• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Last nights game deciding face mask...good or bad call?

Was the right call made?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Making that call, at that point would be the equivalent to them calling Pass Interference in the endzone on the Hail Mary.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's not exactly how it works. What would have been a 5 yard facemask penalty in the old days isn't a penalty at all anymore.

This was called a facemask because at live speed, everyone in the world thought he grabbed Rodgers' facemask and twisted his head around. I can't blame the ref for throwing the flag on that one.

As for correcting it, I'm still not crazy about allowing reviews for penalties, as most penalties are judgment calls. Sucks, but them's the breaks.

Game will take close to 4 hours if they're reviewing penalties. I would only allow penalties reviews in the final 2 minutes of the 4th and OT.

Trudem

He's no good to me dead!
Hoopla Cash
$ 350.34
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do any of you remember the game where the Packers were down by one score and on the last play of the game Aaron Rogers (who was on fire that game) threw a pass but there was a no-call on a facemask by a blitzing back? After the game Aaron didn't blame anybody and said the no-call was just a part of the game. Classy guy.
I remember it well. It was in OT against Arizona in the playoffs.

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wrong call was made ... Should a been reviewed since we have the technology to do that, but for some reason we don't use it...

Trudem

He's no good to me dead!
Hoopla Cash
$ 350.34
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Making that call, at that point would be the equivalent to them calling Pass Interference in the endzone on the Hail Mary.
Which should be called in some cases.

Hers's my take:
In real time everyone thought it was a face mask, even Taylor. Just look at his body language.
Looking at it frame by frame it still looks like the thumb hooked it a little but I admit it was a weak penalty. However if we look frame by frame and review stuff like this it will be just like the catch rule. No two crews see it the same way and what could be a catch/penalty to one ref isnt a catch/penalty to the other. Thats why they are judgement calls.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Which should be called in some cases.

Hers's my take:
In real time everyone thought it was a face mask, even Taylor. Just look at his body language.
Looking at it frame by frame it still looks like the thumb hooked it a little but I admit it was a weak penalty. However if we look frame by frame and review stuff like this it will be just like the catch rule. No two crews see it the same way and what could be a catch/penalty to one ref isnt a catch/penalty to the other. Thats why they are judgement calls.

True. But, there is a pass interference on every Hail Mary, ever. It is just generally accepted that there is no way they can blow the whistle and call that at THAT point of the game. Too decisive on the outcome.

I guess they prolly called it right, I just don't like the idea of rewarding them there. Just another Bailout call in a long list of Bailout calls IMO.

And did I mention, fuck the Packers? :dhd:

cwood

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I won't call it a terrible call because I think we all agree we would have thrown the flag at game speed, but it was the wrong call and I'll take it.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Again, even if you could review it, I'm not 100% sure they would have over-turned the call. Yeah, it looks like his thumb/finger slips right off the mask and doesn't jerk it, but then again, it's not 100%. Hard to tell just based on the replays I've seen. I'd say it's probably that he didn't hook and pull, but I'd say it's not completely verifiable, either. Most likely, even if it was reviewed, it would have ended up as "Stands as called".

And, again, this call did not cost them the game.

Bolts

Depressed Sports Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 10,019.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looked like a face mask live, not so much in replay.
But the Lions should have never been in that spot when they dominated for the 1st half and the start of the 2nd half before completely shutting down on offense. They also should have covered the TE standing at the front of the end zone who easily caught that pass, horrible defense there. That call might have been one of the reasons why the Lions lost, but not the only one.

whywork2

Archduke of Guacamole
Hoopla Cash
$ 381.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do any of you remember the game where the Packers were down by one score and on the last play of the game Aaron Rogers (who was on fire that game) threw a pass but there was a no-call on a facemask by a blitzing back? After the game Aaron didn't blame anybody and said the no-call was just a part of the game. Classy guy.
Thank you, I honestly forgot about that. That was an obvious bad call. I'm glad someone brought that to our attention. Super good call on that one.

Bunkamania

ESPN Defector
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Even in slow motion the thumb appears to be inside the facemask with force that moved the opponents helmet. I'm pretty sure this would be called unnecessary roughness every time.

ducky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was rooting against the Pack and I thought it should have been called.

Maybe not as clear as you would like it because of the way Rodgers ducked his head but it looked like a facemask to me.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Finally saw the replay of the pass... I couldn't tell but where was the line of scrimmage? Rodgers went up pretty far... Then again he did back peddle a lot

LambeauLegs

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,938.22
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
.....the ''flag-tosser'' was standing behind the so-called infraction with minimum view....but the other reffs did not throw any flags with a front-view ?,...maybe a conference could've been called to discuss/knowing that this could be the deciding factor....?,...*if this was a Pats game there'd be a dozen hate/threads started by the Hammer/girlz*.

Look at all video available and you will see that a ref from behind threw one and one with a front view off to the right side who had a clear view from the front 2 flags were thrown

NEhomer

Hoopla Cash
$ 944.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Again, even if you could review it, I'm not 100% sure they would have over-turned the call. Yeah, it looks like his thumb/finger slips right off the mask and doesn't jerk it, but then again, it's not 100%. Hard to tell just based on the replays I've seen. I'd say it's probably that he didn't hook and pull, but I'd say it's not completely verifiable, either. Most likely, even if it was reviewed, it would have ended up as "Stands as called".

And, again, this call did not cost them the game.

Except that if they don't make that call, the Lions win the game :L