• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Last Game Talk

gmalis1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Colorado hit Kaner every chance they could. Rode Toews hard too. Sharps head was on a swivel since he was jousting with someone just about every whistle. Thats how Roy wants his team to play. I still think Vegas might have odds of Roy leaving the bench and fighting another coach, ref or player. Colorado made the hawks look slow and even when the hawks wanted to hit someone, they were gone.

Difficult playing in Colorado with the high altitude. Takes a toll on the players who aren't used to it. Always a problem playing there. Just chalk it up to a bad game on the road.

Nice bounce back win tonight in Winnipeg. Too many Hawks penalties to my liking, including giving up two more power play goals.

But three goals in the third and the Hawks skate away with another win.

Central Division very tight among the top four teams.

anotheridiot

There will always be someone to blame......
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yeah, good game, I guess Q wanted to give Crawford a bounce back game instead of allowing Raanta to get his first start against a beatable opponent. Saw two really nice plays from morin, an excellent stretch pass and then a bull rush getting himself and the puck right to the net, but one failed clear where he was knocked down and ends up with only 7:12 on the ice. I guess you gotta earn time on defense to get a shot on a powerplay?

anotheridiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hossa left the team for some family business. Morin and Brookbank started on a line, it didnt last at all as Q ran three lines all nite, ended up benching Rosie in the third and moving Brookbank back to D with Leddy.
It all worked. Scary moment as Toews got crosschecked in the liver and went down in a heap, but he returned later in the game, wasnt the same. We will need to keep an eye on that. Great win, Crow shows he is a better goalie when he is tested early and often.

gmalis1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hossa left the team for some family business. Morin and Brookbank started on a line, it didnt last at all as Q ran three lines all nite, ended up benching Rosie in the third and moving Brookbank back to D with Leddy.
It all worked. Scary moment as Toews got crosschecked in the liver and went down in a heap, but he returned later in the game, wasnt the same. We will need to keep an eye on that. Great win, Crow shows he is a better goalie when he is tested early and often.

Hoping that everything is OK with Hossa's family. His wife just had a baby a week or two ago, so concern there that everyone is fine.

Toews is fine. Got the wind knocked out of him. Won't miss any time, and he returned late in the game.

Crawford, despite letting in more goals than usual the past week or so is still so strong in the third period with games on the line. Great game last night. Reminiscent of playoff type hockey...low scoring, good chances on both sides, tighter checking, more intensity. Great road game...great road win.

Interesting that Q had his fourth line out there when the Canucks pulled their goalie with about a minute and a half left. Kruger, Smith and Bollig had a very strong game overall.

Like how the rookies are playing more significant minutes and getting better each and every game. Pirri, Morin and Smith looking good now...both ways.

Not happy with Rozsival or Brookbank playing a wing. Forget that experiment...except that the Hawks have no one else to play up front. Bickell and Hossa out. Two big losses.

Michael Kostka almost ready to come back. Michael Handzus as well, hopefully next game or the last two of the circus trip. That would really improve the Hawks depth. Handzus could play anywhere, two through four at center or wing. Doubt the Hawks will replace Pirri, Shaw or Kruger at center. Thinking Handzus plays the Bickell role on the third line. Kostka, although basically a defenseman, can play some wing as well and Q used him one game there prior to being hurt.

Really impressed with Ben Smith's play of late. Nice to see him doing well. Seems to have some nice chemistry with Kruger. Smith also making some nice drives to the net.

As soon as the Hawks get some offensive depth back, things won't be as crazy with all the line juggling. As much fun as it is to see Kane with Toews and Sharp, I still like Kane on the second line and Hossa on the top line.

anotheridiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
another big win, another idiot here wondering why you dont give Raanta that start in goal against a beatable opponent. Gotta have that kid ready to play pro hockey. Are we playing for Crow leading the league in appearances or wins? He had a great game in Vancooooover, he was back.

Another rush to the goal and even Foley was on Morin for mishandling the puck as he drives to the net and dishes to shaw with an open side when it was clearly a forehand backhand move under duress.

Great team win, these are just the games where you wonder how much Q is looking at the future. Everyone is saying Crow should be on the canada olympic team, I know its probably 1/3 games, but still its hockey baby. The way this team is dropping with injuries, I would much rather have played alot more yutes and give the vets a nite off, even if it was going for the #1 seed in the west. We probably would have gotten it anyway.

gmalis1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
another big win, another idiot here wondering why you dont give Raanta that start in goal against a beatable opponent. Gotta have that kid ready to play pro hockey. Are we playing for Crow leading the league in appearances or wins? He had a great game in Vancooooover, he was back.

Another rush to the goal and even Foley was on Morin for mishandling the puck as he drives to the net and dishes to shaw with an open side when it was clearly a forehand backhand move under duress.

