• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Last Game Talk

gmalis1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Raanta
Pros: He makes some nice saves. Cons: Seems to lose his stick a lot. Also loses sight of the puck after stopping the initial shot. Assessment: Still getting used to the NHL game. Soft goals seem to be a Hawks' goalie mantra, so he should fit in real nice.

Bollig
Cons: Sometimes regresses to "goon" mode. Easy target to criticize in 2012. Pros: He seems to be improving with every game this season. Assessment: I like the improvement and may need to adjust my view of his place on this roster, especially if he continues to be an asset more than a liability.

Stars New Sweaters
Pros: They're still green in keeping with the old Minnesota moniker. Cons: Boring. A huge "D" on a star. Assessment: Hate 'em.

Raanta: If he continues to give up just two goals a game, I can live with the one soft goal. Another one last night. And yes, he's smallish for a goalie these days. But he does seem to track the puck well. Plus, I don't see anyone hoping Kent Simpson gets in a game.

Bollig: Missed a wide open chance last night. But defensively, he seems to be solid which for a fourth liner in Q's system is an asset. Kruger and Ben Smith playing great fourth line hockey both ways.

Stars New Sweaters: Aside from the pukey green color, they went "old school". AKA, they ripped off the Hawks St. Patrick's Day themed sweaters. I hate 'em. Maybe if the color wasn't just so "green" it would be better, but the black and white striping on the bottom of the sweater (Hawks ripoff), Stars insignias on the shoulders (Hawks ripoff) and overall color choice (green is nice, but not that green) makes me want to vomit.

Last night's game with a ton of positivies. Stars didn't show up to play at all until late in the second period when they scored a goal down 5-0. What was with that? I thought the Hawks were playing a peewee team out there. Terrible Stars defense and no offense whatsoever generated until that point.

Hawks having there way out there. Could have been 10-2 with all the chances they had. Another sparkling spotless night on the penalty kill. They now have killed off 10 in a row, albeit against the teams with the two worst power plays in the league (Florida and Dallas). The Stars are like 1 for 50 on the power play at home. Ouch!

Raanta more than sufficient last night. Brandon Saad is a beast. For a very young kid, he's terrific. Tough to rub off the puck (Morin and Pirri...please take note). And even with that, Morin had a good game last night. Looks like he is getting more acclimated to the Hawks/NHL style of play. He looked lost a month or so ago. Not so now.

Getting itchy for Bickell to return. And Michael Kostka. Thor with a great game last night. Two goals now in three games played. LOL! AND looked solid defensively with Leddy. Tons of speed with those two on the back end. I liked it.

Flyers tonight at home. Back to back for the Hawks. Flyers rested and waiting in Chicago.

anotheridiot

There will always be someone to blame......
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All around good game tonight.

Hats off to Jeremy Morin

I see Mo backchecking a little more, but not playing much differently offensively than he did all the games he was told he sucked. I really like to see him on that line with Saad or sometimes Kane double shifts as the puck is getting deep and gets on the ice with him. Last nite he made a couple solid hits too. I hope he is here to stay.

Bollig missed that open net, yes, but the bigger thing he is missing is mixing it up. That is his game and with 21 skating around he needed to be targeted a few times.

Great game, the team really plays well in front of Raanta. So many active sticks and knocking pucks out of the blue paint.

ChicagoIrish

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Another great showing!

Hawks struggled through the 1st period, but it sure didn't take long after that.

Our offensive explosiveness is 2nd to none.

gmalis1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So, let's see here:

1 19 goals in the past three games
2 6 goals against in the past three games
3 Hawks give up two more power play goals at home, where they now reside in the basement for goals against while shorthanded at home. So much for the momentum of the past two games.
4 Hawks looked okay and kind of listless during the first period against the Flyers. Kudos to the Flyers for keeping it close checking and mucking up the neutral zone.
5 Wheels fell off the cart from the second period and after for the Flyers. No discipline whatsoever. One stupid penalty after another, including a penalty AFTER the Hawks score and TWO penalties on the same play.
6 Hawks just trying to play keep away, but when it got a little ugly in the third period with head shots to Versteeg and Keith, the Hawks said WTF and put out the main power play guys on a 5 on 3 and made the Flyers pay.
7 Raanta with one softish goal (the second Flyers goal on the power play which it appeared he stopped but had it jump over him). Sensational series where he stopped TWO Flyers breakaways back to back during a Hawks power play. Once again, two goals against and that's it.
8 7 different players scored.
9 Hawks genuinely looking like they are having fun. Lotsa smiles all around during the game.
10 Bryan Bickell not too far away. Q has him skating with the team and he is progressing well. Maybe a game or two from rejoining the Hawks. Should be a valued addition.
11 Kane putting up incredible offensive numbers. Just sick. 42 points in 34 games. Ridiculous.
12 Speaking of sick, Hawks obviously lead the league in goals scored by a ton. And with that is Seabrook at +19, Saad and Keith at +17 and Hossa at +16.

