• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Larry Webster & Devin Taylor

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Neither really made much of a splash in their 1st year in Austin's system. Taylor played sparingly in a deep DE rotation, and Webster was basically red-shirted. However, they're a pair of physical freaks who I think will make some noise in our defense next year, especially if Austin is retained.

The surprising play of George Johnson and Daryl Tapp limited the chances that both of the young DEs were able to get this year, but I think Tapp is probably either gone, or shifted entirely to LB in place of a Travis Lewis type. We carried 6 DEs last year to protect Webster from waivers, but I don't see that happening again this year. If they thought highly enough of the kid to draft him in the 4th and willingly give up a roster spot all year, knowing all along he wouldn't see the field if things went well on the injury front (which they did) for us, then I think they won't keep him inactive all next season.

The length and athleticism both of these two have is insane, and I'm sure Austin will be able to work them into the defense much better given a full offseason to work together. With Ansah, Jones, and Johnson in front of them Webster and Taylor should be able to tee off late in games, especially in passing situations. As a group, we should be as deep as anyone at the position.

I'm pretty excited to see what these two young pass rushers can do on a defense with the likes of Suh (think positive thoughts), Ansah, Levy, Quin, and Slay that the opposing offense has to account for. With so much attention needed to be spread among our impact defenders these two should see a lot of one-on-one blocking. If they can take advantage of their opportunities this year our defense stands to become even more formidable...

jdwills126

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Webster was drafted as a developmental guy,

I think he replaces Tapp as I could see Tapp getting a better offer. Taylor the jury is out but he could be replaced as soon as this years draft if the guy they want is around in the middle picks.

Rollingthndr

FantasyFootball Pessimist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As much as I hate to say it. We need to draft more CB's maybe even multiple athletic ones and let one of the emerge. Our depth was scary bad towards the end of the season. Even if Bentley and Lawson stayed healthy. Who is to say either of them are any good?

Dr. Evil-er

Mayhew for President 2016
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Even if Bentley and Lawson stayed healthy. Who is to say neither of them are any good?

I fixed the typo. The answer is me, neither of them are any good.

Yeah, yeah, yeah, I know guys, Neville Longbottom was just a rookie last year. He was still another wasted later round CB pick who isn't going to fix the need we have at that position.

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As much as I hate to say it. We need to draft more CB's maybe even multiple athletic ones and let one of the emerge. Our depth was scary bad towards the end of the season. Even if Bentley and Lawson stayed healthy. Who is to say either of them are any good?

Why do you hate to say it? It is absolutely true. We definitely need some CBs sooner rather than later to let Austin have some time with them. I also thought Vaughn was not very good. He got toasted all day the last couple games. Our depth is non existent. I do not see anyone on our roster that could take over for Mathis and be a number 2.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I fixed the typo. The answer is me, neither of them are any good.

Yeah, yeah, yeah, I know guys, Neville Longbottom was just a rookie last year. He was still another wasted later round CB pick who isn't going to fix the need we have at that position.

I don't get the hate here? What was it Lawson did to merit the assertion that he isn't any good? I'm not saying he is, but why write him off already?

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought Lawson played pretty damn well as a nickel-back for the limited time he was healthy. He isn't a #2 type CB by any stretch of the imagination. Him being a 4th rd pick doesn't constitute as a wasted pick, IMO, as our defense still relies upon nickel situations a lot.

I just do not see many CB's in this draft (rounds 1-2) worthy of where they may end up being drafted

Dr. Evil-er

Mayhew for President 2016
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not saying he is, but why write him off already?

Cause I didn't think we needed to draft another Bentley clone when we took him over some of the good interior lineman that offered more upside we could have had.

IMO his ceiling was low to begin with when he was selected. At the time he was chosen we didn't know that Bentley had a banana in his tail pipe that caused him to hold on every damn play. I didn't like the pick then and don't like it now. I expect very little out of him.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
broncosmitty said:
Id take Tre Waynes if hes somehow still there.

me too.....but I see the same thing from him as I did Dennard from last years draft. He has a lot of physicality to him that will need to be tempered down in order to make it in the NFL. JMO

Watch out for Wake Forest CB Kevin Johnson. He's tall, 6'1, skinny and rangy 175 lbs. (needs to visit popeye's chicken several times a day), great vision, extremely good footwork, exceptional transition in his back pedal, fluid with real loose hips, sticks to his man like glue (usually), locates the ball with ease, brings down a WR out in the open with relative ease but he struggles to provide adequate support against the run (mostly due to bad angles, lunging or ankle swiping). Watching him quite a few times these last 2 years, I have yet to figure why he has little trouble bringing down bigger, stronger wr's and yet struggles so much vs rb's or wr's out of the backfield.

just keep your eyes peeled for him

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cause I didn't think we needed to draft another Bentley clone when we took him over some of the good interior lineman that offered more upside we could have had.