Great team win, these are just the games where you wonder how much Q is looking at the future. Everyone is saying Crow should be on the canada olympic team, I know its probably 1/3 games, but still its hockey baby. The way this team is dropping with injuries, I would much rather have played alot more yutes and give the vets a nite off, even if it was going for the #1 seed in the west. We probably would have gotten it anyway.

1 You play Crawford because the Oilers are an extremely fast team on the best ice in the NHL. Plus, the Oilers usually give the Hawks fits. Look for Raanta to play in Calgary, or in Dallas (back to back followed by the Coyotes).

2 The Hawks don't have the depth at this point to just rest some veterans and go with the kids. Even with Handzus back the Hawks played ALL their forwards available. At least they didn't have to have Brookbank at a wing.

3 The Hawks are not dropping with injuries. They have four players not skate last night...Hossa, Kostka, Roszival, Bickell. Hossa was away on a family crisis and will return tomorrow night at Calgary. Kostka should be ready to go or is a game or two away. Roszival has a minor injury and got a maintenance game off. Bickell needs a week or two or three yet. So, I don't see the Hawks dropping like flies.

4 I'm assuming you had a bit too much to drink or smoke when you wrote your post. Not the most coherent of your drivel regarding Q not playing the kids as much. I thought that all the kids have played plenty the past three games...and all of them are improving. Pirri was a little hidden last night (not much going on with him), but Ben Smith has been very strong and Jeremy Morin had a really good game. Three rookies on the team right now (will, four with Raanta). Not sure what more you want from Q. He's playing them...they are responding by getting better each and every game.

It's okay to bitch and complain when the Hawks play poorly, but geez, they have looked great the last three games and pretty much most of the season. They lead the NHL in points and there's still criticism on how Q is handling the team? Wow. I would hate to see what would happen if the Hawks lose a few or three in a row. It might get downright nasty.

anotheridiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1 You play Crawford because the Oilers are an extremely fast team on the best ice in the NHL. Plus, the Oilers usually give the Hawks fits. Look for Raanta to play in Calgary, or in Dallas (back to back followed by the Coyotes).

2 The Hawks don't have the depth at this point to just rest some veterans and go with the kids. Even with Handzus back the Hawks played ALL their forwards available. At least they didn't have to have Brookbank at a wing.

3 The Hawks are not dropping with injuries. They have four players not skate last night...Hossa, Kostka, Roszival, Bickell. Hossa was away on a family crisis and will return tomorrow night at Calgary. Kostka should be ready to go or is a game or two away. Roszival has a minor injury and got a maintenance game off. Bickell needs a week or two or three yet. So, I don't see the Hawks dropping like flies.

4 I'm assuming you had a bit too much to drink or smoke when you wrote your post. Not the most coherent of your drivel regarding Q not playing the kids as much. I thought that all the kids have played plenty the past three games...and all of them are improving. Pirri was a little hidden last night (not much going on with him), but Ben Smith has been very strong and Jeremy Morin had a really good game. Three rookies on the team right now (will, four with Raanta). Not sure what more you want from Q. He's playing them...they are responding by getting better each and every game.

It's okay to bitch and complain when the Hawks play poorly, but geez, they have looked great the last three games and pretty much most of the season. They lead the NHL in points and there's still criticism on how Q is handling the team? Wow. I would hate to see what would happen if the Hawks lose a few or three in a row. It might get downright nasty.

I dont drink, I dont smoke, keep your assumptions to as to how far you will shove your head up Q's ass tomorrow. This was a win regardless of who was in goal. When Crow goes down and Raanta blows I am sure you will be the first to say how bad Raanta played instead of considering how he is getting no NHL speed games to play when we have the opportunity. You give him a game that is winnable. You give him a game against the WORST team in the Western Conference so he is ready for the team you want to give him that are ahead of Edmonton. Thats how you get experience and learn if you can trust him in net before you pencil Crow in for 80 games and expect him to win in the playoffs.

Look at the box score. Its 4-0 and Duncan Keith is still on the ice 25 minutes. Versteeg 11, bollig 11, morin 8.53, Pirri 13, Brookbank 14. Thats what I mean about playing the kids. You dont need Kane and Toews playing 20 minutes, you need them to not be in harms way in garbage time, you take the opportunity to get the kids on the ice as much as possible to work.

Just remind yourself later in the year when the hawks are beaten up and tired all the time the studs wasted during a garbage game.

gmalis1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's not baseball or college football where you have a blowout, pull the starters and let those who rarely play get in the game and play heavy minutes. It's NHL hockey. You roll four lines and three defensive pairings, which Q was doing. I don't understand what you expect him to do? Hockey is a game of matchups. You don't quit playing your stars and just have kids out there helter skelter against the other teams stars. It doesn't work, and leads (even three goal leads) disappear pretty quickly in the NHL when you stop skating and don't get the right matchups (see the Dallas Stars game vs Anaheim from last night when the Stars scored three goals in less than a minute for further proof).