A few days off before yet another back to back. Leafs in Toronto and then back home against a very, very good Kings team.

Baseballnut77

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Raanta: If he continues to give up just two goals a game, I can live with the one soft goal. Another one last night. And yes, he's smallish for a goalie these days. But he does seem to track the puck well. Plus, I don't see anyone hoping Kent Simpson gets in a game.

Bollig: Missed a wide open chance last night. But defensively, he seems to be solid which for a fourth liner in Q's system is an asset. Kruger and Ben Smith playing great fourth line hockey both ways.

Stars New Sweaters: Aside from the pukey green color, they went "old school". AKA, they ripped off the Hawks St. Patrick's Day themed sweaters. I hate 'em. Maybe if the color wasn't just so "green" it would be better, but the black and white striping on the bottom of the sweater (Hawks ripoff), Stars insignias on the shoulders (Hawks ripoff) and overall color choice (green is nice, but not that green) makes me want to vomit.

Last night's game with a ton of positivies. Stars didn't show up to play at all until late in the second period when they scored a goal down 5-0. What was with that? I thought the Hawks were playing a peewee team out there. Terrible Stars defense and no offense whatsoever generated until that point.

Hawks having there way out there. Could have been 10-2 with all the chances they had. Another sparkling spotless night on the penalty kill. They now have killed off 10 in a row, albeit against the teams with the two worst power plays in the league (Florida and Dallas). The Stars are like 1 for 50 on the power play at home. Ouch!

Raanta more than sufficient last night. Brandon Saad is a beast. For a very young kid, he's terrific. Tough to rub off the puck (Morin and Pirri...please take note). And even with that, Morin had a good game last night. Looks like he is getting more acclimated to the Hawks/NHL style of play. He looked lost a month or so ago. Not so now.

Getting itchy for Bickell to return. And Michael Kostka. Thor with a great game last night. Two goals now in three games played. LOL! AND looked solid defensively with Leddy. Tons of speed with those two on the back end. I liked it.

Flyers tonight at home. Back to back for the Hawks. Flyers rested and waiting in Chicago.

so what you are saying is that now that morin is seeing regular ice time he is getting better? what a novel concept lol. Maybe we wont have to trade yet another good young player to keep a Sheldon brookbank type on the team

gmalis1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Hawks are in a unique position with respect to most other NHL teams. Being an elite team, if not THE elite team in the league, the Hawks have few roster spots available for AHL'ers and almost no roster spots to develop at the NHL level.

Therefore, the Hawks pretty much require that their AHL'ers have to be NHL ready. Competing for a President's Trophy and another Stanley Cup championship requires that their players be really, really good.

Now, if you're Buffalo or Calgary or Edmonton or Florida you have the "luxury" of calling up players that might not immediately be ready for the NHL, but you're willing to let them develop with the big league club with the hope that they will use that experience and get better.

Jeremy Morin IS improving. He still has many faults in his game though. Defensively he appears to be good to very good. Offensively, his skating is average at best, he is weak in the corners and on the boards as he gets separated from the puck in those areas or can't/won't retrieve pucks in those areas. His shot selection is still one where he is looking to pass first rather than shoot. He doesn't have a great shot and doesn't have great aim. To me, he's Marcus Kruger Lite at this point of his career. Is he a Grade A prospect, a can't miss? Still don't know yet.

And when Bryan Bickell comes back from his injury (which could be 2-3 games from now as he is now practicing with the team with full contact), Morin will be back at Rockford.

It's tough. You want to see players like him, Pirri, Nordstrom etc develop and become the up and coming strength of the Hawks. But there are so few roster spots available, it's extremely difficult if not impossible to break into the lineup on a regular basis. Brandon Saad, Andrew Shaw and Ben Smith have done it. But almost no spaces for anyone down in Rockford unless an injury occurs.

That's why I wasn't losing any sleep when the Hawks let Dylan Olson and Jimmy Hayes get traded to Florida. Even if they did develop in the next year or two, there's still no room for them on the Hawks with yet another wave of draftees waiting in the wings (Teurovainen and Broadhurst, just to name two).

With the Hawks core being so young, except for Handzus, Hossa and maybe Sharp, these players have years and years and years of being together. So, where can you develop players aside from at the AHL level? And once they are maybe NHL ready, where do they find a roster spot?