IMO his ceiling was low to begin with when he was selected. At the time he was chosen we didn't know that Bentley had a banana in his tail pipe that caused him to hold on every damn play. I didn't like the pick then and don't like it now. I expect very little out of him.

I didn't care for the pick given who was on the board at the time, either, but when Lawson got on the field he looked far more at-home than Bentley.

Bentley is a goner, imo, so Lawson, provided his weird-ass foot dislocation heals properly, should be the front runner for the nickel spot next year. He also stood out on special teams as a gunner in the preseason, so that's added value out of the #3 or #4 CB.

If he doesn't work out, then yes, wasted pick. But I was pleasantly surprised how he held his own when he got tossed in the mix after Bentley went down. I want to see what he's got before I'm willing to call him a bust just because he's not the guy I would have drafted...

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
me too.....but I see the same thing from him as I did Dennard from last years draft. He has a lot of physicality to him that will need to be tempered down in order to make it in the NFL. JMO

Watch out for Wake Forest CB Kevin Johnson. He's tall, 6'1, skinny and rangy 175 lbs. (needs to visit popeye's chicken several times a day), great vision, extremely good footwork, exceptional transition in his back pedal, fluid with real loose hips, sticks to his man like glue (usually), locates the ball with ease, brings down a WR out in the open with relative ease but he struggles to provide adequate support against the run (mostly due to bad angles, lunging or ankle swiping). Watching him quite a few times these last 2 years, I have yet to figure why he has little trouble bringing down bigger, stronger wr's and yet struggles so much vs rb's or wr's out of the backfield.

just keep your eyes peeled for him

Spacing and ball-carrying ability.

WRs who catch a pass have limited reaction time and space to work with. It allows the DB to close on them and cut down their escape options. They have to make the catch, gather their balance, and then assess how they want to get more yards. Much more complex job than simply taking a hand off and getting up the field, imo.

RBs and WRs coming out of the backfield have a lot more space to set up their blockers and with a CB crashing down a good ball carrier will force the defender to commit before making his cut accordingly. Also, pretty much anyone coming out of the backfield with the ball in their hands far better ball carrier than the average wideout...

Last edited by a moderator:

LPinSLC

Gang Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't care for the pick given who was on the board at the time, either, but when Lawson got on the field he looked far more at-home than Bentley.

Bentley is a goner, imo, so Lawson, provided his weird-ass foot dislocation heals properly, should be the front runner for the nickel spot next year. He also stood out on special teams as a gunner in the preseason, so that's added value out of the #3 or #4 CB.

If he doesn't work out, then yes, wasted pick. But I was pleasantly surprised how he held his own when he got tossed in the mix after Bentley went down. I want to see what he's got before I'm willing to call him a bust just because he's not the guy I would have drafted...

:agree:
Dude was a 4th rounder and a rookie playing one of the leagues most difficult positions. He's a shorter CB but makes up for it with physicality. He looked good bumping WR's at the LOS which is a great asset for the quick slants to a slot receiver. Who knows what he'll be but what I did see I liked.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not saying that I expect Longbottom to be great,or even particularly good, but if he can play the slot, even as a dime back, and excel on special teams then it was an alright pick by me.

I wouldn't have drafted a CB that short, but I suppose the nickle is a different animal, and some of those quick little fuckers do well in there...

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Talk about two guys moving in different directions- Webster has disappointed during camp after a strong offseason, whereas Taylor has quietly had a strong camp and is in line for an increased role on the d-line this fall.

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Webster seems to have no technique at all. He just stands there and does nothing. A guy with his physical ability should be better than he is.

Phillip Hunt hopefully becomes the George Johnson of this year. GJ picking up where he left off last year from what I watched of Tampa.

Quackerjacked

Falcon
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just watched the first half of the Jags game with a lot of slow mo and replay and I'm not as impressed with Taylor as I used to be. Definite rotation guy.