It's easy to sit back and say, well, we have a big lead so just rest the "important" guys. But you can't just pull back on the stars, especially on the road when the home team has the matchup advantage to start with.

I don't know what you want Q to do. And I don't suppose that you know what's best for the team more than Q does. And I don't hear from the players that they are tired or overworked. There's always a risk for an injury whether they play 8 minutes or 20 minutes in a game.

Now, it might be different if the Hawks had a 10 or 12 point lead in the division. But the top four teams are so close together in the standings that you don't want to be losing points because your best players aren't out on the ice when it's their turn.

Once again remember, only the top THREE teams in each division make the playoffs guaranteed with the other two as wild cards from either division.

And I really see the fourth line getting more and more minutes each and every game on this road trip. Now, it's not Toews-Kane-Sharp minutes, but it's more than the usually seven or eight minutes that the fourth line gets. And of course, it also has to do with the amount of penalties and power plays the Hawks have. Fourth liners don't play PP or PK (usually---Kruger is an exception on the PK).

So, in essence, I don't see anyone complaining about minutes piling up or tired legs. I think it's a moot point at this time of the season...and so far the majority of games have days off in between, with just a few back to backs (another one coming up this weekend).

anotheridiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just saying its a lost opportunity to learn more about these kids that need nhl ice time. If you wont play your backup goalie against the worst team in the conference, you are looking for a reason not to play him.

Dallas ran up two goals in less than a minute, so I guess Raanta wont play there now. Thats an explosive team...................

gmalis1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually, Dallas scored THREE goals in less than a minute. But Raanta gets the start tonight in Calgary. Might get the start in Dallas (or Phoenix). But it depends on how well he does tonight in Calgary. If it's Khabibulin-like, Q won't have any confidence in Raanta and Crawford has even more work ahead of him.

If you played Raanta in Edmonton and the Oilers score two or three early goals against him that:

1 Kills Raanta's confidence
2 Gives the Oilers the early big lead and gives them all the momentum and confidence
3 Maybe forces Q to still play Crawford

Now, the above scenario still may hold true tonight in Calgary. If Raanta sucks it big time, the same quandry is there.

gmalis1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First NHL start for Antti Raanta. Mission accomplished. Hawks score three unanswered goals in the third period and eke out a 3-2 win over the Flames.

Good news:

Antti Raanta...pretty good tonight. Played angles well, good rebound control, looked agile and square to the shooter. Two goals against pretty much not his fault as both were from shots from the slot. Definite upgrade over Khabby and deserves another start for sure. Looked a little vulnerable up high, but congrats to him on his first NHL win.

Patrick Kane---wow, is he on a roll. 12 straight games with a point. Two goals tonight, both highlight reel type. First goal from a very bad angle off a Flames deflection. Last goal game winner with 18 seconds left on a sweet spin around backhand that seemed to flutter and fool Berra.

Duncan Keith---playing really well now. Another assist to get him to 19 already. Top three in the league for ALL players.

The bad:

Up and down night for Nick Leddy. Way too lackadaisical on the Flames first goal where he should have followed Stajan in the slot. Very slow getting to him leaving him a wide open shot. But very good aside from that play.

Brandon Pirri---uh, oh. Open the Q doghouse door. Early in the third he tries to take a whack at a puck at the offensive blue line, but loses his stick and the puck. Then he loses his composure and grabs at a Flames player for a delayed penalty, which results in a 3 on 2, which the Flames convert to give them a 2-0 lead early in the third period. And that's the last we saw of Mr. Pirri for the night. He didn't return. Q double shifting Kane and Saad alternately in Pirri's place.

Flames a very tough opponent for the Hawks for some reason. They block a ton of shots, take away the middle of the ice and let you shoot from the outside and play a pretty close checking style. Berra strong in net, but he has horrible positioning and horrible net presence. Skates out of the crease taking him out of the net way too many times. Sharp and Hossa with plenty of chances but couldn't connect most of the night until Sharp scored less than a minute after Kane to knot the score. But somehow Berra made all the plays until about midway through the third period.

Another nice road win on the circus trip which stands at 4-1 so far. Avalanche lose to the Blues tonight so the Hawks are starting to see some separation between them and everyone else except the Blues who are playing at a very high level now.

Hawks have Dallas and Phoenix in a back to back Friday/Saturday.

Blues have San Jose and LA on the road next.

Avs have the Wild in a home and home back to back.

Finally some competition for the teams right behind. Good time to gobble up some points. (I threw in a Thanksgiving reference there).

