• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Last Game Talk

anotheridiot

There will always be someone to blame......
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There really isnt a game thread thing going here and no reason to keep talking about games in other threads about people so maybe here?

Everyone really showed how giddy they were for the move. no d, no offense, double shifting Kane, I thought there were a couple triple shifts there. Versteeg played well, lifted sticks, got pucks to the net, Bollig to the pk..... I guess he did alright if he didnt take the delay of game penalty.

Too busy sending kids back to rockford, they went to Nashville with 21 players and had to play brookbank at forward again. With every good move theres a bad move I guess. D was horrible all game. I guess it was the worst game of the year as the hawks were looking ahead to the showdown with the Sharks.

Raanta should be up today, crawford had a bad game as well, hopefully he strikes back, but you gotta wonder if Q would throw Raanta in tonight.

gmalis1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Part if the Rockford shuffle is salary cap. Each player on the active roster counts against the cap. If they are in Rockford, they don't.

You need to understand that. It's not that the Hawks want to play with 21, it's because they have to.

anotheridiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Part if the Rockford shuffle is salary cap. Each player on the active roster counts against the cap. If they are in Rockford, they don't.

You need to understand that. It's not that the Hawks want to play with 21, it's because they have to.

You look at all the box scores and there were ALWAYS 3 blackhawks on the healthy scratch list. So now that Versteeg is here and we sit a 5.6 million dollar hossa it was a gaffe that there was only one extra guy here.

They can suit up the salary cap, not travel them to the rink. They can warm up over the salary cap, when the game starts, the salary cap suits up. Maybe you need to understand that. Seems the organization was a little too busy filming hugs and kisses with Versteeg than to have ample humans ready to play in Nashville.

gmalis1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Right now, as of this very moment, with the roster as they had tonight and with Kostka, Handzus and Khabibulin on LITR, the Hawks are EXACTLY at the salary cap.

Here is the OFFICIAL NHL explanation of who counts against the salary cap and who doesn't:

Team salary expenditures are calculated on a daily basis from the first day to the final day of the NHL regular season.
A team is in compliance if it has not already exceeded the cap for the season, and if it could carry its current roster without exceeding the cap at the end of the season.
Counted against the cap:
- Players on the active roster or injured reserve.
- Players who have left the team on a contract buyout, according to a formula that charges a percentage of the buyout against the cap.
- New for 2013: Above a minimum threshold, salary paid to NHL players who have been assigned to play in another professional league (such as the American Hockey League or a league in Europe) will count against the cap.
Not counted against the cap:
: - Junior-aged players who are returned to junior hockey after signing an NHL contract.
- Players on the long-term injured list. (See "Long Term Injuries" below.)

This says NOTHING about who skates and who doesn't in a game. It is the players ON THE ACTIVE ROSTER of the NHL team, not the 20 who actually are on the bench.

So sure, you can carry 21, 22 or 23 players...but they all count against the cap.

anotheridiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess I am just saying that yes we got Versteeg back but the cost seems to be that we will not have any flexibility now from game to game with injuries since we only have room for one healthy scratch and none of us want Brookbank playing forward every night.

Great game anyway, defense shows up in front of Crow. Rosie had a good game, he had great playoff games, guess if he shows up in games they pencil in a win he would play every night. Leddy is also playing well, Pirri is just scoring.

Sharks really picked up the speed game though, like the Hawks they are gonna be tough when the goalie is playing well.

gmalis1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Brandon Pirri is just one of those guys that has a nose for the net. I don't think he's a great skater, and he's not a real physical presence. But, like a Patrick Sharp lite...he knows how to find open spots on the ice, he has a great shot and he finds the spots TO shoot to. He doesn't miss very often and he's not consistently just hitting the goalie. He seems to find those open spots.

Once Hossa gets back on the ice, Brookbank will be watching from the sidelines. But keeping Hossa healthy the rest of the season looks like a problem now.

anotheridiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hossa at this pace is confusing. Before the season I thought they should sit him on back to backs, but they show no confidence in the kids that were replacing him. Rosie and Brookbank should also split back to backs. But the way this is playing out with this cap hit of Versteeg, they are gonna have to swap Smith and Pirri to get someone else up here unless they get another LTIR along the way that nobody wants. Now its Brookbank for Hossa and thats not a good thing either.

averagejoe

You fell victim to one of the classic blunders.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mr. Idiot (really, I don't know how else to respectfully address you),

What's the story behind your "pooh" avatar? Just curious.

gmalis1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hossa at this pace is confusing. Before the season I thought they should sit him on back to backs, but they show no confidence in the kids that were replacing him. Rosie and Brookbank should also split back to backs. But the way this is playing out with this cap hit of Versteeg, they are gonna have to swap Smith and Pirri to get someone else up here unless they get another LTIR along the way that nobody wants. Now its Brookbank for Hossa and thats not a good thing either.

I nominate you to replace Coach Q.

