost them the game. Their play, or lack there of, cost them the game.

ducky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Except if the lions played even decent defense they win the game. :L

That was just the Lions being the Lions this year.

It was almost as if they had never practiced a hail mary defense before. Didn't have a single player standing on the goalline.

The funniest part of the hail mary....go check the replay. There is a Lions player standing on the 40 yard line right in front of the packers bench. 20 yards from Rodgers and 40 yards from the end zone. What exactly the hell is he doing there? There has to be a reason why the coaches sat him over there (I can't think of one). And then count the numbers on the field. 3 Lions rushing the passer, 6 Lions in the 2nd zone. 1 in no mans land in the video. That means there was one more Lion playing zone on the bottom side of the field that didn't run to the end zone. Why are they guarding the side line on an untimed down?

There are a lot of situations where I think coaches get unfairly blamed and fired because of lack of talent or players just not performing. But this Lions team is probably the most unprepared team I have seen from an NFL team in quite awhile. Caldwell has more than earned the pink slip that will be handed to him at the end of the season.

Last edited:

NEhomer

Hoopla Cash
$ 944.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cincy, you may dance around for another dozen posts if you'd like. You're correct that other factors may have decided the outcome but as it stands...FACT. The refs don't make that particular call, the Lions win the game.

...go ahead and deflect; I'll surrender.

Money

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The funniest part of the hail mary....go check the replay. There is a Lions player standing on the 40 yard line right in front of the packers bench. 20 yards from Rodgers and 40 yards from the end zone. What exactly the hell is he doing there?

There was also one on the other side doing the exact same thing.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cincy, you may dance around for another dozen posts if you'd like. You're correct that other factors may have decided the outcome but as it stands...FACT. The refs don't make that particular call, the Lions win the game.

...go ahead and deflect; I'll surrender.
Not a fact because it wasn't the last play of the game, and the Lions still had a chance to defend. But you can go on thinking you're right, though you're not. Doesn't bother me. Cheers.

Scooby-Doo

Ruh-roh
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rodgers was trying to make an evasive move to avoid the defender. He actually ducked his head into the defenders outstretched arm. The ref who threw the flag had no way of seeing if the face ask was actually grabbed or even touched. There is no way that flag should have been thrown. The ref was assuming the face mask was grabbed because of the way Rodgers was tackled. How an official can throw a flag at that point in the game based on an assumption is beyond me.

This point can't be argued because we all saw the replay and we all saw the facemask was never grabbed.