As to Sheldon Brookbank, I wouldn't lose any sleep if the Hawks traded him for a draft pick. I think that nine defensemen are too many to start with. Second, I really like Michael Kostka the best among him, Brookbank and Rozsival. I like Kostka's speed and I think he works really well with Nick Leddy. Defensively, from what I've seen in his limited action, he looks sound.

But, for some reason Q loves Brookbank, even as a wing (which I can't stand one bit). I think Q likes Brookbank as a secondary "enforcer" type who won't back away from other teams goons (although I also don't agree, as I think Brookbank really isn't that type of player). That's why we saw Brookbank against the Flyers the other night. Bollig and Brookbank...hardly striking fear into any NHL team to keep them straight. But Q feels they will fill that role(s), and he's the coach.

As an aside, I don't think anyone on this site mentioned that Kyle Beach is done with the Hawks. He was traded 6 days ago to the Rangers. So that first round pick was a bust.

Baseballnut77

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
well here is what I know Stanton(traded to the canucks) and is playing a regular shift and playing well.
olsen and hayes(traded to florida) playing regular shifts and playing well. You say on 1 hand that players need to be nhl ready or they cant play then give an example of shaw saad and smith. All except smith once they were given a regular shift shined. Stanton and olsen from a pure talent perspective outclass all 3 D-men you list. So it is not a question of them being nhl ready they clearly are/were. Its a question of Q screwing with the long term prospects of this team to make a couple of year glory run instead of using the kids to become a complete dynasty for years to come much like the red-wings and a few others. Its not a cost issue because the kids come cheap. and when you are talking about a full season even kids with a few kinks in their games will have them ironed out playing along side the likes of hossa sharp kane and toews.I have no problem with the way the coach goes on a day to day basis. I am just tired of building a great farm and watching them go off to other teams for the likes of a brookbank/mayers/rossi/so on and so on.Heck even a guy like frolik is beginning to prosper once again with Winnipeg and with the way are PK is right now I am quite sure there isn't a soul on this boardwho wouldn't have rather have had him here then any of the dead weight/ veteran player we love to keep around here for no purpose whatsoever

ChicagoIrish

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Speaking of the Kings, them and St Louis are the only teams in the West that worry me.

More so the Kings, they just have a good all around team.

gmalis1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
well here is what I know Stanton(traded to the canucks) and is playing a regular shift and playing well.
olsen and hayes(traded to florida) playing regular shifts and playing well. You say on 1 hand that players need to be nhl ready or they cant play then give an example of shaw saad and smith. All except smith once they were given a regular shift shined. Stanton and olsen from a pure talent perspective outclass all 3 D-men you list. So it is not a question of them being nhl ready they clearly are/were. Its a question of Q screwing with the long term prospects of this team to make a couple of year glory run instead of using the kids to become a complete dynasty for years to come much like the red-wings and a few others. Its not a cost issue because the kids come cheap. and when you are talking about a full season even kids with a few kinks in their games will have them ironed out playing along side the likes of hossa sharp kane and toews.I have no problem with the way the coach goes on a day to day basis. I am just tired of building a great farm and watching them go off to other teams for the likes of a brookbank/mayers/rossi/so on and so on.Heck even a guy like frolik is beginning to prosper once again with Winnipeg and with the way are PK is right now I am quite sure there isn't a soul on this boardwho wouldn't have rather have had him here then any of the dead weight/ veteran player we love to keep around here for no purpose whatsoever

I think you need to address these questions to Stan Bowman and Coach Q. I don't really have an answer why the marginal players who are veterans (Brookbank, Mayers, Carcillo, etc) stick with the team while others like Stanton and Olsen don't.

The only thing I can think of is that they like a veteran presence in the locker room...and all three of my examples can also fill that "goon" role, so to speak. Stanton, Olsen, Morin, Pirri, Frolik, Hayes et al would never fill either role. Frolik, whereas I would like the Hawks to have kept him, probably was a salary cap issue. The others, not so much.

I don't know what to tell you and I don't want to keep rehashing this. I don't have a definitive answer and I'm pretty sure you don't either. But whereas the Hawks are still riding high and atop the NHL, it's tough to question personnel strategy with the guys who are running the show.

anotheridiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You definitely have a hard on for Morin and not in a good way. He is not looking to pass he is hitting the goalie 5 times a night. Looking for rebounds, not passes. His struggles were on defense.

And no, the hawks cannot get AHL talent ready here when Q and Bowman want to play the veterans. Choose to trade for Handzous, Versteeg, sign Kostka and Khabibulin, thats why there is no place for the AHL talent to rise here. When they stop making trades, maybe then we will see the talent here.