Pretty sure they know what they are doing.

anotheridiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mr. Idiot (really, I don't know how else to respectfully address you),

What's the story behind your "pooh" avatar? Just curious.

No story really. My usual avatar I use is a GIF file and they are not allowed. My work day tends to be avoiding stepping in shit all day long so I kinda like the picture. Are you thinking the right context of poo?

anotheridiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I nominate you to replace Coach Q.

Pretty sure they know what they are doing.

Dont show your stupidity by making comments like this, just tell me many games do you need Hossa to miss before anyone can question the decision then?

anotheridiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tough game. This is the 6 million dollar a year Crawford talk with him getting upset at team mates for turnovers and losing his game. At least Raanta got in a big game against an aggressive opponent. Didnt look terrible, but his rebound control needs to step up a notch.

Colorado was hungry. I see why they put them in the category the hawks were in between 2006 and 2008, lots of speed, more hitting, make the competition look slow all night.

Bickell went out early with a lower body injury. Next guy step up is in florida.

averagejoe

You fell victim to one of the classic blunders.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Avs game was a disaster. Another clunker. Teams like coming out firing at the reigning champs.

I'm willing to chalk it up to just "one of those things." But with the recent Preds blowout, I hope these clunker games don't start getting strung closer and closer together.

Mr. Idiot, is there another kind of pooh? Besides either Winnie or the kind that end up in sewers.

anotheridiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Avs game was a disaster. Another clunker. Teams like coming out firing at the reigning champs.

I'm willing to chalk it up to just "one of those things." But with the recent Preds blowout, I hope these clunker games don't start getting strung closer and closer together.

Mr. Idiot, is there another kind of pooh? Besides either Winnie or the kind that end up in sewers.

I am really not a connoisseur of poo, other than shoveling it all day, but if it was just piles of shit in the picture it wouldnt be funny.

I heard Raanta is getting the start tonite. Bickell is still a lower body with no set return, Jeremy Morin recalled, so I guess someone is going long term injured reserve if that is the key to the salary cap.

gmalis1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dont show your stupidity by making comments like this, just tell me many games do you need Hossa to miss before anyone can question the decision then?

Just rest him for the playoffs then. Maybe he will be healthy by then.

Of course, if the Hawks make the playoffs without Hossa being in the lineup.

Resting him every other game, or every third game or every fourth game or every week won't make a difference. Bad backs are just that...bad backs. They flare up regardless. Could be a bad lumpy mattress in a hotel room.

Like I said before, I trust that Q and the front office staff and Hossa know what his limitations are. I trust their judgement that they all know how to handle this.

Personally, Hossa will never be completely healthy. He may be asymptomatic for stretches of time, but he will relapse. Even if Hossa is rested come playoff time, one good hit or wrong move without even being hit can cause his back to flare up.

Don't show YOUR stupidity by thinking you have a medical degree and know what's best for the team, for Hossa and have a solution to his problem. None of us do.

Last edited by a moderator:

gmalis1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am really not a connoisseur of poo, other than shoveling it all day, but if it was just piles of shit in the picture it wouldnt be funny.

I heard Raanta is getting the start tonite. Bickell is still a lower body with no set return, Jeremy Morin recalled, so I guess someone is going long term injured reserve if that is the key to the salary cap.

It's reported that Bickell will be out a couple of weeks at least (maybe more). So I'm assuming he goes to LTIR and Jeremy Morin is next man up.

And the thought here is: Which would you rather have, Kris Versteeg or Jimmy Hayes? I take Versteeg.

anotheridiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's reported that Bickell will be out a couple of weeks at least (maybe more). So I'm assuming he goes to LTIR and Jeremy Morin is next man up.

And the thought here is: Which would you rather have, Kris Versteeg or Jimmy Hayes? I take Versteeg.

Its not just Versteeg though, you pointed out the problems with the cap. When Versteeg was not here, there were two extra guys that might have had a great practice or just a better option than Brookbank as the 6 minute forward if someone gets hurt in practice. Sure, as a player its not even a discussion, but as a team now stuck with Brookbank at Forward when Hoss goes down, the trade does handcuff the team a bit. I wouldnt be surprised if the hawks end up moving someone just to get a little bit of room for a 600k guy to hang around. You would think Rosie or Brookbank would be a logical move, but that was when we had Stanton and Olsen close as the 7th dman.

Now Bickell goes down and that 6'6 240 pound forward that should be in his spot is in Florida.

That was the whole discussion. Fourth line getting 6 minutes a game is still alot of work for the top 9. I am not complaining, I am just giving the other side.

gmalis1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One aspect that worries me...all the double shifting that Patrick Kane is getting. How long before he gets burned out...or hurt?

anotheridiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Colorado hit Kaner every chance they could. Rode Toews hard too. Sharps head was on a swivel since he was jousting with someone just about every whistle. Thats how Roy wants his team to play. I still think Vegas might have odds of Roy leaving the bench and fighting another coach, ref or player. Colorado made the hawks look slow and even when the hawks wanted to hit someone, they were gone.