Hope everyone has a great turkey day tomorrow. Enjoy.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Happy Thanksgiving Blackhawk fans!

anotheridiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Got home late, turned it on in the third, hawks down 2-0.

You are all welcome. I will try not to miss any more games.

Threw in my own turkey reference there, me being the turkey.

Q gets results, all being an old school reprimands of you fuck up you cant play. I wonder if the team mates are supportive and helping or just act like the big bullies and mock the kids that are shriveled up in a corner.

gmalis1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Q IS old school. Heck, we even saw Seabrook with very limited minutes in last years Stanley Cup Final.

Pretty sure you know where you stand with Q if you are one of his players. What you see is what you get. Which I'm sure the players like. No hidden agenda there.

Maybe Pirri gets demoted to the third or fourth line? I still like his offensive upside as he has a nose for the net. But defensive miscues like that are a killer and you can't blame Q for being ticked off.

I would like to see Kruger given a shot a the second line center for a game or two. See how that works out between Kane and Saad. Let Pirri play with Shaw and Versteeg and then Handzus with Bollig and Ben Smith. Just try for a couple of shifts and see how it goes. Although I have full understanding that Q knows what he is doing. LOL!

gmalis1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Shaw "promoted" to second line center for tonights game in Dallas. Will skate with Kane and Saad.

Toews continues with Sharp and Hossa. Handzus to play with Pirri and Versteeg. Kruger stays with Bollig and Smith.

Brookbank playing D tonight in place of Roszival.

Corey Crawford in net.

anotheridiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pirri was demoted, but was still the third shooter for the shootout.

Sure looked like Bollig is becoming a hockey player, mainly because he didnt take a run at the prick that gave Kane a right cross at the net. Threw off Kane all the rest of the game, maybe Tuesday if the hawks get the lead. Crow with a terrible play trying to handle the puck or they wouldnt have scored.

I dont know what was happening with that pirri line. He centered, then shaw centered then it got jumbled up again. There is so much offense out there its really hard to believe they are being shut down these last few games.

gmalis1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First they announced the line matchups...then they didn't do it most of the game. Perplexing.

Well, when you only score one regulation goal, it's easy to say that the other lines aren't producing.

Shaw-Pirri-Versteeg on the third line. Sometimes Shaw in the dot, sometimes Pirri. I think I even saw Versteeg take a couple of faceoffs. Not sure who is a right hand shot and who is a left hand shot, but I think Q is playing left dot/right dot on who takes the faceoffs.

Fourth line has so much confidence amongst themselves right now and Q is rewarding them by giving them really good minutes. Ben Smith is terrific. He had a handful of chances in the game last night.

Hawks chasing the line matchups all game last night. I think it threw off their game a bit. Good job by the Stars pretty much throttling the Hawks scoring machine. Credit them with a really good game. And once again a ton of blocked Hawks shots.

Crawford, sure he looked awful playing that puck behind the net which resulted in the only Stars goal. I actually thought he has been playing the puck terrific this season, with quick outlet passes to his defense...until that play. Ugh. What a train wreck.

But I'm giving him a lot of slack because boy, was he good the rest of the game. Stops another penalty shot and then stops 10 of 11 in the shootout. Just terrific watching him one on one.

Wondering when opposing teams are gonna figure out Sharp's one and only move in a shootout. It's backhand and then a forehand flip up high. So far he's done it like three or four times already and he's scored every time. But that's his only move.

And while on that subject, time for Toews to find something else aside from five-hole. I think goalies have caught onto that one. And hard to believe but Kane is 0 for 6 in shootouts this season. And I do agree that he got his bell rung pretty good in the third period when he was run over. He didn't look even close to the same after that.

Sorry to hear that the Stars Stephane Robidas broke his leg during the game in a hard collision to the end boards. Never want to see any type of injury to a player...and that one was hard to watch.

Hawks look to go 6-1 on the road trip if they beat the Coyotes tonight.

ChicagoIrish

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nice win tonight

6-1 on the west coast road trip

anotheridiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Those players seem like they genuinely like Raanta when they congratulate him on his wins. Sure hope he keeps feeding him games.

Lets see if the hawk players remember #21 tomorrow nite.

anotheridiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
guess Shaw and Rosie remembered 21, what a prick. Can a goalie go out and check the puck carrier on a penalty shot? I mean just skate out full speed and fucking destroy him?

I turned it on for the comeback again, damn circus trip, must have been humid in the UC because that ice was probably the worst I have seen there in like forever. Thoroughly outshot them again and not much to show for it.

Still tired of this peer pressure Q, last nite it was Leddy sitting for more than half a period. Answered with a goal, was that a good thing or a bad thing, maybe Q will do it more now.