Stanton and Olsen were not bad players, their biggest fault in the managers eyes are they were left handed shots. Already with a Hammer Oduya lefty pair, they didnt want a second. If either were rightys they would be on this team. Oduya makes some great plays, but causes more havoc in front of our goalies. Wont lose sleep when he goes. The only question is, will they find a betteran to fill out the roster when they deal him or allow a kid to play.

gmalis1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think another thing we haven't talked about is that the Hawks brass feels there is enough depth in the AHL and lower (EHL or college ranks) that they can bypass (or miss, depending on how you look at it) some prospects.

I don't think the Hawks are insensitive or shutting out lower level players. After all, Saad, Shaw and Ben Smith have made the jump. So that's two last year and one this year that the Hawks have developed. Add in Morin and Pirri and that's basically one more (give them 1/2 for each).

It's not like we aren't seeing players from Rockford make the big team. There has been a steady stream of guys from way back when (well, at least the past 6 or 7 years).

Not every one will make the Hawks, especially with a successful and talent laden team that the Hawks have. It's not like the Hawks are building by making multiple trades, signing multiple big time free agents or multiple over the hill types. The Hawks like 2-3 veterans with playoff/Cup experience (see John Madden/Brent Sopel back in 2010, Handzus/Roszival/Oduya/Emery in 2013.

Once again, if the Hawks were rebuilding, I'm all for backing up the truck and getting rid of the older guys at the bottom of the roster and filling them with promising rookies. But Stan and Q won't do that. Pirri got his chance and for some reason (not defensively responsible) Q didn't want him to stick. Morin will be the same just as soon as Bickell returns next week.

As to me badmouthing Jeremy Morin, I just don't see what you see. Has he improved since his first stint earlier in the season? Yes. Is he a Brandon Saad or even an Andrew Shaw type of player? No, not yet. To me, he's just an insignificant kind of player on this team, hoping not to make a game changing mistake.

And again, as to the others that were traded away, it does show you the depth of the Hawks as a team when other teams want your prospects and they become reasonably successful with them. Heck, even Rob Klinkhammer is having a really good year with the Coyotes. But there are only so many spots on a team, and the Hawks seem to have most of them filled already. Some have to go...you can't keep them all forever.

Sure, I'd rather not see Handzus play. Brookbank too. Add in Rozsival. But the Hawks haven't been able to find that second line center they desperately need for years and years, so Handzus is the stopgap until he gets hurt again. Could Jimmy Hayes have played that role? Morin? Pirri? Nope. Tried it and it didn't work. They even desperately tried Saad but he can't win enough faceoffs to be that guy. Sharp would have had my vote, but despite Sharpie getting a lot of faceoff tries, Q doesn't want to keep him there and likes his sniping from the wing.

So, it's nice to sit back and say we should have kept this guy and that guy, but honestly, where would you play them all?

Baseballnut77

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
as I figured it would be brought up lol. in 2010 we needed a vet or 2 but now this is a battle tested team who ARE vets so there should be no need to bring in dead bodies. As to morin it is my opinion that it is not that you don't see what we see it is more that you don't want to see it. It is just in you jeans I guess. much like when you say you don't want to continue to rehash something 1 comment after bringing up kyle beach. ITs just you operate I guess. Some people can only see what is right in front of them and others see the whole picture. Either way what is good now may not be good for the future of this team and time will surely show it. The only thing will be is when it starts to go south there will be a new coach and a new G.M. that will have to rebuild instead of rewnew

anotheridiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tough game last nite. Biggest stat against a physical toronto team, Bollig 12:29 and ONE hit. bad stick placement on powerplay gave up an easy goal. Mo got robbed of an assist, hawks get robbed of a goal, jesus, he batted the puck away from the net. The rule is trying to knock it in with the glove. How did they not allow it reviewed. Hockey nite in Canada US teams get screwed. At least Simpson got in an nhl games to get his skates wet in case he has to play. Goalie signed to play in rockford from Edmonton for Joe Future.

gmalis1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Guess Q wasn't too happy with Morin as well. He hit the organ loft and was replaced by your buddy Sheldon Brookbank on wing.

Oh well. Bickell will make the trip to Nashville. Most likely he's ready to return. Morin back to Rockford where he can team back up with all your Not Ready for Prime Time players.

I guess you see something that the Hawks brass doesn't. Too bad you don't have your own team. That way you could play all the prospects on the bottom six forwards and the bottom pair of defensemen instead of who the Hawks are playing now.

I would love to see how much you hate Stan B and Q if the Hawks were actually bad. Still atop the NHL and you're bitching and complaining about a roster move, the future six-eight years down the road and talking BS about a new GM and a new coach.

Anyways, I'm not gonna pick a fight. Hawks won 3-1 against a very good LA Kings team. Nice bounce back win for all the boys, especially Antti Raanta who made a handful of good saves.

PS Just for the record, an eighth grader knows that it's "in the GENES"...and not the denim kind that you wear as bib overalls.

gmalis1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To Baseballnut:

Please tell me specifically who you would like gone from this Hawks team and who you would like to take their place from the Rockford Ice Hogs?

You keep bitching and moaning about the Hawks not playing enough prospects. How about being EXACTLY specific on what YOU would do as GM of the Hawks????

Curious minds would love to know.

anotheridiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Guess Q wasn't too happy with Morin as well. He hit the organ loft and was replaced by your buddy Sheldon Brookbank on wing.

Of course he is gonna put Brookbank in at forward against the physical teams. He wants a guy thats gonna be on the bench all game on a 10 minute major penalty. Bollig could have cleaned quite a few clocks last night, puck was still on their stick and he didnt make the hit. One measly hit again, Shaw had 4. What happened to knowing his role? I think the hit he got credit for is when he skated into the LA king guy at the red line trying to go for a change. The one guy that is supposed to be a physical presence is turning into a hockey player that are sitting in the organ loft.

gmalis1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep...Bickell activated and the highly exalted by some on this thread Jeremy Morin sent back to Rockford after another stint in Q's doghouse...where he can share room with Brandon Pirri.

It's all well and good to sit back and say that this AHL'er should be playing, but I don't see anyone responding to my post with definitive moves YOU would be willing to make if YOU were GM of the Hawks.

Not like the wheels are coming off the cart. Hawks still with the best record in the NHL. There's no pleasing you guys.

I'm looking at a few marginal players on the Hawks that are replaceable parts. Brookbank/Roszival/Kostka are obvious choices. Who else would go? Once Bickell is inserted back on the third line, who else is there? Bollig? Maybe. Sure I'd like to swap him for Sidney Crosby, but that's not gonna happen. Bollig is a role player. He knows his role. He's solid defensively. He's even been playing on the penalty kill.

So, there you have it. Maybe (note I said "maybe"...even that's not a given) two players on a roster of 22. Is Morin/Pirri/Clendening/Nordstrom/Pick another AHL'er better than who the Hawks have? Doubtful.

As to Bollig not delivering the crushing hits you wanted against the Kings the Hawks got murdered in the hits column. Big deal. Tell us something new. Hawks get outhit every single game. Doesn't faze them. They still come up with loose pucks in the offensive zone. I'm not as shocked by the hit stats as I used to be a few years ago. Hawks have learned how to win without the crushing blows.

Anything else you two want to bitch about the Hawks? Or me?

anotheridiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We are just realists man. We see how quickly a superstar can be wiped out and off the roster. We take these easy games and figure thats time you allow some kids to play more. When Toews goes concussed again, Kane, Sharp, or Saad is hurt, or Hossa and Handzous fall to injury again, you know its gonna happen, we just want someone ready to play. Sure seems like they arent learning the right shit in rockford since they all end up in the Q doghouse when they get here. You can bitch about Morin all you want, but he is getting pucks to the net, I dont know what else you need to ask for. If he wasnt getting any push to the net, I can see your hating him, but you compliment his defense when that is clearly the side of the puck he is in the dog house for.

We also see we have a back end that plays Hammer on his weak side and back handing pucks down the ice and shiver to be stuck with Brookbank and Rosie playing every night if a defender goes down. I bet you will be looking to deal these deadbeats for some veteran when that injury happens, so keep jumping on us for wanting our team to have some home grown talent coming up that is ready to play. They arent gonna keep raising the salary cap to keep signing the veterans, next step of the cap to 71 is just barely enough to keep Toews and kane here. We need cheap help.

gmalis1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kane and Toews signed through next year. The cap could get close to $80 million by then. They'll be plenty of dollars to extend Kane and Toews.

You can't play scared about who might get hurt. There's a fine line between winning and losing in the NHL. Teams are closely matched. You don't sit your best players to just rest them. I don't see the Pens resting Crosby because he might be tired or the possibility he might get injured.

If Q doesn't believe Pirri and Morin are good enough yet, they won't play. Plain and simple. If someone goes down like Bickell, either can fill in temporarily. But if one of the core players either up front or on defense gets hurt, no one will adequately replace them.

Still waiting for a response on who you would sit/trade to provide a spot for one of the kids.